Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Grammy Award Show

24 minutes ago, Piktor said:

That Raitt song was written by some Canadian guys. I hear some worthwhile music coming from the  Brothers Landreth and offshoot projects by Joey Landreth and Ariel Posen. It’s mostly guitar based, but the writing, singing and  playing (lots of slide, great tones, etc) make for some great modern roots based music. As a point of reference, they aren’t so far off from Chris Stapleton. It was nice to hear Bonnie give them a shout out. 

Those guys are from Winnipeg, my hometown. We've got a surprisingly good music scene here, and I like when the rest of the world tunes into that!

• Like 3

Samara Joy is the real deal. Ben Paterson on piano on her record, too. He's a stellar jazz organist as well.

I didn't watch. I have no interest. Someone on FB posted a screen shot of a tweet by a random nobody on Twitter that said, "Bonnie Raitt? Now they makin' up people so Beyonce doesn't win" or something like that. Girl, Beyonce has something like 30 Grammys. She's fine. And Raitt has been in the biz for what... 50 years? C'mon.

• Like 3

I didn't watch either, actually.

I was checking out a jazz jam session in DC, led by a local drummer.  He had a pianist as part of his regular trio for the first set.  Then other pianists took their turns - 3 in all.  

Lot of talent in the room that night.  I was just happy to watch - definitely not ready to jam with those cats.

I didn't realize the Grammys were happening at the same time until a break between sets, when one muso asked another "Any Grammy news?"

• Like 1

"Beyoncé makes history with most Grammy wins of all time."   Reminds me of Kanye West's rudeness in 2009.   I can't help but think that somebody is pulling strings with money etc. behind the scenes to promote Beyonce, i.e. a modern form of payola.   How else could this happen.   Not that she isn't good or anything.   It just seems to me that she's hyped to the max.

Is it possible to watch a recording of the show?   I thought I'd like to watch a few minutes of it, or see if I could find any highlights.   There's a couple of links to the show on Youtube that turn out to be bogus.   I found something called the "Premiere Ceremony", which is separate from the main show.   The opening number featured Bob Mintzer (ts, Yellowjackets), that was kinda fun.   But I'd like to get a taste of the real junk food.

28 minutes ago, rickzjamm said:

You could give Stevie a shoebox with a rubber band on it & it would sound amazing. His voice never ages... what a performance.  

I thought that was the best part of the show.

Stevie Wonder

Greg Phillinganes

Smokey Robinson

and the sons of Boyz II Men's Wanya Morris bringing it old school

• Like 1

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

1 hour ago, Bill H. said:

Thanks, but it doesn't work for me, probably something to do with me being in Canader.   Judging from some of the clips I can find, I think I'm probably better off that I can't watch it....   😃 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Docbop said:

You mean people like David Bowie who was doing his thing for over ten years before he because the hot new thing.     Successful means something different to everyone.   Financially,  peer recognition,  size of following, there are artists who were big that didn't make much money.   Some that made a lot of money and disappear a couple years later.   People who were great artist, but average person never heard of because artist never spent time publicizing themselves.    There are different levels and types of success.   

Two great bass players I went to highschool with one most of you know the other probably many of heard or might of worked with, but the average person will say who.   They are John Clayton and Bob Glaub.   I imagine everyone knows of John Clayton, but Bob a lot less yet both are out there still working.    So effective and successful to who?

Funny I've heard of Glaub as he has a signature bass but never heard of Clayton, lol.

• Like 2

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

44 minutes ago, Polkahero said:

Funny I've heard of Glaub as he has a signature bass but never heard of Clayton, lol.

Well I know who Bob is 😃   He's been a friend for years going back to some records we did together.  His playing with Taj is all he'd ever need to have done for me to big a fan!

• Like 2

I was happy to see a nom for Best New Artist and win for Best Bluegrass Album go to Molly Tuttle. She is an incredible guitar virtuoso and her band plays Bluegrass with a jam band attitude. Along with her originals she does some great covers in her shows. Check out her version of "She's a Rainbow".

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

36 minutes ago, JazzPiano88 said:

That is Stevie????   Would never recognize him in a million years.

I heard he's been dealing with a lot if illness last couple years.    I hope he's getting better he is a musical treasure for the world. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ITGITC said:

What was that drum that Mick Fleetwood was playing?  

He pulled the ropes/strings on the side to raise the pitch, I believe.

Mick.jpg

It's a talking drum from West Africa. 

• Like 1

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

17 hours ago, EscapeRocks said:

I thought that was the best part of the show.

Stevie Wonder

Greg Phillinganes

Smokey Robinson

Count me in! No seizure inducing lights, nobody sticking their booty into the camera lens.

They. Just. Freakin'. Played.

And ripped it up. Glad to see Nile get a nod and the mic by default. Man is a funk metronome.

Only question mark -- No mention of the recently departed Barrett Strong Jr. at the Motown love-in?

All the best -- pj

Finished watching last night. I thought the show was good, mainly because of the performances, most of which were live.  I too enjoyed the stripped down Stevie medley with Smokey and Chris Stapleton.  Just about all the performances were great, possibly some overkill on the vegas-cirque-du-soleil stuff on some songs. Not sure what Harry Styles is doing, the song he played seemed like a coldplay tune, but he gets points for not playing it safe.

The tribute/remembrance section I thought was excellent.  Even the autotune singer seemed to fit perfectly with his human counterparts, it all worked very well. The hip hop tribute was a true extravaganza, amazing how they seemed to pull it off without any major noticeable gaffs.  And finally, Trever Noah was an excellent host.

So there you go.. right back atcha all you Grammy haters!

• Like 1

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

21 hours ago, Piktor said:

That Raitt song was written by some Canadian guys. I hear some worthwhile music coming from the  Brothers Landreth and offshoot projects by Joey Landreth and Ariel Posen. It’s mostly guitar based, but the writing, singing and  playing (lots of slide, great tones, etc) make for some great modern roots based music. As a point of reference, they aren’t so far off from Chris Stapleton. It was nice to hear Bonnie give them a shout out. 

The song she won for Song Of The Year she wrote herself... "Just Like That". The song they wrote and she recorded is called "Made Up Mind"... it won Best Americana Song. 

No interest in watching the Grammys live; figure I can watch any highlights later if desired.  I find the whole art as sports thing unappealing....and yet I was super happy to see that Madison Cunningham won.  I guess the upside of these things is that some viewers will go check out some new deserving act.

• Like 1

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

27 minutes ago, Sam Mullins said:

No interest in watching the Grammys live; figure I can watch any highlights later if desired.  I find the whole art as sports thing unappealing....and yet I was super happy to see that Madison Cunningham won.  I guess the upside of these things is that some viewers will go check out some new deserving act.

I didn't watch but I'm curious if Taylor Swift had a "wardrobe malfunction"?  If she doesn't win any Grammys next year she might start having 'em and I confess I'll probably Google 'em.  Yeah, I know, I'm a dirty old man.

On a more serious note, I'm glad to see that Molly Tuttle received a Grammy.  IMO she's a monster talent.  I've been following the arc of her and equally talented Billy Strings' Bluegrass careers for several years now. 

• Like 1

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

9 minutes ago, HSS said:

I didn't watch but I'm curious if Taylor Swift had a "wardrobe malfunction"?  If she doesn't win any Grammys next year she might start having 'em and I confess I'll probably Google 'em.  Yeah, I know, I'm a dirty old man.

On a more serious note, I'm glad to see that Molly Tuttle received a Grammy.  IMO she's a monster talent.  I've been following the arc of her and equally talented Billy Strings' Bluegrass careers for several years now. 

On the real, IMO Taylor Swift has been sold short because of how hot she is, and also a bit by her babydoll voice. She's a monstrous talent, and the Dirty Old Man contingent has been slow to notice because of the other stuff we notice. Those pandemic albums are gorgeous. 

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com