Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Foreplay/Long Time feat. Lachy Doley and Other Notables

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was prepared to hate on this, but, boy was I wrong. It's great. I can't imagine how they played this to a click. Also, they looked like they were having a blast.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

What a cast of players in this show. Really nice job on this by all!

Great to know that this sound - this Boston sound (the writing, arranging, recording and playing) has crossed genres and decades and still has people go, "you wanna do Foreplay / Long Time? shit yeah I'll play on that project!". But Brad Delp, RIP. I still think he's one of the hardest to do justice for any cover effort, like Freddy. A rare diamond, sorely missed.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

unnecessary Clavinet wankery

A lot of tall poppy choppers around hereâlike there was not a lick of excess guitar wankery in the whole trackâ¦.

“For 50 years, it was like being chained to a lunatic.”

-- Kingsley Amis on the eventual loss of his libido

A lot of tall poppy choppers around hereâlike there was not a lick of excess guitar wankery in the whole trackâ¦.

Speaking of which, where did the bottleneck bit come from?

:idk:

and + 1e6 on the UCW

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Did not really like the female vocals from VInyl Live Jams, but that dude in the first video had an amazing gravelly voice.

Both Hammond performances were tasty for sure.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D

Literally, in this case.

But....had the song started with one of those Guitar Wanks instead of Doley's, I think the response would have been the same. It didn't add anything, IMO. But I know others are more receptive to Doley's Wankings than I am, so admittedly that might be a factor, at least for me.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Literally, in this case.

But....had the song started with one of those Guitar Wanks instead of Doley's, I think the response would have been the same. It didn't add anything, IMO. But I know others are more receptive to Doley's Wankings than I am, so admittedly that might be a factor, at least for me.

'Doley"s Wankings" - bamd name!

Loved everything in the OP vid except the unnecessary Clavinet wankery at the beginning.

I liked the clavinet part the best! Maybe unnecessary but completely tasty and soulful. Not sure why they threw that in except for a little bit of misdirection maybe

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Can anybody recommend a youtube video (or equivalent) on how to learn to play the Hammond part of this song? I don't read music notation so a note-by-note type demonstration would be wonderful.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D

WOW WOW WOW!!! Love it! Drummer is off the charts!!!! (So is everyone else)... THAT is how you cover a song!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• 2 months later...