Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland V-Combo VR-09

Thanks for tweaks suggestions Craig & brenner. Most helpful. I shall be using the transistor organs so will try them. :-)

Can I take a factory setting, make those tweaks, and then save it as a registration or do they have to be done each time?

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Thanks for tweaks suggestions Craig & brenner. Most helpful. I shall be using the transistor organs so will try them. :-)

Can I take a factory setting, make those tweaks, and then save it as a registration or do they have to be done each time?

Yes that's what the registrations are for, saving your variations of the factory sounds..

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Follow-up: I used suggestions from you and Brenner13 and it sounds great! Very close to the Vox Continental shown in the video. I also found an old video on YouTube of The Animals playing House of the Rising Sun, and the sound tweaks you suggested beat the one from Roland. Thanks again.

If anyone's interested, I've posted a link in the 'let's hear it' thread in which I'm playing my edited Rhodes sound from the VR09 via an 88 note board.

Sounds great thanks for posting!!!!

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Follow-up: I used suggestions from you and Brenner13 and it sounds great! Very close to the Vox Continental shown in the video. I also found an old video on YouTube of The Animals playing House of the Rising Sun, and the sound tweaks you suggested beat the one from Roland. Thanks again.

I was actually surprised how good I was able to get the combo organ sounding with a bit of work, AND that video was a helpful design point to tweak the transistor organ.. Glad I could help !!

Craig MacDonald

DanL ... in another post someone suggested that the VR-09 uses midii cc to control expression and does not have a built in swell function. That may be it or it could be I just am not used to it yet. I still like the construction of my Yamaha FC7 better so I ordered the inexpensive adapter from Ashby so I can use it instead. Won't know if this will have any effect on the action but at least it will allow me to use the pedal I already own and like. I will post results after I get it. Thanks.
A few people are mentioning issues with the EV5 on this board- is it something specific with 09? I've used an EV5 on my S70XS and now my FA08 and it works well. The pedal doesn't have a lot of throw and you have to be "gentle" with it since a small push can cover a lot of ground controller wise, but the sweep covers the full range of 0-127.
Jumping in here, back to the expression pedal discussion from page 73...I found my poor old forsaken Morley EV5-VC, twiddled the knob a bit and WOW! I now have actual expression control with acceptable swell capabilities on the VR09! Just to be sure I wasn't swayed by nostalgia, tested side by side with M-Audio EX-P and Roland EV-5...the Morely has way more control that utilizes a much longer area of the throw. Both the others have such a tiny adjustment area that actually does anything between open and closed, the EX-P and EV-5 are really only good for switching from very soft to full on 11. The Morely is still not nearly as sweet as my old Hammond M-111, but very useable for gigging.

Still curious: has anyone tried the Ashby adapter for Yamaha's FC-7 or the Moog expression pedal?

Someone also mentioned that expression curve #3 works well with their Roland EV5, but I still don't like that pedal at all. My old Morley EV5 clone works very well and the distortion ramps up like it should with swells. The Yamaha FC7 has a longer throw still, so I'm just going to have to get that Ashby adapter to try it out myself. It is odd that the Roland EV5 works fine with my Fantom X7 but only works basically as an on off switch on the VR09 for me and apparently for several other users.

Has anyone managed to read WAV files off the USB stick and play them back on the VR-09? It's a bunch of phone ring tone samples that I want to use at the beginning of a song. I followed the specifications (16 bit, 44.1kHz) and used short/simple filenames. When I press the "SONG" button, they all show up in the list on the screen, but pushing PLAY pops up a small blank rectangular window. No playback.... any ideas?

Please post if you get this working!!

I had forgotten about this. I am triggering samples with an iPad right now.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Has anyone managed to read WAV files off the USB stick and play them back on the VR-09? It's a bunch of phone ring tone samples that I want to use at the beginning of a song. I followed the specifications (16 bit, 44.1kHz) and used short/simple filenames. When I press the "SONG" button, they all show up in the list on the screen, but pushing PLAY pops up a small blank rectangular window. No playback.... any ideas?

There are some other encoding details in WAV files that maybe the VR-09 doesn't like. Maybe try resaving as MP3s or AIFFs and see if it likes that better....

Any of you use the double leslie MFX? If so, how do you like it? I hear a chorus-like effect when i use it, instead of making the rotary effect stronger... What about you guys? Any way of using it to make the effect more pronounced and not chorus-like?

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

CHIZ, I have no problems playing .wav files on my VR-09. I would suggest that you format the USB stick using the VR-09 format utility and then load your .wave files back on to the USB stick and try again..

I had similar problems trying to load .wav files into my Kronos and it turned out that the USB stick had to be formatted a certain way.. then everything was fine.. since the VR-09 has a USB formatting function, you have to assume that it will work properly..

Start there, if that doesn't work than perhaps try converting them to MP3 or some other format..

Craig MacDonald

+1 I had the same issue, formatting it fixed it. After formatting I had no issues, either with the VR-09 or putting the files on it from either windows or mac

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Any of you use the double leslie MFX? If so, how do you like it? I hear a chorus-like effect when i use it, instead of making the rotary effect stronger... What about you guys? Any way of using it to make the effect more pronounced and not chorus-like?

To B3,

I noticed the same thing, and I really haven't been using it for that same reason. However, I spent some time with it this morning, after reading your post, and I think that how well the twin sim works is dependant on a number of things.. the amount of effect and the relative speeds of the two leslie sims (the main sim and the twin sim).. I also find that the twin sim seems to sound better if you use the main type 1 sim.. it's got more high end, and there seems to be less wub wub in the bottom which seems to muddy up the sound a bit.

So I think that the trick is in the tweaking.. and definitely NOT too much of the effect.. I find it best at about 10:00.

Try listening to JUST the twin rotary sim (turn off the main sim) and see what you're working with.. the closer the main sim is to the twin sim (speed wise) the worse the phasing and other issues are.. AND the more effect you put on the worse it gets as well (which is natural I think). The twin rotary effect is not adjustable unfortunately, otherwise you'd have a lot more control over the final sound.

Play with it and see if it works for you.. Maybe, maybe not.

Craig MacDonald

I'm at work and not at my VR09, but by reading the manual PDF I found this on page 19:

5. Turn the [MFX] knob to adjust the depth of the twin rotary

effect.

As you turn the knob toward the right, the sound of the two rotary

speakers will be mixed, producing a complex modulation effect.

MEMO

The rotational speed of the twin rotary effect will follow the

setting of the ROTARY SOUND [FAST/SLOW] button.

That seems just what you said, Craig. Just a little bit of twin rotary increases the effect. But the MEMO says the speed f the two are the same... So maybe the "chorus/phaser" effect that you hear when you crank the full leslie is to simulate the dstance between the two virtual leslie speakers or a subtle difference of mechanical speed. But I will try it at home, as I still wish a more pronounced wobble, more leslie, if yu understand me...

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

"more wobble" - you mean, more amplitude modulation, like a close-mic'd leslie, e.g. Steppenwolf?

I'm not sure the rotors between the two virtual Leslies are sync'd.

"more wobble" - you mean, more amplitude modulation, like a close-mic'd leslie, e.g. Steppenwolf?

Yeah, Steppenwolf is the perfect example, the classic gregg rollie sound too. As for the rotor speed sync, the manual says they are, as in my link on my last post...But they don't sound as they are...

It depends what we're talking about when we say "the two" virtual rotors.. are you referring to "the Two" as in the two rotors that are in the twin leslie effect (without the normal leslie).. IF you crank the MFX Twin Rotor effect up to the max AND you turn off the normal leslie, I don't exactly hear two leslies, but I hear a bit of chorusing which I think maybe the approximation of two leslies, spinning at the exact same speed. However the speed of these leslies (both slow and fast) are fixed.. so when you turn up the knob the effect deepens but the leslies do not spin faster (either on slow or fast). The leslie effect is merely more pronounced..

So two things..

First, the slow speed of the Twin Rotor effect is VERY fast, for example the low rotor is about 35 wheras the default setting for the standard sim is 8 or 9... !!

Second, and this is interesting... the twin rotary effect changes rather dramatically when you switch the main leslie effect from type 1 to type 2.. I'm not sure why this is, but if you turn off the main leslie effect and crank the Twin Rotary MFX up all the way you will hear a huge difference.. and the Type 1 is much better sounding to my ears.

It's a surprise to me that they actually have two different settings for the Twin Rotary MFX depending on whether the main rotary sim is using type 1 or type 2. Originally, I preferred type 2 leslie sim.. but I think I've changed my mind, and I prefer type 1.. and now that I've spent a bit more time with this twin rotary effect, I can see using it here and there.. it has a bit of a chorus prog rock quality to it.. If you're interested in using the Twin Rotary MFX you really need to give it a listen with the main rotary effect turned off.. I would imagine that the gain settings (which effectively control the balance between the rotor and the horn) also impact the effect as well. So you might want to try tweaking those things as well..

Craig MacDonald

Yeah, Steppenwolf is the perfect example, the classic gregg rollie sound too. As for the rotor speed sync, the manual says they are, as in my link on my last post...But they don't sound as they are...

I think that in this context sync'd means that they both respond simultaneously to the leslie speed control.. That's all.

Craig MacDonald

Following up on using an FC7 expression pedal with Ashby adapter on VR-09:

Good news is it works. So, I can return the EV-5 and get back the $40 I spent. Plus, construction of the FC7 is more durable making it a better choice for gigging, IMO.

Bad news is it did not improve the action. I suspect this is due to how VR-09 handles swell and volume acceleration internally. Slight movement in the pedal creates large changes in volume (up or down) making it hard to adjust to the proper level when playing live with a band. It may just be a matter of getting used to the swell action on the VR-09. My Yamaha MM6 had a whole different feel to it.

I certainly recommend the Ashby adapter if you want to use an FC7 with VR-09 or other non-Yammie keyboards.

That is just plain bizarre...nearly every expression pedal has such a tiny area of control with the VR09 regardless of how long the throw is on any given pedal. I'll count myself fortunate to have kept this old Morely EV5 clone that never really worked very well with anything until I tried it with the VR09. I wonder if it sends a different frequency (Hz?) than the rest? All that technical stuff is way over my head. Just glad it works.

Hello,

when I touch the VR-09 for the first time I was surprised with the definition of stage reverb, then I switch to rock organ full overdrive reacts in very lively way , the synth is silky smooth like 96k, the effects section is amazing a little of chorus on the finger bass, a twin rotary plus chorus on jazz organ majestic, tone on transistor organ, the acoustic drum kits are contemporaneous.

Very nice machine,

Brenner13,

I'm wondering if the reason you don't have the issue using the Morely EV5 clone isn't 'logarithmic (audio) taper' vs 'linear taper'pots.

The taper of a pot (potentiometer) is a description of how the amount of variable resistance relates to the rotation of the pot. This can be represented on a graph with resistance represented on the Y-axis and pot rotation represented on the X-axis. Some of the names of the tapers relate to how this relationship draws out on the graph. A Linear taper is a straight line (linear) at 45 degrees up across graph. Log taper shows a logarithmic graph line. Our ears are sensitive to volume on a logarithmic scale so log taper is also called audio taper.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Thanks, Toano88. Yep right over my head :) Another 20 times reading over your reply and something might click or spark in my cranium. That's certainly some cool knowledge you have grasp of.

The Morley has nylon fishing line attached to some unknown mechanism inside. Also seems to work best on the VR09 with the Morley volume knob at straight up, Noon.

I use an Roland EV-5 with my VR-09. It seems to work fine for my use. I play piano layered with strings and have the expression control set to lower so I can gradually bring the strings in to a song and then back them out toward the end.

Page 46 of the manual shows the 4 different expression curves and how they affect (or don't affect) other parts of the keyboard.

I have my EV-5 set so that at low volume there is still sound coming through. Also my volume out is set at 12 o'clock.

One thing I'm having trouble with is using my midi out. If I connect the midi out to my Audiobox to trigger soft synths in Studio One I get a continuous clock message and my saved registrations are corrupted. The names are still there but the settings are gone. The only way to fix this is a reset because the saved settings are un-editable.

I have a Juno-D I use for midi for now. There is no "clock" setting in the menus that I can find.

Question for Craig and any others that spent lots of time using the 09. Is it possible (in the synth section),to get big combination sounds similar to korg "combis", like from the microstation on up to the kronos, or in roland-speak, the "perfomances" or "studio sets?" Just wondering.

agitato,

The Virtual Analog synth built into the VR-09 is basically a 3 oscillator version of the Jupiter 80 synth (so not quite as powerful) and this is the style of synth built into a number of products like the Jupiter, Gaia and now the VR-09. If you want to hear what that synth is capable of, listen to the demos of the VR-09 on the Roland Blog. It's a pretty capable synth..

NOW, as far as combis go, the VR-09 is able to add to that Jupiter synth tone any of it's other sounds (organ, strings, EP/AP, brass etc etc).. HOWEVER that's basically it.. you can split/layer any two sounds but that's it (from any two engines) and save these as a registration, but the VR-09 is not a workstation (it's not 16 part multi-timbral).. so you can't for example create a combination of 3 splits, each with two layers, but the VR09 is capable of some pretty full rich textures and there are a lot of great tones built into it.

I think that if you want to create these types of combinations and setups etc.. the Roland FA series may be a better choice for you (as far as Roland products go)..

I hope that answers your question.

Craig MacDonald

Is that Morley pedal an expression pedal, or is it a volume pedal that goes in series with the VR-09's output?

Does anybody have specs off-hand for the requirements for an expression pedal that plugs into the VR-09? I know I could measure what I have, but specs would be better. I'm thinking about converting a Hammond spinet expression pedal for use with the VR-09. I like how they feel.

Wes

I just got my VR 09 Saturday. Of all the great in it I am most dissatisfied with the Overdrive. It seems to go from 0-crap in less than a quarter turn. Is there a fix for that?

This thread has gotten so long I can't find anything without spending days.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com