Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard Sounds Made Famous by Specific Artists

Over the years, many keyboard sounds have been made famous by being utilized by specific artists.  Sounds that come to mind to me like this are the Roland RD-1000/MKS-20 Piano1 sound, made famous by Elton John, the DX7 EPIANO1 (layered with an acoustic piano) sound made famous by David Foster and Chicago, and the analog brass sounds (mainly from the CS80 and Prophet 5) made famous by Steve Porcaro of Toto.

Any more that you guys can think of?

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

In addition to his "ocarina" lead sound, Lyle May's Oberheim "orchestral string section" (for lack of a better name), although he once said he thought of it more as a french horn section from an arrangers perspective, IIRC.

Emerson's Moog Modular on Lucky Man, and his Hammond sound which influenced an entire branch of prog rock.

Jobson's CS80 - Alaska

The "Tannerin" (not the theremin) on Good Vibrations

And going waaaay back:

Tomita's whistle

ALL of Wendy Carlo's sounds on the original Switched On Bach

And to a lesser extent, the Keith Jarrett / Manfred Eicher piano sound, which to my ears became exaggerated and idiosyncratic around the Staircase release, but is part of why one can pick out a KJ recording immediately.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, timwat said:

In addition to his "ocarina" lead sound, Lyle May's Oberheim "orchestral string section" (for lack of a better name), although he once said he thought of it more as a french horn section from an arrangers perspective, IIRC.

Emerson's Moog Modular on Lucky Man, and his Hammond sound which influenced an entire branch of prog rock.

Jobson's CS80 - Alaska

The "Tannerin" (not the theremin) on Good Vibrations

And going waaaay back:

Tomita's whistle

ALL of Wendy Carlo's sounds on the original Switched On Bach

the sound of the Hammond organ as played by Felix Cavalieri and Mark Stein . turned on a whole generation of us to the B3 

• Like 1

Geddy Lee over 3 or 4 records made the Obx famous for many sounds, but they all had that same feel and all seemed to based on some kind of Oberheim square wave and lovely use of the filter and filter envelope.

Some of the iconic Rush Oberheim stuff:
-Tom Sawyer opening and lead

-Subdivisions opening and lead (very similar to the Tom Sawyer lead)

-Camera Eye

-Any number of bass synth sounds which may have actually not been Oberheim...but sure sounded like it.

• Like 1

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

Korg M1 Organ/Bass used in Robin S club hits like "Show Me Love".  M1 was more widely used after the better-financed "pros" of the time started dumping M1s into the used market in favor of the next latest and greatest.

Paolo N. (longtime forum friend) does a walkthrough here

4 hours ago, Iconoclast said:

Geddy Lee over 3 or 4 records made the Obx famous for many sounds, but they all had that same feel and all seemed to based on some kind of Oberheim square wave and lovely use of the filter and filter envelope.

Some of the iconic Rush Oberheim stuff:
-Tom Sawyer opening and lead

-Subdivisions opening and lead (very similar to the Tom Sawyer lead)

-Camera Eye

-Any number of bass synth sounds which may have actually not been Oberheim...but sure sounded like it.

I believe Rush used the Moog Taurus bass pedal a lot too. Correct me if I am wrong on that. Genesis sure used it on early albums. 

• Like 2

NS3C, Hammond XK5, Yamaha S7X, Sequential Prophet 6, Yamaha YC73, Roland Jupiter X

9 hours ago, Morrissey said:

Mellotron seems pretty linked to the Beatles

I’d say the Mellotron flutes are linked most closely to Strawberry Fields Forever and Stairway To Heaven. 

Mellotron choir probably has the closest association with In The Court Of The Crimson King.

Mellotron strings & brass, a toss up?

Wakeman (Yes & Bowie)?

Banks?

Pinder?

John Paul Jones?

• Like 1

Oh man...if I had to name one significant keyboard sound, it would certainly have to be Supertramp and their usage of the Wurlitzer 200a Piano.

watch?v=low6Coqrw9Y

Why Rick Davies doesn't get enough recognition for his keyboard playing as say, Jon Lord, is way beyond me.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mark Zeger said:

I’d say the Mellotron flutes are linked most closely to Strawberry Fields Forever and Stairway To Heaven. 

Mellotron choir probably has the closest association with In The Court Of The Crimson King.

Mellotron strings & brass, a toss up? Wakeman (Yes & Bowie)?

Banks?

Pinder?

John Paul Jones?

I saw Aerosmith at Suffolk Downs before they were famous. Mellotron on Dream On has got to be on list.

• Like 1

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251