Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Latest Purchase (music related)

Upgrading some of the live rig gear with some holiday funds. I probably should have done these long ago.

Electro-Voice ELX200-10P powered PA speaker; never heard one of these but they seem well-liked for piano reproduction. Yamaha's DXR-10 MKII's are overpriced now. Now I can actually do solo gigs in stereo with my MSR-100 for the treble output (or at least that's the plan).

Rock 'N Roller R12RT cart; one too many trips over a long distance at the last gig with a full PA, dual keyboard rig, mixer, mics and stands, the accordion, etc.

Vox Stomplab IIB bass amp modeling pedal - time to put the PC4's assignable outs to use and beef up the onboard bass tones for LH bass.

Roland Rubix 22 audio/midi interface for mobile recording and potential stage use if I ever want to do that. Runs off of a USB power bank fine!

Other hardware:

Samsung T7 2TB SSD drive for sample libraries; getting close to maxing out my current 1TB drive, and the T7 has faster r/w speeds to boot.

iLok USB-C dongle...I had to give in finally, thanks to those Antelope Audio Verge mics I bought earlier.

Gator 12-mic bag to bring my mic locker back and forth.

Other software:

Orchestral Tools Chuli Sikus (sort of an Andean pan flute)

Orchestral Tools Berlin Percussion Celesta for $1 thanks to the 25 Euro OT voucher they sent out! Highly recommend getting on their mailing list if you're into orchestral music.

Samples From Mars - All the Samples from Mars

8Dio Claire Flute

8Dio The New Century Ensemble Brass - French Horns

8Dio Fire Saxophone

(8Dio Deep Solo Bass free with above purchase, similar to the deal Stokely got on the previous page)

AAS All That Jazz soundset...free.

• Like 2

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I think a Rock N Roller cart isn't too far away from me...

For the moment, I'm awaiting a shipment from Lounsberry Pedals with a Tall & Fat and an Organ Grinder (plus a t-shirt). I also picked up a commemorative poster from the 2017 Jazz Fest (celebrating 50 years of The Meters), the year I attended. I'd say the poster was an impulse purchase, but well, so were the pedals. :laugh:

Francis-Pavy-Jazz-Fest-Poster-2017.jpg

• Like 1

Bought some MPN merch! Two caps. Color options are running low currently, so no black and gray cap but the black one should be fine.

mockup-505b796e_1024x1024@2x.jpg

mockup-c1664670_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Roland Fantom 7 B-stock/Roland Refurbished...$779 with tax thanks to some older gear I traded in. Among others...no more Korg Krome.

12-C336-ED-91-C5-4-B35-8-AAF-3-F7492-E929-F6.jpg

Ibanez BTB-675 electric bass

D4-F2-A826-A721-4290-A1-D5-1-A2891-BFB1-BD.jpg

Gotta ask. What's with the picture frame behind the Fantom?

12-C336-ED-91-C5-4-B35-8-AAF-3-F7492-E929-F6.jpg

That would be a picture of my field Golden Stella that I had as a kid who suddenly passed away young (4.5 years old) from cancer. Still my favorite picture of her and I suppose you could say it can serve as both a reminder and at times an inspiration.

Last of the Anvil cases I'll need... Hammond Porta-B, Kurzweil MIDIBoard, Korg DSS-1, various guitar amp cases.

Now I see what "MC" stands for :D

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

A pair of Sabian AA Medium hi hats for my drum kit.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Roland SC-G76W3 soft case w/wheels for my Fantom 7...the F7 was 0.5 inches too deep to fit in my wood-reinforced SKB case I use for the PC4. Trying to not bump the weight up any further than necessary but I didn't feel like the completely soft Gator GK cases (one of which I have for 61-key boards) had enough padding for such a pricey and heavy keyboard. :/ The Roland is the lightest sturdier one I could get.

Glyph small hard drive case for traveling

EV cover for my ELX200-10p speaker.

finally settled on a motion sound amp , got a 610 , the EPs in my modx 7 sound great and the UHL X3-2 sounds better than anything else i've owned , except through my 3300 , quite good , in fact .

used it a couple of times at a friend's house , a lot of sound for such a compact package . have yet to see how it actually cuts a loud stage though

I've got a new "music computer" -

I just replaced my 2013 27" iMac with:

- Mac Mini M1 (with SSD)

- Apple Magic Keyboard w/Touch ID

- LG 27" QHD monitor

When working with software instruments, the Mini M1 is screamin' fast when compared to my old iMac. I am very happy!

2600.thumb.jpg.d4a8719c978026654003c362e1ab697b.jpg

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

FYI - I got that Zoom mixer last fall and had to return it. Had too many bugs. Had some mic channels drop out and needed to factory reset during practice. Then the monitor outs keep cutting out during the first and only gig I used it for and the iPad connectivity stopped working during the gig as well (with the Bluetooth adapter) - was problematic for our FOH sound person. Sweetwater honored the return and I got the Allen and Heath QU-16 instead. The Zoom is simple to use and I liked it but I couldn"t trust it after so many problems. The A&H is a lot more expensive but has similar features (and motorized sliders and many other pro features) and should be much more reliable. Time will tellâ¦. I hope you do not have the same issues or at least are aware of others that have had issues.

I've got a new "music computer" -

I just replaced my 2013 27" iMac with:

- Mac Mini M1 (with SSD)

- Apple Magic Keyboard w/Touch ID

- LG 27" QHD monitor

When working with software instruments, the Mini M1 is screamin' fast when compared to my old iMac. I am very happy!

Nice. My next computer will be a Mini. Will probably use my 2015 iMac as the display and backup.

Here for the gear.

Nice. My next computer will be a Mini. Will probably use my 2015 iMac as the display and backup.

Yes, you should be able to do that with a 2015 machine. My 2013 iMac did not have the ability to be used as an independent display.

Also, I had planned to use my iMac wireless keyboard with the Mac Mini, but I couldn't get it to work during the initial setup. I learned that people have had problems with this, especially the a1314 model, which is the one I have. So I ran out and got the Magic Keyboard - it's for the best, as the Touch ID feature is great in lieu of having to enter my password to unlock the machine and perform other functions.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

Ibanez BTB-675 electric bass

D4-F2-A826-A721-4290-A1-D5-1-A2891-BFB1-BD.jpg

Nice! I've been a champion of the Ibanez basses for years. When I pretty much quit playing bass in 2010, I only kept 2 instruments, a highly customized Franken-Jazz, and an Ibanez 1306 6-string that had been my main gigging instrument for the previous 20-ish years. I love my 1306, it's a heavy beast, but plays and sounds wonderfully.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

AirTurn Duo Bluetooth pedal for my iPad chart. Bought the cheaper iRig version a year or two back and ended up returning it since it only worked with its own proprietary app (which left a lot to be desired). Shied away from the price of this one and did without for a while, but one came up on Kijiji recently, new in box at almost half price. :cool:

• Like 1

Been busy outfitting the band, so:

- Ape Labs wireless battery light fixtures, W-APP dongle, Lightkey software

- lighting truss, crank poles, mounting hardware

- EPTZ digicams to video the band, PoE switch to power them

- beefy M1 max to record everything, run lights and run music visualization software

- 70" TV for rehearsal room.

Should be fun when everything arrives.  The goal is to be able to shoot half-decent band videos in our rehearsal space.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

It was time for a new Henle edition of the Chopin Etudes. My paperback edition is probably 35 years old now and has seen who knows how many hours. I splurged and got the cloth bound edition, thinking it will probably last the rest of my life.
Oh and the piano is pretty nice too. 🙂 🎹

EBA2F0EF-B29E-4470-B2AE-7A857928675C_1_201_a.jpeg

4377EA2A-1CD1-434F-82C5-27CA3B10E6B6_1_201_a.jpeg

242EB7FE-DA30-41BF-9E79-47BCAD03C3B0_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 9

Yamaha P515 with stand and triple pedal. I’m enjoying this instruments so much!

I bought it because my wife and I bought a condo in Florida to escape the cold Long Island winters and I need something to practice on. I really struggled deciding between an acoustic or digital piano. I finally decided I’d like to have both but that a digital would be first. Sometimes my practicing gets loud and repetitious and I would be self conscious of disturbing the neighbors if I only had an acoustic.

I was led to the P515 by forum member reviews. Fortunately I found a store that had one in stock and was able to play it before buying it. I like the sound, feel, and finger to ear connection. As a plus I’m pleasantly surprised at how much I’m enjoying some of the other features (e.g., binaural headphone experience, USB audio for playing with iRealPro backing tracks, built in 16-track sequencer for quick and easy record / playback, and notation of midi performance using Yamaha’s iPad Smart Pianist app). 

• Like 1

Kurzweil Forte 7, bought used through Guitar Center.   I'm really enjoying it so far, I have 40+ days to find something wrong with it or else back it goes :)  So far everything's great and it even looks close to new.   This is the ideal size for a gigging keyboard IMO considering the stages I play on can sometimes be tight.   And while its heavy, it has a very convenient lip along the bottom in the back that makes it very easy to pick up.

Assuming its a keeper, it will replace an ancient Studiologic SL-990 controller I have owned since the mid-90s :)  It finally gave up the ghost, but it's kind of nice that the Forte has just about the same TP-40 action.

• Like 1

The Kawai ES920 abruptly quit working so back it went. All for the best- what I really needed was a decent powered speaker so now I have a QSC CP12 for running mono, I really like its full smooth tone and how compact it is for a 12"- it fits snugly into a Yamaha DXR10 padded case I just happened to have lying around.

For my harmonica sideline (which as of late is a money-maker as my bar band keys career has tanked) I've ordered a Bulletini harmonica mic. Notable blues harp players seem to prefer them to the standard Green Bullet. They sound very good with chromatic, too, and work great with my Lone Wolf Blues pedal, at least if Youtube is to be believed.