Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Grammy Award Show

Stevie Wonder - Vintage Vibe provided the clavinet he was playing, but their name was covered up with tape.

What was the instrument he was playing at the end of his performance?

• Like 1
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

It seems the secondary keyboard player with the red Roland isn't famous enough to have to cover up his board's maker...

Does that prove RHIP, that "Rank Has Its Privileges" or something else?

Old No7 

• Like 1

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

And I thought it sounded terrible… surprising, because I’ve always enjoyed it in other performances. Oh well, I give Stevie Wonder as many passes as are available. Great to see Greg Phillinganes getting so much camera attention too.

9 hours ago, Docbop said:

That was Stevie and his Harpejii.    

497046237_StevieatGrammys2023.thumb.jpg.a9b028502b9a5b08fb35bc41dda35d49.jpg

What struck me most about the Grammy Awards show was the diversity of music.

Here on the east coast, I didn't watch it past 11:30 PM.  I went to bed.  So I'm sure I missed many of the categories I would like to have seen.  But we all have our favorite music.  I did not grow up listening to hip-hop artists and naturally, I don't gravitate to it when I listen to the radio.  But it was great to see how many people so enjoy it!  Last night they celebrated 50 years of hip-hop:

"A who’s who of hip-hop royalty took the stage for an epic, rousing 15 minute tribute to the genre’s 50th anniversary. The performance included Grandmaster Flash doing part of his seminal hit “The Message,” Run DMC, Chuck D and Flavor Flav along with Ice-T, Queen Latifah, Busta Rhymes and Nelly all taking the stage."

Music is what we do.  Music and musicians should be celebrated.  My congratulations to all the musicians represented last night!

ITGITC? :classic_cool:

• Like 3
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

A few thoughts on the Grammys as a DJ (and a few personal ones I guess):

If you don't "get" Bad Bunny (who opened the show) honestly I don't either, but it's almost impossible to underestimate the power of his tracks in a nightclub. When I drop something like Titi Me Pregunto the room will often just explode. It was probably the most requested track I had last year - and this was in a mainstream room catering to all young adults. I have a niece living in the Dominican Republic, and she just loves this guy... and she's a classically trained musician. It's all in the beat and message I guess, and since I don't speak Spanish I'm out.

Morgan Wallen must still be in hot water because he wasn't even nominated for anything. You Proof is the only country song I've had requests for in this decidedly non-country room. I've even had requests for this track from young blacks. Through a club sound system it sounds like a hip-hop track with it's decidedly trap/hip-hop beat loop taking the place of a traditional drums and bass.  Anyway it was #1 on the country charts for what seemed like half the year. 

By far the biggest track from a new artist I had was Latto's Big Energy (a riff on Genius Of Love) which didn't win anything. I think it was nominated for something though. 

The only time I got goosebumps while watching the show was when Smokey came out for Tears Of A Clown. 

17 minutes ago, Bill H. said:

If you don't "get" Bad Bunny (who opened the show) honestly I don't either, but it's almost impossible to underestimate the power of his tracks in a nightclub. When I drop something like Titi Me Pregunto the room will often just explode. It was probably the most requested track I had last year - and this was in a mainstream room catering to all young adults. I have a niece living in the Dominican Republic, and she just loves this guy... and she's a classically trained musician. It's all in the beat and message I guess, and since I don't speak Spanish I'm out.

Reggaeton is huge all over not just Latin countries, it goes back to 80's-90's and Bad Bunny is one of biggest Reggaeton artists.  His concerts pack football stadiums.   It's like Hip Hop most don't even know it's been around for 50 years now it took until mid-80's for Grammys to even have a Hip Hop category.  The web (WWW) came about around 1992 that was the beginning of a global music scene and different cultures influencing each other.  I think we grow from learning about and mixing cultures.  

• Like 2

Admittedly, I have not watched the Grammys in decades.

This old musician has zero interest in that self-congratulatory spectacle.😁

However, I did manage to see the Hip-Hop celebration.  Well done. 

Also, it was great that Samara Joy won Best New Artist and Robert Glasper won Best R&B Album. 😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

12 minutes ago, Docbop said:

Reggaeton is huge all over not just Latin countries, it goes back to 80's-90's and Bad Bunny is one of biggest Reggaeton artists.  His concerts pack football stadiums.   It's like Hip Hop most don't even know it's been around for 50 years now it took until mid-80's for Grammys to even have a Hip Hop category.  The web (WWW) came about around 1992 that was the beginning of a global music scene and different cultures influencing each other.  I think we grow from learning about and mixing cultures.  

Absolutely! I like a good Reggaeton track, and have been playing heavy doses of Reggaeton ever since I started this side gig almost 20 years ago.

My main gripe with Bad Bunny is that he can't sing! 😄 All his vocals are heavily and obviously autotuned. The best thing Bad Bunny is bringing to the table (IMO) is mixing in Latin beats other than Reggaeton. Despues de la Playa (what he opened the Grammys with) is more of a Merengue track than anything else. Titi Me Pregunto (what works the best for me in a nightclub) is Dembow  kinda crossed with Reggaeton. The only other time I've played Dembow is when I was in a club that catered to cruise ship crews - who were often from the Caribbean. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mate stubb said:

I weep for the future of music.

Don't bother. 

- 7 billion people

- Cost of music production less than ever

- Cost of music distribution less then ever

So it's highly improbable that there isn't great music being produced every day (regardless of what kind of music you like)

Finding it is another issue.....

• Like 6

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

38 minutes ago, Sam Mullins said:

Don't bother. 

- 7 billion people

So it's highly improbable that there isn't great music being produced every day (regardless of what kind of music you like)

I saw a cool interview yesterday with big name artist, sadly at this moment can't remember his name (I'm getting to be  that age).    His gripe came from someone who is one of bedroom DIY music people saying they are equals because they both have tracks on Spotify or something similar.   Artist said you enjoy making DIY music that is great just realize you and people who spent their lives working on music are different.    

I think the artist if right and I see DIY music makers online all the time acting like they are legit artist because they put together some musical legos to make a beat, not even a complete song.    It's like when paint by the numbers pictures was a big fade, but some started acting like they were artist.  no you're basically a hobbyist and your painting is obvious to even your grandmother it's a paint by the number picture.     Have fun, dream big, but realize you're not the same level, maybe one day but not now.  

Eh. The more the merrier. Not everyone has a career's worth of great songs in them, but even some of those "dreamers" have at least one good one in there. I'd rather get to hear it than turn them away at the door until they can bring a member in with them.

• Like 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

59 minutes ago, Sam Mullins said:

Don't bother. 

- 7 billion people

Hopefully Forumites are on familiar ground with As It Was - an infectious synth heavy pop track that sounds like it came straight from 1985 :laugh: Harry Styles won album of the year with it's inclusion. Single of the year was Lizzo's About Damn Time - which was also a huge hit as well as being a pretty decent song - with actual verses, choruses, melodies, hooks, and stuff. :) Song of the year (which celebrates the songwriter) is the one Bonnie Raitt took home. It's a song I'd never heard of, but that's not the point of this particular award I guess. 

26 minutes ago, Docbop said:

Artist said you enjoy making DIY music that is great just realize you and people who spent their lives working on music are different.

I think the artist if right and I see DIY music makers online all the time acting like they are legit artist because they put together some musical legos to make a beat, not even a complete song. 

The artist may not be accepting the fact that there are popular styles of music built on that Lego approach to music production. 

Many Grammy award winning Pop songs are produced electronically with beat machines and KBs. 

Nashville is probably one of the few remaining music production centers in America with a ban on Akai MPCs. 🤣😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

2 hours ago, ProfD said:

Admittedly, I have not watched the Grammys in decades.

This old musician has zero interest in that self-congratulatory spectacle.😁

However, I did manage to see the Hip-Hop celebration.  Well done. 

Also, it was great that Samara Joy won Best New Artist and Robert Glasper won Best R&B Album. 😎

Talk about a "self-congratulatory spectacle"... How about the "First Annual Dr. Dre Award": going to.... Dr. Dre!  That's when I turned it off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

1 minute ago, ProfD said:

The artist may not be accepting the fact that there are popular styles of music built on that Lego approach to music production. 

Many Grammy award winning Pop songs are produced electronically with beat machines and KBs. 

Nashville is probably one of the few remaining music production centers in America that prohibits Akai MPCs. 🤣😎

But it about who is using the  Legos a artist  who understand music or a someone just having fun.    

28 minutes ago, Docbop said:

Artist said you enjoy making DIY music that is great just realize you and people who spent their lives working on music are different.

yeah but... have the people working their entire lives been effective and successful?

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

21 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Nashville is probably one of the few remaining music production centers in America with a ban on Akai MPCs. 🤣😎

There's an Elektronauts forum member who claims to be a Nashville pro, frequently posting on MPC threads.  

Of course he won't give up his true identity as a Nashville muso.  He could be anybody from a 13-year-old kid to a retiree posing as an idealized (to him) version of himself.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TommyRude said:

yeah but... have the people working their entire lives been effective and successful?

You mean people like David Bowie who was doing his thing for over ten years before he because the hot new thing.     Successful means something different to everyone.   Financially,  peer recognition,  size of following, there are artists who were big that didn't make much money.   Some that made a lot of money and disappear a couple years later.   People who were great artist, but average person never heard of because artist never spent time publicizing themselves.    There are different levels and types of success.   

Two great bass players I went to highschool with one most of you know the other probably many of heard or might of worked with, but the average person will say who.   They are John Clayton and Bob Glaub.   I imagine everyone knows of John Clayton, but Bob a lot less yet both are out there still working.    So effective and successful to who?

I was happy to hear some Spanish language music open the show. Personally not a fan of Bad Bunnies vocals either but obviously lots of people all over the world absolutely love him. I think that he has broken away from the stereo typical Latino, hip hop, reggaetón, misogynistic themes. I suppose women are getting tired of that, and he seems to be embarrassing the LGBTQ community although he’s married to a women. I think people are intrigued by him, his message has resonated with the masses even though many can not understand a word he “ sings” 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Docbop said:

You mean people like David Bowie who was doing his thing for over ten years before he because the hot new thing.     Successful means something different to everyone.   Financially,  peer recognition,  size of following, there are artists who were big that didn't make much money.   Some that made a lot of money and disappear a couple years later.   People who were great artist, but average person never heard of because artist never spent time publicizing themselves.    There are different levels and types of success.   

Two great bass players I went to highschool with one most of you know the other probably many of heard or might of worked with, but the average person will say who.   They are John Clayton and Bob Glaub.   I imagine everyone knows of John Clayton, but Bob a lot less yet both are out there still working.    So effective and successful to who?

understand your point.  My point was that just because someone has worked their entire life doesn't mean we should shut out someone who pieces something together in their bedroom - - that bedroom artist might catch lightning in a bottle, you never know.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

1 hour ago, Bill H. said:

Hopefully Forumites are on familiar ground with As It Was - an infectious synth heavy pop track that sounds like it came straight from 1985 :laugh: Harry Styles won album of the year with it's inclusion. Single of the year was Lizzo's About Damn Time - which was also a huge hit as well as being a pretty decent song - with actual verses, choruses, melodies, hooks, and stuff. :) Song of the year (which celebrates the songwriter) is the one Bonnie Raitt took home. It's a song I'd never heard of, but that's not the point of this particular award I guess. 

That Raitt song was written by some Canadian guys. I hear some worthwhile music coming from the  Brothers Landreth and offshoot projects by Joey Landreth and Ariel Posen. It’s mostly guitar based, but the writing, singing and  playing (lots of slide, great tones, etc) make for some great modern roots based music. As a point of reference, they aren’t so far off from Chris Stapleton. It was nice to hear Bonnie give them a shout out. 

• Like 3