Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SK-1 and 2 Tips, Tricks and Other Cool Stuff.

Ok...I got a 4gig new usb....3 files in sys folder ...all lib files in library folder and thats it.... Do I do anything with the read me files? There are 2 ...1 I can read and the other seems to have computer language.....HELP

All the library files that are in the update ZIP file go in the System folder on the USB drive. You can either copy the readme files to the System folder or leave them off. One of the readme files is a Japanese file.

The downloadable Library files Like the Choir and Vocal and Chamber Strings (all the libraries named Lib-VL....) go in the "Lib" folder on the USB drive. Incidentally, those files can be re-named to indicate what sounds they contain before they are copied to the USB drive to make it easier to keep track of them on your computer and on the USB drive. The SK-1 reads the name of the file from data in the file so it knows what to display.

I believe if you copy the System libraries to the Library folder the SK-1 will see them as loadable libraries. The original System Libraries will still be there in the System folder and accessible via their normal buttons but you would see the replacements in the list of libraries that could be loaded and assigned to the Library button

Sanzdisk

Thanks.

I have to unzip them first right?

Yes. You can either unzip them to your hard drive and copy them to the folder or just unzip them to the System folder on the USB drive.

I tried everything you said ......4gig sanzdisk new latest ver4 extracted all files put all in sys folder except for pdf file and 2 read me files......Then added lib-vl files 3 ,,,, usb still flashing and display reads the same....I guess I'll call Hammond tomorrow and see if they can help me.....Too much time doing this and I want to enjoy it.....Only thing I can think of is Maybe Sanzdisk is not compatible.....but it did format it?

What are you doing to start the update?

Format the USB drive in the SK-1.

Copy the unzipped Release 4 files to the System folder on the USB drive.

Power the SK-1 off.

Connect the USB drive to the SK-1.

Press and hold the [Control], [song] and [Play/Pause] buttons and power on.

The SK-1 should look for the files on the USB drive and carry on from there on its own.

Edit:

Just to test things first, do a reset of the SK-1: Power off, Press and hold the [Record] button and power on. It should display "Loading Default...".

Save a setup file to the USB drive to make sure the SK-1 can access and save to it.

If both work properly try the update.

Is it a SanDisk drive or are you writing what is actually on the drive?

Check the installed libraries and see how much memory you have left. The Release 4 update adds an additional Acoustic piano file to the memory and if there are too many installed extra libraries and not enough memory left for the new System Library that may be causing a problem.

Most of the SanDisk drives as shipped include their own software that makes a non-writable "CD" drive, then a regular drive, as part of the ability to encrypt the files. Any of the Cruzer series will have thie "U3" software.

The FIRST thing needed on a SanDisk USB drive that is going to be used with SK-1 (or other similar situation) is to remove this software. The following link has a Windows based tool that will accomplish this: http://u3.sandisk.com/launchpadremoval.htm

This link supposedly works on a Mac (for certain OS versions) Mac software link

I do not own a Mac, so I cannot confirm that it works.

Or - just go buy a USB drive that is NOT a SanDisk.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

ok I was able to create set up and save it to the sansdisk ..I saw it and loaded it back in and saw it on the computer..so it seems (usb) to accept data from sk1 ? ..loaded all ver 4 zipped in sys folder.....didn't work/////loaded extracted (unzipped files in sys folder......didn't work.....my sansdisk is a ver 2 not a 3 so the remove site wouldn't accept it. Didn"t apply.....Tomorrow I get a 4 gig hp or sony usb...Wish me luck and Thanks for all the help.....

Is a Sansdisk usb drive kind of like a Relox watch?

The 8Gb drives I have had trouble with are SanDisk Cruzer drives.

The 4Gb PNY drive I am using now seems to no longer be in production. It is about an inch long and swivels in a U shaped metal frame.

Hey Good Afternoon............Well I got a HP 4Gig USB and did the process and it is now Updating as I type....Thank God and thank this Forum and its members, Which now includes me This one for the sk and I also own Korg M50.....and some others but those 2 for now is my rig......Each 1 is 15-18 lbs... Weight is an issue now for me. This works.....Thanks too you guys... I'll stay in tune with this forum, Maybe now I can help others...Lesson 1 I don't like sandisk. Not good for Hammond sk .....jUST CHECKED AND THE SK IS STILL LOADING ...yeah! I'll let you know.....soon

Oh By the way...Hammond said (I called)..when updating SYS unzipp all files and put everything from that Update in the sys folder EXCEPT the1 PDF file and the 2 READ ME files...everything else is sys file and goes in the SYS folder....Do not include any Library Voices ...This you can do after the sys update and place those files in the library folder......and do that process.........

Everything worked fine ...Now I want to add voices from the library...But do I need to Format the drive every time? and What about the files in the sys folder? leave them there or delete? and use Hp drive (of course). I know they go in the Library folder .Nobody home at Hammond....

The Libraries are here:

SK- Libraries

Since you have already formatted the USB drive - which also creates the necessary directory structure, you just have to download the Library, unzip it and copy it to the "Lib" directory on the USB drive. The link above has a link you can click on for instructions. Also, see pg's 124 - 126 in the manual.

Since you will probably never fill up the USB drive you might as well leave the System files on it. It is a good idea to have them handy in case of an emergency anyway.

Thanks again...........Hey the bad bad Sandisk is working ...so far I've been loading library files to SK1 with it ...So not a total waste... Strange why it wouldn't read the SYS file?....The HP usb worked for updating the system..No problem.... Say theres not much room in the sk to hold a lot in the library....I guess I'll have to back up the whole factory settings before I start deleting stuff...............I read that can take real long time 4hrs?

I've never had it take nearly that long. I think the issue with the drives is timing. When the SK-1 is powered on I think it checks the drive and if the drive doesn't react quick enough the update won't start.

That drive will probably work fine for setups, libraries and music files. You can install some libraries and then save a "Whole Setup" that will contain those libraries and any presets you save that use them. You can then delete some or all of the libraries and add others and then save the "Whole Setup" that uses them. Don't delete the System libraries that are in the "Sys" folder.

There was a similar issue with CF cards in the XK-3. It needed a card that worked on 5 volts. The computer and cf card technology started to switch to 3 volts but were supposed to be backwards compatible to 5 volt systems. Some manufacturers weren't very successful at making dual voltage capable cards. The XK-3 wouldn't boot up if the card didn't respond properly at the boot up test.

Good Luck.

Regarding the EPs and Clavs on the SK1/2... how close to Nord and Kurzweil level of details and stuff can you get with them? Does that require too much menu diving and trial and error?

I ask that cause for my taste the Rhodes, Wurlys and Clavs on the Nord Stage/Electro and the Kurz SP4 and PC3 are the best you can get on hardware keys (IMHO)... But the organ (the sound I use 50% of the time on a gig) on the Kurzweils are not quite there IMHO and with NOrd, you have to spend too much to have some multi timbrality (aka buying an expensive Nord Stage).... If those same sounds on the SK1 can get close to the Nords and Kurzes (esp talking about Kurzweil, with their focus on the reproduction of classic sounds, which I like very much) I guess I´m going to trade my NE2 on a SK1...

I know that quality and taste are subjective, and those examples that I gave may be not everyone cup of tea, but so far, what I heard from the SK1 EPs and clavs sound very rompleristic to my ears...

Thing is I´m desperately needing some multi timbral capacity without losing sound quality and without schlepping another board on my present gig (I play with just a NOrd Electro)... And just can´t find a damn SK1 to test in Brazil... Thanks...

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

If I want to use a 73 key controller board with the SK1, does the SK1 play all 73 keys , even though it is only 61 keys, or just the 61 keys?

Thanks

Using my Alesis QS8 as a controller for the SK1, it only triggers the 61-note range for organ sounds. The extra voices trigger on the full range of my Alesis.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

• 2 weeks later...

I copied the following from another topic since it has to do with USB drives:

I don't know why but I have not had good luck updating the SK-1 with 8 and 16Gb USB drives. They seem to work fine for setup and library files as well as audio files. The SK-1 and 2 tips topic:

SK-1 Tips topic

has some information regarding the problems someone else recently had with a SanDisk 8Gb USB drive. Pretty much the same problem you are having. (Edit: I just read more of the earlier posts and he started with a SanDisk 4Gb drive). He bought a 4Gb HP USB drive and it worked fine. I have used 1, 2 and 4 Gb drives to update mine with no trouble. The 8 (SanDisk Cruzer) and 16Gb (PNY) drives I tried did the same thing yours is doing.

It is my understanding that there are two types of chips used in USB drives: MLC and SLC. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any details about these chips. I don't know of any way to determine which type is in any particular drive. Maybe it has to do with the speed of the chips.

I just found this regarding the differences in the chips:

MLC vs SLC

More info re: MLC & SLC chips

In order to keep the cost down some of the USB drive makers may be using MLC chips in the larger drives.

(The topic I copied this from is "Re: Updating Hammond SK 1 operating system. Need advice")

One more link to MLC/SLC info.

I copied this from another post. It has info about an 8G drive that worked for an update.

OK. Using an 8G Voyager drive, this is what I did.

Formatted the drive according to directions on Hammond support link

Downloaded the system update files

Placed all if the files with the exception of the the "Lib VL.....sys into the systems folder. Placed the other file in the library folder

Inserted drive into SK and then powered up while holding the three buttons as is indicated in the directions

Watched as files were loaded and after about 10 minutes, message came up to power off and "good luck."

Powered off, removed drive, and did normal power up and all is well. No favorites or settings lost.

Here is some information regarding mp3 and wav files from another topic:

I use a program called Switch Sound File Converter to convert Itune files to wma for loading onto flash drive for use with SK2/

Thanks for the information.

Here is a link to the company home page:

Switch mp3 converter

I downloaded the free version and it converted the mp3s I had tried previously and they played properly. Use the 44.1kHz 16bit stereo attribute. I tried the default (6kHz, 16bit mono) to see if smaller files would work and they didn't.

The files end up much larger than the mp3s but the SK-1 plays them with no trouble.

Friday, April 06, 2012

Hammond Sk1 Is Awarded Top Prizes at 2012 Frankfurt Musikmesse

Frankfurt Germany -- Hammond Suzuki Sk1 Organ Stage Keyboard is awarded 2 top prizes MIPA Keyboard of The Year - Jon Hammond reporting Michael Falkenstein *here with MIPA Award gave acceptance speech in English, nice job Michael! http://laterent.blogspot.com/2012/04/hammond-sk1-is-awarded-top-prizes-at.html

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/306269_3226826183454_1804019965_n.jpg

Finally got the CU-1 half-moon Leslie switch for my SK2 (they were back-ordered from H/S). Some thoughts about it: first, I like it... I thought it might get in the way of my playing but it doesn't. Much easier and faster to switch speeds with the CU-1 rather than reaching up to the top panel. The CU-1 mounts easily via two thumbscrews (see Pg. 20 of SK owner's manual).

Looks like I have to attach/detach the CU-1 every time I move the organ. I'd rather leave it in place but that could be a liability. The CU-1's attached cable is a little too long so it dangles under the organ - unless I rig up some kind of cable management under there. The cables for the expression pedal and damper pedal are too long also so I may mount some small cable clamps under the SK2 anyway. Also the CU-1 is a little pricey compared to a simple footswitch but it's solid and "authentic" I guess.