Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SK-1 and 2 Tips, Tricks and Other Cool Stuff.

Hi all. SK2 with 8 pin cable into a 2101 mkii, and 1/4" out from SK2 mono jack into a keyboard amp.

Using selection #3 here's what I have; with bypass turned on, raw/dry organ ( no speed controls) and all ev's go to the stationary channels of the 2101 and to the keyboard amp. With bypass turned OFF, organ (with speed controls)goes into the 2101 rotarys; the ev's go into the stationary channels of the 2101 and to the keyboard amp.

Using selection #1 here is what I have; with bypass turned on, organ goes to 2101 rotarys, speed controls work and ev's go to the stationary channels; ev's also go to keyboard amp. With bypass turned OFF it is the same as bypass turned on.

What amp/Leslie configuration are you looking to hook up? Hopefully this helps you.

I also have a Vent but not using it much as the sim, once dialed into your taste, really gets the job done. Also I find that if you use a Vent with 1/4" from the SK2, the ev's get into the rotary unless you hit the bypass on the Vent, and then the organ is dry unless you hit the bypass on the SK2, then you have the organ sim signal working properly ( Leslie-fied) and the ev's working properly. So, sometimes less is more. ;^) good luck!

Hi all. SK2 with 8 pin cable into a 2101 mkii, and 1/4" out from SK2 mono jack into a keyboard amp.

Using selection #3 here's what I have; with bypass turned on, raw/dry organ ( no speed controls) and all ev's go to the stationary channels of the 2101 and to the keyboard amp. With bypass turned OFF, organ (with speed controls)goes into the 2101 rotarys; the ev's go into the stationary channels of the 2101 and to the keyboard amp.

Using selection #1 here is what I have; with bypass turned on, organ goes to 2101 rotarys, speed controls work and ev's go to the stationary channels; ev's also go to keyboard amp. With bypass turned OFF it is the same as bypass turned on.

What amp/Leslie configuration are you looking to hook up? Hopefully this helps you.

I also have a Vent but not using it much as the sim, once dialed into your taste, really gets the job done. Also I find that if you use a Vent with 1/4" from the SK2, the ev's get into the rotary unless you hit the bypass on the Vent, and then the organ is dry unless you hit the bypass on the SK2, then you have the organ sim signal working properly ( Leslie-fied) and the ev's working properly. So, sometimes less is more. ;^) good luck!

Thanks! I really only use rhodes, clav, and organ (occasionally wurly), and I have separate effects chains for organ and the other sounds. (EP's/clav go to guitar amp, organ to PA.) So that's why I need to be able to access them separately.

I'm sort of thinking out loud below, just to make sure I understand how this all works, but if anything looks wrong please let me know.

Your results confirm that the first post that tripped me up was talking about selection #3, with the bypass on. (Going back and re-reading the full post that was quoted, that is indeed what was being described.)

So for selection #3 with bypass on, organ and EV's all get mixed down and sent to the 1/4" outs and also the leslie stationary outs.

So selection #3 would only work for me if the bypass is off and I make a cable that pulls the organ from pin #1 (as described here (https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2419203/Hammond_SK1_to_Neo_Ventilator_)). The EV's would be isolated and accessible from the 1/4" outs.

Selection #1 would work the same (regardless of how the bypass switch is set). I can pull organ from pin #1 and EV's from 1/4" outs.

That would work, though it makes me wonder about options for the leslie effect. I use a vent now and it definitely sounds like I can pull a dry organ signal from pin #1 to use the vent for leslie. But if the SK2's sim is really on par with the vent I'd certainly be open to using that instead.

So can you pull an organ-only sound from the SK2 that uses the SK2's internal sim? Based on what is written here (https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2338957#Post2338957) if you don't ground pin #2, the SK2 will not think an external leslie is connected. So would it follow that if you make a cable pulling the organ from pin #1 but leaving pin #2 ungrounded the SK2 will use its internal sim?

I hope that makes sense. Thanks again for everyone's help!

I'm venturing it would be possible to carry the SK1 on to an airplane too. I hope to test that theory sometime soon. :cool:

Sorry for the segway in this thread... But has anyone tried to fly with an SK1 as carry-on baggage yet?

I have a 61 key SKB flight case, but it weighs more than the SK1(!) and I would prefer, if possible, to try to carry-on the SK1 in a NE 61 gig bag for a trip I'm taking in about a month.

Unfortunately, the SK1 is still too damn long for carry-on according to a literal intepretation of the airlines' specs for carry-on baggage. But I also know that sometimes, some airlines will pragmatically bend the rules, as I've seen people on occasion carrying on back-packs, duffle bags, etc. that are obviously too long.

I guess the same question about the possibility of SK1 carry-on could be posed to NE 61 owners, since it is nearly the same size as the SK1.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Anyone else tried to use the USB-connected music player on the SK1/2? The output from this thing is very 'hot'. If the main volume knob has any significant gain on it at all, the player will blast you out at minimal setting of it's own volume knob. I assume this is functioning correctly in my SK1, and I can't find a way to reduce it's output in the menu system.

Just have to remember to turn the main volume WAY down before firing up the player.

But I also know that sometimes, some airlines will pragmatically bend the rules

Call them! I used to call airlines when I was flying with a Nord Stage Compact, it usually worked out.

Thanks for the rec but I already called Southwest a week ago when I purchased my ticket, and was referred back to their website where the specs for carry-ons were listed and of course the SK1 is too long by 11 inches (24" length max). I called back and was told that I could try my luck and attempt to carry-on the SK1 at the gate, but Southwest couldn't promise that it would be allowed. I was advised to check it or purchase an extra seat to make sure. This is the basis of my query to other KC members to see if they have managed to slide though the gate with an SK1 or a similarly-sized keyboard (like the NE1).

Oh well... Either I won't take the SK1 or I'll carefully pack it in bubble wrap inside the SKB flight case, cross my fingers, and check it. I've already had two bad experiences during the last decade checking and flying keyboards in flight cases. Once, the flight case was lost and arrived the next day. Another time, the case and the keyboard were slightly damaged. This is of course why I never check my laptop, and my SK1 is more valuable than it.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

The downside of checking instruments in flight cases is that some baggage handlers see them as indestructible and treat them that way.

Hammond SK1, Casio Privia PX5-S, SpaceStation V.3, Behringer B1200D, 2-EV ZxA1s

MacBook Air, Novation ReMOTE 37SL, Logic, Pianoteq 5 Stage, Scarbee Vintage Keys

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!

In Europe they generally only allow one carry on, so I had to check my NER2r in it's case a few times. Each time they asked me if I wanted to check it through their oversize/special baggage option. Didn't cost any extra, but they seem to treat stuff checked that way better. I'd love to see that as a standard option here in the States.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

On my XK-1, I can set the key trigger points by holding down the 3 leslie buttons during power up. Can the trigger points be set (low or high) on the SK?

No. Since the EV's can be layered and split with the organ the trigger point is set at the lower switch so that both sounds would trigger at the same time.

The downside of checking instruments in flight cases is that some baggage handlers see them as indestructible and treat them that way.

Yeah you're right. But despite my whining, out of about 20 times checking a keyboard, I only had problems a couple times. So the Sk1 will probably be OK if I check it.... But still the SK1 is a costly two grand instrument. It's not a $500 Privia where I wouldn't be so concerned if it got a few nicks from an overly aggressive baggage handler.

Just a quick very useful "tip" that most of the those looking at this thread on KC are probably already aware of.

When playing with blues, Zydeco, roots rock, and R&B acts in the past 10 -15 years, I would usually bring both a piano and an organ and stack the organ (i.e. Hammond XB2/XK2/XK1) above and piano below, as most players do. When taking a ride on the piano, especially during a slow blues song, I typically hold or comp a little on a simple 2-3 note root dominant 7th chord (e.g. 1-5 or 1-7) with my left hand on organ and solo on piano with my right hand. IMHO the organ chord kind of adds a ballsy texture and an underbelly for the piano solo, almost like a pad.

Anyway, after getting the SK1 a couple of weeks ago, I saved a simple set up on it where I selected a default split with the mono grand on the right and organ on the left. I then held the split button down until the split menu showed up and paged twice to the right. I then dialed up the organ split an octave, tweaked the drawbars. C/V , and percussion to give the organ the "pad-like" sound I like. I then recorded and saved. Even though there is not much real estate to work with, this set-up got me through a couple of slow blues songs a few nights ago without having to lug two boards. The bottom line is that I had a high quality B3 and decent AP "sound" split on one board that weighed just 15 pounds.

For my style of playing, this capability of splitting organ on the left and piano on the right is very important when I don't want to lug two boards, and I don't think that I'm the only one who plays this style. It's noteworthy that, even though just about any cheap rompler can split the board, it's not possible to do this on the NE 1/2/3 because they are monotimbral and this is the main reason I have passed them up as all-in-one Swiss Army knife boards for nearly a decade. I'm still shocked that Nord hasn't responded to the "memo" about multitimbral capability with their new Electro 4D board. Although, to their credit, they finally jumped the rather low hurdle for physical drawbars / faders. Sorry for the Nord bashing. The Electros are still great boards, but not for my playing style. I'm also aware that Nord's Stage boards are multitimbral and do splits but they are too pricey for this cheap old fart.

• 2 weeks later...
quote zoooombiex

" So selection #3 would only work for me if the bypass is off and I make a cable that pulls the organ from pin #1 (as described here

(https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2419203/Hammond_SK1_to_Neo_Ventilator_)).

The EV's would be isolated and accessible from the 1/4" outs.

Selection #1 would work the same (regardless of how the bypass switch is set). I can pull organ from pin #1 and EV's from 1/4" outs.

That would work, though it makes me wonder about options for the leslie effect. I use a vent now and it definitely sounds like I can pull a dry organ signal from pin #1 to use the vent for leslie. But if the SK2's sim is really on par with the vent I'd certainly be open to using that instead.

So can you pull an organ-only sound from the SK2 that uses the SK2's internal sim? Based on what is written here (https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2338957#Post2338957) if you don't ground pin #2, the SK2 will not think an external leslie is connected. So would it follow that if you make a cable pulling the organ from pin #1 but leaving pin #2 ungrounded the SK2 will use its internal sim? "

I too am looking at separating organ & EV signals. I'd like to run internal sim organ signal to a tube amp (Fender Deluxe) and piano signal to K10 powered speaker. I have tried wiring an 8 pin Din, pin 1 organ signal, pin 2 signal ground, float pin 5 instead of ground (Leslie detect). In this wiring configuration, there is no internal sim Leslie at pin 1, only dry organ. So far I haven't found a solution to wire internal simm leslie organ signal to 1 amp & piano to another amp. Anyone else have success with this? It would be great to have 2 small amps; 1 piano/1 organ, without having to buy a Vent (or carry a Leslie).

Maybe there is a simple solution; instead of trying to manufacture our own 8 pin jumper cables, how about purchasing the LC8-7M 8 pin cable from one of your local HS dealers and cutting it in half. Now you have a spare or can sell half to another brother in need. I have not tried this and I am NOT a tech, so maybe one of the more tech savvy guys can speak up. It just seems to me that since the 8 pin cable does what it is supposed to do using my 2101 mkii set up, it should separate out the signals properly even cut in half and with 1/4" plugs attached and you can choose 3 or 1 channel Leslie from the internal sim parameter. Anybody?? Just a thought, and I am not affiliated with HS in any way, and again am NOT A TECH.

Unless I misunderstand, the organ signal that drives your 2101 is dry (no Leslie simmulator in signal from organ) & the 2101 provides the Leslie effect; therefore buying a cable really won't resolve this problem. Seems like there should be a way to provide a Leslie simm organ signal separate from piano signal though.

Ahhh, you are correct dgas about the organ signal being dry; back to the drawing board I suppose. Maybe HS will include signal routing in one of the updates someday. That would solve it for everyone. Nord has it, I wonder why HS didn't think to make allowance for this. On the simple side of that answer would be so that we have to buy the 2101 mkii to get all organ and ev's in one amp, but that doesn't help you with wanting to use 2 amps. The quest goes on...

quote zoooombiex

" So selection #3 would only work for me if the bypass is off and I make a cable that pulls the organ from pin #1 (as described here

(https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2419203/Hammond_SK1_to_Neo_Ventilator_)).

The EV's would be isolated and accessible from the 1/4" outs.

So can you pull an organ-only sound from the SK2 that uses the SK2's internal sim? Based on what is written here (https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2338957#Post2338957) if you don't ground pin #2, the SK2 will not think an external leslie is connected. So would it follow that if you make a cable pulling the organ from pin #1 but leaving pin #2 ungrounded the SK2 will use its internal sim? "

I too am looking at separating organ & EV signals. I'd like to run internal sim organ signal to a tube amp (Fender Deluxe) and piano signal to K10 powered speaker. I have tried wiring an 8 pin Din, pin 1 organ signal, pin 2 signal ground, float pin 5 instead of ground (Leslie detect). In this wiring configuration, there is no internal sim Leslie at pin 1, only dry organ. So far I haven't found a solution to wire internal simm leslie organ signal to 1 amp & piano to another amp. Anyone else have success with this? It would be great to have 2 small amps; 1 piano/1 organ, without having to buy a Vent (or carry a Leslie).

I don't have any first-hand knowledge on this, but someone in one of the posts I linked said pin #2 is the leslie detect point. (maybe in addition to pin #5?). Did you try ungrounding pin #2?

There is a new Library for the SK's - 80's Layered

Here is a link:

http://www.suzuki-music.co.jp/hammond/sk1_sk2/index.html#library12

Click on the box to the left of the one labelled Special.

This is the readme file:

Hammond SK Voice Library

VL-SK012 "80's Layered"

This voice library provides the sounds of layered Synth Pianos that were popular in the 1980's.

You must upload and install the new system software (SK updater Release 4, MAIN 1.112 or later) before you install this library.

80's Layered Pf.:

Layered instrument made of acoustic piano, FM electric piano, and synth pad as used in 1980's pop music.

Ac&El Piano:

Layered instrument made of acoustic piano and FM electric piano.

Suzuki Musical Inst. Mfg. Co., Ltd.

I haven't tried the instruments yet.

• 2 weeks later...
the two settings in the sk1 demo is what I am looking for. is it possible to get my sk1 to default mode without changing some of my settings that I made namely leslie settings, etc. how exactly do I get to default mode. is it factory reset. thank you........Larry

Yes, resetting to default will also reset the Leslie settings. You could reset it, make the changes to the Leslie settings you want along with whatever global setting changes you need and then save that setup to a USB drive. Make that your default setup. When you want to start a new setup with your Leslie settings, load that setup, make the new changes to patches etc. and then save that setup.

Man if I had the money I would grab and SK-1. Just for convenience in a multi-keyboard rig. It would be great just to have some options and not have to lug the XK-3C around.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I sometimes midi my 24 lb. Kurz SP4-7 to my SK1 for a lower manual. The SP4-7 has compromise piano / organ semi-weighted action so it's at least doable for a lower manual compared to a fully weighted board. The benefit of the SP4-7 also is that it is thin with a tiny footprint and it has really good strings / pads, horns, and, IMHO, excellent EP's, especially the Stevie Rhodes, Belltone Rhodes, and Austin Wurly which are top shelf samples.

IMO the AP's on both the SK1 and SP4-7 are equally gig-worthy, while the clavs and accordians on the SK1 are excellent and better than the SP4-7 (although the Kurz is no slouch WRG to these either).

When I need more AP I bring my 25 LB. Privia PX330 with the SK1 or the SP4-7, if no high-end organ is required.

In all scenarios, the total weight for my two board gig rig is only ~40 lbs. Life is good in this age of ultra-lightweght high quality keyboards compared to even 5 years ago.