Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NAMM 2024

Nektar does cool controllers, but the CS12 DAW channel controller rocked my world. The problem with a lot of controllers is establishing a workflow that doesn't take weeks of familiarization to build your muscle memory, but the CS12 makes great use of color, a main window, and colored buttons that make it much easier than usual to find your way around. This is something I really want to check out.

20240128_123131.jpg.188ed8a573d9c5095dc6103fb3f70f77.jpg

Mackie, fresh from being purchased by RODE, had a presence at the show. This seems like one of the more logical acquisitions...it's not like RODE makes medical test equivalent, and decided to get into the music industry.

20240128_140553.jpg.98e286eed5b5bd731e5d80e49351b7b2.jpg

Radial had a cool-looking monitor controller. They introduced it because one of their executives tried a bunch of monitor controllers, and didn't like any of them. So he figured they might as well make their own. Fair enough - and who doesn't like big silver knobs?

20240128_142418.jpg.e7f1fa9c21e45d5256ae895e24a19b86.jpg

Despite the "I don't think this show is going to fly" scuttlebutt before the show, any negativity couldn't have been more wrong. NAMM is evolving and changing. I asked quite a few companies if they felt it was still worth the time and expense to come to NAMM, and by and large, the answers were "hell yes." One company said they'd already booked space in the next show, because they figured that given how this one went, they didn't want any chance of missing out on the next one. The TEC Awards were short, sweet, and threw several spotlights where they were deserved. Yes, the crowd was smaller than the peak years, but that actually seemed more of a strength than a limitation - the show was human-sized again, and a lot of the riff-raff didn't show up. So, it was a concentrated bunch of people. 

Even though I was there all four days, and tried my best to hit everything, it's still a massive show and I really needed more than a week. Or two :) Anyway, if anyone asks...yes, NAMM is back. I wasn't sure I was going to go to the show this year, but I'm so glad I did...if for no other reason than not having to constantly hear about how much I missed! 

20240127_144614.jpg.8b056517bac6840b598e1153c1c785d7.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...