Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CK61 and CK88

1 hour ago, CyberGene said:

I’ve owned the reface CP and CS and I loved them but ultimately they were more toys than usable instruments for live playing. With the CK61 I feel the reface vibe (for good) but it’s also a very usable instrument too.

I agree but both are so nice for rehearsals and for writing music. I compose the music for a whole record(20 songs) with the CP and and ipod as a recorder...

• Like 2

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

On 12/27/2023 at 5:49 PM, Redknife said:

ETA: Internal speakers: pretty good! I had low expectations. I’m not sure that I personally would do any gig with internal speakers but the speakers are loud enough for solo practice. For context, I was worried I wouldn’t tolerate the speakers at all but not a problem.

Yes, the internal speakers are absolutely fine.  Not quite as good as the P121/125, as many have pointed out.  But having bought and returned the RD88 because the speakers were absolute garbage, I think the CK speakers are good, and what made the unit perfect for me.  I realize when I use it traveling, that I'm kind of tired of wearing headphones, and I don't like singing with headphones on.

I'm loving the CK88.  Built in bluetooth is also super convenient, especially, again, while traveling.  Ultimately, on the road, the CK becomes a small PA, a 2-way digital audio interface, a little analog mixer with the 2-channel inputs with effects, and a keyboard with really good pianos, EPs, organs, and everything else.  And you can use it for 4-5 hours on rechargeable batteries?  Total bargain, and totally unique.  I even toy with the idea of buying the 61-note (to have along with the 88) just for massive portability and to keep in the living room to play with at a moment's notice.  Dang, I wish they made a 73-note...

• Like 6
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, danskeys said:

I even toy with the idea of buying the 61-note (to have along with the 88) just for massive portability and to keep in the living room to play with at a moment's notice.  Dang, I wish they made a 73-note...

I have the 61 and I’d seriously like to have the 88 as well. That way I could pick the best keyboard for the gig at hand.
Any CP4 owners tried the 88? I’d love to see a comparison.

• Like 1

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, VB3M, B3X, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

2 hours ago, John Tweed said:

I have the 61 and I’d seriously like to have the 88 as well. That way I could pick the best keyboard for the gig at hand.

Yup, I own and play both the CP4 and the CK88, I wouldn‘t want to compare them though, since the CK is definitely another animal. While the CP4 is the elegant and exquisite feeling instrument, whose sounds imo still kick ass after all these years, the CK, while not that good sounding, is much more convenient, lighter & much better UI (another planet really) . I personally found the key / sound connection on the CK a bit disappointing at first, but after some adjusting the depth/offset parameters, compressor and effects  I now feel I can play a lot more expressively. Same goes for the  EP sounds, you really have to dig in and adjust the parameters to get the most out of the sounds, since I feel they don’t react at their full potential right out of the box, due to the GHS keyboard. 

But yeah, a really nice instrument, I‘d love a 73 version… 

• Like 1

Yamaha C3 | CP4 | CK88 | P-121 | Sauter 108 Studio | Schimmel 112 |

I bought the CK 61 in April as a light and relatively inexpensive board to take to jams, backyard parties and as a lightweight top keyboard option. (backup for a Nord Stage 3 Compact).  It’s been perfect for that.  I loved it so much that I picked up a CK 88 in August when they had a $300 off sale. 
   At this stage of my life 70% of my gigs are solo or duo (percussionist) on a Casio PX S-7000 so only around 2 or 3 band shows a month where I need a weighted keyboard that does organs better than the Casio.  I really tired of carrying a 12 year old Nord Stage 2 plus Vent in an anvil case and the CK 88 allowed me to finally sell it and go lighter.  I realized I sacrificed quality of sounds some but honestly the difference when I listen to recordings of performances is minimal out front and live in my mono IEM’s. 
  Should I get a high profile show, the Nord Stage 3 Compact in dual keyboard mode over the CK 88 (triggering the Nord Piano’s, Ep’s) works well.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Manolios said:

But yeah, a really nice instrument, I‘d love a 73 version… 

Agree...  A 73 / 76 key 15-20 lb. CK with decent piano-organ compromise semi-weighted action would hit the sweet spot for me.

• Like 1

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

54 minutes ago, HSS said:

Agree...  A 73 / 76 key 15-20 lb. CK with decent piano-organ compromise semi-weighted action would hit the sweet spot for me.

I think your Kurzweil PC4-7 comes really close to that.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

8 hours ago, John Tweed said:

Totally!  But it feels so odd to have TWO of the same keyboard.  Then again, why not?  I'm seriously considering it.  If the 61 ever goes on sale, like the 88 has been for a while, I may do it.

17 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

True... But the CK's having onboard speakers and battery power is giving me GAS.  But then again, I already have too much redundancy in my gigging boards. 

FWIW...  Do you or anyone have opinions for which B3 emulation is better, the CK's or the PC4's?  

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

16 minutes ago, HSS said:

True... But the CK's having onboard speakers and battery power is giving me GAS.  But then again, I already have too much redundancy in my gigging boards. 

FWIW...  Do you or anyone have opinions for which B3 emulation is better, the CK's or the PC4's?  

Can’t speak for the Kurzweil, but the editing of the organ and Leslie is limited on the CK compared to, say, the YC which allows you to edit individual rotor speeds as well as three rotary simulations and organ modelling (VCM).

It was these limits that tempted me back to the YC, but the CK has many good features that bely its price tag. I’m glad to have owned both so I could make up my own opinion.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

1 hour ago, Paul Woodward said:

Can’t speak for the Kurzweil, but the editing of the organ and Leslie is limited on the CK compared to, say, the YC which allows you to edit individual rotor speeds as well as three rotary simulations and organ modelling (VCM).

It was these limits that tempted me back to the YC, but the CK has many good features that bely its price tag. I’m glad to have owned both so I could make up my own opinion.

Sometimes you just have to go through the process, in order to be truly happy with where you end up.  If you don't do that, you end up questioning if you made the right decision forever!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, danskeys said:

Sometimes you just have to go through the process, in order to be truly happy with where you end up.  If you don't do that, you end up questioning if you made the right decision forever!

Indeed, the CK is a great board, but the YC is better if you really need the higher quality sounds and if cost isn’t an issue. There is barely 1kg between them and the YC is likely more roadworthy. Again though, the CK is probably the best bang for buck stage keyboard out there right now and let’s be honest, Nord are in no rush to put out a bargain version of their boards while Roland have not updated their VR range and a Korg have nothing similar. Leaves Yamaha out there as the choice for this type of board at entry and pro level.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

1 minute ago, Paul Woodward said:

Indeed, the CK is a great board, but the YC is a better option if you really need the better sounds and is cost isn’t an issue. There is barely 1kg between them and the YC is likely more roadworthy. Again though, the CK is probably the best bang for buck stage keyboard out there right now and let’s be honest, Nord are in no rush to put out a bargain version of their boards while Roland have not updated their VR range and a Korg have nothing similar. Leaves Yamaha out there as the choice for this type of board at entry and pro level.

Yes, and also there's nothing out there with the interesting array of bells and whistles including the speakers, Bluetooth, audio interface, etc.  If the YC had that, I might have been tempted.  But the low price of the CK, with all those features, is unparalleled.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, danskeys said:

Yes, and also there's nothing out there with the interesting array of bells and whistles including the speakers, Bluetooth, audio interface, etc.  If the YC had that, I might have been tempted.  But the low price of the CK, with all those features, is unparalleled.

Not sure the Bluetooth or speaker would sell me on it over the YC, but the wave trigger function was handy (do it in Korg Module now). Otherwise, the YC has all the same audio I/O features. Impressive that the CK has all that and master keyboard mode too. The YC could learn a few things from the CK interface (ease of access), but I do prefer rotary dials to sliders for volume, EQ etc.

Just now, Paul Woodward said:

Not sure the Bluetooth or speaker would sell me on it over the YC, but the wave trigger function was handy (do it in Korg Module now). Otherwise, the YC has all the same audio I/O features. Impressive that the CK has all that and master keyboard mode too. The YC could learn a few things from the CK interface (ease of access), but I do prefer rotary dials to sliders for volume, EQ etc.

Understood.  We have very different needs.  Good thing there are so many options!  I was specifically looking for a really lightweight, pro digital piano with solid sounds, good enough keyboard, and with speakers, to be able to throw in the car at a moment's notice without breaking my back and bank account.  I really never dreamed I would get all that and everything else at the current price of the CK88.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, danskeys said:

Understood.  We have very different needs.  Good thing there are so many options!  I was specifically looking for a really lightweight, pro digital piano with solid sounds, good enough keyboard, and with speakers, to be able to throw in the car at a moment's notice without breaking my back and bank account.  I really never dreamed I would get all that and everything else at the current price of the CK88.

As a I may have previously said, I got the YC for less than the price of a CK (both 61 version) which was a steal. At retail price, the CK wins hand down as it’s half the price of the YC.

IMG_0144.jpeg

IMG_0143.jpeg

• Annoyed 1

20 hours ago, HSS said:

19 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

A CK73 with the Kurzweil action would be really nice. Dual-mono option to split organ to a Vent to complete the victory.

Cheers, Mike. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stoken6 said:

A CK73 with the Kurzweil action would be really nice. Dual-mono option to split organ to a Vent to complete the victory.

Cheers, Mike. 

It may be a false hope but I’d love the ability to output separately L/R.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stoken6 said:

Cheers, Mike. 

Not that our opinions here will decide it, but I would prefer a GHS 73-note, like the P121.  That thing is an amazing form factor.  Shaving another few pounds, and that extra octave of length off the CK88, while retaining the GHS, would be awesome.  I sold my P121 and highly regret it.

That said, is piano playing really OK with the Kurzweil action we're talking about?  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, danskeys said:

Not that our opinions here will decide it, but I would prefer a GHS 73-note, like the P121

Hell, do that as well! The P121 was close to being a good controller for a "do-it-all" top board (Montage, YC61, etc.)

Cheers, Mike.

2 hours ago, danskeys said:

Not that our opinions here will decide it, but I would prefer a GHS 73-note, like the P121.  That thing is an amazing form factor.  Shaving another few pounds, and that extra octave of length off the CK88, while retaining the GHS, would be awesome.  I sold my P121 and highly regret it.

That said, is piano playing really OK with the Kurzweil action we're talking about?  

Yeah, PC4-7 action is pretty good for playing piano programs. About CK73/76, I would rather prefer semi weighted action variant, but who knows. GHS? What about the newest GHC (Graded Hammer Compact)? Has anyone tried it in new P145 or P225?

P-515, PC4-7

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who own one, is there any other CK knob you can assign the USB IN volume to besides the mod wheel?  Iphone with VB3m to CK61 with only one cable (midi plus VB3 audio returned over USB) is truly a thing of beauty, but  reassigning the mod wheel to the USB vol in robs me of using the mod wheel for leslie speed.  I just bought the CK61 and haven't dove deep yet so just figured i'd ask.  

17 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

For those of you who own one, is there any other CK knob you can assign the USB IN volume to besides the mod wheel?  Iphone with VB3m to CK61 with only one cable (midi plus VB3 audio returned over USB) is truly a thing of beauty, but  reassigning the mod wheel to the USB vol in robs me of using the mod wheel for leslie speed.  I just bought the CK61 and haven't dove deep yet so just figured i'd ask.  

You can also use a foot pedal. See p.31 of the manual.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

19 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

You can also use a foot pedal. See p.31 of the manual.

I did see that, but that would require an expression pedal to change volume. Was hoping for something more compact/lightweight for this setup, i.e. a slider on the CK. yes i know i can reassign some stuff in VB3m to get the job done,  but I'd like to keep the VB3 settings as I have them if possible.

Hello, first post here, great info here!

I'm considering a Yamaha CK61, or the Korg / Vox Continental (61). Mainly for the Rhodes & Wurli sounds.

Anybody happen to have played or heard both? I thought to have understood the EPs of the Vox Continental are pretty good.
Wondering if the CK61 comes close to these?

Additional thing is that the Vox Continental with its metal case seems to feel a bit more like an 'real' instrument,
while the CK61, while gorgeous looking, may still say: hey, I'm plastic. I do realize the CK61 has more possibilities though.

Thanks! 

IF all you'll be doing is playing wurly and rhodes patches, this isn't a close question, the Vox sounds better and also feels much more like a real instrument. If versatility is a factor, then it might become a harder choice.

• Like 2

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

For Rhodes, I prefer the Vox, but the CK isn't bad, once you save a tweaked version with modified touch sensitivity depth/offset parameters (though it's still more limited in variations). For Wurli, again I'd prefer the Vox.

Adan's post just popped up... yeah, I pretty much agree with him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CNPCNP said:

I'm considering a Yamaha CK61, or the Korg / Vox Continental (61). Mainly for the Rhodes & Wurli sounds.

Anybody happen to have played or heard both? I thought to have understood the EPs of the Vox Continental are pretty good.
Wondering if the CK61 comes close to these?

Additional thing is that the Vox Continental with its metal case seems to feel a bit more like an 'real' instrument,
while the CK61, while gorgeous looking, may still say: hey, I'm plastic. I do realize the CK61 has more possibilities though.

I've had both of these keyboards and will agree with points Adan & AnotherScott posted. I sold the Vox and bought a CK61 which I'm happier with, mostly because it has greater sound shaping ability and is a pretty good controller for sounds where it falls short. The jury is still out on whether I'll keep the CK, however, and have been thinking I might like to go back into a more tactile EP-based musical instrument with enough sound editing functions to keep me happily tweaking, be light enough to take out of the house. This points me at a Crumar Seven or Seventeen... have you considered these options? Or are you committed to semi-weighted?

• Like 1

Here for the gear.