Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sustain pedal slides on hardwood floor

Get a piece of rubber sheet, hardware stores should have. If putting the pedal on that reduces or eliminates the sliding, consider sticking a smaller piece of it to the bottom of the pedal with double stick tape. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I remember Pianoman Chuck suggesting turning it sideways😀

I once mounted one to a piece of laminated particle board, big enough to allow your heel to be on the board too. If nothing else, the weight of it all stopped it sliding around.

Other than than, my go to is a better sheet of rubber underneath.

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

Folks:  This is the easiest and best solution, really works great, sincerely.  (I have no financial interest in it, just a musical one.). https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/cool-tool-creep-no-more/

Follow On:  UGH, I’ve tried to find it for sale, and I cannot seem to find it anywhere.  Don’t know if covid killed the company or what?….  Also, to those reviewers who said it didn’t work, I would respond that they do not know how to correctly use a sustain pedal.  The reason this works so well is that the downward weight of your heal keeps it in place under your foot, wherever your foot goes.  Works wonderfully for me.  YMMV.d

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

This is my solution but might only work for me - or someone else using an X-stand like I do. It's reminiscent of how the old Yamaha CP70 sustain pedal assembly worked. All homebrew, a few dollars' worth of materials at a Home Depot or hardware store, and a few minutes drilling some holes into a sustain pedal. The chains stay attached and drop into my accessory case.

I posted a thread about this a little over five years ago. It's still here, but postimages.org changed to postimages.cc and my picture links broke. I'll attach a few of the shots here -

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is a key ring! --->

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks everyone, really good suggestions here.  Hey Ewall, what kind of stand is that in your picture?  I like how there's plenty of room for your feet, etc underneath the board.  Does this stand come in a version that has two tiers?

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D

7 hours ago, MrVegas said:

Besides duct tape, any suggestion for my sustain pedal that slides all over the living room hardwood floor?

Turn the pedal 90 degrees (pedal facing east-west rather than north-south). Don't ask me why but it doesn't slide that way.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I bring a 3x5 rug to every gig.   It only cost me 30 bucks online, has a grippy rubber underside and nice traditional pattern.  Looks really nice up on stage (especially when you don't actually have a stage!).   It's indoor/outdoor but looks like something you'd use indoors.   It's barely wide enough (3') for my stand, I run it back under me so it's a little extra cushion (I stand to play).   I use two fc5 pedals that don't really move on it, but if a pedal still slid you could add velcro as mentioned above.

Our bassist has a somewhat larger, thicker more industrial rug, dark grey.  He mentioned he got it at Costco.

• Like 1

This is my custom built solution for my portable setup. I machined a thin (2mm) Makrolon piece, adapted so the rear legs of the Spider Pro keep it from moving. Then, some Velcro on it and on the pedals keep them fix but also easy to reconfigure (I have just added a looper to the set and an expression pedal is in the works)

This idea is best suited to that kind of supports, as the distance between legs is not too big, so the plastic piece is also relatively small. The width is not larger because this way I can transport it in the pocket of my Montage 6 bag. As it is just 2mm thick, the step on the front is not noticeable.

Just a DIY idea 😅

Jose

IMG_20220721_112600.jpg

IMG_20220721_111128.jpg

I also have a  3 foot by 5 foot mat like Ewall has. It has a rubber underside.  But I added a five pound weight. Between those two items, my pedal hasn’t moved a millimeter. Until tmmr that is LOL. As for the stand, I use this on stage stand.  Hope this helps. Happy Holidays to all

on stage stand.JPG

pedal weight.jpg

• Like 2

C'mon guys, why all the overkill suggestions?   Roland DP-10 is the answer!   I can attest that they work.  Simple and works with Yamaha and Korg as well as other brands.   If for some reason your kbd has different polarity, most kbd operating systems allow you to reverse it.

If not, physical in-line polarity reversers are available, I believe.  Although, I can't seem to find on online.   Pretty sure these used to be available.

Anyways, Merry Christmas!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Floyd Tatum said:

C'mon guys, why all the overkill suggestions?   Roland DP-10 is the answer!

An elegant and simple solution but it didn't work for me; I think it's because I lift my heel slightly as I press the pedal, so there's not enough weight on that extendable pad to keep the pedal from creeping. Definitely worth trying before bringing rugs, pads, or gaff tape though!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MrVegas said:

Besides duct tape, any suggestion for my sustain pedal that slides all over the living room hardwood floor?

Hello, I have made this to hold the pedal of my ES8. Besides the MDF/(Ply)wood board and some of those 3M silicon drops, one could add some weights to make it stay if necessary. In my case the fact it is against the wall was sufficient.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Inspiration came from this very same forum BTW.

HTH

I have two volume pedals and one sustain pedal attached (using double sided velcro) to a 1/4 inch plexiglass sheet with its own rubber feet.  Very solid and compact.

-dj

20221225_124645.jpg

• Like 1

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

Get yourself a tube of GE Silicone, flip the pedal over, and squeeze out a bead of this stuff around the perimeter of the pedal that makes contact with the floor.  Let it dry 24 hours before using it.  The bead of silicone will "grip" the smooth floor.  It's relatively easy to peel off of a hard surface like the bottom of the pedal if it doesn't work for you, or if you change your mind down the road.

silicone.thumb.jpg.5fa3adc31d126940199b74ef41e8e94e.jpg

On 12/24/2022 at 11:40 AM, MrVegas said:

I use gaffer tape so it doesnt leave residue if i have a backlined x-stand or something.  I use an x-stand set low for practicing at home (sitting height) also, i just deal with some movement and stop between songs and move it usually.  

My stage stand for local gigs is the Ultimate AX-48 (I play standing), it has horizontal foot braces that stop forward movement when i play live so I don’t need to tape it down.  

If you don’t want to tape, a non-slip pad as others recommend will work great and is simple and cheap

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

On 12/24/2022 at 1:54 PM, CyberGene said:

I use the Roland DP-10 that has a rubber mat underneath that you step onto:

dp_10_angle_tongue_gal.jpg

https://www.roland.com/us/products/dp-10/

In a pinch, you can add the equivalent of that rubber "tongue" to your existing pedal, using duct or gaffer tape. Pull off two feet or so, then fold it almost in half, sticky side inward, leaving one side a couple of inches short. Then stick that exposed patch to the underside of your pedal, with the "tongue" stretched out in front -- like the DP-10

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

On 12/24/2022 at 6:00 PM, ewall08530 said:

An $18 indoor/ outdoor mat with some fibers and a male strip of Velcro on the pedal. 
Simple and functional. 

7127D69C-4B13-4964-8CB9-E71C321E09CF.jpeg

I used to use a smaller mat for the same solution and I have 7 pedals that I regularly use on gigs. Works great.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

An elegant and simple solution but it didn't work for me; I think it's because I lift my heel slightly as I press the pedal, so there's not enough weight on that extendable pad to keep the pedal from creeping. Definitely worth trying before bringing rugs, pads, or gaff tape though!

That's too bad.   I guess I can't expect it to work for everybody.    Merry Christmas!

6 hours ago, Floyd Tatum said:

Roland DP-10 is the answer!   I can attest that they work.  Simple and works with Yamaha and Korg as well as other brands.

Sadly--because i like that pedal too--it turns out *not* to be compatible with my PC-4.  I don't know what the technical issue is.  It's not just polarity--in fact, it will work sometimes for hours or days at a time--its just some intermittent unreliability.  Kurzweil tech support said it's incompatible, so I gave up and replaced it with Kurzweil's pedal (the KP-1H).

I also have an non-half-damper-capable equivalent to the DP-10 which works ok with the PC-4.

• Like 1

I tried that Roland DP-10 pedal and didn't like the feel of it.  I always bring a small non-skid carpeted mat and apply velcro to the bottom of my pedal, works great.

• Like 1

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

4 hours ago, bfields said:

Sadly--because i like that pedal too--it turns out *not* to be compatible with my PC-4.  I don't know what the technical issue is.  It's not just polarity--in fact, it will work sometimes for hours or days at a time--its just some intermittent unreliability.  Kurzweil tech support said it's incompatible, so I gave up and replaced it with Kurzweil's pedal (the KP-1H).

I also have an non-half-damper-capable equivalent to the DP-10 which works ok with the PC-4.

I posted this on GS a while back, but I had used a DP-10 with my PC4 fine for almost two years. Then I realized that it was never actually returning to zero and was adding a touch of sustain to everything - barely noticeable evidently. As long as I had the half-damper function turned off, it worked correctly. But I like having half-damper, so I ordered a Korg DS1H, which is supposed to be compatible. After the holidays I’ll have time to see how it works.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

On 12/24/2022 at 8:31 PM, MrVegas said:

Thanks everyone, really good suggestions here.  Hey Ewall, what kind of stand is that in your picture?  I like how there's plenty of room for your feet, etc underneath the board.  Does this stand come in a version that has two tiers?

The stand is a Gator Frameworks and I have On Stage 2nd tiers that easily attach. 
plinks are below.  

https://www.amazon.com/Gator-Frameworks-Keyboard-Adjustability-Leveling/dp/B00BMUCRRQ/ref=sr_1_4?crid=26ZTNIX9KCNYD&keywords=Keyboard+stand+table&qid=1672064797&s=musical-instruments&sprefix=keyboard+stand+table%2Cmi%2C121&sr=1-4

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002E3DNU?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details