Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chester Thompson with ToP showing how it's done...

49 minutes ago, Jim Alfredson said:

Stumbled across this video of ToP on Don Kirschner's Rock Concert. I won't link to the exact time because it's worth watching the whole thing, but Chester takes a nasty organ solo (while kicking bass) that's so funky, it's illegal in 48 states.

They've put out a lot of great tunes, but I've always found their signature machine-gun straight 16th bass notes the least Funky thing imaginable.

• Like 1

If you only watched the first solo, you missed it.

How could anyone tell who in the audience was dancing and who was having a seizure. The only person in the place who could dance with any rhythm was the multi-colored sax guy.

The dancing machine & sax guy monster, Lenny Picket I believe is the current MD on SNL.

Yeah, CT is the master of funk solos & pocket on the organ board & pedals!!!!!! Jim, you're pretty funky your damm self BTW!!!!!! ;) 

You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

That was great, I like this singer a bit better than the one on the Midnight Special live version that I had seen (though he was good too).

Always loved this bit

You went an' found you a guru
In an effort to find you a new you

Damn the band sounds so good here. The pocket somehow seems depeer. I love how high the organ is in the mix. An essential part of the sound IMO. I've played TOP tunes when the keys aren't loud enough (and frankly I'm not funky enough) and it can fall flat. This groove is undeniable.

• Like 1

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Didn't know one of the trumpets would switch to bone sometimes. I thought it was always 2 trumpets 2 tenors 1 bari and that was the TOP sound (except in the studio where they'd overdub). Shows what I really know about this great band.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

CT is a monster, but gawd damn that band is dangerous.  I went to hear them in lowly Elmira NY back in 2008, they played a dining room on the 2nd floor at the Holiday Inn.  This was not a town where ToP got radio airplay, but you would never guess it by the very receptive crowd that came to hear them.  One of the best concerts I have heard in my life!!!

Soooo much to learn from these guys...  world class live horn arrangements, the tightest drum/bass section in the business, funky comping on guitar and organ.  Oh and a sax playing dancing fool for visual impact.  It ain't always about solos.

Thanks Jim, nice find. I saw the guys in 1976 at My Father's Place. They blew the place up of course. Tightest band ever, what a sound up close. One of the horn players used to be able to hold a note as long as he wanted using central breathing?? IIRC? Might have been LP, but can't recall. CT is just The master of funk period. 😁

• Like 1

Amazing. I wish I could do THAT!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

2 hours ago, jpgxk3 said:

One of the horn players used to be able to hold a note as long as he wanted using central breathing??

Circular breathing.  I was a teenager playing euphonium in a concert band that once shared the stage with Australian jazz trumpet/trombone great James Morrison, and backstage he showed us how to do circular breathing with a pipe in a tub of water.  Iirc you breath in one corner of your mouth while blowing the horn as usual, though it was 40 years ago so i could be misremembering that.  I’m sure anyone interested can find it on Youtube.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

15 hours ago, rickzjamm said:

The dancing machine & sax guy monster, Lenny Picket I believe is the current MD on SNL.

Yeah, CT is the master of funk solos & pocket on the organ board & pedals!!!!!! Jim, you're pretty funky your damm self BTW!!!!!! ;) 

Shit, that's Pickett in ToP? Dude might have the most impressive altissimo in the world. He's been my favourite part of SNL for at least 15 years.

Players!... every one of them! And only as good as their drummer btw (starts there at the base). 
Look at how 2022 on has borrowed the fashion btw. Interesting. Wish I owned and could rock some of that.

I'm sure most here already know but there's even heavier Chester out there (like 'insane, wait that's Chester T?' kind of playing)

I've said it before, I'll say it again: if every '90s jam band had been required to thoroughly check out TOP before playing their first gig, we as a society could have skipped over a whole lot of unnecessary silliness.

Also, Chester is a more patient and forward-thinking player than I will ever be.

Always funny to see folks just sitting there totally unfazed by the Funk in the room.

Granted, not everyone could or should get and dance as evidenced but a head nod or shoulder shinmy or something. Nope. Just sitting there tethered to the seat.

Guess only a few skunks running through and spraying the crowd would've made everyone move. 🤣

Yet, the audience totally dug the performance based on their applause and ovation.

Great share there. Thanks.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

5 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Always funny to see folks just sitting there totally unfazed by the Funk in the room.

Back story: Around 73-74, a tpt friend and i, went to see TOP in Boston at Pall's Mall, small room. We didn't have tickets but hoped to get standing room tics. As we were in line, discussing our options, a couple in front of us turned and said they had a pair of tics and we could have them for cost. We had front row seats, TOP was literally, 500-1000 ft away, with no risers. All original member, etc. (There's a live album from that period that many of you are probably aware of. They recorded it at a radio station in NY, I think.)

Anyway, I too had the same response about the crowd.  I, could not sit still in my seat for all the up tempo stuff and I remember looking around and being amazed how stoic these people were being, as the most funky music was being played live. I'm sure there were others into it, I mean it's a music town.

Now I'm kind of a old man snob in that I wouldn't go see them live again, so to preserve the memory I have of that night but, I've watched tons of newer versions of TOP and they still got it. Sadly, I didn't dig some of the vocalists they got after original left. I loved that the organ was jacked up and part of the sound. Lastly, I have an original vinyl copy of CT's Powerhouse, which I cherish even though I don't have a turntable.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

1 hour ago, Reezekeys said:

At Paul's Mall, a "small room" (capacity 245 according to this site), front row seats were 500 - 1000 feet from the stage? Typo?

Wow, not a typo, just not good at measurements.  Thank you for site info. Needless to say, I was close and very happy.  I could think of it as a big wedding venue and I was the first table from dance floor.

I saw Bill Evans at Jazz Workshop, among others. (small story <sorry> While waiting in line for Bill Evans, I watched Eddie Gomez pull up in Volvo station wagon, double park and carry his bass in.)

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I played a few nights at the Jazz Workshop - 1976, I believe. I was in a band on a double-bill with Dave Liebman's Lookout Farm. It was a bit of a mismatch if you ask me! Richie Beirach played my Rhodes (and wasn't that happy about it, lol!). I lived in Boston for my first year of college - 1973/74 - but don't remember going to either Paul's Mall or the Jazz Workshop during that time (being a broke college student had a lot to do with that!). Around 1978 I played at a place called Sandy's Jazz Revival, outside Boston with a great bari sax player, Bruce Johnstone.

• Like 2

TofP was the first live rock concert I attended. Saw them in the 70's original singer at a hall of a fairground, general seating and was maybe 3 people from the stage. Also on the bill Badfinger and Lee Michaels (headliner). I have remembered TofP's set but only one song of LM and only recall seeing but not any songs from BF. I was with a few friends including my sister. She commented how good the singer could dance. The first guy in the audience shown dancing has been at several concerts I attended. Perhaps only generically. One of those who is almost as much a performer in the band as the band. Somehow TofP came up with such exciting  arrangements. They really should be bigger in history than they are. Not as many hits but bigger than Chicago IMO as a horn band.

Blame it on a multitude of factors such as me being a geek/nerd, coming from (and still preferring) classical music concerts, Christian upbringing with a strict no-pleasures dogma but you won’t see me dancing even at the funkiest Funk 😀 I hate dancing and find it embarrassing 🤣 But I understand people who dance on Funk, it really makes you wanna move. I really love it how these grooves can have such an effect. All that being said, after three funk tracks I get bored and need different music.