Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland V-Combo VR-09

WesG,

That may be true.. the fact is that this is the first time I've ever played with a horn band, 5 horns all of which went through the PA/Monitors, and not had my own dedicated amp/monitor to hear myself through. So who knows how this was EQ'd and the horns were so loud that I suspect a compressor was kicking in at times which probably pushed my VR-09 further down in the mix.

I'm really not conerned a out this, myself, I just added me comments because I had something similar to ToB3's experience. I'm going to borrow a QSC K8 for the actual show and FOH can take the feed brom my K8, and that way I'll have control over my own sound, at least to some extent.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Apologies for this question, but most technical things are a mystery to me. I have an old power adapter from a Roland FP-2 which I used to own. Would it be safe to use it for the vr-09? They seem to have the same model number PSB-1U and

It also says:100-240v. 50-60 HZ. 0.5-0.25A. Output: 9v.___2A

Also, just generally, are power supplies mostly interchangeable? if they are not, which are the numbers which have to be the same?

Is it possible to damage a keyboard by plugging it into the wrong power supply? Thank you.

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Generally most power supplies are not interchangeable. But with Roland, they use the same power supply for many boards. The PSB-1U & PSB-120 are interchangeable with many Roland & Boss products. My Sonic Cell,VR-09, GR-55 guitar synth and my previous Juno D all used the same power supply, I swapped them out often. Whatever one I pulled from the gig bag first got used. I don't have access to my FA-08 and BK-7m at this moment so I don't remember what power supply they come with.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

YES using the wrong power supply can damage an instrument.. so be careful. Also a quick suggestion.. I have a dozen different wall wart power adapters, and I carry 3-4 of them on every gig, so the first thing I do when I get a new keyboard (or effect) with a power adapter is to label them with masking tape and a permanent marker.. so it's easy to pull one out of my accessory bag and I know what it's for.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

As long as the output and polarity are the same and the jack fits you're fine. Polarity being backwards will fry your board. It's indicated on the adapter which is "+" and which is "-". The polarity and power requirement are printed on the keyboard where the adapter jack plugs in.

If that doesn't make any sense to you then you're better off ordering a replacement via eBay.

As long as the output and polarity are the same and the jack fits you're fine.

To clarify: the following needs to match -

1. physical plug

2. voltage level and type (AC or DC)

3. plug polarity (some have positive inner pin, some negative)

4. current capability - adapter needs to be able to deliver at least as much current as the gear needs. Ability to deliver more is fine.

Moe

---

Agreed, I would not use a power adapter from another manufacturer unless, I carefully checked the voltage, current and polarity and whether it was AC or DC (I have a couple AC adapters). My comment was about Roland PSB-1U and PSB-120 adapters being interchangeable with many Roland and Boss products.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

I have heard that a lot of Hammond and Casio adapters are interchangeable.

Certainly, my PX-5S will play from my SK1 power lead, and I saw a post somewhere that recommended a Casio replacement lead for an SK1, as it was around £50 cheaper than the Hammond one.

The poster gave the Casio serial number and everything.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Thanks so much guys! :) I have checked everything and it all seems the same except...the old adapter is AC. I cannot see any mention on the vr-09 adapter of whether it is AC or DC. Does anybody happen to know which it is? Many thanks.

Never mind - I found it (in the manual of all places!) It is AC. Just tried the adapter and it seems to work perfectly, which is excellent news as I seem to recall that it was excessively & scarily expensive..... :)

Thanks again for all of the tips and explanations. I will copy them so I can refer to them in future. :)

This is true. I'm using a Casio adapter live on my Hammond, and the Hammond adapter in the studio on my Casio.

The first thing is, I'm glad that someone of your experience has confirmed something that I said, when even I find it a little bit weird!

The second (and more important thing) is why don't you use the Hammond adapter with the Hammond, and the Casio adapter with the Casio? :laugh:

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Hello guys,

Looking forward a board, trying to decide if VR-09 suits for me, may be you can help

I'm mostly a home player and looking for board(s) for home playing and recording, may be occasional jams with friends. I'm mostly playing guitar, have also studied piano in childhood.

Unfortunately have no chance to try VR-09 and most of other choices, as it's available here only if order from abroad.

What is wanted:

1. Organs, for sure. Hammonds, with good Leslie and overdrive (the last one in VR-09 demos doesn't impress me, or may be I've checked wrong demos?). Vox/Farfisa and Church also much interesting.

2. EP/Clavinet/Charpichord. AP is not needed (already have one).

3. Analog mooggy-like leads, noises, etc. This probably look weak point of VR-09 especial realtime controls (Or am I mistaken?).

Strings/brass are not interesting for me for now.

I have an option to buy VR-09, but without checking it in advance.

Another option is Korg KingKorg + VK8M (I have good offer for used one). I really like a lot analog modelling and control/operation of this board.

I like when instrument is an instrument and not a computer.

Also it have EP/clavs. As I understand, church/transistor organs in that case will be only sampled.

. Also from these boards KingKorg is only one I can (and have) tried in store.

How much VK8M lacks comparing to VR-09?

Third option I thinking about is Numa Organ 2 which according to sound examples is a best possible choice for various organ sounds + MIDI sound module for piano/synth such as Waldorf Blofeld and something for piano (or may be Numa Organ 2, and next year analog/VA synth).

What do you think guys, does VR-09 work with my tasks well comparing to other two options? Is there any other advantages?

Please advice or direct to points I missed

Thank you!

How much VK8M lacks comparing to VR-09?

If you're talking specifically as a Hammond organ emulation, I'd say it's the other way around. I would take the VK-8M over the VR-09. I think it sounds better (mostly probably due to its various amp simulations, especially since you rightly identify overdrive as one of the VR's weaknesses), and it's also more authentic in operation (full size drawbars, dedicated controls for CV/percussion, etc.). The VR does have the new double rotary effect, but overall I"d still have to give the edge to the VK. Also, I believe the percussion goes through the CV on the VR but not the VK, another way the VK would be more authentic... this is something that bugs some people about the VR, but other people don't care about it. Also, if you ever want to leap to the next level by putting something like a Ventilator on it, it will be easier to put it on the VK than the VR, since, as a dedicated organ module, you won't have to worry about switching the Vent in or out for organ vs. non-organ use. Of course, the VK lacks tons of non-Hammond functions that the VR has, including the transistor organs, rompler sounds, and VA synth.

As a VA synth, I would take the King Korg over the VR. Although it's not as knobby as I'd like, it's knobbier than the VR. The variety of different emulated filters and the tube overdrive give it capabilities and richness that I think will be beyond what you can get out of the VR, I think you'll get more of the "moogier" sound that you're looking for (one of its filters actually emulates a moog filter). The VR has a nice iPad app, but there is a nice 3rd-party app for the KK called Patch Morpher that gives you the same kind of complete control plus a bunch of other cool features.

And I guess it shouldn't be surprising that $2000+ worth of dedicated organ+synth gear is, for those functions, probably going to beat out a sub-$1k all-in-one.

Numa Organ will be generally better than the VK-8M... Waldorf Blofeld is a cool synth, and can also be controlled by the same Patch Morpher program I mentioned for the King Korg... though I don't think you'll get as "moogy" a sound out of it. Maybe a Moog Slim Phatty instead?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Not a 2K, actually there is 600$ difference. With delivery, KK, VR and Numa O2 costs very closer (between 900$ and 1000$), and I have a local offer for used VK8M for 600$.

Thinking about Moog Slim Phatty as postponed addition to Numa gives lots of other options in this price range (and increases setup cost, yes, closer to 2k), such as DS Mopho for it. So really don't know.

Not a 2K, actually there is 600$ difference. With delivery, KK, VR and Numa O2 costs very closer (between 900$ and 1000$), and I have a local offer for used VK8M for 600$.

Used prices can't be compared with new. My point was that, it should not be surprising that a King Korg + VK-8M -- for synth and organ -- will outperform a VR09 that was designed to sell for less than half the price of that combination.

Is the Numa Organ 2 actually shipping? I'm surprised it is going for that much less than its predecessor.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I can't imagine that the Numa II will be selling for that low price.. if it does I will definately buy one.. it sounds awsome.. I owned an original Numa but took it back because it was buggy.. and Studiologic support was non-existent (in my experience). However, I might just give the Numa II a chance at that price (which I can't believe is accurate).. however, the Numa doesn't really have all the other sounds so you would have to pair it with some other workstation..

VR-09 and the VK8M are both roland engines so they will sound very similar, and the differences will be quite subtle.. (and as Anotherscott pointed out mainly in the overdrive with the VK8m having better OD). On the other hand the VR-09 leslie sim is a bit better than the VK8m (in my opinion) and it has two different sims (type 1/2) as well as a twin rotary option (which I don't particularly like but..).. so from my perspective it's a toss up between the VK8m and the VR-09 but the VR-09 has a keyboard a VA synth and all these other sounds and effects...!!

I think that if you are interested in taking stuff out to jam or perform, you will prefer to have it all wrapped up in one keyboard (like the VR-09) rather than dragging two boards and or a board and a module or two boards..

The other deciding factor, is the number of sounds you want to create at once.. the VR-09 is limited to two sounds at once.. whereas these entry level workstations like th FA/KK/XF's are capable of more splits and layers.. but none of them have drawbars (although the FA has a clone engine that could be accessed via Ocean Beach Drawbars)..

IF you see yourself requiring more than two sounds at once.. you might be better off with the VK8m and a workstation, although I'm not sure if the KK is necessarily the best choice.. I might consider the XF or FA synths.. I'm sure there are lot's of opinions regarding which of these are best.

The VR-09 is a great low cost all-in-one, and at $900 and 12 pounds it's awesome to take to jams or small gigs.. on the other hand it has some limitations as far as splits/layers goes and while the drawbar organ sounds great it's not the most authentic sounding clone out there, but neither is the VK8m!!

Craig MacDonald

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a VR-09 and returned it. It has nice features, not the least of which it only weighs 12 pounds, but IMHO the clone organ does not sound as good as my VK-7, and my band mates were the ones that convinced me of that. The other sounds, EP, strings, etc. were better than the VK-7, but I use it for the organ.

It sounded thinner in general but the simulated leslie was also way off. I know I could have tweaked it but I was less confident that I could fix the overall sound quality.

Tim,

It's too bad you didn't try tweaking it.. like a number of clones (sk1 for example) the default organ sound isn't that great.. you have to dig in and create your own. The leslie is much improved on the VR-09 and there are three of them.. Type 1, Type 2 and Twin rotary (which simulates two leslies).

The "Bay Area B3" registration is great and it's been the basis of most of my organ programs, and it sounds great! The VR-09, is basically the same engine as the VK7 with a few minor differences.. VR-09 has a much improved leslie sim, while the VK7 has arguably better overdrive. The VR-09 has better effects section and the ability to layer sounds, and the other sounds are far better.

I expect that you've tweaked your VK7 to your liking over the years, again it's too bad that you didn't take the time to try doing the same with the VR-09, I'm pretty sure you would have liked it.

Good luck!

Craig MacDonald

Tim,

It's too bad you didn't try tweaking it.. like a number of clones (sk1 for example) the default organ sound isn't that great.. you have to dig in and create your own. The leslie is much improved on the VR-09 and there are three of them.. Type 1, Type 2 and Twin rotary (which simulates two leslies).

The "Bay Area B3" registration is great and it's been the basis of most of my organ programs, and it sounds great! The VR-09, is basically the same engine as the VK7 with a few minor differences.. VR-09 has a much improved leslie sim, while the VK7 has arguably better overdrive. The VR-09 has better effects section and the ability to layer sounds, and the other sounds are far better.

I expect that you've tweaked your VK7 to your liking over the years, again it's too bad that you didn't take the time to try doing the same with the VR-09, I'm pretty sure you would have liked it.

Good luck!

Craig, I really appreciate how much knowledge you have of this board. I think you've inspired me to pull the trigger on one soon.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Tim,

Good luck!

Craig, I really appreciate how much knowledge you have of this board. I think you've inspired me to pull the trigger on one soon.

Happy to help.. and for the most part I hear lot's of great comments from satisfied VR-09 owners in various threads here and elsewhere!! There's the odd guy that it's not right for, and I've heard of a couple being returned, but I think that's to be expected..

Craig MacDonald

Big update announced for the VR09 for Aug 8/14! New EPs and more...

Very interested to read what our experienced users think of this. I have been following the VR for quite a while now. Looking for something to push me over the edge...

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!

The problem with the VR-09's acceptance is that it's not ideal for any one thing. It's a jack of all trades, master of none. Fact of the matter is, it's pretty good at all of them. But folks -- especially folks online -- like to concentrate on negatives (non-best-of-field) and do not like to concentrate what IS good.

What's good about the VR-09?

- Playable action (there are worse out there!!!!)

- Good pianos

- Good organs

- Very good organ action (high trigger point is a way bigger deal than waterfall keytops)

- Good Leslie

- Good brass

- Good epianos

- Good strings

- Good choirs

- Good percussion sounds

- Great user interface setting up for splits and duals

- Really great user interface for editing ADSR parameters on the fly

- Dedicated draw-sliders

- Cool effects

The synth sounds are not as good as a MOXF. The organs are not as good as an XK3c. The pianos are not as good as a P155. The Leslie is not as good as a Burn or Vent.

But the synth sounds are better than the XK3c, the performance user interface is better than the MOXF, the organs decimate the organs in the P155, and it costs a thousand bucks.

It's a performance keyboard, not a studio queen. Nobody in the bar is going to leap off their stool to deride the piano samples' looping artifacts.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I would be very interested in knowing more about this update as well.. Where did you hear about it..?? Any more info would be much appreciated..!!

Craig MacDonald

The M-audio pedal works out of the box, but it doesn't have anywhere near the "throw" of a real organ pedal. It is my understanding that the FC7 can be made to work with an adapter, but I have never tried this pedal.

Wes

Happy to help.. and for the most part I hear lot's of great comments from satisfied VR-09 owners in various threads here and elsewhere!! There's the odd guy that it's not right for, and I've heard of a couple being returned, but I think that's to be expected..

Traded mine in, really missed it (as a second board, for 'on the fly' gigs etc) and ended up buying one second hand last week (half price, barely used). It's a great keyboard for the price.

Nord Electro 4D, Roland VR09, Roland RD-300SX

On Aug 6, Roland added the Japanese description of firmware 1.03 to the Englih page, and then quickly removed it. Hopefully this means the update is right around the corner!

According to Google translate, the Japanese text said,

I was 10 tone added to the [E.PIANO].

I was 15 tone added to the "synthesizer section".

※ For more information, please refer to the "VR-09 data list".

FWIW, the feature I'm DYING FOR is expression pedal assignable to only one voice.

Oh! Something to mention about the VR-09 I discovered last night while playing "Child In Time" and dialing in my organ and Leslie sound against my L111/760 rig. The percussion implementation behaves differently than the percussion implementation in the AO-42 amplifier and I suspect the AO-28. It's very "binary". If you don't let go of the keys long enough, the percussion doesn't re-trigger at all, whereas on an organ that has the capacitor charge/discharge circuit for percussion triggering, it will partially trigger. The work-around is to pull out a bit of either the 2nd or 3rd harmonic drawbar, depending which percussion tone you are using.