Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SK-1 and 2 Tips, Tricks and Other Cool Stuff.

I ordered my SK1-73 from Sweetwater Sound. They always install the latest OS in a keyboard prior to shipping. BTW... having that extra octave of keys makes more of a difference for playing manual pedal bass than I had anticipated. ENJOY YOUR SK!

I never deal with Sweetwater. They have sent me demo units and claimed they were new. I told them not to send candy with my order because it rattled around loose in the box, so some jerk in packaging opened my order and packed it full of candy before shipping it to me. I bought my SK2 from B3 Guys in Nashville... they are the Hammond pros.

Yeah Wayne is a nice guy. Sweetwater has been awesome to me. I have been dealing with Jeff Green since 1994 there.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I've been trying to install the latest update. I've gone through 4 usb sticks: HP 16gb, PNY 8gb, Toshiba 1gb, and Lexar 32gb.

I followed the proper procedure (unless I am missing something) on all sticks/attempts: formatted the stick with the SK1, then put the downloaded upgrade system files in the system folder of the stick. Held the 3 buttons down, powered on, and the screen lights up blank everytime. Nothing happens.

Also did the reboot to default settings (hold record while powering on), then tried updating with all the sticks again.

My "main" version is now 1.300

Called Hammond today, tech support unavailable, mailbox too full for messages.

Any ideas?

Are you holding the Control, Song and Play/Pause buttons? Sometimes people have held the three Leslie buttons.

Did you put all the files from the update ZIP file in the System folder? I usually copy everything including the readme and PDFs into the System folder so I have them for reference later. Leaving the System Libraries out of the System folder until after the update can speed the update up if the libraries didn't have any changes.

Have you tried saving and loading setup files to/from the USB drives?

While the version currently installed in your SK-1 has improved the compatibility with USB drives that could still be an issue. Here is a link to some information regarding the types of memory used USB drives:

SLC vs MLC memory

There is no way to tell which kind of memory your USB drives use. I've never had any success with Lexar products and they also private label stuff so the Toshiba drive may be Lexar too. IIRC someone else tried a 16Gb HP drive some time ago and it didn't work either. I have an 8Gb PNY drive that didn't work for updates but did for saving setups and loading new libraries.

It is getting hard to find small USB drives but you might try to find a 1 or 2 Gb Kingston, PNY or SanDisk USB drive.

1) Yes, holding the control, song, play buttons

2) Yes, all files from update zip to system folder

3) Yes, setup files load to/from 3 of the usb drives, but not the Lexar.

I'll try to borrow some friends' usb drives this weekend, and try them out(don't want to waste any more money on usb drives).

Hopefully that will work. Will let you know. Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

I got it to update. I received a list of things to try from Hammond. The first one worked.

I turned it on with the USB stick in, but did not hold down any buttons. Waited/watched for it to update some files. Then powered off.

Then I went through the standard update procedure and it worked fine.

I updated with the Toshiba 1gb.

After it was updated, just out of curiosity I tried the HP 8gb, and it seemed to work fine (started the update, but said something like "no system files to update"). I haven't tried any of the others though.

BTW, one of the tips given (that I didn't need) was that if the screen is frozen (blank) after turning on while holding down the buttons, just let the update run in the background for at least 30 minutes. *Use a usb stick with a lighted indicator that shows it is being used, so you know it is actually updating in the background.

Can we not lock this thread at the top of the list?

We just have to keep finding tips and tricks that are "post worthy" to earn a spot at the top of the list.

The Hammond US website has a setup file available with some "Standard" Patches:

"The SK1 USA STANDARD SETUP replaces the first 10 [user] Patches with Patches created by Hammond USA in conjunction with our Top Artists. These Patches represent the most requested and popular foundation sounds of the Keyboard world. Please refer to included readme file for instructions."

http://hammondorganco.com/support/downloads/voice-libraries/

This is from the Readme PDF contained in the Zip file:

The 10 favorites will correspond to the 10 new presets.

Here are brief descriptions of the ten new presets:

1. VINTAGE B-3

This is modeled aft er a road-worn Vintage Hammond B-3 and 147 Leslie

with maximum leakage, tube amp overdrive, aged Chorus-Vibrato,

and heightened key-click.

2. CRUNCH B-3

This is an overdriven Vintage Hammond B-3 with 3300-style Tube

Overdrive Leslie.

3. FULL ORGAN

This is a Clean Vintage Hammond B-3 with 122 Style Leslie.

4. FARF COMBO ORGAN

This is a Full Organ setting of the Popular Italian Combo Organ of

the 1960s.

5. Vx with Rho Bass

This patch recalls the on-stage keyboard rig of the Rock Giant who Lit

Your Fire in the 1960s. The Popular British Combo Organ of the 60s

on the UPPER manual, and an accurate sample of the E. Piano Rho

Bass on the LOWER Manual.

6. STE GRAND PIANO

The sound of one of the most popular and widely used Acoustic Grand

Pianos.

7. TINE PIANO

The sound of the Rho Electric Piano, which used tines to produce

its sound.

8. REED PIANO

The sound of the Wurl Electric Piano which used metal "reeds" to

produce its sound.

9. CLAV (BD)

The sound of the German Electro-mechanical Stringed Keyboard made

popular in Funky Music. In this case, the virtual control panel setting

of the two tone switches is BD as on the original instrument.

10. CHURCH PIPE ORGAN

The sound of a Church Pipe Organ with Full Organ registration.

It looks like the Tonewheel sets are the originals and haven't been tweaked. I've only played with it for a few minutes but the Patches seem to be good starting points for further tweaking to taste.

Does anyone know of a way to load tonewheel sets without having the presets change? For example, I'd like to use Jim's C2 tonewheel set but not lose my own "favorites" presets. I think my options are to either put in the tonewheel parameters by hand or reinstall all of my presets/patches after loading Jim's SETUP file. Either option is a lot of work. It would be helpful to have a parameter to selectively write-protect chosen patches/favorites; or some alternate method to load interesting patches or settings without nuking everything I've setup over a fairly long time. Perhaps there is way & I've just missed it?

The release 7 update allows individual Patches to be saved so I think you should be able to save your patches from one setup and load them into another. I haven't worked with this new feature so I can't say for certain but that seems to be its purpose.

The release 7 update allows individual Patches to be saved so I think you should be able to save your patches from one setup and load them into another. I haven't worked with this new feature so I can't say for certain but that seems to be its purpose.

It works as advertised. That's exactly what I did when I loaded Jim's tonewheel set. First saved the patches I wanted to keep, loaded the tonewheel set , then reloaded my patches.

Jamie

Hi guys, brand new to the forum, introducing myself, originally from Melbourne Australia, been living in Chicago for 16+ years. I originally was a Hammond player back years ago, had a great B3 and 122RV,porta B / 760 along with a wurli 200A, juno 60, clav D6, all of which sold many years ago, I then became a full time percussionist . Anywho, Im really feeling the keys bug, and will be getting an SK2 very soon, I have to thank all the posters here that have a wealth of info about the sk1/2 and am looking forward to getting my greasy conga hands on one of these.....cheers ! Side note, what are you guys using as amps etc ? leslies, neo's, internal through pa, etc etc ??

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

• 2 weeks later...

There is a new library available (Melodion) here:

http://www.suzuki-music.co.jp/hammond/sk1_sk2/index.html#library15

Click on the button to the left of the one labelled Special.

Here is the ReadMe file:

Hammond SK Voice Library

VL-SK015 "Melodion"

The Parent Company of Hammond Organ is Suzuki Musical Instruments, maker of fine Harmonicas, used by Professionals and Amateurs Worldwide. One of their most distinctive instruments is the Melodion, which is essentially a Harmonica played with a Keyboard. The professional range of Suzuki Melodions (including the Industry Standard M-37C) has been carefully sampled to provide the voice of this rare keyboard gem.

Baritone Keyed:

Baritone Model B-24C, without vibrato.

Baritone Vib:

Baritone Model B-24C, with vibrato.

Bari / Alto:

This Split Voice sounds the Baritone B-24C model below middle C, and the Alto M-37C model sounds its above.

Alto 1 Keyed:

Alto Model M-37C without vibrato.

Alto 1 Vib:

Alto Model M-37C with vibrato.

Alto 1 Twin:

Hybrid "multi-reed" Melodion Voice, with Octave voicing in the lower to middle range, and detuned unison in the Upper Range.

Alto 1 Overdrv:

Alto Model M-37C with Overdrive. You can add a "Wah-Wah" effect by turning the [EXTRA VOICE EFFECTS AMOUNT] knob.

Alto 2 Keyed:

Alto Model PRO-44HP, without vibrato.

Alto 2 Vib:

Alto Model PRO-44HP, with vibrato.

Soprano Keyed:

Soprano Model S-32C, without vibrato.

-----------------------------------------------------------

SOUNDS FEATURING "PROCHORD" FUNCTION

Extravoice instruments that contain "PCD" in their description feature Hammond's exclusive "PROCHORD" function which adds complex harmonic voicing to single notes played on the UPPER manual based on chord structures played on the LOWER manual. In using the PROCHORD voices, allocate the "PCD" voice to the UPPER section, and using the SPLIT function, assign an Organ (TW,Vx,Farf or Pipe) registration of your choice to the LOWER section. (On the SK2 use the UPPER and LOWER manuals). The PROCHORD function will still work if you do NOT assign an Organ sound at all to the LOWER section/manual. No complex harmonies will be added to single notes played on the UPPER section/manual when nothing is being played on the LOWER section/manual.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Duet Pcd:

Alto Model M-37C in Duet Harmony with vibrato.

SmallCombo Pcd:

Trio Voicing with Soprano model S-32C on melody, and two Alto model M-37C's on harmony. All parts sound without vibrato.

Quartet Pcd:

Quartet Voicing with Alto PRO-44HP model on melody with vibrato, and Alto Model M-37C and Baritone Model B-24C on harmonies. The harmony voices sound without vibrato.

Suzuki Musical Inst. Mfg. Co., Ltd.

Could you please share this tonewheel set of Jim's that you mention? TIA.

Yamaha P-515, Hammond SK1, Casio PX5s, Motif ES rack, Kawai MP5, Kawai ESS110, Yamaha S03, iPad, and a bunch of stuff in the closet.

Could you please share this tonewheel set of Jim's that you mention? TIA.

Jim's tonewheel set is not for free, please contact him directly.

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

some SET files not showing up on SK1 menus

OK so Jim was gracious enough to provide his TW custom set file to me, and I managed to grab some from a Yahoo users site.

I copied them to my SK! formatted USB stick, that has been working for OS upgrades, patch and set filing and the like.

When I tried to load some of the TW set files over half did not show up on the SK! load menu, but they are there.

His set does show up but a lot of the Yahoo ones don't, any suggestions?

BTW they all have the correct SET file suffix

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Hi guys,

I just updated my SK1 that still had Release 5 installed to the current Release 7. I'm trying to figure out how to adjust the shallower trigger point for the organ mode. I don't have the instructions that came with Release 6. Shouldn't the adjustment be under Drawbar in the Menu? Thanks!

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

some SET files not showing up on SK1 menus

OK so Jim was gracious enough to provide his TW custom set file to me, and I managed to grab some from a Yahoo users site.

I copied them to my SK! formatted USB stick, that has been working for OS upgrades, patch and set filing and the like.

When I tried to load some of the TW set files over half did not show up on the SK! load menu, but they are there.

His set does show up but a lot of the Yahoo ones don't, any suggestions?

BTW they all have the correct SET file suffix

Do you mean the XK-3 Yahoo group? If so there are only 2 setup files in the SK setup file folder. One of them has a standard file name: Setup05.SET. If your USB drive already has one with that name it may not have overwritten it. Is it possible you also downloaded the XK-3c setup files too?