Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chester Thompson with ToP showing how it's done...

2 hours ago, CyberGene said:

...after three funk tracks I get bored and need different music...

Our tastes on harmony align pretty well and I suspect you ran across some of the more boring Funk tracks like the one OP posted.

Funk as a genre can be pretty diverse, ranging from James Brown to Parliament to Chaka Khan to Janet Jackson to Red Hot Chili Peppers. And they sound vastly different in 1)melody, 2) harmony and 3) timbre/instrumentation.

The only common thread among all types of Funk music is 4) rhythm. Funk is one of the most interesting innovations in rhythm in the 20th century. Popular music would have been so boring if we didn't have the influences from Funk.

This tune shows the more melodic and harmonically rich side of Funk, I would be surprised if you find it equally boring. 👇

3 hours ago, AROIOS said:

Our tastes on harmony align pretty well and I suspect you ran across some of the more boring Funk tracks like the one OP posted.

Yeah, I should’ve clarified that I meant the raw type of earlier funk which is all about some cool groove and often just one chord, or maybe two or three, throughout the entire track.

3 hours ago, AROIOS said:

Funk as a genre can be pretty diverse, ranging from James Brown to Parliament to Chaka Khan to Janet Jackson to Red Hot Chili Peppers. And they sound vastly different in 1)melody, 2) harmony and 3) timbre/instrumentation.

As you have noticed we have in common the love for more varied/interesting/advanced harmonic progressions, so indeed I really dig funk-inspired genres that can broadly be described as funky jazz (or jazzy funk, for that matter) and anything in between and around, including acid jazz (Jamiroquai, Incognito, etc.). 

That linked Chaka Khan song is lovely, far from boring, thank you for the link. 

• Love 1

On 2/18/2024 at 1:48 AM, Floyd Tatum said:
On 2/15/2024 at 6:53 AM, jazzpiano88 said:

Love this era of the band!

image.gif.848d64cebfcbd87f2769709971f14565.gif

Expand  

Who's the dancing tenor player - is that the TOP guy, Lenny Pickett?

Yes, that's him!  The tune was appropriately, "You Ought to be Havin' Fun".

• Like 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3