Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SK-1 and 2 Tips, Tricks and Other Cool Stuff.

Thanks for the info.

I have to delete something from the library to check out these. One strange thing is, that I'm not able to delete the (for me completely useless) Tr. Organ_VxJ bank from the library.

Many of the best things in life are four-letter words, like Jazz, Saab. And Cats.

Ok. Just wondering why the Tr.Organ library is under the "Library" -button, as everything else there is user manageable.

The Synth 1 - library is (mostly) not my cup of tea. That is, it is more or less a cup of tea from the 80s.

But, anyway, I bought the instrument for the organ sounds.

Many of the best things in life are four-letter words, like Jazz, Saab. And Cats.

There are 6 EV buttons and 6 System libraries so I guess they wanted all the buttons assigned to something out of the box. It might have been more practical to have the Tr. Organ and Keyboard libraries both assigned to the Keyboard button similar to how the A and B Acoustic Piano libraries are assigned to the A. Piano button. The Tr. Organ file is only 20,628 bytes so it doesn't really affect the memory either way.

Just FYI: after four months of light duty the zipper on my Hammond-branded soft gigbag for the SK2 has given out and the case is now useless. The actual shell of the case still looks like new but the cheapo zipper has failed in the back corner. I was using it about 1-2 times a week and put no stress on it.

I sent Hammond an email asking about warranty - no reply yet but I don't hold out much hope. This is the case that came free as part of a promo in February, but it sells in some places for as much as $239.

http://www.b3guys.com/umages/R275_SC_Sk2_front.jpg

I had a hard case made for my SK2 it is beautiful, $300 but you could fly with it and it would be safe, super dense padding all over the inside and the outside has corner guards etc, been gigging with it since December and it is serving me beautifully. The SK is so light that even with the case it's not that heavy. Company is Roadie 1-800-645-1707
Music.

The case I have ordered is a Gator injected molded TSA case:

http://www.gatorcases.com/p/216151-1569/gxdf-2838-8-tsa

It was about $350 including the diced foam for customing the interior. I believe it will hold the SK2 plus expression, sustain pedals and power supply.

I really didn't want a plywood/ATA style case so that made the search process harder. The GXDF2838-8-TSA is one of the few off-the-rack utility cases that fits the SK2. I will post pix of the case with keyboard when it arrives.

I have been using a generic Levy's Leathers foam padded gig bag that I paid $30 new for and have been using on average once a week for 12 years and it still works fine. Been through about 7 digital pianos with it.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Hi. I was wondering, is it possible to assign an 'extra voice' to the upper and to the lower voice when using a keyboard split on the SK1, for exemple a piano voice at the lower part and strings at the upper part? Tnx.

No, only one EV can be used at a time.

would like the settings for my sk1 to sound like Keith

Emersons organ on the song Hoedown, any suggestions. on youtube, there is a couple of demos of the new sound library banks. does anyone know if there is a sight that I can hear all the sound banks. If not, might not be a bad idea for a post.

Emersons organ on the song Hoedown, any suggestions. on youtube, there is a couple of demos of the new sound library banks. does anyone know if there is a sight that I can hear all the sound banks.

Organ sounds are not a matter of sound banks... they are a matter of setting the drawbar and related settings appropriately. Sound libraries are for non-organ sounds. That said, it may not be possible to exactly duplicate a particular Emerson sound, because (a) digital tonewheel recreations are still not perfect and (b) Emerson's organ and amplifier components were often custom "hot-rodded" to begin with so you're not necessarily actually even aiming for a stock C3+122 sound. Also, in Emerson's case, a lot of the sound you're probably looking for is in the overdrive, which unfortunately, is an area where the SK1/SK2 is generally considered kind of weak. You might have better luck running the SK through a Ventilator, or a real tube amp. Emerson's sound was arguably as much in his amp/speaker setup as the Hammond itself, so there are two halves to what you're trying to emulate.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

In the SK1, I see there´s three options of source to control the WAH effect: the pedal (obvious), manual and LFO.

What´s the difference between the other two besides the pedal? I believe one is similar to the mutron type auto wah... So how does the other differ? Maybe similar to the wah 2 type on the Nord Electros? That wah 2 on the electro is the only non-pedal-controlable wah that I find usable to my taste...

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

LFO is like an LFO on a synth - you can assign one of four waveforms (Tri, Sqr, Saw, Sample & Hold) to sweep the filter. In the MANUAL mode you control the filter from the extra voice/drawbars effects amount pots, using the knob like a cutoff filter pot on a synth.

The nice thing is that you can adjust the sensitivity, resonance, waveform, rate and center frequency, and save those parameters in a patch (as well as the control source).

Emersons organ on the song Hoedown, any suggestions. on youtube, there is a couple of demos of the new sound library banks. does anyone know if there is a sight that I can hear all the sound banks. If not, might not be a bad idea for a post.

Have you seen the emerson preset based on "the promenade" from pic of the exibition? Even the moogish sound when the gnome appears are there!

At 3:26 in this video! That preset is default in hammond sk.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y1x04hAUT4

And I think Peter G use that preset in this music store at 0:42

[video:youtube]

NS2 88, Yamaha Cp300, Moog Little Phatty, Hammond Sk2, Roland Fantom X6, Ventilator, Nord C2D, Leslie 3300, Leslie 122

• 2 weeks later...
what peter g is using is the voice setting is what exactly i am looking for. the voice when he starts playing is what i am really looking for. you said it is in the default setting of the sk1. how do i get it. i changed some settings in my sk1, namely leslie speed and etc. how can i get these settings for the voice in my sk1 thank you..........Larry

• 2 weeks later...

The "Bypass" Switch

Just as with the onboard Leslie sim, your normal playing position is with the Bypass switch OFF. In this mode, the 8Pin connector sends all three audio signals (organ, EV L/R) and the two speed toggles (stop, fast) to the 2101.

If you turn Bypass ON, Pin 1 is muted, and the "rotary" audio is rerouted to the "stationary" audio on Pins 4/6. In this mode, the 8Pin connector sends only L/R stereo audio -- the organ and EVs are submixed together, exactly as if you were using only the dedicated L/R 1/4" outs. The speed controls are still active, but useless since no rotary signal is present.

Can you please clarify the usage of the 8-pin output with a converter cable? Is it possible to send Organ only (including simulated Leslie) as a plain audio signal through that output, and the extra voices through the standard 1/4" outs, so they can be routed separately to a mixer?

With the Nord Electro 2, you can configure the L/R stereo outputs as two mono channels, one with organ and one with the extra voices. This does not seem possible with the SK1 [having perused the manual], so I was was wondering whether the 8-pin output could be used (without a Leslie or a Ventilator) to similar effect. I do this with the Nord in order to have separate control over the volume.

I was looking at an SK2 and had this same question. I scrolled through the rest of this thread and didn't see an answer. Sorry if I missed it, but if anyone knows I'd love to hear. I just want to know if there is any way to get one output with organs and another for EV's.

The only way to have the organ and EV's on separate outputs is via the 8 pin cable/connector. An adapter can be made but AFAIK no one sells them.

I'm game for making a 8-pin -> 1/4 adapter if that lets me access organ & EV's separately. But one of the posts I quoted above threw me because it says on the leslie out "the organ and EVs are submixed together, exactly as if you were using only the dedicated L/R 1/4" outs."

That may have been taken out of context though. I flipped through the SK2 manual online and on p. 86 it says:

========

EXTERNAL LESLIE SPEAKER

⓴LESLIE CHANNELS

Sets the channel for the Leslie speaker connected to the LESLIE 8-PIN jack.

1ch: For connecting a 1 channel Leslie cabinet such as the 122XB, 3300/W (non-expansion). The Drawbar and the percussion sounds are output only from the rotary channel, the other voices are from the LINE OUT jack.

3ch: This is for connecting a 3 channel Leslie cabinet such as the 2101/mk2, 3300/W (stationary expanded). The Drawbar and the percussion sounds are output from the rotary channel, the Extra Voices are from the stationary channel of the Main and Aux.

NOTE: This is a system parameter. It is recorded upon setting, and is common with all patches.

================

So in the "3-channel" setting, it sounds like the organ and EV's are all being sent out through the 8-pin jack. That must be what the original post was describing.

On the "1-channel" setting it's organ only through the 8-pin jack and EV's through the 1/4 inch jacks, so that should work.

Also, FWIW, the manual says on p.9:

============

EXTRA VOICE SECTION

The Organ and Extra Voice can be used together, and their outputs can be individually accessed, using the 8-pin Leslie speaker jack for the organ voice.

==============

So I guess I may have answered my own question whether this is possible. I was just hoping for someone with an SK2 to chime in and confirm that this actually works as described. This is a deal-breaker point for me and no stores in my town carry an SK2, so I just wanted to be absolutely certain.

When you have the digital Leslie set for three channel (and you do not have a Leslie attached) and you turn the Bypass on the signal does not go through the digital Leslie before it goes to the 1/4" outputs. If you are connected to a Leslie via the 8 pin cable, the organ signal goes to the Leslie via the Rotary channel and the EV's go to the stationary channels (in a 2101) via the stationary/Aux. channels in the 8 pin cable. In addition, the EV's are also available at the SK's 1/4" jacks (but not the organ). With a Leslie connected, when the Bypass is turned on the organ signal stops being sent through the 8 pin rotary channel and is instead sent through the 2 stationary/Aux. channels. It also is sent to the SK's 1/4" jacks.

There is a graphic on pg. 53 that shows the button states and Leslie modes.

Since there is nowhere else for the signal to go in a single channel Leslie the sound is always sent to the Leslie.