Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NAMM 2024

On 1/16/2024 at 3:02 AM, Paul Woodward said:

Wow, that is a blatant rip off of the TI's toy-like aesthetic. Seems to be missing all of the former's fun sound sources and effects, but probably reflected in the price which isnt bad at all.

image.png.f2a9a4a73d6bcedc892e299ec58912d6.png

Do you mean Teenage Engineering? At first glance, I assumed they provided design services on the product as that is one thing the company does.

33 minutes ago, Leroy C said:

There's something about the design aesthetics that's giving me flashbacks to the 70s.  "By Mattel Electronics!"  :D

Someone else thought it looks like an alarm clock.

For sure it references Korg's long history with drum machines, dating back to the DA-20 Doncamatic released in 1963.   It was actually the first ever Korg product, before the company name was changed from Keio to Korg.

• Love 1

Yes, TI was meant to be Teenage Engineering. The OP-1 is a much more interesting device, but cost 4x as much. This is nearer the OP-Z price.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

• Wow! 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

4 hours ago, Radagast said:

Then you mean TE.  TI is Texas Instruments.

Christ, yesterday was a loooong day, didn't even realise. 

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

1 hour ago, The Piano Man said:

Nord Grand 2. Korg Grandstage X…

For me, if manufacturers can hit the pro level/lightweight/compact sweet spot, they will do well

I think these companies have aimed at a different market. Retired band-boomers at home, looking for a high level, high priced stay-at-home board that doesn't come with the caveats of acoustics, that they can play with headphones and jam with like minded players. Just my opinion but I think they're following a trend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here for the gear.

10 minutes ago, drawback said:

I think these companies have aimed at a different market. Retired band-boomers at home, looking for a high level, high priced stay-at-home board that doesn't come with the caveats of acoustics, that they can play with headphones and jam with like minded players. Just my opinion but I think they're following a trend.

They fit the needs of a lot of churches, as well.

• Like 2

pianoman chuck is saying that Studiologic will be revealing something--can't find another source for this--, and Yamaha will as well, though when I checked their website a week ago it just said they were showcasing MontageM and Genos 2.

• Like 1

$150!  When the Summer shows were in Nashville, any member of the Musicians Union could attend for free. Of course, for keyboarders, those summer shows were barely worth the cost 😉  Then again, seeing Mike Martin and Dave Bryce always made up for the lack of gear wow.

• Like 4
  • Cool 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

I was offered passes this week, as it turns out, and turned them down. I will officially wait until next year. Have fun, forumites!

I too am holding out and actively planning for 2025, looking forward to it :thu: 

• Like 1

FYI, from NAMM.org,

The 2025 NAMM Show: January 23–26, 2025

The 2026 NAMM Show: January 22–25, 2026

I had not seen these dates published before this week. My calendar is already marked.

• Like 1

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I’m not sure how much time I’ll have to contribute this year, but these are sources I’ve used in the past. They should provide some helpful gear news:

SonicState

SonicState YouTube Channel

Sound On Sound News

Sound On Sound YouTube Channel

GearSpace NAMM 2024

KVR NAMM 2024 News

Best,

Geoff

• Like 4

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Okay, so it actually does look like a NAMM show.  

Clearly more people in attendance than were at any of the Anaheim NAMMs during COVID.  I didn't even have time to take very many pics yesterday because I kept bumping into friends and colleagues.  

A pleasant surprise, to be sure.

dB

• Like 2

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

34 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

Okay, so it actually does look like a NAMM show.  

Clearly more people in attendance than were at any of the Anaheim NAMMs during COVID.  I didn't even have time to take very many pics yesterday because I kept bumping into friends and colleagues.  

A pleasant surprise, to be sure.

dB

More booths than last year?

Would any soft synth fans be willing to head towards booth 10206 and provide your impressions? U-He is demoing their Zebralette 3 which seems like a fresh way to interact with sound. But is it really? Or is it more of the same? Thanks.

39 minutes ago, Tusker said:

Would any soft synth fans be willing to head towards booth 10206 and provide your impressions? U-He is demoing their Zebralette 3 which seems like a fresh way to interact with sound. But is it really? Or is it more of the same? Thanks.

Not at Namm, but I've been following Zebra 3 discussions on KVR where Urs has been describing progress and answering some questions.  I am far from a synthesis expert but my impression is that there are quite a number of new and interesting things in Z3....how they compare to other products, I can't really say.    Obviously everyone has their wishlist items when it comes to synthesizers so "fresh" is going to be a very subjective thing :)  

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 10:02 AM, HammondDave said:

So do they really think that a purple piano will compel musicians to spend thousands of dollars to attend NAMM?  After about ten years of attending, my NAMM days are over (and I live about 25 miles away from Anaheim). Just not worth it anymore. Too many people, too few inspiring products, same “is that all there is?” feeling… It’s kind of sad. 

Because instruments aren't really made for performing musicians Dave.  I totally get it. 

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

9 hours ago, The Real MC said:

More booths than last year?

Yes.  Better booths too.

2 hours ago, Bobadohshe said:

Was supposed to go today but tested positive for Covid.

I have a feeling more than a few attendees may come away from the show with it.  Both days so far have been quite busy. I was in several booths today that were packed, and very few people were wearing masks.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk: