Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland V-Combo VR-09

CTRLR EDITOR hotfix v1.12.19 : 'GM2 volumes'

this little hotfix is only relevant to those (if there are any ...  ) that use 'GM2-engine' mode in panel SOUND-GM2:
Fixes erratic behaviour of the 'channel volume' settings.

n.b. the release also adds 'hidden' pitch bend range of +/-15 halftones in kbd config (VR factory is 12 halftones )

direct download : https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/1_CJVGF0tACCxr1m0Y5yw7YLWEg1bvMF0 

v-combo website :  https://v-combo.webspace.rocks/editor-vr09-730

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

CTRLR EDITOR v1.12.20: bugfix & feature release

This bugfix/feature release fixes important bugs in V-SYNTH/VSSD and STAGE-RHYTHM and adds some new features:

• V-SYNTH/VSSD: added 'Cutoff Aftertouch Sens' and 'Level Aftertouch Sens' in FILTER/AMP section and 'Mouse-button/Wheel scrolling' buttons to PCM-Wave select box. Fixed fixed disfunctional pcm wave select box in V-SYNTH
  • STAGE 'Rhythm' : added PAN, fixed disfunctional drumkit selector box, consolidated drumkit list
  • ATELIER DRUM (kit): corrected false drum-kit list
  • minor bugfixes

Handling improvement for those who use V-SYNTH/VSSD 'pcm-waves' : the new little 'mouse scroll' buttons at right hand of each pcm-wave selector box allow to scroll very fast through the pcm-waves by mouse-click or mouse-wheel

direct download : https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/1_CJVGF0tACCxr1m0Y5yw7YLWEg1bvMF0 
v-combo website :  https://v-combo.webspace.rocks/editor-vr09-730

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, JoJoB3 said:

Aside from the volume pedal issue I have to admit this terrible feeling VR-09 gets called upon to get the job done. It has the immediate control and 95% of the sounds at 12lbs.

I take my VR-09 to play out a lot. That's in spite of its shortcomings and even though I have lots of other options.

I even most often select it instead of my Nord Electro or Yamaha YC61 if I'm taking only 1 keyboard and organ is important.

Big benefits to me.

The organ is better than my Nord Electro or my Yamaha YC61 (in 1 of my bands, the songs are 70% organ).

- Well maybe that's mostly about the superior Leslie emulation.

Simple hands-on immediacy.

Music rest (a bit difficult to get?) to hold iPad, no music stand needed.

It's only 12 pounds.

Compromises that don't really bother me:

Passable piano for an occasional song - would be better if it wasn't for the key action.

Usable electric pianos.

Usable synth section, even if a little limited. Very limited compared to my FA-06 (also a winner because it's also only 12 pounds).

Things I dislike but put up with:

Key action below par. Clearly a budget choice.

Registration system sucks, only 16 programs quickly accessible.

A CK61 might be a better choice on a budget these days, if you don't mind the lesser organ.

• Like 3

Mike Kent

- Chairman of MIDI 2.0 Working Group

- MIDI Association Executive Board

- Co-Author of USB Device Class Definition for MIDI Devices 1.0 and 2.0

I would agree on the CK being a modern day VR replacement, but it’s still around twice as much as you can get a VR for around these parts. I really liked my VR and using the iPad editor really opened up the synths.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

6 hours ago, SynMike said:

Music rest (a bit difficult to get?) to hold iPad, no music stand needed.

I never used to care about music stands, but now I find them really useful for tablets. Since "piano-oriented" boards are more likely to have them, I now sometimes reverse my "top" and "bottom" boards so I can use the stand.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

On 11/19/2023 at 2:38 AM, stoken6 said:

What is the volume pedal issue?

Cheers, Mike.

Use Baggypants link he posted but essentially this one should/could have been avoided with the VRs (but...this is new Roland).
I don't know if it's laziness, mismanagement. idiocy or all three but having users mod expression pedals for such basic functionality is utterly ridiculous.
At least mods alleviate which is cool....but, yeah not a good look.