Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Latest Purchase (music related)

I just ordered a Gator GK76 to carry a CP88.  Price shipped came in at about $275 - so significantly less than the Yamaha case which retails for $399.99.  

Internal measurements of the GK76 are: 

Interior Length 51.5 " - close to exact length, the CP88 is about a 1/4” shorter. 

Interior Width 18 " - there’s a bit of space here.
Interior Height 6.25 " - a bit of extra space here as well. 

But it has the velcro harnesses inside to keep from shifting around.  I think it’s going to be AOK.  

B4A92E61-CE9F-44E4-9588-4914C4AB7464.jpeg.4fbe881832526ccf3310b72020fe334d.jpeg

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Sad commentary...I finally replaced my 1980's Yamaha MV802 Rack Mixer with a Behringer Eurorack Pro RX1202. The MV802 maybe the oldest piece of gear I have other than my hardware Roland MKS-20 digital piano. Oddly, I haven't needed to replace it sooner as I was using DP Performer in the early 90's and moved to Logic early on. Replacing the Yamaha was only due to 40 years of dirt in the pots and despite best efforts, it got too noisy. No need for the Behringer FX, just clean audio and XLR connections.

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

10 hours ago, Motif88 said:

1980's Yamaha MV802 Rack Mixer

I wished I still had one in good condition.

The unique feature was the CV input to control the VCA and consequently the overall volume of the mixer via CV-pedal.

☺️

A.C.

Just bought a pair of Alto 310’s to replace my old EV 12” powered monitors.  10 pounds lighter (I easily carried them into the club last night, one in each hand).  Sounded great! 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• 1 month later...

I bought a second hand Novation Ultranova with its bag and mic in mint condition for little money.

Nice little synth, with some menu diving (but not that much to make programing a PITA) and good sounds. Light to carry to rehearsal and gigs and powerful enough 

• Like 1
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Sometimes you shouldn't, but the deal is too good to pass up...

AKG C414 XLS for $900 CAD. Barely used, less than half the current retail price. I watched it for a few days, half-hoping someone else would pick it up. I was little surprised that it didn't get snatched up faster. Someone else just posted one today for $1,200, which is still a very reasonable price. Anyway, my mic closet is getting to be quite reasonably stocked at this point. Not much more I could need for my humble basement studio.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, MAJUSCULE said:

Sometimes you shouldn't, but the deal is too good to pass up...

AKG C414 XLS for $900 CAD. Barely used, less than half the current retail price. I watched it for a few days, half-hoping someone else would pick it up. I was little surprised that it didn't get snatched up faster. Someone else just posted one today for $1,200, which is still a very reasonable price. Anyway, my mic closet is getting to be quite reasonably stocked at this point. Not much more I could need for my humble basement studio.

Good score! I have a pair of '90's C414 BTLII's that have been my go-to mics for anything clean and uncolored for 20 years, drum overheads, piano, acoustic guitar, percussion, anything. I'm currently waiting on delivery of a 2nd Warm Audio Wa87 R2 so I'll have an alternative stereo pair. 

• Like 1

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

16 hours ago, The Real MC said:

New toys this weekend - Oberheim OB-X8 and QSC KW122.

oberheim-ob-x8-mc-07.jpg

QSC-KW122.jpg

OK why am I more intrigued by that keyboard stand than the OB...

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

12 hours ago, vonnor said:

OK why am I more intrigued by that keyboard stand than the OB...

I bought that stand at a music store in a mall back in the late 1980s.

One of the best stands I ever owned.  I gig it almost all the time, it is rock solid, it folds flat easy, and is lightweight.  Perfect for a piano pounder who plays standing up.

I wish I knew who made them, there is no OEM label on it and I never saw another one like it.

• Like 2

Nord Piano 3.  Decent deal on Craigslist.  I didn't like the action initially (too light) but it has grown on me.  The XL White Piano is amazing; I can't stop playing it.  Actually prefer it through headphones over my Steinway B (probably because the latter needs tuning).  This is the first digital piano I have played that doesn't sound like fingernails on a chalkboard.  I posted my CP4 on classifieds.  I do prefer the CP4 action but much prefer the sound of the NP3.

• Like 1

Dave,

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe the NP3 has an improved action over the NP2 (triple sensor) and I don't think it changed up to NP5.  I did play the Nord Grand and loved the action but the additional 6 lbs and price tag were prohibitive.  My B is from 1974; bought it at Jordan Kitts in Richmond, VA 1993.  It had been restored including paint but the paint started chipping and JK agreed to refinish it under warranty.  They actually lost the piano for several months (!) but they found it and did a good job refinishing it.  I used to keep it well tuned but I have been on a piano hiatus for a couple years, mostly playing trumpet so I have not been as attentive.  When it is in tune it is one of the nicest B's I've ever played.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ensoniq EPS (Classic).  Could not resist rescuing a relic sampling KB from a local used music store.😁

The EPS works perfectly.  Cleaned it up inside and out.  Replacing the floppy drive with a floppy disk emulator.  😎

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Adam Maness's new scales course on Open Studio, while it was on discount.  How Adam Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Scales.  😄  So far what I think has made the course worth the money are the various tactics for marking the dominant, dominant to major vs dominant to minor, etc.   Adam has encouraged students to transcribe solos too... I'm still working on those Clifford Brown lines and stuff but the marking the dominant stuff is making it easier to process the lines of the greats.

Korg Opsix.  Lot of confusion and drama over the big Korg warehouse clearance with some peeps getting busted screens and whatnot.  Mine arrived in fine shape and after the update to firmware 2.x it sounds great and is a great fit for my interests.

Roland TR-6S.  Bought on Labor Day sale.  I wouldn't have considered it if I hadn't been acclimated to the Roland TR-REC style of drum sequencing on the MC-707, because it may seem alien to those who are used to entering drum parts by real-time playing.  The MC-707's drum sounds are sample-based only, which is fine, but synthesized drums sound more lively to me.  The TR-6S's arsenal of modeled analog (ACB) and FM drums is a very welcome addition.

• Like 1

Just ordered a Rode NT1 USB microphone and Rode boom stand.   I take Zoom piano lessons and the audio has been a constant issue.  I think a big part of the issue is my only spot for my computer/tablet/phone (tried all of them) is on a desk next to keyboard right by my studio monitor.    So with a better mic and a boom to get it over to me I think...hope the audio will be better.     I'm trying to keep my lesson setup simple.    

So many musicians are using Zoom be nice if they had would made separate Music mode and Talk mode, right now main focus is Talking.  

I just ordered this:

image.png.f0ed911731fab81aa627346be0c19f5f.png

In my recent rig/pedalboard redesign, I started running in stereo. On the Rhodes, I was using an Eventide H9 Max as a stereo tremolo/reverb pedal, which it does quite well, but it seems to be kind of a waste of the capabilities of the H9. Did some research, found the Strymon Flint is well-regarded as an emulator of the classic Fender amp term and spring reverb. Found a used Flint for sale locally, then the guy decided to check out the pedal again, and decided to keep it. Further research turned up the Hydra, saw they were on a decent Labor Day discount, and ordered one. Have been impressed with the youtube demos, but haven't seen anything online with Rhodes, so we'll see...

• Like 1

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

Yamaha MODX7 as an upgrade from my MX61

IMG-5429.jpg

Roland TD-17 KVX electronic drum kit bundle

rol-td17kvxsde-1.jpg

ROC-N-SOC Manual Spindle drum throne in red - my old On-Stage bench has reached its lifespan and my back diagnosis gives me more of an initiative to find something that's a bit better anyways.

445881000005000-00-2000x2000.webp

Gator E-Drum rolling bag

517a5-HMbia-L-AC-SL1000.jpg

• Like 2

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

4 hours ago, vonnor said:

Got myself a birthday present...

~ vonnor

Happy birthday and congratsn to your new toy !

I watched and listened to this demo and IMO,- it sounds awesome.

I appreciate it comes w/ playable patches out of the box and delivers a s##tload of programming options.

☺️

A.C.

Cool! I played for several years with a Peruvian percussionist who specialized in Cajon, he could get so many sounds from it, pretty amazing instrument for something that is literally a wooden box.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper