Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - 5 favorite comfort food

Mac and cheese (There's a restaurant in Manchester, NH that does an amazing job with it)

Hot dogs w/ fries

Grilled cheese

French toast or pancakes w/ real maple syrup

Cheese Ravioli w/ garlic bread

In other words, I kinda like cheese. Lol!

Hardware

Yamaha DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1/Roland VR-760/Hydrasynth Deluxe/

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 5/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX

Pho, we have lots of great pho places here. I always to to Pho Ly, they just bring me my order and it's always great. An older Vietnamese couple own and operate it, they are sweet people. I've been the only person there that only spoke English more than once, it's authentic and excellent.

Thai food - Mount Vernon 25 miles south of there - Rachawadee Thai Cafe is to die for.

Authentic Mexican food (there is one taco truck in Belingham that has great Mexican food "Tacos La Guelaguetza", some pretty OK places and some not very good places, I'm from Fresno and great Mexican food was everywhere).

Jalapeño poppers with actually hot jalapeños - not those mild ones. Gah!

"The Bowl of Death", my own habanero-mango hot sauce. It takes 3-4 hours to make a batch and it tastes harsh and evil when fresh. Overnight in the refrigerator smooths it out so that you can easily eat too much and clear your head. Endorphins!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Country style steak with mashed potatoes

Sausage gravy and biscuits

Steak au poivre

Mom's recipe potato salad

Meat loaf

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Roland Integra-7; Wurlitzer 200A

Fried chicken and sushi.

Tomato beef chow mein.

Bacon.

Milkshakes, and virtually anything with ice cream in it.

French toast.

The first two are rooted in childhood experiences, the next two are rooted in the self-destructive temptation that "I deserve a treat" after something difficult or painful, and the last one is rooted in my history when my two sons were little - it was their favorite breakfast for me to make them. Most of this is based in the psychology and emotional baggage of loss, pain, and hurt and where they intersect with safety, joy, pleasure, and emotional relief. And it's also why I have 35 pounds to lose. But I think that Noom app (that tries to get users to think deeply about the "why" and emotional attachment to eating) has legs, although I don't want to pay for it. Pete (16251) didn't ask about any of that, but after my free Noom trial, I've been think a bit about why my food choices.

Tim

Chicken noodle soup (homemade)

Linguini with white clam sauce

Stuffed peppers (Grandma's)

PA Dutch ring bologna with Swiss and brown mustard on white toast (Ring bologna from either Baringer's or S Clyde Weaver at the Allentown Fairgrounds Market.)

Pizza, but only from Philly, South Jersey, or Rosalie's in Bar Harbor, Maine. None of that chain shit. It's cardboard with ketchup.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Yocco's Hot Dogs in Allentown. It was probably the first solid food I ate. Hot dogs are a very personal and regional thing and anyone I ever introduced to Yocco's didn't get it. I'd happily eat myself sick on the Yocco's of my youth but they're not what they used to be. The old smoked meat providers went under and they're using an inferior dog. The name Yocco was actually Iacocca (Lee was a cousin) but the Germans couldn't wrap their tongues around it. Yocco was how it came out and it stuck. Yocco's Hot Dogs was featured in a Zippy the Pinhead cartoon strip. And that's more than you probably wanted to know about Yocco's.

Dog, kraut, and German mustard here!

During my post high school days I lived on Top Dog in Berkeley, which back in those days served a big, meaty dog bursting with flavor. Wherever they were getting their brats, Polish, bockwurst and hot links from, it was a meal for the soul (and the mind, as the walls were covered in counterculture ideological scribblings...both Top Dogs are a block from the UC Berkeley campus). I think Top Dog was lauded nationally as well, but the reference escapes me.

I just remember it being an iconic staple of those years - dorm cafeteria food as an awkward freshman couldn't hold a candle. Top Dog was a royal banquet by comparison, and would have fit into even a busker's budget.

Over the years the dogs shrunk and they don't taste the same. Like so many things in life, I suppose.

The Costco Polish also was a way to sate that thirst for a while, but that sucker really sits in my stomach for a minute (and not in a good way).

Dog, kraut, and German mustard here!

During my post high school days I lived on Top Dog in Berkeley, which back in those days served a big, meaty dog bursting with flavor. Wherever they were getting their brats, Polish, bockwurst and hot links from, it was a meal for the soul (and the mind, as the walls were covered in counterculture ideological scribblings...both Top Dogs are a block from the UC Berkeley campus). I think Top Dog was lauded nationally as well, but the reference escapes me.

I just remember it being an iconic staple of those years - dorm cafeteria food as an awkward freshman couldn't hold a candle. Top Dog was a royal banquet by comparison, and would have fit into even a busker's budget.

Over the years the dogs shrunk and they don't taste the same. Like so many things in life, I suppose.

The Costco Polish also was a way to sate that thirst for a while, but that sucker really sits in my stomach for a minute (and not in a good way).

The Costco Polish dog is no longer available and their regular hot dog isn't what it used to be. The end of the $1.50 lunch as we knew it...

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Costco hot turkey provolone sandwich - unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) no longer available. I'd order one every time I hit Costco, and I think those things weighed in at 800 calories.

Hot fudge milkshake at Big Jim's - down the street.

Anything my sisters make when we get together. Family stuff.

Smoked sable. It"s a type of black cod that gets sliced a little thicker than lox & has a paprika crust. On an Ess-A-Bagel (sesame, everything, or plain) or Kosar"s bialy with cream cheese (plain or scallion).

Blueberry pie with vanilla ice cream (must have vanilla bean seeds in it)

Clams (raw or fried bellies) in Newport RI during the jazz festival

Tongue sandwich on rye (yes, beef tongue) with a round potato knish & Dr Brown"s Cel-Ray soda (yes, celery soda). Hot pastrami as an alternative.

NYC style pizza, thin & foldable