Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Latest Purchase (music related)

Thought I'd share a pleasant surprise -- inexpensive IEMs that sound GREAT!

I tried a pair at rehearsal tonight, and couldn't believe my ears.  How does $50 sound for a five-driver sealed design that uses components seen elsewhere?  Compared to my Westone AM Pro 30s, it was like night and day.  Those extra two drivers make a difference.

I came home and bought a few pair just to have around: studio, gig bag, couch, etc. 

Find them here if you're interested: "KZ ZS10 Pro, Linsoul 4BA+1DD 5 Driver in-Ear HiFi Metal Earphones with Stainless Steel Faceplate, 2 Pin Detachable Cable".   I guess they don't spend much on marketing ...

• Like 4

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Been showing Roland a little love lately.  Needed some good acoustic emulations plus some older Roland synth sounds and the Integra-7 has them in spades.

integra-7_front_main.jpg

And because it dropped into my lap, a TR-8s and the samples from Mars library.  All the drum machines of yore in one place

tr-8s_tn.jpg

Pretty much years of experimenting ahead between these two boxes!

• Cool 1

Kurzweil PC3x - Polybrute - Voyager XL - Minitaur - Roland PK-5 - Integra-7 - TR-8s - KArp Odyssey

"Prog keyboardists are supposed to look like they're manning the helm of the Starship Enterprise..." -synthizen2

Some new heads for the Pearl kit.  Went with all Evans--G2 coated on the toms and snare, EMAD coated on the two bass drums.  Also got a 22" Hydraulic that I'll be using on my Tama kit as a reso head on the bass drum.

• Like 1

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

So I made 2 new purchases I wanted to share with you all.

1st a Modal Cobalt 8x. It came up on the used market for a price I couldn't pass up, and I figured with the robust metal build quality and excellent fatar synth keybed it would be an excellent rugged midi controller for synth parts/second board in a live rig even if I didn't love the sounds ( Not to mention every encoder transmits midi data). The modulation options and quirky onboard synth engine are the icing on top for my use case. So far really loving creating super wide modulated leads and pads and then taming the harsher tones with a nice VST reverb like NI RAUM. AMA if you're interested.

IMG_4146.thumb.png.915276d22668147434ec39964604d651.png

Even more exciting is I finally found a good quality rhodes for a semi-resonable price. I live near the Denver Area in Colorado, and all the Rhodes I've seen for sale in recent years have been absolutely trashed in quality, with no restoration or maintenance, and still going for around 2k USD. 

This 1974 Mk1 Suitcase 88 ,on the other hand, seems to be in pretty nice shape for it's age. Also, the action ( which I understand is notoriously bad on many Rhodes) is actually pretty responsive. The Miracle (Bump) Mod was installed by a local shop, and they appear to have done some basic tuning, configuration of the strikeline etc. It plays and sounds great to my ears, but it's missing some major things : most notably a sustain pedal and the speaker cabinet/legs. 

It's going to require some parts, and probably some more professional servicing for the parts I don't have the know how to install/replace but I am thrilled to have it. There's something so inspiring about playing it that I just don't get from my Nord, CP88, or Keyscape. I have a billion questions about this new addition to my home studio so I'll probably start another thread to draw on the wisdom of all you wonderful people.

IMG_4123.thumb.png.dca0f2378df8f766b87b57e6515ef197.png

PS . Please excuse the mess in this photo, I hadn't yet gotten it out of our storage room in our house when I took it.

• Like 7
  • Wow! 1
Live Rig: CP88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Moog Sub Phatty

4 hours ago, Art-0252 said:

. . . Even more exciting is I finally found a good quality rhodes for a semi-resonable price.  . . . This 1974 Mk1 Suitcase 88 ,on the other hand, seems to be in pretty nice shape for it's age . . . 

Dude, congratulations. May it bring you joy for many years.

• Thanks 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

On 2/19/2022 at 1:22 PM, Doerfler said:

Agreed. I have a set for my 200A and for my A100. Gifted my MK1 set to ProfD when I sold him my Rhodes piano. They are a very good investment, IMO

I have a set of stackers on my A100 as well.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

MOFT Sit-Stand Laptop Desk

I got it for use in the office, so I don't have to depend on my employer to provide a standing desk.  As it turns out, it's pretty useful as a stand for my Roland MC-707 too - by setting the stand at 25 or 35 degrees and setting the MC-707 on top, I don't have to strain my neck as much to look at the display.

I bought an iPad 9th gen. I use it for music creation and as logic controller with logic remote. I am planning to buy a Mac mini for live use and to pair it with iPad as touch screen for Mac.

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

1 hour ago, UnderGroundH said:

I bought an iPad 9th gen. I use it for music creation and as logic controller with logic remote. I am planning to buy a Mac mini for live use and to pair it with iPad as touch screen for Mac.

I wasn't aware that could be done! Will you use Luna?

• Like 1

Here for the gear.

Does sidecar works for this?

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

s-l1600.jpg

Suzuki M37C melodica (ok, "melodion").  The above pic isn't mine, but it arrive packaged the same way - the same case, the 3 different mouthpieces, the name stickers, and the colorful little booklet that advises against "hurting your friend's face" and "distracting the teacher".

This happened because somebody PM'd me on another forum asking my opinion on melodicas.  Build quality seems pretty decent.  The housing is a mix of plastic and metal - probably aluminum.  Takes very little breath pressure to get a sound, and dynamic range is excellent.

Doesn’t qualify as “latest” but picked a Legend Live up a few months ago after I sold my SK2. Got a stand made up for it but I never liked the colour of the end cheeks. A little too pale for my liking so I sanded down those and the stand and stained and varnished them. Wasn’t looking for the dark mahogany look either so am happy with the outcome. Will put a few more pics in the Legend thread. 

45A561A0-E4FE-4947-815B-092DF551B647.jpeg

• Like 5
Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

Nord Stage 3 73. Musicians Friend and Sweetwater both promised they’d have me one by March 1. Still haven’t heard from them. I saw the stocks on Amazon dwindling and bought from one of the Amazon vendors. Desperate times.

9CD612BB-2BE8-491E-B49B-5226F7683DE7.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Love 1

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

I've had the 3 boards, the Thumps, mixer and pedals * for awhile.... I just added the Tascam DP-24SD and heavy-duty stand, a decent mike and the JBL 305 MkIIs -- as I have had a lot of songs and musical ideas "stuck in my head" since the mid 70's that I need to start recording before I lose them!  I'll polish up the best ones with a DAW later (not acquired yet), but this will get me on the road to recording, mixing -- add in "arranging" -- and mastering.

Even with the Thumps up LOUD, I've not had any issues with the JBLs on top moving around (but I won't ever mix with the Thumps a thumpin'...)

Old No7

* My bride says I need more pedals...  Hey, they make one for the Tascam! And for the Super Knob too!

bLkZMp9.jpg

• Like 4

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

From the non-sexy but geek chic department:

I just bought a 24” touchscreen monitor (Lenovo T24t-20).

I know some of you gig computer rigs that include a small touchscreen. This is my first foray into the Windows touch environment.

Of course, it’s a studio piece, but it’s still a game changer for interacting with soft synths and hosts.

While I wouldn’t do extensive editing on it, it’s perfect for tweaking and getting in the ballpark.  Reach for a virtual knob or slider (or two, or more) and just move it. Push a button. Drag an envelope breakpoint. 

Obviously it works better with big UIs (hooray for size options!) 

Yes I can map hardware or run TouchOSC. This is so much more immediate.

Neat.

-John

I make software noises.