Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Grammy Award Show

1 hour ago, MathOfInsects said:

This was funky AF. Trading at end was wanky but damn, until then...

https://fb.watch/iyuN6okNOG/

Yes it was!   Stevie is strong.   What was the thing he (Stevie was playing at the end, while standing next to country guitar hair?  (Edit: just looked him up - Chris Stapleton)

@Docbop, that's funny, I was thinking the same thing. Hammer-on to play, both are impressive. Almost bought a Chapman stick but then woke-up and figured that energy would best be put into the keys. 

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

I thought the harpejii thing was the worst of that jam.  It sounded clunky in the mix, a bit out of tune and off time as well.  I think - for the moment - it might be used to better effect in slower, more atmospheric pieces. Not trying to rain on the harpejii parade, maybe it will be awesome as people get to use it more, and props for Stevie taking a chance and trying it out in one of the biggest venues.

• Like 1

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

1 hour ago, TommyRude said:

I thought the harpejii thing was the worst of that jam.  It sounded clunky in the mix, a bit out of tune and off time as well. 

I may be in the minority, but I thought the Higher Ground jam didn't do either Stevie or the song justice. It quickly got really cluttered and busy. I could have done without Chris Stapleton's guitar, and maybe one less keyboard player  - as well as the harpejii.

https://www.grammy.com/videos/stevie-wonder-chris-stapleton-higher-ground-watch-2023-grammys-65th-grammy-awards-performance-live

The mix was busy but I thought it grooved hard....right up until Chris Stapleton started playing at the end. He seemed completely lost in the land of the groove. You can hear Stevie try to converse with him on the harpeji, but that whole section was a wash. Even the band seemed to loosen up there (in a bad way). But for me, all the better--it was nice to hear that stuff happen in real time. And sort of a relief to know that even Stevie wonder sometimes doesn't find gold when he goes digging. 

• Like 2

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com