Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Leonard Cohen

ElmerJFudd

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow... didn't know he was in his 80's.

I have had a bit of interest in him because Neil Larsen had been in his band ( on Hammond, possibly still using an M-3) recently, and I am a huge fan of Neil. I thought it was a little odd that Neil was doing this, but the Leonard Cohen gig was apparently fairly lucrative so that might explain it.

Dance me to your beauty with a burning violin

Dance me through the panic till I'm gathered safely in

Touch me with your naked hand or touch me with your glove

Dance me to the end of love

May you be gathered safely in, Mr. Cohen. RIP

I have had a bit of interest in him because Neil Larsen had been in his band ( on Hammond, possibly still using an M-3) recently, and I am a huge fan of Neil. I thought it was a little odd that Neil was doing this, but the Leonard Cohen gig was apparently fairly lucrative so that might explain it.

http://cohencentric.com/2015/07/09/neil-larsen-the-impeccable-nearly-invisible-leonard-cohen-world-tour-keyboardist-part-1/ has a pretty funny take on his presence in that band.

It seemed to be an extraordinarily well-reviewed tour.

Leonard Cohen's been keeping me good company in my home office today.

I've heard there was a secret chord

That David played, and it pleased the Lord

But you don't really care for music, do ya?

It goes like this:

The fourth, the fifth

The minor fall and the major lift

The baffled king composing Hallelujah...

Where like noboddy else he made lyrics and chords go hand in hand....

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha Tyros5 (76), Integra 7, macbook pro/mainstage

RIP Leonard.

Made my world richer from Suzanne through First We Take Manhattan to You Want it Darker.

From the refrain in You Want it Darker "I'm ready my Lord".

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Probably first became aware of him through a somewhat unexpected source: Roberta Flack (the aforementioned "Suzanne", from her "Killing Me Softly" album). I was intrigued about this songwriter, not knowing he was also a performer until years later when I started coming across other material by him.

Yes, he wrote a lot of real poetry and not just song lyrics, which is why many felt he was more deserving of the Nobel than Dylan. Even Dylan himself considered himself indebted to Cohen and praised him to no end.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I didn't post it at the time because I wasn't sure and didn't have time to look it up, but my first exposure was actually slightly earlier, but the same performer, as Roberta Flack covered "Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye" on one of her first couple of albums. It moved me deeply, in a way that no song had before it.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived