Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland V-Combo VR-09

I see that the amp section in the VR-09 synth editor has a velocity sense knob that can be set to zero (it actually goes grom -63 to +63) and my recollection is that some of the synth programs don't seem to be velocity sensitive.. so I would assume this means you can turn it off..

Maybe somone else can confirm this.. Next time I have the ipad editor connected I will double check this..

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

I see that the amp section in the VR-09 synth editor has a velocity sense knob that can be set to zero (it actually goes grom -63 to +63) and my recollection is that some of the synth programs don't seem to be velocity sensitive.. so I would assume this means you can turn it off..

Maybe somone else can confirm this.. Next time I have the ipad editor connected I will double check this..

Thanks Craig. I would assume that the synth engine in the 09 would be much like the GAIA so I would think that could be turned off.

Thanks for the response and let me know what you find out using the editor.

John Cassetty

"there is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact it's all dark"

IIRC, there is no need to go into the editor as touch sensitivity is programmable at the registration level.

Thanks! That's what I would need it for as I have a few sounds on the GAIA that I have as default (standard saw and square wave) sounds and would like to program them into the VR-09 to use as needed. The GAIA drove me crazy until I turned the touch velocity feature off.

I'm sure there are people that take full advantage of this feature regardless of what synth it pertains to, but that is something I do not want to use. Sorry, old 70's school speaking again!

Thanks for your input.

John Cassetty

Thanks Craig. I would assume that the synth engine in the 09 would be much like the GAIA so I would think that could be turned off.

Thanks for the response and let me know what you find out using the editor.

jcazzy,

I just hooked up the ipad editor and looked at the first synth lead patch.. with the amp velo sens knob at 0 there was no noticeable change in sound relative to velocity (so effectively velocity sensing was off).. at -63 there was no volume and as you increased the volume towards 0 the volume increased but without velocity having any effect, and as you moved the velo sens knob above 0 the velocity had more and more effect on the sound. So it seems to work as follows:

-63 = 0 amp volume

increasing towards 0 = increased amp volume (but velocity has no effect)

0 = no velocity sensing but amp is full volume

increasing towards +63 increases the effect of velocity on the amp

+63 fully velocity sensitive (I expect it goes from 0 to 127 volume)

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Thanks Craig!

I suspect this setting can also be accessed via the display menu on the unit also, correct? I don't have an iPad to use the editor.

John Cassetty

Just joined this forum as I just ordered my VR-09 and it should be here in a couple of days. It was pretty tough reading through this entire thread but I did manage most of it. Trying to gather as much info as possible before the VR-09 gets here. Look forward to reading more here and playing with my new toy!!

Thanks!!

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj484/jmemcse517/newboard.jpg

My VR-09 just arrived about 90 minutes ago. I ran home from work and got it off the front porch and unboxed it - put it on a stand real quick and plugged it in to my powered studio monitors.

Well, my first comment is a bit negative - the keyboard is going to take some getting used to. The closest music store to me is about a 2 hour drive, so I wasn't able to test drive one first. But I think I can adjust.

I bought this because, like many of you, I just can't carry all my gear around like I could when I was younger, so this will be my new working rig primary and sole keyboard.

Anyway, I plugged in and fired it up, ran through a bunch of sounds etc., and concluded that it will work on stage with the little club band I'm in right now.

I know I could spend more and get a better instrument, but I don't want to spend more. I have a day job - the band is just a hobby that doesn't make a whole lot. I have 22 years as a full time musician, and about the last 12 years on and off as a weekend warrior; Just kind of an introduction / FYI I guess :)

One final thought - I really appreciate the service I got ordering this from sweetwater. They gave me a 2 gig USB drive with a bunch of registrations, the 1.2 upgrade, and some other stuff, plus a printed instruction sheet on using it all. Oh, and a little bag of candy...

Can't wait to head back home after work and give this thing a workout!

Thanks guys - Jim

Jim,

Congratulations on getting your new VR-09.. regarding the keyboard, I think you're noticing what most of us have that the keyboard itself is a bit of a compromise, but I can tell you from my perspective it's pretty easy to get used to (although my background is organ, and it's likely a bit more difficult for someone with a piano background).

Remember also that the sounds you're hearing are very tweakable, and you can save custom sounds in 100 different registrations.. You will be able to create your own registrations that are quite a bit better than the stock sounds, and if I'm not mistaken some of those Sweetwater registrations are awesome.. They really take advantage of splits and layers.. I think it includes one that layers two pianos together for a fatter Acoustic Piano sound. Sweetwater are pretty slick.

Enjoy your new board (all 12 pounds of it)..!!

Craig MacDonald

Hey, I just came across the perfect VR-09 gig.. and I'm posting this because I often get questioned, by guys like Hammonddave, as to "why would I compromise sound/feel by using my VR-09 when I have much better quality keyboards (like my Mojo and my Kronos"..

I was just asked to sit in with an R+B soul funk band (with horn section) at the Beaches Jazz Festival in Toronto this summer. In this case we will be performing outside, somewhere along Queen street, which is closed off for a couple kms, and I likely won't be able to find a parking spot anywhere near where I'm performing. As a result, I will probably have to carry my entire rig for quite a distance. Furthermore I don't think we'll be covered so if it rains we may need to tear down fast!

In this band we're covering some TOP, Stevie Wonder, Chicago, etc.. and I'm only playing one sound at a time.. Maybe a split here and there Ep/Organ, but nothing that is beyond the VR-09's capability. So for this gig, all I'm bringing is the 12 pound VR-09 a 33 pound QSC, and an X-stand and that's it.. One trip, easy to set up or tear down.

This, my friends, is the beauty of the VR-09!

Craig MacDonald

So for this gig, all I'm bringing is the 12 pound VR-09 a 33 pound QSC, and an X-stand and that's it.. One trip, easy to set up or tear down.

Ouch on 33 lbs for the QSC! I'd much rather walk a 19 lb ZXa1. Is this just for your own use as stage monitor?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks Craig!

I suspect this setting can also be accessed via the display menu on the unit also, correct? I don't have an iPad to use the editor.

Jcazzy

No there doesn't seem to be any way to adjust synth velocity sensitivity on the VR-09 itself.. However, as I go through the synth sounds it seems like most are older/traditional synth style (without velocity).. and there are lot's to choose from. If you want to do any serious editing of the synth sounds you have to use the iPad editor. All of the organ parameters are available on the VR-09 itself, but as far as the virtual analog synth goes, only high level editing is possible.. (ADSR cutoff/resonance).

Craig MacDonald

So for this gig, all I'm bringing is the 12 pound VR-09 a 33 pound QSC, and an X-stand and that's it.. One trip, easy to set up or tear down.

Ouch on 33 lbs for the QSC! I'd much rather walk a 19 lb ZXa1. Is this just for your own use as stage monitor?

I don't know for sure but last time I played with these guys (actually an n-3 or 4 version).. I think that only the kick, vocals, and percussion were mic'd.. horns and rhythm section was live.. so I'm assuming that I will need the QSC..

That said, I'll have to ask this question.. maybe I can use a smaller/lighter monitor.. good question! Thanks.

Craig MacDonald

If you extend the lip of a regular dolly with a piece of plywood, you will have no trouble hauling that gear around. Sit the speaker on the lip, slide the other stuff above and/or behind it, and bungee it down.

You might find it easier to use a K&M 18880 than an X-stand, though, as they sit "flat" against the dolly and your gear.

I like these ones with the flat back: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/steel-convertible-hand-truck-0600524p.html#.U3J8IC87hZQ ... got mine for $69 last year.

The big tires make it basically effortless to move gear around, across pavement, gravel, grass, etc. I actually use one of those, plus a tie down, to move unchopped L100s, M100s, and T-series spinets. Even the super-heavy T500s!

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Thanks Craig!

Jcazzy

No there doesn't seem to be any way to adjust synth velocity sensitivity on the VR-09 itself.. However, as I go through the synth sounds it seems like most are older/traditional synth style (without velocity).. and there are lot's to choose from. If you want to do any serious editing of the synth sounds you have to use the iPad editor. All of the organ parameters are available on the VR-09 itself, but as far as the virtual analog synth goes, only high level editing is possible.. (ADSR cutoff/resonance).

Thanks again Craig.

I guess I will find out what I can edit with the menu as I've ordered one from Sweetwater this afternoon. Only problem is they are out of stock at this time and I was wanting to get it to use when I do a show next weekend at a festival. One of those 15 minutes to set up and tear down deals between shows thing. As before, I want to use it more for everything else instead of the organ. I hope I won't be disappointed with it. From everything I've seen it should be good.

John Cassetty

Other new sounds? Not that I am aware of, just the Axial sounds. The Axial sounds are all new synth tones using the Virtual Analog synth, but there are new registrations available from Sweetwater (they come with a VR-09 from Sweetwater) that I think are basically splits/layers and tweaked on board sounds..

When I listened to the demo, I didn't get the impression that there were really any new sounds (ie new synth programs) in the Sweetwater registrations. just new splits and layers, but perhaps there are a couple of new synth tones in there you never know.. or perhaps you're interested in these splits/layers? Either way, I think you can purchase them separately.. from Sweetwater.

Craig MacDonald

Thanks Craig!

Jcazzy

If you go to Menu/Keyboard/Initial Touch - you have values of 1-10 & off. This is programmable per registration. I used this to have sounds that did not respond to velocity, like synthes & string machines, but still have ones that do, like pads, real strings, etc. Of course, velocity will not affect the filter either - that would require "deep" editing with the Ipad app.

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

Thanks Craig!

Jcazzy

If you go to Menu/Keyboard/Initial Touch - you have values of 1-10 & off. This is programmable per registration. I used this to have sounds that did not respond to velocity, like synths & string machines, but still have ones that do, like pads, real strings, etc. Of course, velocity will not affect the filter either - that would require "deep" editing with the Ipad app.

Thanks Dan. Good info that I will need when it arrives. Anxious to see what this puppy is all about. Don't want to buy an iPad if I can avoid it but may get one for my son to use and for me to borrow. Excuses, excuses, excuses. :)

John Cassetty

I just got my VR-09 yesterday. It's a great keyboard but, like it has been mentioned here, is a bit quirky! I'm not sure if this quirk has been mentioned yet.

When setting up a dual or split it chooses the MFX that is connected with the 2nd part rather than the 1st. For example: Say you select the Tremolo EP as part one for the upper split and then choose JP8 Strings1 as part 2 for the lower split. The VR will select the Slicer MFX (which is connected to the JP8 Strings1) and apply it to the upper Tremolo EP part (which suppose to have the Tremolo MFX). Not a good thing!! You have to manually select the Tremolo MFX so that you will get Tremolo effect on the Tremolo EP.

This should be an easy software fix. Has any one mentioned this quirk? I find it to be a major problem when setting up splits on the fly. Part one needs it's MFX to stay with it because that is the effect that will be applied.

Is there a way to notify Roland and ask them to include this fix in their next update?

Thanks!

Jags,

I think that if you read through this thread (yes I know it's very long) you will find reference to this quirk.. when using a layer or split, the MFX section defaults to the upper part only.. (if I recally correctly reverb affects both parts but MFX is only on the upper).. you can request this be addressed by Roland by providing feedback to the retailer you purchased it from AND by reporting this on the Roland Blog.. There are a number of issues noted here, that are still outstanding.. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this to be addressed.. I'm not sure we're going to see another update.. just my opinion.

Craig MacDonald

Craig, Thanks for getting back to me.

I can work with the MFX only effecting the upper part. The problem is the VR assigns the MFX associated to the bottom part to the upper part when you do the split. So as in my example if you chose a tremolo EP as the upper part you need the Tremolo MFX to be active for that upper part. But when you select your bottom part the MFX associated with that bottom part becomes the active effect instead and will effect the upper part but not the lower part. A bit confusing I know but try it out and you'll see what I mean.

I did find the Roland VR-09 blog and I did post this issue there.

Thanks!

I also left one out... that, because the VK8 drawbars can send CC, it is a more suitable controller for things like VB3 if and when desired

Another thread here jogged my memory about this other post of mine... that appears to be mistaken. Figured I'd update it for anyone who may find this thread in the future. It seems the VK8 recognizes CC, but does not transmit it. The VK7 transmitted it as well.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I was playing a VR today at the music store, and it never occurred to me as to whether the ASD modify-bars could be applied to the pianos and Electric pianos?

I found the Wurlitzer 60's EP model to decay a bit too long...could I use these bars to shorten the decay?

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!

The ADR faders work on just a bout every sound. The filter and res does not work on AC Piano, but this is so one can use the filter to sweep in a nice pad or strings that is layered with the Piano. I'm not sure of all of the sounds that respond to which parameters...must have been much easier to program set defaults than offer on/off options.

I have increased the decay on a couple of my piano registrations with pleasing results for more fluid passages. It doesn't take much, though...By memory I think they are only 2 notches higher than default. One should be able do shorten the decay of the Wurly by the same means.

Hi all. Got a quick question about the Portamento feature of the VR-09. Is there anyway it can be changed on the fly without diving into the menu?

John Cassetty

The ADR faders work on just a bout every sound

Thanks brenner13 - I did get a chance to go back tonight to try the faders out this evening, and for sure they worked on the Wurlitzer EP patch. Only a very little adjustment did a lot to the sound, and with a bit of compression, Tone, and Drive, I got a pretty happening Wurli sound!

I tell you, I have been courting this keyboard for almost a year now, and all these little tricks are adding up to a very positive feeling... I did pick up a Korg Kross last month, and now would like to add a Hammond emulator to my gear. I have been using VB3 with some success, although I found it unbearably noisy last time I used it in a playing situation. I think something was up with my laptop screen that generated noise!

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!