Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tired of Snow

DanL

Stevie:

Yep. Too early. Woke up to the leaking sound in my bathroom and couldn't fall back asleep because I'm worried about what other problems could be going on behind the walls.

I hope things stay quiet for you! (And good to see you 'round the Forum again.)

Noah

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to all the folks having problems through this. Maybe it's because I so seldom take off that I'm enjoying this. Actually came in for a few hours this morning to check on things but should be heading home at noon. Three and a half days paid time off messing around in my basement, drinking beer, watching movies, occasionally snow blowing, walking my lab - life is good.

You guys can get be back at me in July/August when I'll be hating life with the mosquitos and humidity.

Markyboard,

I'm jealous - sounds like fun. Throw on back for us other suckers out here working in the mess.

Actually it has not been that bad. Working the odd hours have put me at home during the day and I'm not a day sleeper. I've ended up getting quite of bit of praticing in.

Ooh - and did my taxes too. Arrgh :tired:

I lost my electric last Friday Night. Spent the weekend huddled in the basement around a gas fireplace. On Monday, we went to a hotel, since the power was going to be restored until Thursday (today). Power was restored, back in the home. Finally!

Missed the Super Bowl, but glad to be safe and warm. Can't take much more of this, though.

I didn't get any time off, I work from home. So while working from home has great benefits, it also means when everyone else is home because of a state of emergency, I'm working! I did take some breaks to snowblow/shovel but for the most part it's business as usual here.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

More to come tonight and possibly Monday... There are still snow clumps around, asmy grandaddy would say "waiting for the next snow to fall."

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

In Philly area it took my Sun Room down. It could of been avoided with some before-sight but it happened in the middle of the night when it rained for a couple of hours on top of the 1 foot snow making it heavy. Probably about $15,000 at least of damage. My insurance company is sending someone out.

http://hammondeer.tripod.com/dampor.jpg

That floor jack in the middle I put up to hold it temporarily but the whole thing collapsed in the middle of the night.

Wheelhead

My sister doesn't have a f'n snow shovel. :rolleyes:

Guess she didn't need to get out until yesterday. By that time, the city snow plows pushed snow up to the side of her truck. That snow froze.

Since she had to get out yesterday, I had to go over there and dig her truck out of the parking space. Shoveled a path from her door to the GD truck.

Here is a case where preparedness and proactivity prevail. If she had a shovel, she could have gotten some exercise shoveling a little bit of snow every few hours.

But no, I guess that's why God made big brothers. :eek:

Of course, being on the road, there are the idiots with bald tires getting stuck. The news report constantly told them to stay home. Apparently, they ran out of chicken fingers and/or beer.

Noah, I've got home improvement skills too. Let me know if I need to roll through and solve your problem too. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Sorry to hear of your travails Prof. At least up here near Cleveland we were spared the worst(for a change) and cities know what plows and road salt are for for the most part. Still, you can take comfort in the fact that for you folks down there this is a fluke. For us, a way of life. Everyplace else February is the shortest month. Not here. It will be February the 42nd before we see the sun.

Yeah, on the radio they were saying snow shovels were flying off the shelves. Here in Jersey, what homeowner doesn't have a snow shovel? Prof, you are a good brother but I hope you got your point across i.e. get a shovel. :cool:

Even when the roads are clear there are hazards. I avoided a BIG one my way home last night. Car came onto the highway where there is usually an acceleration/merge lane except that is covered so she came immediately into the right lane. Car to my right moves into my lane forcing me to move into left lane which was luckily open. Had it not been we would have had "The Big One".

Regards,

Joe

Folks up north and other areas that receive snow on the regular have this thing down to a science.

However, in defense of my area, Banneker and L'Enfant did such a wonderful job with DC's layout, they didn't take snow removal into consideration. :laugh:

The cities I have visited that receive more snow, most of the streets are horizontal and vertical. Easy for snow trucks to keep clear.

DC has diagonal streets, circles, loops and enclaves. MD consists of a bunch of sub-divisions. All of these heavily populated areas rely on city and county resources for snow removal.

Primary and secondary roads are treated and made passable rather quickly. Getting out of city residential areas and suburban sub-divisions is the major hassle. Especially when everybody has a vehicle or three.

The main problem is, because major snow falls so infrequently, folks forget how to drive in it. Again, ill-prepared vehicles compromise the snow removal efforts and others.

Joe's encounter certainly would have resulted in the "big one" here. Glad it was avoided on your end mayne. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Prof D,

The Little Sister Blues can get you down. But you gotta help them out. They are "Little Sisters"

I finally got lucky and mine got married to a construction worker - relief.

Did you feel like the snow was getter deeper the more you shoveled ???

Time Lapse of DC snow storm - Check it out:

[video:youtube]

Prof D,

The Little Sister Blues can get you down. But you gotta help them out. They are "Little Sisters"

I finally got lucky and mine got married to a construction worker - relief.

Did you feel like the snow was getter deeper the more you shoveled ???

:laugh:

Nah mayne. I'm not complaining at all either. I'll do whatever it takes to look out for family.

Just thinking it's better when they don't call at the last minute i.e. after I've finished the 4 S's (shovel, ?, shave and shower). :D:cool:

PD

10" in Waxahachie, Texas is the most snow we ever got!

earlier - the snowed in studio, bicycle shop:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn118/RoyIII/snow20102.jpg

later on:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn118/RoyIII/snow20103.jpg

down the street:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn118/RoyIII/snow20104.jpg

My across the street neighbor had his ranger pick-up stuck in his driveway. We aren't used to this! I have lots of tree-surgery ahead of me. I hope I can save them.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Hey, it's snowing here in Atlanta! We're expecting somethng like 5". That may not sound like much to some of you Nor'Easterners but we have no snow shovels, no plows, no snow tires, no chains etc. And I live on a hill. Wish us luck.

5" is enough to screw things up here in Jersey. Good luck, stock up on milk, bread and eggs!

:laugh:

Regards.

Joe

Noah, I've got home improvement skills too. Let me know if I need to roll through and solve your problem too. :laugh::cool:

Thanks for the offer, Brother D. Sounds like you've already covered your Good Samaritan work for the month, though! ;) Also, I've got a family friend who's a carpenter/contractor and since the home construction business is basically shut down, he's been looking for work. I'm happy to give him the hours to have him help me replace my soggy drywall and insulation. I just want the rest of the friggin' snow to melt so I don't develop leaks 2, 3, and 4.

Noah

10" in Waxahachie, Texas is the most snow we ever got!
So you guys did get the 10". I saw that it might get to be that much but didn't check since. It rained all day here, so I kept checking the radar. Every time I did, I saw it was snowing up there with no end in sight.

Here's a funny story. When my niece was a kid, like pre-teen, I was talking to her on the phone. I don't know how we got on the subject of the weather, but she asked me if it ever snows in Houston. I said, "not really, but it snows up in Dallas." She immediately replied, "you should GO there!!" :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived