Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tired of Snow

DanL

Last weekends gig cancelled due to snow. This weekend, we're supposed to get slammed with snow, and my gig will end up being cancelled. It was to be our 1st gig at a new place too. I can't wait for spring.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm lucky to live here in Houston where it rarely gets below freezing, but this winter has been crap overall. We usually get some warm (70°) days just to break things up and they tend to recharge me, but this year we've had much less of those than normal. It's also been rainy.

I made a comment about the crap weather on FB, and a friend said, "we have it good, in my home town, it's 38° and rain in the forecast." I replied that my home town was barely above freezing and had snow forecast. That doesn't mean the weather here in Houston isn't still crap.

Then I realized, if the weather was like this in either of our home towns, nobody would say it was nice. They might appreciate the warmer temps than they've been having, but they wouldn't *like* it.

Schlepping gear in this weather is a pain. The exertion makes you warm, but it's cold. It's easy to get sweaty, but it's hard to judge if you're going to be too warm. The rehearsal space for one band I play with is small, there's 11 of us, and only space heater/window unit A/C depending on if it's hot or cold, so the temp is all over the place. I never know if I'm going to be cold or hot.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The weather forecast here has folks bracing for a foot or more of snow tomorrow.

That isn't much to our northern friends but it is enough to paralyze this area.

Pesonally, I don't mind the snow. Just wish it would fall on a Sunday night and/or during a weekday in order to shut everything down properly. ;)

Folks here have a hard time driving in snow. Doesn't help when the vehicle is improperly maintained and/or a sportscar, high performance car or SUV with bald tires.

There is nothing wrong with driving a bobsled. It just shouldn't take place on public roads. :rolleyes:

Otherwise, I certainly understand the concerns of gigging musos as inclement weather adversely affects revenue. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Jeff, come on over, I will introduce you.

The last storm we had here in Southern Cal actually brought some hail, which only happens every few years here. And, of course, I said the same tired cliché that I use every time little chunks of ice are falling from the sky:

"WHAT THE HAIL?!?!?!?!"

:cool:

Y'all are going to get HAMMERED. IT'S HAMMER TIME!

BWAHAHAhahahahahahahahahaha :evil:

Friday

Snow...mainly in the afternoon. Snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches. Highs in the mid 30s. Light and variable winds...becoming east 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of snow near 100 percent.

Friday Night

Snow. Snow may be heavy at times. Lows in the upper 20s. Northeast winds 15 to 20 mph. Chance of snow near 100 percent.

Saturday

Snow. Highs around 30. North winds 15 to 20 mph. Chance of snow near 100 percent.

Saturday Night

Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of snow. Lows around 15.

==========

And HERE is what CNN.COM has to say about it:

Baltimore could receive 16 to 18 inches of snow, with isolated amounts of two feet; Washington, 12 to 16 inches with isolated amounts up to 20 inches; and Philadelphia, eight to 12 inches.

==========

We've got provisions and lots of beer

The key word is survival on the new frontier

- Donald Fagen, "New Frontier"

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

We're getting tired of it here in Richmond, VA as well. I remember growing up in the '70s when it happened more often and really cold winters with frozen lakes, ice skating and school closures were normal. In the last 2 decades, it has been rare to get enough snow to close schools and make the city go into quiet mode.

We had our first 12"+ the week before Christmas '09 and then another 12"+ last weekend. Kids out of school through midday today and I had a gig cancel last weekend. Now there is some new front arriving tomorrow and I'd say my Fri gig is at risk. I do enjoy some of the forced down time of these storms, but would like them spread out a little more.

At least this weekend, we can continue with our Superbowl party plans (assuming we don't lose power) as most of our friends are in walking distance and the grocery shopping has already been done last night by yours truly!

Regards,

Eric

Winter here has been nice and mild. We needed it after record snow the previous two years...and I lived in NH prior to that. So I'm loving the 50 degrees and sun today!

But yes, I feel your snow pain.

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

They are predicting up to 24" here in central DE. I already went to the store- not for milk butter and eggs, but meat, cheese, sandwich rolls, and most importantly, beer!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

It's a little cold here today. Only 71. Supposed to get to 77 tomorrow.

Having wintered in Northern Canada, and lived in Alaska for 5 1/2 years, I've had enough snow and cold to last a lifetime.

So, here's my idea of winter weather.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3607/3366090860_2d80375026.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3115/2741082251_bf22a0cf17_o.jpg

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

They are predicting up to 24" here in central DE. I already went to the store- not for milk butter and eggs, but meat, cheese, sandwich rolls, and most importantly, beer!

The mad dash around here for those (3) items never ceases to amaze me.

It was worse post 9/11 when the list included duct tape, plastic and flashlights. :rolleyes:

Real survivor food is cans of soup, beans, tuna, rice, crackers, water and most definitely...beer. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I've heard of snow, but I'm not sure it actually exists.

Jeff, it's that white stuff covering the mountain peaks off in the distance. You probably can't see it from your neighborhood, but I'm sure you've spotted it while driving around town. ;)

And yeah, I'm really tired of that too! :mad:;):D

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

We had a few dumpings early on, but now it's a few light sprinkles every other day. Quite pleasant compared to the last 2 years.

The second shot is before I went out and cleared the roof for the second time that winter (2008).

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/Bluntinst/housesm.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/Bluntinst/clotheslinesm.jpg

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

its pretty...but what good is it

been sweltering here for the last 3 months...I hate heat

we have two seasons here summer and winter...no in between , and one day it can be so hot you could fry an egg on your organ, and the next freeze the keys on your goanna.

I hate Sydney's west..............

but never seen snow.....never...slush once in the Blue mountains...does that count.

but I dont envy you either...it looks like hell with a beautiful face.

Winter here has been nice and mild. We needed it after record snow the previous two years...and I lived in NH prior to that. So I'm loving the 50 degrees and sun today!

But yes, I feel your snow pain.

Severe El Nino winter here too - two hours east of Portland OR. Very unseasonably warm. I took the studs off yesterday - six weeks early. I think we're done.

Yeah Dan that winter was crazy with snow wasn't it? It felt like there was a major snow storm every week!

This winter is a joke compared to 08. 2 medium storms, early on, and since then practically nothing.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Yeah Dan that winter was crazy with snow wasn't it? It felt like there was a major snow storm every week!

This winter is a joke compared to 08. 2 medium storms, early on, and since then practically nothing.

Yeah, it was nuts. I'm not complaining about this year though.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

To Fusker - my club jobs reach as far as Hood River, but I live in a rural area close to the Simcoe Mountains between The Dalles and Yakima. And yeah - forumites here are heavily tilted towards living in the Northeast, with a smattering of LA, Florida, and Australia thrown in for good measure.

I'm probably the only one that gets get's a 1/2 inch of ice first and then a foot of snow and then mud! 2hr. drive to the gig it's 57*, then on the load-out it's 41* at 2:00am. 30miles into the 100 mile drive home and Whammo, freezing rain and 30*. White knuckle-it home at 5:45am. Now My wife want me to go church and play some more! And this happens often! all this for 45.00!!!

I'm probably the only one that gets get's a 1/2 inch of ice first and then a foot of snow and then mud! 2hr. drive to the gig it's 57*, then on the load-out it's 41* at 2:00am. 30miles into the 100 mile drive home and Whammo, freezing rain and 30*. White knuckle-it home at 5:45am. Now My wife want me to go church and play some more! And this happens often! all this for 45.00!!!

wow Toad that sounds horrible

how about this I'll pay you $50 to sweat profusely just packing your car, drive 2 hours in a non airconditioned car, while the tar on the road is sizzling,play under intense lights , load out at 1 AM hot enough to swim in a pool, drive home and your radiator boils, because you had been loosing water on the way up, not sleep because its too darn hot, and get up in the morning because the wife says its time to perform at her sisters pool party in the hot steel roofed shelter.

but I will pay you $50 Aus but you wont mind me keeping the other $100 for worry..would

you.

man two different experiences both the opposite , I hate the heat, but equally would not want to go thru what you went thru...and people think playing in a band is easy...yea sure money for nothing.

Archived