Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Leon Russell

Dave Bryce

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NO!!!!!!!!

2016 is a cursed year for us. So many great musical icons have left us. What a nightmare year! [video:youtube]

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Oh man, that really sucks. RIP Leon. There is one hell of a band forming in heaven about now.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Damn. I had the good fortune to have met him on a couple of occasions when he played at my nightclub during the late 80s - early 90s. Wonderful gentleman who had a good spirit about him. Had the feeling I was standing with greatness, and you could tell he was revered by his crew. RIP Leon.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

That's not news I wanted to read.

:facepalm:

However, we do still live in the miraculous 21st C & by the magic of recordings we can still enjoy---even benefit from---the terrific work he did & shared with us.

Dig this!

[& not just the track but the great vid that Spadecaller made for it]

[

]

[video:youtube]

How many days has it been

Since I was born

How many days until I die

Do I know any ways

That I can make you laugh

Or do I only know how to make you cry

When the baby looks around him

It's such a sight to see

He shares a simple secret

With the wise man

He's a stranger in a strange land

Just a stranger in a strange land

Tell me why

How many miles will it take

To see the sun

And how many years until it's done

Kiss my confusion away in the night

Lay by side when the morning comes

And the baby looks around him

And shares his bed of hay

With the burrow in the palace of the king

Tell me why

Well, I don't exactly know

What's going on in the world today

Don't know what there is to say

About the way the people are treating

Each other, not like brothers

Leaders take us far away from ecology

With mythology and astrology

Has got some words to say

About the way we live today

Why can't we learn to love each other

It's time to turn a new face

To the whole world wide human race

Stop the money chase

Lay back, relax

Get back on the human track

Stop racing toward oblivion

Oh, such a sad, sad state we're in

And that's a thing

Do you recognize the bells of truth

When you hear them ring

Won't you stop and listen

To the children sing

Won't you come on and sing it children

d=halfnote

"Stranger in a Strange Land" is my favorite Leon Russell tune.

So sad to hear this news! I was unaware of his ailing health and caught off guard to hear of his passing.

Leon Russell was an influence on my playing during my teens. I spent plenty of time spinning Leon Russell and the Shelter People and Carney, copping his bluesy piano licks.

As others have already posted, he was one of the greats.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

And to think we still have six to seven more weeks in this year... who next?

Another member of The Wrecking Crew gone.

I have only heard good things about how Leon treated the musicians he worked and performed with. I would have felt honoured to have been amongst them. He was on my list to call if I ever got the budget...

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Wow, this so sad. Leon, along with Elton, were my inspiration that there could so much more to rock keyboards than just transistor organ.

Wasn't until Helen Reddy covered This Masquerade that I realised Leon was also a talented songwriter.

RIP.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Leon may be gone, but his great persona, songwriting and performances will live on in the hearts and minds of his millions of fans around the world. A favorite of mine was his version of Jumping Jack Flash.. his raspy whiskey vocals, the slamming piano, the flowing hair and beard, he was a huge inspiration.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Leon was supposed to play here in Melbourne, when he had to reschedule because he got so sick. The other day I drove by the venue, and they were advertising the rescheduled show.

He will be missed by all. Even though I seldom list him as a direct influence, I don't think there is a rock, blues, or country keyboardist alive that has not in some way been influenced by him.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Leon was an all time great. He remains a huge influence on many piano players,myself included. Saw him in a small club about nine years ago. He was great and it was LOUD. He was playing that strange Erector Set looking rolling cart full of modules and a controller and who knows what else. Met one of his daughters who was one of the most upbeat people ever. Here's wishing a fond farewell to The Master of Space and Time.

A hippy girl took me to one of his shows in the early 70's and after that there was no looking back for this hippy boy... Loved Leon...opened for him once with my old band at the Stephen Talkhouse out on the end of LI about 6 years ago...RIP Leon!!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Archived