Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland V-Combo VR-09

Apologies for this question - it is bound to have been covered before....but the thread is So very long...... I wish to change the registrations on the VR-09 from my Casio PX-5S. My understanding of midi falls in the non-existent to dim category, but I believe that there are certain numbers which I will need to give the PX-5S.

Also, is there anything I must alter on the vr-09?

Any advice on what to do would be gratefully recieved. Many thanks..

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Hi all. Got a quick question about the Portamento feature of the VR-09. Is there anyway it can be changed on the fly without diving into the menu?
It requires a few MENU, ARROW, ENTER button presses and a spin of the DATA DIAL to modify portamento directly on the board; admittedly a bit clunky but kind of doable with practice. The iPad app does have a dedicated portamento ON/OFF toggle switch and TIME knob, but personally I have yet to get used to poking at a tablet screen to modify synth parameters in a live situation. Perhaps I still need more practice.

Apologies for this question - it is bound to have been covered before....but the thread is So very long...... I wish to change the registrations on the VR-09 from my Casio PX-5S. My understanding of midi falls in the non-existent to dim category, but I believe that there are certain numbers which I will need to give the PX-5S.

Xknuckles, I haven't responded because I don't use another keyboard to change registrations in the VR-09 so I don't exactly know how to do this off hand (or if it's possible). There are others here that are more knowledgable in the midi side of things here.. You might contact Anotherscott, he has a lot of knowledge on the midi side of things.. (he can probably look at the midi implementation and tell you exactly what will or won't work).. I will have a look at this myself IF I get some spare time later this week and if I have any ideas for you I will respond.

Edit: based on a quick look at the midi implementation chart, it seems to me that the VR-09 can transmit program control FROM it's registrations (each registration is able to store an MSB/LSB) but it doesn't look like you can receive registration changes.. MSB/LSB receive seems to apply to the built in tones rather than the registrations.. So unless I'm missing something I don't think that you can select registrations remotely.. hopefully this isn't the case (maybe someone has dug into this further than me).. I've posted this question on the Roland Blog to see what response I get.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Thank you very much for looking into this Craig - really appreciate it. If it turns out - as seems most likely - that I cannot control the VR with the PX, then it would make sense for me to learn how to operate the PX with the VR. However, I do not wish to put you to any more trouble. If you happen to know of somewhere which explains how to do it, I would love to look into it - but no worries if not. I will doubtless come up with a different way of operating.
"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Thank you very much for looking into this Craig - really appreciate it. If it turns out - as seems most likely - that I cannot control the VR with the PX, then it would make sense for me to learn how to operate the PX with the VR. However, I do not wish to put you to any more trouble. If you happen to know of somewhere which explains how to do it, I would love to look into it - but no worries if not. I will doubtless come up with a different way of operating.

I simply so rarely use MIDI in the live shows anymore and my v-combo has nearly exclusively been used for live, I've yet to even attach a MIDI cable. I was hoping to find some time to experiment with it this weekend so I could respond with some help, but as usual, Craig is all over it. :)

After a quick glance at the booklet, I think Craig is right that it may not be possible to change the registrations via MIDI.

According to one of the version 1.01 bug fixes you should be able to change the registrations through midi. Here is what it says:

The sounds of the keyboard performance part can be changed from MIDI IN using the Program Change and the Bank Select.

But I may be interpreting what it says incorrectly. Haven't tried it.

Jags,

I believe this refers to "tones" rather than registrations.. All of the basic built in sounds can be called up using the MSB/LSB, and there is a chart in the midi implementation guide.. HOWEVER, these are not registrations.

Roland has confirmed, via their blog, that you cannot call up registrations via external midi.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

I'm joining your club! Just scored a VR-09 for under 700$ " used in very good condition " from 123 Music through Amazon. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions about it starting next week! Selling the MM6.

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

1st gig with the VR-09

1. Must put velcro on bottom. It is so lite it was moving all over my invisible stand. (I had the arms covered with velcro for my Triton LE)

2. Love the Leslie sim and the joy stick on/off. Much better than D beam

3. Strings came off fairly well, not as good as My Motif but definitely usable.

4. The draw bars seemed to give me better sounds as I worked them. Have had a VK8m for years and this unit seems to better respond to my draw bar changes.

5. OVERALL IMPRESSION?

I will have fun with this board. It has all the functionality I could ask for at this price. It will be a welcome part of my second rig for years I think.

It is really a joy to play and easy to maneuver between settings on stage. 2 thumbs up

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

If I connect an iPad to my VR-09 could I, for example, adjust the depth on the tremolo so it's a little shallower? Then can you save changes you make to settings like the tremolo?

Thanks - Jim

Jim, I'm assuming that you mean the tremolo on the leslie effect...? You can change the fast/slow speeds and the acceleration of both the tweeter and the woofer (horn and bass rotor), however, the depth of the effect (which I think is what you mean be "shallower") really can't be adjusted. However, there are two different leslie sims (3 actually if you count the twin rotary MFX). Each has different tone, you might find one or the other works for you..

You can save these changes to a "registration". Is there a particular sound you are trying to create? Why do you ask this question?

Craig MacDonald

Hi Craig, thanks for answering. Actually, I need help with the Tremolo EP or 60's Tremolo EP. It sounds good when I practice Led Zepp "No Quarter" at home; I could tweak the factory setting good enough, but at practice last night with the full band going - I couldn't get my sound right. I tried the Compression knob, but that didn't get the result I was looking for. The MFX just slows or speeds the effect. So.... Anyway, thanks in advance for your help and advice :)

Jim

In anticipation of getting my VR-09 from Sweetwater before too long (they changed their arrival time from Roland from weeks to days on their web site), is there a recommended iPad model to use with the editor. I don't want the biggest or the best but if I could buy one used at a decent price I wouldn't mind it. I'd rather pay a few extra bucks for one that is easier to work with.

John Cassetty

"there is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact it's all dark"

is there a recommended iPad model to use with the editor. I don't want the biggest or the best but if I could buy one used at a decent price I wouldn't mind it. I'd rather pay a few extra bucks for one that is easier to work with.

It's probably easier to use one of the full size ones rather than one of the Minis, just because everything will be bigger. Other than that, no real difference I'm aware of, for this purpose.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

is there a recommended iPad model to use with the editor. I don't want the biggest or the best but if I could buy one used at a decent price I wouldn't mind it. I'd rather pay a few extra bucks for one that is easier to work with.

It's probably easier to use one of the full size ones rather than one of the Minis, just because everything will be bigger. Other than that, no real difference I'm aware of, for this purpose.

Thanks Scott.

That's probably what I will go for in the used market if possible. For the most part, it will be for my son anyway. All I need it for is to modify the deep edits for any registrations and that will be about it.

John Cassetty

I ordered a brand new Netgear N150 Wireless USB Adapter on eBay yesterday for $10.50 US, with free shipping, so I can get started on some iPad editing.

As far as I can determine from reading this thread, it is the same adapter branded Roland that sells for almost $50.00.

I also have the GKB61..it's so big I kept the foam from the original box to use with it!

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

If any of you can find the Nord GBG2X gig bag (for the Nord G2X), it's the perfect bag for the VR-09, fits it like a glove, and offers all the thick padding and protection that Nord bags are renowned for. It's also perfect for the Axiom 61.

I just ordered the custom made hard case from eBay.

I'll tell you why: last night the drummer was loading my crown amp in the back of my Subaru Forester, and he tossed it in and sent one of my double X stands crashing into the back of the VR-09! No damage, but I've got to have a hard case for the next time this happens; and it will.

Going to take two weeks to be made and shipped to me.

Got the confirmation from Sweetwater that my VR-09 is on the way. This board will sit at home for a while so I can hopefully learn it inside and out, which probably won't happen. :) I will probably use it for when our classic rock band practices or may use it as the main board with my country band. I originally wanted it to use in the rock band as a quick set-up, 1 hour show, 20 minute band change-over lower board to my Hammond XK-1c but I see some other possibilities with it.

I will try to give a short review of what I think after messing around with it for a couple of days.

Wish me luck!

John Cassetty

oddly enough an old case I made years ago for a Kawai K4 from 1x4's and 1/4" lauan plywood fit the VR 09 perfectly with a space for the power supply at one end.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Is anyone else having this problem I used the iPad editor to tweak a synth sound, then I store it to a registration. When I switch to a different registration then go back to that registration, the sound goes back to its original config - in other words, my changes were not saved. Actually I don't even need to go to a different registration. Let's say I just switch to piano or e. piano then switch back to synthchanges gone!

I've been able to store plenty of registrations without any issue, but this was the first time that I actually tried to tweak a synth (cutoff, envelope, etc. params) and save it, but no luck.

What am I doing wrong?

After tweaking the synth patch, you need to save it (or save a copy to a user bank) before saving the registration, I don't have a VR09, but this is typically the way Rolands are set up.