Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CK61 and CK88

On 11/16/2023 at 6:28 PM, Gorbo said:

Hey Paul Woodward,

If you don't mind and you still have both boards, could you measure the width of an individual key, the width of an octave, or the width from one end of the keybed to the other, and compare between the two boards?

I've had the CK61 but returned it because I felt the keys were quite a bit narrower than other synth/piano keybeds I'm used to... Since then I've read that maybe Yamaha has always used slightly narrow keys and that's what I was feeling. I know the YC61 has a different keybed with the waterfall keys, but wondering if it has the same somewhat narrow key/octave width or if the keys are wider than the CK61.

Thanks!

Sorry, sold the CK last week.

• Dislike 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

On 11/16/2023 at 1:28 PM, Gorbo said:

If you don't mind and you still have both boards, could you measure the width of an individual key, the width of an octave, or the width from one end of the keybed to the other, and compare between the two boards?

I've had the CK61 but returned it because I felt the keys were quite a bit narrower than other synth/piano keybeds I'm used to... Since then I've read that maybe Yamaha has always used slightly narrow keys and that's what I was feeling. I know the YC61 has a different keybed with the waterfall keys, but wondering if it has the same somewhat narrow key/octave width or if the keys are wider than the CK61.

All Yamaha non-hammer keys are narrow, including CK61 and YC61. It's been that way for a long time. (Maybe always?)

Also see https://faq.yamaha.com/usa/s/article/U0008717

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Pardon if this has been asked before, but has anyone found a flash drive that is recognized by a CK? I’m trying to do a backup and it doesn’t see my SanDisk. I’ve formatted it to FAT32, tested it on other devices, etc…

• Like 1

Here for the gear.

31 minutes ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

Whats next...whats next ????

I found a bargain YC in unused condition so went back to that. Played them side by side and it was no contest for me, and not just the organs.

20231101_210037_Original.jpeg

• Like 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

YC61 is definitely better than CK61 but it's also twice the price, no battery powered, no speakers, no FX can be applied to external audio input and I believe a few other minor advantages of the CK61, so while the YC61 is the more professional and road worthy instrument, the CK61 is a very nice ultra-portable budget warrior.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

YC61 is definitely better than CK61 but it's also twice the price, no battery powered, no speakers, no FX can be applied to external audio input and I believe a few other minor advantages of the CK61, so while the YC61 is the more professional and road worthy instrument, the CK61 is a very nice ultra-portable budget warrior.

Agreed, a great board, but I got the YC for less than the price of a CK so was a no brainier for me. 

On 11/18/2023 at 4:34 PM, drawback said:

Pardon if this has been asked before, but has anyone found a flash drive that is recognized by a CK? I’m trying to do a backup and it doesn’t see my SanDisk. I’ve formatted it to FAT32, tested it on other devices, etc…

I've started buying Verbatim drives. Can't go wrong with them. They work on every Yamaha product, from my older stuff- MotifXF to S90ES and my new YC61.

This is what I buy and use: And up to 32GB should work too. (nothing above 32GB).

https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-4GB-Store-Flash-Drive/dp/B000FFLWLQ?th=1

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnH said:

And up to 32GB should work too. (nothing above 32GB)

Nothing above 32GB? I'm using a 64GB... that's probably what the problem is. I don't recall reading anything about that. Thanks!

• Like 1

Here for the gear.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Yamaha and Korg are two brands that are not compatible with each other. I used a Roland damper pedal just fine on my YC61 but I recall Korg stuff not playing nice with Yamaha due to different polarity. Expression might be different though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Woodward said:

I think Yamaha and Korg are two brands that are not compatible with each other. I used a Roland damper pedal just fine on my YC61 but I recall Korg stuff not playing nice with Yamaha due to different polarity. Expression might be different though.

I use a Yamaha FC7 with my Kronos with no problem, but with the CK61, I use a Roland EV5 (for portablilty) and had to reverse the polarity at the switch. So I would assume that a Korg pedal would work fine with a Yamaha. If not, rewire is easy.

• Like 1

Here for the gear.

Yamaha and Korg expression pedals are compatible with each other. (Damper pedals are not.)

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

1) The Korg SV-2 pedal works with the CK, but only goes down to around 30 on volume. But I assume that's an issue with the SV-2 unless I'm missing something (since it does that with the Yamaha MX also.)

2) Unfortunately there is no way to choose 2 sounds (for example: B & C ) in the CK for volume control. 

I was going to buy the Yamaha FC7, but if I can't choose B and C for simultaneous volume control, then I probably don't need it.

Do you mean you only want the volume to affect certain sounds? You can set this in the controller options within a live set.

IMG_0134.jpeg

As for pedal I use a Moog expression pedal between a Korg Grandstage, Yamaha YC61 and a Roland A800. Works perfectly on them all and is a nice robust pedal (and cheaper than the FC7).

IMG_0135.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

On 12/19/2023 at 3:17 PM, Paul Woodward said:

As for pedal I use a Moog expression pedal between a Korg Grandstage, Yamaha YC61 and a Roland A800. Works perfectly on them all and is a nice robust pedal (and cheaper than the FC7).

IMG_0135.jpeg

Looks nice! I will keep that one in mind.

The prices must have changed. The Moog seems to be more expensive than the Yamaha now.

Edit: I like that the Moog has a TRS output so the cable isn't hardwired like the FC7

• Like 1

I tried out a CK88 last night.  I wanted something portable, lightweight, with speakers, that sounds good, has a decent keyboard, and inspires me when playing.  I have a Nord Stage 4 but it's so heavy, I don't want to have to move it unless I really have to.  After playing the CK for about an hour, I bought it.  It checks every box.  What a great instrument!  And only $1299?  The Stage 4 is better, but it is NOT 4x better!  I do really wish there was a 73-note GHS CK73, like the P-121.  But you just can't have it all.

Has anyone found a lightweight gig bag for it?  The Yamaha one is 8 pounds.  I'd prefer something lighter, even if it doesn't offer the protection.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Bought a CK61 as a bedroom keyboard. My needs were lightweight (10-ish lb max), basic internal sounds, internal speakers a plus, batteries a plus, “playable” keyboard and this checked the boxes. I’ll be running a laptop/iPad with it for a broader sound pallet but also wanted a grab and go. I would have liked aftertouch but I ditched that requirement given the options on the market. Save for a few, 61 key keyboards with aftertouch get into the 15+ lb range. 

So far:

Keybed: to me, very similar to a tp9/s. Noticeably sprung synth action. Even key response both in key travel and velocity sensitivity. It was important to me to have a keyboard with black keys that don’t die at the back and this design is fine. 

Sounds: Solid with a good assortment. Nothing blows me away but the sounds are very useable.i could use this board stand alone for a wide range of gigs assuming I didn’t need to dial in synth sounds or load samples. For an all-rounder I’d choose the 88.

Workflow: Very intuitive. Would be a great gigging board. I have to get used to the concept of a Live set being the only sound construct. As I understand it, there are thre sounds which can draw from the predefined sound list. Splits, layers, and relevant controls are quick and intuitive, controller functions benefit from the appropriately spaced organ sliders (to me the slider vs drawbar isn’t an issue). Quick access: EQ, effects, Filter, layer/split, ADSR.

Construction: Feels well built despite the plastic and overall weight. Sliders, knobs, buttons all have a good feel. Wall-wart par for course and weight. 

Sub-awesome: mostly “as stated” or as expected. This is a preset sound machine with some flexibility. The synth keybed is a bit tightly sprung for my liking but it is within my adaptable range. Although a competent controller, it pales in comparison to a Kurzweil for instance. Already mentioned lack of aftertouch. No sound expansion outside of firmware (yes, Soundmondo has downloadable live sets, but it’s the same tweaked sounds AFAIK), small screen although appropriate for the workflow.

All in all, thumbs up.

ETA: Internal speakers: pretty good! I had low expectations. I’m not sure that I personally would do any gig with internal speakers but the speakers are loud enough for solo practice. For context, I was worried I wouldn’t tolerate the speakers at all but not a problem.

• Like 3

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs

I understand you are reviewing the capabilities of the unit itself, but a big selling point of the CK (and the YC) for me was the integration of an iPhone or iPad to run additional apps. Given the price of a used iPad (I saw an iPad Air for as little as £60), you can integrate a wealth of sounds from Korg, Moog etc. to supplement the internal sounds. I consider this one of the boards greatest strengths, along with the audio line in which negates the need for a mixer in a two board set up.

It’s something I always look for in a board , and something we have come to expect in higher end boards, but to retain many of the features of the CP/YC in a mid price board like the CK is impressive. I went back to the YC but only because it cost me less than a CK. Had that bargain not come along, I would no doubt still be happily using the CK.

• Like 2

I was thinking to sold both refaces(cp and yc) and buy the ck61 but i love these little boards...🙂

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

1 minute ago, UnderGroundGr said:

I was thinking to sold both refaces(cp and yc) and buy the ck61 but i love these little boards...🙂

I think you get pretty much the same features but in a larger format board where you can have all three sounds at once.

• Like 1