Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NAMM 2024

22 hours ago, The Real MC said:

But taxi hires are up to $150 each way.

IIRC there are tourist-oriented buses the size of a Greyhound (but not a Greyhound) that run between LAX and Disneyland. They're not very expensive, like $20-$30 or so. The downside is you have to sync with their schedule.

Fly into John Wayne airport. Uber from there to Anaheim is about $20. It's a much more pleasant airport, too.

• Like 5

Mike Kent

- Chairman of MIDI 2.0 Working Group

- MIDI Association Executive Board

- Co-Author of USB Device Class Definition for MIDI Devices 1.0 and 2.0

So do they really think that a purple piano will compel musicians to spend thousands of dollars to attend NAMM?  After about ten years of attending, my NAMM days are over (and I live about 25 miles away from Anaheim). Just not worth it anymore. Too many people, too few inspiring products, same “is that all there is?” feeling… It’s kind of sad. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I saw the announcement of performers today when I visited the official trade show website, and it made me realize I'm an old fogey, because I had only heard of one of the "first tier superstars" who are performing and had heard of none of the ones in the next level down.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

1 minute ago, Mark Schmieder said:

I saw the announcement of performers today when I visited the official trade show website, and it made me realize I'm an old fogey, because I had only heard of one of the "first tier superstars" who are performing and had heard of none of the ones in the next level down.

Yup I get the same feeling only time I read about artists I remember is from "<fill in the blank> has passed" articles.    I know some compared to me younger artist from working at the church.  Many of the congregation were big names in Hip Hop and R&B and my coworker in Media department was DJ for two name artists so he opened me up to a lot of artists of his generation.    But even those who were big in the 90's would be considered old now.  Dam time flies fast. 

• Like 1

I go largely for the hang. 2020 was my first Winter NAMM and it pretty much started with the KC dinner for me, after that I could have gone home after meeting and hanging with everyone. The rest of the trip was bonus. 

I’ve been to 2022 and 2023, and much of that was for the hang as well. Mostly KCers, but also friends I have in the industry I get to catch up with. Unfortunately, I won’t be making it this time, and I was really looking forward to a few more contacts who are returning this year. But OTOH, I’m glad to be missing the show in the middle of this COVID rise. Hopefully it won’t be a spreading event. 

Anyway, I hope to make 2025.

• Like 4

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I missed the last April show, the first time in over 40 years I didn’t attend. I grew up (professionally) in the industry and many of my dearest friends are part of that “tribe”. I’m going this year - the first time I’m not doing any demo work for anyone to help defray the costs. So I’ll be sharing a hotel room with a couple of friends (roll-away or a couch) and will try to keep costs down.

The show has become a terrible place (IMHO) to really evaluate gear, whether it’s the noise, bad headphones, or waiting in line to try a keyboard while the person in front of you occupies the position while glued to their phone. 

I’ll be masked for sure, as I was in 2022, and hope to emerge unscathed. If you’re looking for me, a good place to check in will be the Bob Moog Foundation booth. 

I am so over the crowds and the noise, but not the friends that I only get to see in person there. Let’s see how this one plays out. 

Jerry

• Like 4
  • Cool 1

4 hours ago, jerrythek said:

The show has become a terrible place (IMHO) to really evaluate gear, whether it’s the noise, bad headphones...

That sparks a question of whether or not folks are allowed to bring their own headphones to NAMM.

I've been carrying my own cans around for years in order to 1) demo gear in isolation and 2) avoid adding to the cacophony in the building. 😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

5 hours ago, ProfD said:

That sparks a question of whether or not folks are allowed to bring their own headphones to NAMM.

I've been carrying my own cans around for years in order to 1) demo gear in isolation and 2) avoid adding to the cacophony in the building. 😎

If you have a visitor badge, you cannot bring in or carry out any musical gear.  Not even headphones.

On 1/14/2024 at 10:18 AM, jerrythek said:

I am so over the crowds and the noise, but not the friends that I only get to see in person there. Let’s see how this one plays out. 

I think the drop in numbers will make for a less frantic show experience. It may turn out that 60,000 people (my guess) might be the sweet spot for a NAMM show. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dockeys said:

Yamaha have just launched this:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/music-production-studios/seqtrak/

looks like teenage engineering type product but with FM and AWM sounds. Might be a nice thing to pair with my CP73 just to get those extra sounds that the CP is missing. 

Wow, that is a blatant rip off of the TI's toy-like aesthetic. Seems to be missing all of the former's fun sound sources and effects, but probably reflected in the price which isnt bad at all.

image.png.f2a9a4a73d6bcedc892e299ec58912d6.png

• Like 2

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

I just posted this in the Random Thoughts thread, but they may be showing it at NAMM, also.

Korg Poetry Digital Piano

https://www.korg.com/uk/products/digitalpianos/poetry/

and Korg Keystage MIDI Controller:

https://twitter.com/KorgUSA/status/1746547947813097706?t=D0AJJX4w_UxHv-DqYf2jvA&s=19

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rrAEPADC4n4&feature=youtu.be

EDIT: I don't know why one tweet resolved and the other one stayed just a link. Also odd that the address is back to the old twitter dot com instead of x dot com, which it's been since Elon Musk changed the name. That site has had numerous bugs lately, though.

That said, the MIDI controller looks nice, and has poly aftertouch! 

• Like 4

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Are they selling visitor passes now? It says something about it on the website....not sure how it works. I miss going down there and Oregon weather is about as bad as it can possibly be....ice storms...power outages.... California Dreamin' !                                                                                                                                                                      I always meet interesting people there and always learn something. I was at A Rhodes display once and Stevie Wonder sat down right next to me and played!  So you never know...one of the places where that can happen.

• Like 1

Stevie Wonder is such a fixture there that the first year I saw him I thought I’d experienced a miracle, and by last year, when I wanted to check out a board and couldn’t get to it and saw why, I was like, “Goddammit, f’ing Stevie Wonder is there. COME ON, MAN, LETS MOVE IT ALONG.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

13 minutes ago, mrk7421 said:

Are they selling visitor passes now? It says something about it on the website....not sure how it works. I miss going down there and Oregon weather is about as bad as it can possibly be....ice storms...power outages.... California Dreamin' !                                                                                                                                                                      I always meet interesting people there and always learn something. I was at A Rhodes display once and Stevie Wonder sat down right next to me and played!  So you never know...one of the places where that can happen.

Yes, anyone is able to buy a pass for $150. This is new in the past year or two.

1 hour ago, MathOfInsects said:

Stevie Wonder is such a fixture there that the first year I saw him I thought I’d experienced a miracle, and by last year, when I wanted to check out a board and couldn’t get to it and saw why, I was like, “Goddammit, f’ing Stevie Wonder is there. COME ON, MAN, LETS MOVE IT ALONG.”

The one time I attended and performed there, I found out after the fact that he had been checking out my performance. I'm really glad I didn't know that at the time, or else I absolutely would have choked.

• Like 2

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

2 hours ago, Sunlight2 said:

The Chopin piano really is a bit gimmicky. Still uses the RH3 keybed and no speaker spec as far as i can see in that press release. Nice looking thing, all the same

35kg with stand. I wonder what weight they could do a slab version. I like the look. I think gigging piano players need more wood effect options! 

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

6 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

This Korg interests me:

https://www.korg.com/us/products/drums/kr_11/

Can start/stop drum patterns with an optional footswitch.  

Always  worries me when a manufacturer says "fun to practice" on little boxes like this. Usually means the sound samples are going to be pretty naff!

Still, a good find, and it might be interesting to keep a watch on, one never knows where the gems are going to be found!

• Like 1

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

On 1/8/2024 at 10:09 PM, CHarrell said:

I don't know about the 88, but AT is super-easy to trigger on my 49...if anything, too easy! I'll find out many of my software instruments have AT features in the most surprising and inopportune moments. Overall, though, very good.

My Keylab 61MKii is my favorite aftertouch implementation of the boards I have/have had with AT.   I have learned how to be expressive with it.  On patches I don't want it, I filter it out in whatever hot I'm using (Mainstage, GigPerformer, etc..)

Anther company that gets it right is Alesis, with their old VortexMK2 Wireless.  That keybed is golden, to me.

• Like 1

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

6 minutes ago, miden said:

Always  worries me when a manufacturer says "fun to practice" on little boxes like this. Usually means the sound samples are going to be pretty naff!

Still, a good find, and it might be interesting to keep a watch on, one never knows where the gems are going to be found!

One selling point for me is being able to play in my own drum patterns and save them in user slots.  Never had a metronome that let me do that before.  Very useful for working on a specific time feel that is not covered in the factory patterns.

Start/stop by footswitch is another one of course.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

One selling point for me is being able to play in my own drum patterns and save them in user slots.  Never had a metronome that let me do that before.  Very useful for working on a specific time feel that is not covered in the factory patterns.

Start/stop by footswitch is another one of course.

Oh totally agree! This would make a great at home metronome for sure...I loathe metronomes and it's why, like you, use drum units for a more interesting time-keeping option!

• Like 1

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

2 hours ago, Josh Paxton said:

The one time I attended and performed there, I found out after the fact that he had been checking out my performance. I'm really glad I didn't know that at the time, or else I absolutely would have choked.

Amazing. I had something similar with Alan Parsons years ago. He stayed through two sets of a gig I did. I saw him but didn't place him. He was in town for a recording project. After he left, someone came over and said, "That must have been a trip having Alan Parsons watch you play!" No, and thank god. He would have heard two-by-fours slapping a team of baby sheep if I'd known. 

• Haha 2

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com