Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Latest Purchase (music related)

On 10/4/2022 at 12:52 AM, EB5AGV said:

I hope I am not banned for life for buying this 😬... sorry, I beg your pardon 😅😇

AVW2.thumb.jpg.dcc634e78851270631656678f57e2359.jpg

My band bought me one as a birthday present, knowing that I kind of hate keytars. I found I couldn't get a consistent bluetooth connection for the wireless MIDI, I hope it works better for you.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I just picked up an old used Korg X50 to have something super light to bring to my practice space to supplement the dated sounds of the old Yamaha stage piano that stays there. The board has some nice sounds but every time I get a new Korg, I remember why I sold all of my other Korg keyboards in the past. The Combi / Program organization into random banks is so non intuitive. Finding a sound is so unnecessarily tedious. 

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

1 minute ago, Dr88s said:

I just picked up an old used Korg X50 to have something super light to bring to my practice space to supplement the dated sounds of the old Yamaha stage piano that stays there. The board has some nice sounds but every time I get a new Korg, I remember why I sold all of my other Korg keyboards in the past. The Combi / Program organization into random banks is so non intuitive. Finding a sound is so unnecessarily tedious. 

Do you have a category function? I lived in that view with my Krome...otherwise it made no sense.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Just now, Abresch B. Eberle said:

Do you have a category function? I lived in that view with my Krome...otherwise it made no sense.

Kind of, but you need to navigate to it with a joystick. For my intended use it won’t be such a big deal but I’ll never understand why many companies don’t arrange sounds in easy accessible categories like my beloved first keyboard the Alesis QS8. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dr88s said:

Kind of, but you need to navigate to it with a joystick. For my intended use it won’t be such a big deal but I’ll never understand why many companies don’t arrange sounds in easy accessible categories like my beloved first keyboard the Alesis QS8. 

My favorite example of this is the Kurzweil PC3 - the category buttons worked for the first two banks of patches only and then it was like the wild west.

• Like 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

On 10/13/2022 at 11:39 PM, Abresch B. Eberle said:

After enough years on this forum I've jumped on the clonewheel wagon...

Found a great deal on a used Hammond SK Pro 73.

skpro-73.jpg

Good you will love it

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

On 10/18/2022 at 11:28 PM, Dr88s said:

The Combi / Program organization into random banks is so non intuitive. Finding a sound is so unnecessarily tedious. 

I worked for a small Korg dealer years ago.  The sales rep said that Korg did this because most new customers will just scroll through the sounds one by one, and instead of going through multiple piano sounds in order, they wanted to have the customer audition a variety of sounds.  I believe they've been doing this as far back as the M1, as my 01/W Pro X is set up similarly.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

7 hours ago, justin_havu said:

I worked for a small Korg dealer years ago.  The sales rep said that Korg did this because most new customers will just scroll through the sounds one by one, and instead of going through multiple piano sounds in order, they wanted to have the customer audition a variety of sounds.  I believe they've been doing this as far back as the M1, as my 01/W Pro X is set up similarly.

absolutely. The organization is very clearly meant to demo the keyboard to prospective buyers. It’s just chaos for those who actually buy it…

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dr88s said:

absolutely. The organization is very clearly meant to demo the keyboard to prospective buyers. It’s just chaos for those who actually buy it…

Yep.  I've got a Karma, a Trinity Pro X, and still have the aforementioned 01/W Pro X.  No room to do this on either the Trinity or the 01/W, but on the Karma, I just set up a Favorites bank (Bank D) and I copy all of my most-used/favorite/customized presets over there, then I can organize them any which way I choose.  Granted, I could just use an editor/librarian to re-order all of the factory presets, but the official one from Karma-Lab is a bit pricey, and it'd be a ton of work.  That, and I barely use the Karma engine for playing live, and a lot of the presets are too reliant on Karma for them to be playable.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Back on topic, just got the original "Big Fat Snare Drum"  drum "topper".  Very cool, and the company has some other interesting variations and stuff I'm interested in.  

Also purchased three pairs of Vater recording sticks.

• Like 1

Hardware

Software

Not exactly purchased, but this came to live at my studio on long-term, semi-permanent loan:

image.png.d4d828245aa2b01d29a47270b61787e3.png

I'm a huge fan of Yamaha FM stuff, used to be a rather hardcore DX programmer. I remember lusting after this when it first came out, 1990-ish. Have barely begun digging into programming it, it's a pretty deep machine, but I think it's going to be a lot of fun.

• Like 7

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Happy Birthday to me! Sold a nice set of congas and went on a (mostly) software buying spree.

Arturia Belledonne (V collection, FX collection, Pigments, 50 sound banks)

Bitwig Studio 4

Cableguys Shaperbox (A really fun set of effects.) and Halftime

Nektar Aura arriving today. My first Nektar device.

If you don't hear from me for a while... :)

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

On 10/19/2022 at 2:37 AM, NewImprov said:

My band bought me one as a birthday present, knowing that I kind of hate keytars. I found I couldn't get a consistent bluetooth connection for the wireless MIDI, I hope it works better for you.

It is curious, mine works perfectly so far. I use it with my iPad Air 2

On 10/25/2022 at 2:40 AM, NewImprov said:

Not exactly purchased, but this came to live at my studio on long-term, semi-permanent loan:

image.png.d4d828245aa2b01d29a47270b61787e3.png

I'm a huge fan of Yamaha FM stuff, used to be a rather hardcore DX programmer. I remember lusting after this when it first came out, 1990-ish. Have barely begun digging into programming it, it's a pretty deep machine, but I think it's going to be a lot of fun.

The SY77, wonderful synth!. I have it and also its sibling, the SY99. FM at its best!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Haven't used a drum machine since 1984. A KORG KPR-77 with horrible drum sounds and a quirky interface, but it was a powerful music composition tool.  Looking to re-capture that experience from almost 40 years ago with the help of these two Behringer pieces.

Thanks to Sweetwater the TD-3-MO was discounted by $83.70.  Lots of the Behringer gear is discounted on Sweetwater with a "While Supplies Last!" tag line.

IMG_9135.thumb.jpg.badc0ecf439af7266480ff6de050b101.jpg 

• Like 3

Steve Coscia

Got this guy as a companion to my Odyssey.  

IMG_20221103_171331454_HDR.thumb.jpg.f335e386487bdd5e4f1b11622bc99987.jpg

• Love 1

Hardware

Software

I did a pretty major overhaul to my rig the last few months. I retired my Kronos and got a Fantom08 to replace it, saving me about 20lbs of weight. Then I added the weight back and got a Viscount Legend organ. My main gig rig now is the Legend and Nord Stage 3 compact on top. For my Floyd band it's the legend with a Nord Lead A1 on top of it, and then the Roland with the Stage on top of that, in an L shaped setup. I got one of the small 12" Leslies, which I use some of the time, and I have a MS KP610s arriving today. 

keys2022.jpg

• Like 8

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

To be clear: I like everything about your rig... but for some reason I'm most fixated on your rolling stool.  Looks comfy and functional!

7 hours ago, DanL said:

I did a pretty major overhaul to my rig the last few months. I retired my Kronos and got a Fantom08 to replace it, saving me about 20lbs of weight. Then I added the weight back and got a Viscount Legend organ. My main gig rig now is the Legend and Nord Stage 3 compact on top. For my Floyd band it's the legend with a Nord Lead A1 on top of it, and then the Roland with the Stage on top of that, in an L shaped setup. I got one of the small 12" Leslies, which I use some of the time, and I have a MS KP610s arriving today. 

keys2022.jpg

16 hours ago, Morrissey said:

To be clear: I like everything about your rig... but for some reason I'm most fixated on your rolling stool.  Looks comfy and functional!

Ha! Yeah, it's pretty nice. I guess it was part of my rig revamp too! :)With the L shaped rig my usual drum throne would be just a bit too far from one of the stacks so I got the stool to be able to roll a little. Here's a link to it on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QKFGY3Y?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

• Like 2

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Has been a bit, I wanted to make sure I was keeping it. 

SSL 2+ recording interface. I haven't fired up the MIDI in/out part yet, most of my MIDI work uses the USB dongle for Fishman Triple Play. 

That said, the mic preamps are stellar, each of the 2 channels has it's own switches - 48v phantom power, Line in, Hi-Z in and "4k mode", which is an analog simulation of the 4000 series SSL consoles so many recording studios have. Unlike many smaller interfaces, each input channel has a 5 segment LED volume meter so you can ride your inputs up just below overload easily. There is a Stereo/Mono switch, a knob to blend input and output (making latency a non-issue) and 2 headphone amps. Headphone amp #2 can also be used with RCA connectors to run to a home stereo system - good for reference monitoring. 

No power supply, runs on USB 2. On Mac OS no software is needed at all to get it up and running, truly plug and play. Noise floor is very, very low. 

Just a total win in a small interface, I highly recommend it. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Well... I haven't bought a new keyboard in a little while but I have just done a new rackbox for my personal mixing and small band mixing by getting a few new things and now putting them all together in a rackmount case:

Midas MR18

Behringer X-Touch Compact Mixer

MOTU M2 interface

Sennheiser XSW in ear monitoring system

Klark Teknik 20 BR Bluetooth Receiver

Furman power conditioner

new iPad

TP Link AC750 router

SKB 6U Shallow molded rack case

Rack shelf

Looking forward to using this setup for lots of things in home studio and on gigs.

• Like 1

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Retroaktiv PG-2K programmer for my Roland JX-3P - it's a beast! They're a small company, two guys who worked with me at Kurzweil R&D back in the day. It's given the JX a huge boost, been having a blast with it! https://retroaktivsynthesizers.com/collections/controllers/products/pg-2k-programmer-for-kiwi-3p-modified-jx-3p-pre-order

• Like 3

Anyone looking for good, cheap yet powerful stage lighting?  I just picked up 6 SHEHDS 18x18w 6-in-1 LED par washes for less than $100 each, and I am duly impressed.

They are heavy, very sturdy, very bright and very controllable via wired DMX.  There is no remote, but you can preset colors and patterns from the back to a certain degree.  So far, they have all worked flawlessly but it is early days.  Besides, at that price I'm OK with the occasional dead soldier.  Getting a nice white takes a bit of fiddling, as it pushes greens and blues pretty hard.  Oh, and minimal documentation so not for newbies.

https://www.shehds.com/products/aluminum-alloy-led-flat-par-18x18w-lighting-dj-par-cans-dmx-512-light-wash-stage-lighting

You'll probably want a truss bar with cranks or similar if you plan on using these as they are heavy.

SHEHDS 18x18.jpg

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"