Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Gimme Some Lovin" -- Lachy Doley Hammond SK2 Solo (with Leslie)

Jeez. Reading some reviews here I was imagining this would be terrible. The clone sounds fine, the singing is fine/par for the course.
Basically the entertainment biz as usual here (fun in a club).

I pref to follow players who play the entire organ (handling the pedals, bass role) but not understanding the overt dislike here really.
Perhaps the X stand really gets to folks.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, JoJoB3 said:

Jeez. Reading some reviews here I was imagining this would be terrible. The clone sounds fine, the singing is fine/par for the course.
Basically the entertainment biz as usual here (fun in a club).

I pref to follow players who play the entire organ (handling the pedals, bass role) but not understanding the overt dislike here really.
Perhaps the X stand really gets to folks.

Part of it is expectation maybe. I personally think this clip is worse than it being a thread might suggest, but perhaps better than the slams. 

However, being in that middle area of not-awesome vocals and a shall we say polarizing organ/rhythm section performance, is itself a commentary. 

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

On 9/13/2023 at 4:19 PM, Dr Nursers said:

One of Lachy's originals from latest album, just for the hell of it:

This is good, again vocals not my cup of tea. I believe it was posted in another thread (can't remember the context). 

I hear him channeling Jeff Beck (via Stevie Wonder)  "Cause We've Ended as Lovers" with the similar guitar weep solo and overall ballad type.

• Like 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Maybe I'm just getting more charitable as I age. I liked it, primarily because he was enjoying himself. I like to see players have fun. If they can tear it up all the better. My guess is if you had been in the room, in context of the entire show you'd feel better about it.

Somebody has to take the wheel from us old fucks--I'm fine with it being LD. 

• Like 9
  • Love 2

Love this performance. In fact, I love all of his work. And I bet that he could run circles around me and most readers of this forum. There is room for all styles of Hammond playing… from Joey D to Lachy.  

This cat plays with passion!  Rock on!

• Like 10

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

11 hours ago, ksoper said:

I liked it, primarily because he was enjoying himself. I like to see players have fun. If they can tear it up all the better. 

True that.

At some point we must pass the baton to musicians who actually enjoy playing music instead of p8ssing, grumbling and complaining about it for one reason or several.😎

• Like 3

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I understand that but just because someone post's something doesn't mean we have to like it, just like the Hiromi videos that seem to be posted here every 3 to 4 months.  The thing with forums like this if your a message board junkie your will eventually open  yourself up to some form of conflict. 

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Responses to this thread that I agree with:

At some point we must pass the baton to musicians who actually enjoy playing music instead of p8ssing, grumbling and complaining about it for one reason or several.

I understand that but just because someone post's something doesn't mean we have to like it

the worldwide demand for organ playing with bad vocals would seem to be minimal. 🤔

Darn it!  There goes my retirement gig...........

Responses I disagree with:

none

Sorry I didn't cite all posters, I haven't got the Multi-Quote thing figured out yet.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

It is always interesting to watch these kinds of threads develop. To me it's less about people's relationships with musical artists and more about people's relationship with opinions.

As an East Coaster living on the West Coast, this is a topic that comes up a lot. On the East Coast we are socialized to express an opinion as a way of drawing someone else out. If someone won't answer your opinion with theirs, they are essentially insulting you and letting you know you're not worth engaging with. Those opinions live separate from the person--meaning, you can think the movie sucks without it meaning you think that people who like it also suck. This is a huge part of our cultural understanding on the East Coast--if I say "Mets aren't worth a metro card, let alone that massive payroll," it does not mean I think you're stupid for believing in them. If anything, I'm likely saying it to start the conversation with you and hear why I should believe in those bums. I want you to disagree with me.

On the West Coast, people are socialized to give people "room" for their opinion, and that contradicting it is negating the other person's viewpoint or value. It has a much more personal nature to it; there is a sense that disagreement means rejection of the person's worth. So people show their engagement with you by agreeing with you.

So the thing West Coasters are brought up finding respectful--not engaging with someone else's opinion, except to agree or support it--is the exact thing that signals disrespect to East Coasters, and vice versa. 

I personally do not think anyone who likes that performance is an idiot for thinking that. Taste is so personal and idiosyncratic, you can never tell who will like what. People just like different things. I actually did have the thought, as Ken mentioned, that the clip probably suffers from being highlighted like that. As one of a bunch of tunes in a night, not being youtubed all over the planet, it was probably a fun performance. I have a gazillion musical moments I would be horrified for others to see and dissect! I just personally found that clip not to be in my "yes" column, for all the personal and idiosyncratic reasons that we all like or dislike anything. 

• Like 2

www.joshweinstein.com

19 minutes ago, Threadslayer said:

Sorry I didn't cite all posters, I haven't got the Multi-Quote thing figured out yet.

20 minutes ago, Threadslayer said:

20 minutes ago, Threadslayer said:

Easy peasy. Every time you hit "quote" on a different post, that post is added to the reply box.

• Like 1

www.joshweinstein.com

35 minutes ago, Outkaster said:

I understand that but just because someone post's something doesn't mean we have to like it....

That's right. Everyone is entitled to their opinion too. It's all good as long as the discourse is civil.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

29 minutes ago, MathOfInsects said:

Easy peasy. Every time you hit "quote" on a different post, that post is added to the reply box.

Far too simple. Did I neglect to mention that I have made a lifelong practice of doing things the hard way?

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

1 hour ago, Threadslayer said:

Far too simple. Did I neglect to mention that I have made a lifelong practice of doing things the hard way?

Thanks

Is there any other way???

"This is my rig, and if you don´t like it....well, I have others!"

"Think positive...there's always something to complain about!"

Count me as one who didn't know how to multi-quote in the new format either until now. Thanks MOI :)

My thoughts earlier were about Lachy Doley's interpretation of this song, and not the artist himself - whom I find... well interesting anyway 😀. One of the cool things about hanging out in here is being introduced to new artists. Hell I wouldn't even know about him if it wasn't for this forum.

Usually I just throw out my 2 cents, stand back, and see what everyone else has to say - another cool thing about this forum because it's pretty much the way things go around here. 

3 minutes ago, Bill H. said:

Count me as one who didn't know how to multi-quote in the new format either until now. Thanks MOI :)

Another thing that isn't obvious:

For nested multi-quote, highlight the full text you want with your left mouse button.

A box will pop up with "Quote selection".   Click it.

The multi-level quote will appear in your response area.

ScreenShot2023-09-15at3_12_13PM.thumb.png.33dc4c62f6d0ba49d82028bd18a0454d.png

• Like 3

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

5 hours ago, ProfD said:

True that.

At some point we must pass the baton to musicians who actually enjoy playing music instead of p8ssing, grumbling and complaining about it for one reason or several.😎

I'm fine with that, but I have yet to enjoy hearing this guy play.  He values his "performance"  so much more than the music, it's hard to listen to.  Yeah, he's not much of a singer, but I could easily look past that if he showed some depth and taste, but his playing is shallow and show-off, and his mind is so obviously on selling tickets and merch. It's not for me.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, Bill H. said:

One of the cool things about hanging out in here is being introduced to new artists.

I get that from this forum and The Keyboard Chronicles podcast (run by our own @Dr Nursers and I’ve been lucky enough to be a guest host twice now) which introduced me to Lacey Doley many episodes ago, among many others. I kind of think of it as a substitute for Keyboard Mag, where there would be a page or feature on an artist I had never heard of, or someone I had and couldn’t wait to dig into. The podcast even has its own section of the forum. If you listen to podcasts (or even if you don’t), I think many of you would dig it.

In fact, the latest guest I was lucky enough to co-interview is the keyboard player for a band I first heard about from a thread here on KC, and is now one of my wife’s and my favorite bands. 

As far as LD, I generally dig him. Sometimes I don’t love when he’s basically just doing a guitar thing on keys, but yeah there’s a bit of showmanship there and it gets a crowd going. I’m always checking out his latest videos. Some of them get played by me multiple times. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

16 hours ago, Steve Nathan said:

I'm fine with that, but I have yet to enjoy hearing this guy play.  He values his "performance"  so much more than the music...his playing is shallow and show-off, and his mind is so obviously on selling tickets and merch. It's not for me.

Right. 

In that setting, I don't get the impression LD is playing for those who hold music to a certain standard.

In order to get paid, LD seems to be trying that artist/musician as entertainer lane. 😎

• Like 2

PD

It's worth noting (maybe?) that this seems to be his encore... so he's playing a bit more to the crowd at this point. I thought the performance was fine - I know he's not a great singer, but he puts the song across... for some reason I think the crowd here is judging him to a higher standard than most of our peer gigging musicians who play in clubs. Yes, he does a lot of self promotion, but everyone who is slogging in the clubs and on the road need to. I think this clip is a decent enough performance, and was surprised to check it out after all the posts here. 

That said, in general I do think he's a bit over the top, and enjoy him in small doses. He's got great rock organ technique, gets an incredible rock organ sound when he's playing the real deal, and should not be compared to the world of jazz organists. He's a rock guy for sure. Subtle? Rarely...

• Like 5

10 hours ago, jerrythek said:

It's worth noting (maybe?) that this seems to be his encore... so he's playing a bit more to the crowd at this point.

Indeed - I've only seen him the once but there's definitely more light / shade in his set than you pick up from individual vids :thu:  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jerrythek said:

That said, in general I do think he's a bit over the top, and enjoy him in small doses. He's got great rock organ technique, gets an incredible rock organ sound when he's playing the real deal, and should not be compared to the world of jazz organists. He's a rock guy for sure. Subtle? Rarely...

This thread cracks me up - intolerance of one style and elevation of others described as objective truths.You can tar and feather me later, but I find some virtuoso musicians like Joey D unengaging. It is too many notes for me to process, and after a while, a lot of stuff sounds the same to me. 

I’m grateful for any musician that delights their audience, and what this guy brings is just as legit as whatever pretty face du jour singing bubble gum pop does that millions fawn over. This is the entertainment business, and being entertaining is the point. Musical purity is well down the line in popular priority 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, TJ Cornish said:

This thread cracks me up - intolerance of one style and elevation of others described as objective truths.You can tar and feather me later, but I find some virtuoso musicians like Joey D unengaging. It is too many notes for me to process, and after a while, a lot of stuff sounds the same to me. 

I’m grateful for any musician that delights their audience, and what this guy brings is just as legit as whatever pretty face du jour singing bubble gum pop does that millions fawn over. This is the entertainment business, and being entertaining is the point. Musical purity is well down the line in popular priority 

I’m sorry that my comments came across that way - it was not my intention. I was reacting to a lot of the dialog in the thread. I’m not a jazz dilettante, certainly not consciously.  And I agree with your sentiments. 

As an example: Booker T, Stevie Winwood, Bentmont, Greg Allman etc. All can be subtle. It’s about the player and their musical settings. Lachy chooses another, more flamboyant lane. That was my point. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jerrythek said:

I’m sorry that my comments came across that way - it was not my intention. I was reacting to a lot of the dialog in the thread. I’m not a jazz dilettante, certainly not consciously.  And I agree with your sentiments. 

As an example: Booker T, Stevie Winwood, Bentmont, Greg Allman etc. All can be subtle. It’s about the player and their musical settings. Lachy chooses another, more flamboyant lane. That was my point. 

Jerry, your comment wasn’t the source of my ire; rather I appreciated that you pointed out that you can’t use the same measuring stick for everyone. 

A big idea to me is abundance vs scarcity. Scarcity says there really isn’t enough and I have to compete with you to get enough. Abundance says there is enough for all of us, and I can be genuinely happy for someone when they get an opportunity or honor. 

I believe anyone who elevates keyboard playing in the cultural zeitgeist is good for all of us. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, TJ Cornish said:

Jerry, your comment wasn’t the source of my ire; rather I appreciated that you pointed out that you can’t use the same measuring stick for everyone. 

A big idea to me is abundance vs scarcity. Scarcity says there really isn’t enough and I have to compete with you to get enough. Abundance says there is enough for all of us, and I can be genuinely happy for someone when they get an opportunity or honor. 

I believe anyone who elevates keyboard playing in the cultural zeitgeist is good for all of us. 

Speaking only for myself, there is zero "competition" as a factor in my reaction to LD, or anyone else. I really want to like him each time I come across him, partially because so many people I like and respect like him, and partially because he works in a genre that would make him a prime candidate to steal ideas and techniques from!

But for me, I simply never encounter what he does as anything more than a series of gestures or moves. It never adds up to music for me. It's a bunch of things that are done, instead of a song that is played. It's almost like someone playing a person playing an instrument. He's got scads of talent, I just never experience his clips as musical, only sounds and motions. It's like a guitarist deploying all his music-store riffs. It's the guy who asks if he can play your keyboard "just to try it out," and then launches into what he imagines is an audition for the band. 

In this case, that (what I process as) lazy vocal performance only compounded it. And the rhythm section just never settled in, which certainly didn't help either. But even if it had, I wish he'd just stop "showing" and just play a song already. 

www.joshweinstein.com

21 minutes ago, MathOfInsects said:

Speaking only for myself, there is zero "competition" as a factor in my reaction to LD, or anyone else. I really want to like him each time I come across him, partially because so many people I like and respect like him, and partially because he works in a genre that would make him a prime candidate to steal ideas and techniques from!

But for me, I simply never encounter what he does as anything more than a series of gestures or moves. It never adds up to music for me. It's a bunch of things that are done, instead of a song that is played. It's almost like someone playing a person playing an instrument. He's got scads of talent, I just never experience his clips as musical, only sounds and motions. It's like a guitarist deploying all his music-store riffs. It's the guy who asks if he can play your keyboard "just to try it out," and then launches into what he imagines is an audition for the band. 

In this case, that (what I process as) lazy vocal performance only compounded it. And the rhythm section just never settled in, which certainly didn't help either. But even if it had, I wish he'd just stop "showing" and just play a song already. 

Bingo.

Here for the gear.

13 hours ago, TJ Cornish said:

You can tar and feather me later, but I find some virtuoso musicians like Joey D unengaging. It is too many notes for me to process, and after a while, a lot of stuff sounds the same to me. 

That's a fair point.   As Miles suggested to Mike Stern for the same offense, sometimes Joey should have been sent to 'Notes Anonymous'.

50 minutes ago, MathOfInsects said:

Speaking only for myself, there is zero "competition" as a factor in my reaction to LD, or anyone else.

Same here.   My dislike has nothing to do with competing with scarcity.   What puts me off is that he is obviously focusing on 'showmanship'  when, to me, he doesn't have the chops/talent to back that up.   Usually, to be successful, someone with certain deficiencies will find a niche that emphasizes their strengths and go with them rather than forcing their limitations on the music.  He's probably the perfect guy to go on tour with Roger Waters' band.

A good example of less is more is to take someone like Booker Jones, who doesn't especially excel at singing, and doesn't play anything flashy on organ, but gets it done like nobody else here (doesn't hurt that he's a genius songwriter :)  )

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I'll echo the "tough room" comment.    I just discovered LD yesterday, so not totally sure how I feel about his playing.   I find his whammy clavinet playing very engaging, and he seems to be an excellent rock organist.   I don't really understand the "bad singer" comments.   I read the Wikipedia page about him, and it seems he originally toured with singers, but found that it cost too much money, so started singing himself out of necessity.  I'd wager that he knows he's not a great vocalist (although he's not terrible), and that if and when he starts making more money, he'll likely add a good lead vocalist.  But of course, I don't know what's in his mind.   Time will tell. 

• Like 1

I think he sounds great! What a pity he didn't check in with this forum before this clip was recorded......it might have been a totally different performance. The guy is an ENTERTAINER, in addition to being a pretty danfg good organist (I'd be happy if I could play half that well).....It's a great big world, full of non musicians who still love music and want to be entertained.....we can't all be Joey D.....

• Like 2