Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Grammys 2024

1 hour ago, Docbop said:

new category Best Alternative Jazz Album.   

What is this category? Is there a "Best Mainstream Jazz Album" category? 

I guess the distinction between mainstream and alternative Jazz is just as subjective as between mainstream and alternative Metal, or sculpture/dance/architecture/...

Cheers, Mike.

Stevie Wonder didn’t actual piano, right? His arms were moving as if they were.  However, his arms moved the same way when the piano wasn’t sounding and the camera never caught his hands on the keyboard. Why?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Docbop said:

Of all the winners I saw listed the one that made me the happiest to see was..... Meshell Ndegeocello the first winner for the new category Best Alternative Jazz Album.     

With Australia’s own Abraham Rounds on drums winning a Grammy!

I toured with a major artist 30 years ago. On bass was his father, amazing bassist Victor Rounds. On that tour he showed us a VHS tape of his 5 year old boy tearing it up on the drums. I knew right then that kid was going places, and now here he is winning a Grammy!  I’ve had the pleasure of playing a trio gig with him a couple of times. Congratulations Abe, you deserve it. 

• Like 4

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

8 hours ago, Docbop said:

Of all the winners I saw listed the one that made me the happiest to see was..... Meshell Ndegeocello the first winner for the new category Best Alternative Jazz Album.

Admittedly, I haven't watched the Grammys in a couple decades.  However, I'm glad to see that my homie won an award.  Sometimes, her brother is my guitarist.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Tracy's been getting ALOT of mailbox money lately with the success of his cover. Good for her!

Billboard estimates Luke Combs' cover of the song resulted in around $500,000 in global publishing royalties between March 17 and June 8, 2023 alone. The bulk of the cash comprises on-demand streaming payments. 

• Like 2

It was a super cool moment when (unannounced I believe) the lights went up on Tracy Chapman. I was blown away, and to his credit Luke Combs didn't try to upstage her. 

I was not surprised that Flowers won a bunch of stuff - including best song. It was everywhere last year. With the exception of its implied message, it's a rather generic pop song that could have been released anytime during the last 40 years. So it got played a lot. Of course it's the implied message that made it so big. 

Nigeria's Burna Boy played it safe, and dialed it back a little too much for my liking. This guy is introducing fresh new rhythms to (now 50 year old) hip-hop, but you could hardly hear that in his performance.

Stevie Wonder sounded like he was phoning it in until the song modulated to F#/Gb (was that ever decided?) :laugh: and he started ripping off high C#s in full voice! Another blown away moment for me. 

Not televised was Killer MIke accepting his three Grammys, then arrested, cuffed, and led out of the venue by LAPD. It can't be the Grammys without some drama. 

• Like 1

DVR’d it and skipped through a lot of unwanted noise as usual. Until Joni Mitchell. Sat through every minute of that. What a legend. Her life story is pretty cool too.

• Like 3
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

A HUGE CONGRATS to LA's own, Billy Childs, for yet another Grammy for Best Jazz Instrumental Record. Second time he's won that award.  Also congrats to former LA resident, bassist and old friend Scott Colley, who played on the record.

:cool::clap::thu:❣️

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Dave Ferris said:

A HUGE CONGRATS to LA's own, Billy Childs, for yet another Grammy for Best Jazz Instrumental Record. Second time he's won that award.  Also congrats to former LA resident, bassist and old friend Scott Colley, who played on the record.

:cool::clap::thu:❣️

One of the few Grammy moments worth watching. I tuned out in the late 80's/early 90's...

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

The good and the bad

Good:   Miley Cyrus acceptance speech - - rattles off thanks to a lot of folks, and then “I don’t think I forgot anyone, but I may have forgotten my underwear!"

Bad:  Joni Mitchell - -  OK, I love Joni Mitchell, Both Sides Now is a magical treasure that will live on for generations.  But she’s way way way past performance age.  Would have been better to have others perform it, and then maybe give her a lifetime award or something.  I don’t know who talked her into it, but c’mon.  Other folks have demonstrated they can still perform at a high level in very advanced age, i.e. Tony Bennett.  But here, not so much.  Maybe Joni can still operate behind the scenes, write, record, inspire, maybe do some spoken word at the nursing home.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

6 hours ago, Outkaster said:

Actually, it had better moments than the last couple years. 

My usual position for awards shows is sprawled out with a Chromebook in my lap :laugh:  but last night I was looking up a lot more than usual. The only real duds for me were Travis Scott (and I guess I'm just too old), and U2 - shot in Vegas with a bunch of drones buzzing the band. 

Joni's rendition had a quality that can't be measured in what anyone might think is the "correct" or "appropriate" manner. It's not for us to judge this icon of American music, sorry but that's my opinion. BTW what makes you think she was "prodded"?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bill H. said:

My usual position for awards shows is sprawled out with a Chromebook in my lap :laugh:  but last night I was looking up a lot more than usual. The only real duds for me were Travis Scott (and I guess I'm just too old), and U2 - shot in Vegas with a bunch of drones buzzing the band. 

Generally agree.  Travis Scott, before last year had no idea who he is, but he’s apparently huge, massive stadium tours.  But it didn’t translate to this venue, and the excessive autotune was offputting.  In general, similar comments for the other “production” pieces.  So much better when it’s focused on the singers, songs, musicians.

Yeah, the U2 drones, jeez - scale those back, so much for dynamics?

A good one for me was Annie Lennix’s gut wrenching cover of Nothing Compares To You.

• Like 1

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

3 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

Joni's rendition had a quality that can't be measured in what anyone might think is the "correct" or "appropriate" manner. It's not for us to judge this icon of American music, sorry but that's my opinion. BTW what makes you think she was "prodded"?

I can’t believe she decided OK, I want to perform on the Grammys!  Maybe I missed something (I miss a lot of things), but has she been touring?  Getting wheeled into venues?  Get out the IV drip and oxygen mask?  Have the defibrillator standing by?

As for the rendition, I realize that’s a ‘newer’ version, key dropped a few steps, slowed way down, more orchestrated.  That’s OK…. I prefer the original XXX more, that’s the timeless transcendental version for me.

And actually, Joni is Canadian 😁👍..  but in my opinion, she’s a global icon!

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

24 minutes ago, TommyRude said:

Right you are and amen to her global icon-ism! 🙂 

For me it's the juxtaposition of hearing the lyrics sung with her current voice vs the original. I got the same impression from her version with Vince Mendoza's orchestral arrangement. IMO we are priviledged to hear her whenever and in whatever condition she chooses - and I refuse to believe she was manipulated into performing last night. Perhaps she's enjoying this late-in-life boost to her visibility?

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Joni's resurgence has been in no small way encouraged and promoted by Brandi Carlisle. 

The few performances she has done prior to this were around Brandi gigs and at her prodding over time with Joni. I think this was only her third (?) such appearance.....one was at the Hollywood Bowl, one was at a festival last fall, and then this.

Having heard the other two on YouTube, she has gotten much better in terms of the strength of her voice. Amazing that she's still with us, and wonderful that she's making these appearances. A national treasure for both the US and Canada!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, TommyRude said:
2 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

Canada is part of the North American Continent.   So it's as 'American' as the United States of America. 

• Like 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

@jazzpiano88   beat me to it after I took forever writing the post as I read online.

Joni has dual citizenship US/Canada and two residences, Southern California and British Columbia.

America stretches from the top edges of Alaska and Greenland all the way to the lowest tips of Chile and Argentina.

Joni Mitchell is as much part of American music (as in USA) as Graham Nash (also dual citizenship) who is British. Both have resided in the USA and have contributed to the greatest of American music.

• Like 2

Skipping most of it with the DVR right now.  Just stopped for Stevie Wonder's performance.  Couple more hours to get through.

At least Metallica won a Grammy for best metal performance this year unlike 1989!

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

7 hours ago, TommyRude said:

The good and the bad

Good:   Miley Cyrus acceptance speech - - rattles off thanks to a lot of folks, and then “I don’t think I forgot anyone, but I may have forgotten my underwear!"

Bad:  Joni Mitchell - -  OK, I love Joni Mitchell, Both Sides Now is a magical treasure that will live on for generations.  But she’s way way way past performance age.  Would have been better to have others perform it, and then maybe give her a lifetime award or something.  I don’t know who talked her into it, but c’mon.  Other folks have demonstrated they can still perform at a high level in very advanced age, i.e. Tony Bennett.  But here, not so much.  Maybe Joni can still operate behind the scenes, write, record, inspire, maybe do some spoken word at the nursing home.

She also had a change of heart: in the early 2000s she said of never appearing at the Grammys "I hope it all goes down the crapper"

EDIT: I also learned that she had polio as a child, and has now had to learn to walk 3 times in her life. As a toddler, after polio, after the aneurysm.

• Like 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin