Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SK-1 and 2 Tips, Tricks and Other Cool Stuff.

I found these on the Hammond US website:

SK-1 and 2 Gig Bags

I don't recall seeing them mentioned in the past.

Fits perfectly in the Gator TSA hard case....

I have the Gator 49 GKPE TSA case and flew with it a couple of weeks ago. It's sturdy and does the trick for the SK1. Unfortunately, however, the Gator case's external perimeter length (length+width+height) is a little more than 64" which exceeds the maximum of 62" allowed by most domestic airlines. As a result, on the flight out, I got hit with an unexpected $50 extra fee because the A-hole at the check-in desk measured the case and caught the 2" excess. On the return flight, I lucked out and made it with no extra charge.

The bottom line is that airlines during the last couple of years are really cracking down on the baggage policies in an attempt to ramp up profit margins by gouging passengers. I heard this past week-end on the news that some airlines are even going to start charging for normal carry-on luggage.

As a result, I am now looking for an ATA case for my SK1 with a perimeter length of <62" so I don't get stung again. FYI... there is another thread on KC addressing this issue today. Sorry for my rant on this thread and on that one, but I'm still pissed.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

I found these on the Hammond US website:

SK-1 and 2 Gig Bags

I don't recall seeing them mentioned in the past.

Fits perfectly in the Gator TSA hard case....

I have the Gator 49 GKPE TSA case and flew with it a couple of weeks ago. It's sturdy and does the trick for the SK1. Unfortunately, however, the Gator case's external perimeter length (length+width+height) is a little more than 64" which exceeds the maximum of 62" allowed by most domestic airlines. As a result, on the flight out, I got hit with an unexpected $50 extra fee because the A-hole at the check-in desk measured the case and caught the 2" excess. On the return flight, I lucked out and made it with no extra charge.

The bottom line is that airlines during the last couple of years are really cracking down on the baggage policies in an attempt to ramp up profit margins by gouging passengers. I heard this past week-end on the news that some airlines are even going to start charging for normal carry-on luggage.

As a result, I am now looking for an ATA case for my SK1 with a perimeter length of <62" so I don't get stung again. FYI... there is another thread on KC addressing this issue today. Sorry for my rant on this thread and on that one, but I'm still pissed.

This is true. My girlfriend just got home from Trinidad visiting her folks and they charged a shit load just to check bags. It's really unbelievable. Flying is such a pain in the ass.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

This is true. My girlfriend just got home from Trinidad visiting her folks and they charged a shit load just to check bags. It's really unbelievable. Flying is such a pain in the ass.

Yeah... When the jerk at the check-in desk measured the Gator GKPE 49 case I had my SK1 in a couple weeks ago, he actually used a laser measuring tape and caught the 2" excess in total perimeter length. With jet fuel prices at an all time high, the airlines are squeezing customers big time on baggage. If this trend of tightening up on air baggage and carry-ons continues in the States, it looks like VST's on a laptop or small modules may end up being the way forward if one is flying. Then one would have to buy or borrow a cheap controller on sight, or make sure one is provided in the backline.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

I am a french people and for my SK2 use an STAGG KTC 115.

In this case ican put MAy hammond SK2 with his power supply, EXP 50 pedal, Footswitch pedal and setero audio cable.

This one is also a trley capability.

In dont know if this mark can buy in US ?

The link web site manufacturer :

http://www.staggmusic.com/en/product_detail/ktc-115.html

FYI - Walmart.com sells gig bags for Casio keyboards. Having read about the zipper failure on the more expensive Hammond gig bag I bought one for about $28 that fits the SK-1. I have it in hand & will use it tonite. It seems to be reasonably built with (2) large pockets . Will let you know how it holds up.. .....

http://www.walmart.com/ip/World-Tour-Deluxe-Keyboard-Gig-Bag-for-Casio-CTK2100/15048513

• 1 month later...

A new update for the SK-1 and 2 has been released:

http://tinyurl.com/SK-1-2Updates

The ability to trigger the organ sounds at the higher trigger point has been added (when playing organ alone and not layered with an EV). Also, for those who would like to have a keyboard positioned above the SK-1 act as the upper manual new MIDI in parameters have been added. And for those with the XPK-100 pedals the SK's have been programmed to respond to the signal sent by the Control button (CC#92) to toggle between fast and slow speeds.

From the readme file:

Updated Areas:

- The Voice Group in the [A.PIANO] and [LIBRARY] categories may be toggled by multiple presses of the Group Button.

- Leslie Fast switch can now be controlled via MIDI by receiving cc#92

- A new control parameter "SOUNDING POINT" has been added to the CONTROL menu page. You can set the shallow key depth when the [ALLOCATE] is OFF (Organ section only).

- Two new modes have been added to the "MIDI IN" menu: "UPPER" and "UPP+PED" These modes allow the use of the Sk-1 keyboard as the LOWER part and an external MIDI keyboard as the UPPER or UPPER+PEDAL part.

Also, after the sload file installs itself it should delete itself from the USB drive.

There is a new library - Orchestral Harp.

http://www.suzuki-music.co.jp/hammond/sk1_sk2/index.html#library13

Click on the box to the left of the one labelled "Special"

The ability to trigger the organ sounds at the higher trigger point has been added (when playing organ alone and not layered with an EV)....

YES! I'm just a week away from ordering my SK-1. This is the one update I have been hoping for. I know what a difference the higher trigger point made on my XK-1. This is sweeeeet!

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

Seems that unit will not power up holding the three buttons down. Updated several times before without incident. Any idea why this is happening?

Did you figure it out? I see that the original post was deleted while I typed a response.

Try powering on normally and letting it install the sload file first. Also, are you holding the correct buttons? I held the three Leslie buttons down twice and wondered why it only installed the sload file. I finally looked at the PDF and was reminded which buttons I was supposed to hold. :facepalm:

Well although I did not get the second prompt after powering off on with flash drive still installed, all seems to working as it should and I now have the trigger point option. What a difference! Action almost now feels too light. Going to have to work with a while but it is a welcomed and major update as far as I am concerned.

Wow, great update !

Two weeks ago I asked the Hammond Germany about the higher trigger point possibility and they told me that they forwarded my request to the engineering in Japan and now it's possible....

Very happy to have nearly the same feeling now as at my XK3c, great great great.

The update worked without any problems on my SK2 !

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

The ability to trigger the organ sounds at the higher trigger point has been added (when playing organ alone and not layered with an EV). Also, for those who would like to have a keyboard positioned above the SK-1 act as the upper manual new MIDI in parameters have been added...

This is great news! I was thinking I'd have to wait for an SK1c before it'd have this feature. My Japanese is non-existent, so I'll wait till the update appears on the US site before I dive in.

John

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

It sometimes takes weeks to show up. The readme file and installation instruction PDF are both in english. It is easy to do.

Download it

Unzip it.

Copy everything (all the unzipped files) in it to the System directory on the USB drive.

Hold the 3 buttons in the upper left corner (Control, Song and Play/Pause) and power on.

Get a cup of coffee, beer or beverage of choice and wait a few minutes.

Power off/on and play.

Updated yesterday without any problems. As the manga-guide advices I only had to copy 5 files to the usb stick.

This update really makes a big difference, once you adjust a bit to the new touch. Very nice job, H-S.

Now, the next update should deal with the overdrive. Another nice thing would be the ability to switch extra voices on and off with the foot switch or damper pedal.

Many of the best things in life are four-letter words, like Jazz, Saab. And Cats.

The manga assumes that people have already updated to release 4 or 5. If they haven't then the second acoustic piano library hasn't been installed. It is easier to just copy everything until the owner is comfortable doing it and knows which files are which.

I have had some 8 Gb drives that didn't work for updates. It has to do with the way the memory works. SanDisk uses the method that isn't as compatible. The drives seem to work fine for setups and libraries. I suggest using the smaller one for the update.

Here is some info about the memory types:

SLC vs. MLC memory

There really isn't any way to determine which type a USB drive is.

Thanks, Jim. Couldn't find my 128MB stick so I just went with a Kingston 8GB. It worked fine.

The upgrade is killer. The new higher trigger point makes it feel just like the XK3. I can fly on this thing now! The only downside is now I have to go back in the studio and re-cut a couple of the songs I did this past Monday since I still wasn't 100% adjusted to the deeper trigger on the SK2. This is fantastic.

It sometimes takes weeks to show up. The readme file and installation instruction PDF are both in english. It is easy to do.

Download it

Unzip it.

Copy everything (all the unzipped files) in it to the System directory on the USB drive.

Hold the 3 buttons in the upper left corner (Control, Song and Play/Pause) and power on.

Get a cup of coffee, beer or beverage of choice and wait a few minutes.

Power off/on and play.

Thanks JMcS. Took your advice, and yes it was easy from the Japanese site. The only slightly weird thing was, when I put the usb in to verify that it was the one I'd used for previous upgrades, it immediately went into the upgrade process and re-upgraded me to release 5 - no power on while holding down the three buttons required.

Now I'm off to try the upgrade out for the first it at a daytime gig at the market.

John

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …