Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - BRUNO MARS OLD SCHOOL

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, "Fuck You/Forget You" is by CeeLo Green.
And Bruno Mars.

According to Allmusic.com, more authors than I'd have guessed:

"Forget You"

by Cee Lo Green

Composed by Ari Levine / Brody Brown / Bruno Mars / Cee Lo Green / Philip Lawrence

Ah, I thought you and FM meant that it was his tune. Indeed, he did have a pretty good writing career before breaking through with his own stuff. Mea culpa.

all players borrow from what came before them.

That's what I was trying to say. Anyway, here ya go.

[video:youtube]

thanks. I probably heard the original a thousand times on radio and thought it was Otis Day (dah!) I hope the Isley's got a nice royalty. Also, those suits tell me where Bruno got idea for the show.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

The machine behind these "artists" is repackaging the sounds and images of the 60s through 80s and selling it to a younger audience

This - you saw it at the grammys as well. Starting to feel like the marketing machines are throwing spaghetti on the wall to see what sticks!

I am also in the camp that believes Bruno Mars to be an incredible talent.

I liked Bruno. And just in case you did not notice, there was a B3 on stage with some incredible Hammond parts throughout.

The peppers ruined the show (IMHO).

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

He includes a lot of old school style and dance but that's where it ends, his music is pure modern pop crapola IMO, James Brown is rolling over in his grave.

Because "Living In America" wasn't pure pop crapola...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ldrDGMVKQQs/ULwimCip6XI/AAAAAAAABUs/a_UBKxr0ydY/s1600/James-Brown-Living-In-America-201605.jpg

Yeah I saw the Hammond, it sounded good in the studio so he brought his props.

Or he played it live... Again, I know the show designer for the halftime show. Many of the instruments and vocals are performed live over safety tracks.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Seems like Bruno Mars and Justin Timberlake are currently trying to see who can look the most retro in their live shows.

Almost anyone over the age of 30 cannot identify with the "pop" songs of todays pop artists. Bruno takes the best of new school and old school and blends it together and it appeals to many more millions (the Super Bowl audience) than some auto tune band that nobody has ever heard of but yet is getting big airtime on MTV. The Super Bowl was another big launching pad for Bruno...he did great. His career will now explode.

In case you did not see or you want to review it here is the whole half-time show (at least until someone takes it down):

[video:youtube]c57ZKYoOyUw

I could not get past the bullshit euphoria of the show. It is utterly implausible that a Superbowl audience would care about anything other than the game. What collected group of people the size of a stadium crowd could have such divergent enthusiasm for a football game and Bruno Mars/Chili Peppers or whatever act? Yet you repeatedly hear the crowd roar equivalent to their team scoring a touchdown. You see all these idiots jumping around like all that matters is whatever act is on stage.

Who cares? I do not believe anyone does. It is all an illusion. They stage everything to look like it is a great event. Before they go live they tell the audience to perform for the cameras like informing the crowd when a music video is being filmed. I hate shots of the audience included in live music videos as though a viewer needs to see other people enjoying the music to believe it is enjoyable. If it were real it might be different but it is all bullshit.

I had never heard the music of Bruno Mars. So I made a point to listen to see what this was all about. The impression I felt was BFD! I might like him and his performance ability in a different context but this presentation was a sham and a lot of people were duped while existing fans were happy to play along hoping other people joined their club.

I could not get past the bullshit euphoria of the show.

We must've been watching a different show. I loved every minute of it and thought it was a welcome reprieve from the depressing performance of the Broncos. But, as we like to say 'round here, YMMV.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Couple things I noticed about the Halftime show.

Bruno Mars starting on drums - showing that he did have musical ability

I commented to my wife that so many of the bands with a named front man and uniforms, the front man is dressed differently to make people know he is the "Star". Bruno dressed in the same band uniform as the rest of the band, conveying that he was a part of the whole, not just the front man.

His dance moves were a definite homage to James Brown.

I heard him vocally pay homage to the Chili Peppers right before they came on. Shows respect.

Overall, I thought it was one of the better shows in a while.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I never heard Bruno Mars and was surprised how old school he was. He was like a cross between Elvis, Michael Jackson and James Brown.

Yep. And it all started with Elvis:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT-3Dl2PMLM

Best,

Geoff

Thanks for referencing my post.

I commented to my wife that so many of the bands with a named front man and uniforms, the front man is dressed differently to make people know he is the "Star". Bruno dressed in the same band uniform as the rest of the band, conveying that he was a part of the whole, not just the front man.
I really liked the fact that he dressed the same. Very rare these days with the narcissism of FB.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

It seems like every time we talk about a modern act here, we've mostly got two crowds:

1. What is this garbage? Get off my lawn.

2. Ok, you can cut my grass. At least you do it better than whatever other artist I hate without bothering to check out their background, influences AND ESPECIALLY not the actual music.

Also, "Fuck You/Forget You" is by CeeLo Green.

I thought he killed the haltime show.

(Sorry if my generalizations hurt any feelings.)

I thought Bruno Mars wrote the whole song, but a little digging around suggests that BM wrote the hook and Cee-Lo wrote the rest of the lyrics. That actually reinforces my opinion of the banality of BM's songs. Turns out Cee-lo wrote the substance and BM wrote the "F$$k Y$$" :) Because there are some good lines in that song! "I guess he's an Xbox, and I'm more an Atari..."

...and I don't really fit either of your categories. I think pop music has ALWAYS been banal and superficial. ;)

Speaking of Cee-lo, "Perfect Imperfections" is still one of my favorite albums.

He includes a lot of old school style and dance but that's where it ends, his music is pure modern pop crapola IMO, James Brown is rolling over in his grave.

Because "Living In America" wasn't pure pop crapola...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ldrDGMVKQQs/ULwimCip6XI/AAAAAAAABUs/a_UBKxr0ydY/s1600/James-Brown-Living-In-America-201605.jpg

Right. Selective amnesia is a mf'er. I felt bad for James when the Pop machine did that to him. :sick::laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

My favorite bit of Bruno Mars:

[video:youtube]

The drums and the bass are right, which is way more than I can say for the other attempts at doing this sort of thing (-cough-DaftPunk-cough-). It's a combination of the groove, the overall sound (that bass sound cleans the floor with anything else in pop music that purports to be a bass) and the arrangement. Video is cool too, don't mess with starbursts!

In current pop music I'm down with Adele, Bruno Mars, and John Legend. My wife digs Fun, the guy can definitely sing although I'm not sold on their style (they'd make a killer Queen cover band though). Anyways, I think there's cool music to be had in all genres, these are just my favorites out of what usually gets played on pop radio.

My music http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/Pk12

My Soundware (Kurzweil PC3)http://pksoundware.blogspot.com/

My Kurzweil PC3 Tutorials http://www.youtube.com/user/poserp.

You guys are projecting way too much James Brown into Peter Gene Hernandez ("Bruno Mars") from Honolulu. Yes, he does the James Brown walk for a moment in his live act but his music and style comes from pop and Motown not funk ... Mars voice is similar to Michael Jackson.

His two biggest hits: "Just The Way You Are" sounds like Michael Jackson. And, "Locked Out Of Heaven" sounds just like Sting and The Police. He even did it in concert on occasion with Sting.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

And, "Locked Out Of Heaven" sounds just like Sting and The Police. He even does it in concert on occasion with Sting!

It took me a long time to recognize it as Bruno's song. Eerily familiar on several levels. Usually, I'd have to wait til the chorus to realise it wasn't a Police song I couldn't put a name to.

Archived