Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - BRUNO MARS OLD SCHOOL

I never heard Bruno Mars and was surprised how old school he was. He was like a cross between Elvis, Michael Jackson and James Brown. Are young people digging this? I get the impression that if it was anyone else, it wouldn't be as popular. He's so dynamic on so many levels, he makes people who wouldn't go old school to like him.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's interesting. I didn't hear anything old school about his music at all. I am also anti-"pop" music and since most of the focus of the Superbowl halftime shows (as well as most of New Years Eve's shows) focus on mainstream artists, I rarely pay attention, but the few minutes I listened to him I did not think he reflected anything old school. But that is just me ....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I'm a big fan,..I think he is a monster talent... and yes he absolutely brings some old school James Brown into his style just to name one. He's a great mix of pop/funk/r&b/soul... he wears his influences on his sleeve... and the fact that he is a main stream artist is very encouraging for the state of modern pop.

I loved that half time show.. bringing out the chili peppers was a total win to me. My 16 year old daughter hated that part.. I guess she's needs some schooling! lol

Jay

www.soundcloud.com/high-diving-act

www.yournewneighbors.com

www.mclovinmusic.com

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Krome EX, Novation Summit, Roland RD88 & Edge, Spectrasonic Keyscape

Definately some old school in his act.. his moves are James Brown-ish, many of his tunes have a motown feel to it.. the thing I like about him is the variety of the sound/feel of his tunes.. I like everything I've heard from him (although I will admit I haven't heard a lot), but this old guy really likes what I've seen of him.. very refreshing!!

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

What do young people think? ... He is a much better drummer than The Bieb.

I swore off halftime shows long ago, then watched Madonna stumble around and told myself "See. This is why you don't watch the Super Bowl Halftime Show". Caught the beginning of his show and did not change the channel. That is saying a lot for me. For some reason I thought he was some wimpy ballad singer. Guess there is more to him than those soft pop singles revealed.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I caught his act earlier this year at a corporate show. A complete surprise! He and his amazing band mostly did quotes and covers of "classic" music -- didn't really get into his pop hits.

Someone is doing dynamite arranging for him and his band. At the show I saw, the segues were all over the map: from Motown to Zep, from Alice Cooper to the Beatles.

The dude is a major talent, and very refreshing in an otherwise banal landscape. If the kids don't dig him, maybe they ought to listen a bit closer :)

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I like Bruno Mars, and I caught the James Brown influence even before he did the "spider legs" dance. Definitely one of the best contemporary pop stars around. I'd listen to him over the Beyonce, Kanye, Katy Perry crowd any day.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

I agree on Bruno Mars. He's one of my favorites of the younger generation.

BTW... His cultural / musical background is a pretty varied mix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruno_Mars

Perhaps that's why he explores so many genres.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Seems like Bruno Mars and Justin Timberlake are currently trying to see who can look the most retro in their live shows. Although Bruno Mars has had some R&B flavored singles, his biggest hits are solidly in the current pop vein (Just The Way You Are, Grenade, The Lazy Song).

That said I'm a big fan of Bruno Mars in whatever style he chooses. A true talent. Liked the halftime show too.

I'm a fan. I saw him and his band in a small setting once, and they are all really talented musicians. It's fun music, and that's all it's supposed to be. Plus, he can sing, and play instruments as well.

Hey. Every9ne has their likes and dislikes. It's cool.

I'm also a RHCP fan, but felt it was totally out of place last night.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

It's a sad fact of modern life that any pop star who can actually sing without autotune and play an instrument is "old school".

I think his songs are shallow and banal, and that is exactly what his giant audience wants. He uses enough shocking imagery or language to draw in the movie-watching videogame-playing kids, like "F**k You," and "I'd catch a grenade for you, throw my hand on a blade for you..."

He is a master of the craft of hit-writing, and he's written a bunch of hits for other singers too.

As a piano teacher, I am happy to see hits appearing that not only have chord changes and melodies, but good old-fashioned song structures like "verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus". Imagine that: a hit song with a bridge! Old school! ;)

And then there's "When I Was Your Man". That's a solid song. A #1 hit with solo piano and singing! Real straight-forward changes, and a great one to teach the piano students.

I liked the show very much. "not old school?" I mean he did the Animal House Otis Day and the Knights - "a little bit louder now."

Um, that was Day wannabe old school Isley Brothers.

Bruno Mars? Outstanding show, but dumbing-down gets to me very early.

Here for the gear.

It seems like every time we talk about a modern act here, we've mostly got two crowds:

1. What is this garbage? Get off my lawn.

2. Ok, you can cut my grass. At least you do it better than whatever other artist I hate without bothering to check out their background, influences AND ESPECIALLY not the actual music.

Also, "Fuck You/Forget You" is by CeeLo Green.

I thought he killed the haltime show.

(Sorry if my generalizations hurt any feelings.)

I really liked the show but I'll admit one reason is comparison to all the other modern crap out there. True enough Bruno's hits don't even come close to JB's classics like I Feel Good or Sex Machine but of course that is purely a matter of opinion. Still, Bruno's a killer performer and what about those visuals? That hit me right between the eyes. Gold lame jackets and black tux pants? That's as old school Motown as you can get.

I think it's great that the kids are digging him. Sure it's just one style out of all the other rap and EDM stuff out there but at least he's in the mix. That means there's hope...

I think what this shows and the Grammy's too for that matter is us old farts can't make too many assumptions about what the kids like and don't like. Take my former assistant. He started here as an intern at age 17 and now he's 31. Ten years ago it was rap, rap and more rap with him and now he'll sit at his desk and listen to much more melodic stuff including some classics I turned him onto like Santana and JB.

We're not listening to current pop radio or streaming stuff 24/7 so we have no idea how things change in a matter of a few months much less several years. We, and by that I mean me too, continually fall into the trap that we forced ourselves to listen to the Grammy's or other big live show say four or five years ago, hated it and we now think that's the way things are. Not so at all, pop music is very fluid just like it was for us.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

I liked Bruno Mars show a lot. He's got a real cool style. I think it relates back to early R&B, early sixties style. Good pop songs with good hooks. Only fault I could see is that he doesn't have the type of voice that really projects well live.

I agree with OB Dave, I have been listening to some of that new Daft Punk record and liking some of it. One positive that came from watching the Grammy's.

Nord electro 3 73, Casio Px-5s, Yamaha SY-85, A&H ZED FX mixer, 2 QSC K8.2s

I enjoyed Bruno Mars' portion of the show. Classy, and loads of talent.

RHCP needs to put on some clothes. And perhaps hire a fashion consultant.

What an odd pairing (Bruno Mars/RHCP).

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Bruno Mars is Pop marketing genius at work. Same goes for Justin "Suit and Tie" Timberlake.

The machine behind these "artists" is repackaging the sounds and images of the 60s through 80s and selling it to a younger audience.

Of course, some older folks will appreciate the sh8t to some degree because the influences sound real familiar...nostalgia.

Whenever I hear these "kids", I wish that I'd discovered, signed and managed them first. :D

Most recently, I'm lamenting the fact that I had nothing to do with that "Happy" tune Pharrell is riding all the way to the bank. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Yeah, the kid's got some talent.

[sorry about the poor quality video, I couldn't find the official version on Hulu.]

[video:youtube]

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I liked the show very much. "not old school?" I mean he did the Animal House Otis Day and the Knights - "a little bit louder now."

Um, that was Day wannabe old school Isley Brothers.

Bruno Mars? Outstanding show, but dumbing-down gets to me very early.

Sorry, I can sadly say; haven't listened to enough Isley Brothers. Feel free to link an example, I'd like to hear it. That being said, more people would probably think of my reference, which I think is fine since all players borrow from what came before them.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Archived