Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland V-Combo VR-09

I liked what I heard a little better on the clav/auto wah combo on that video (I normally don't like auto wahs, much prefer pedal, but found this passable to use within a split for example, esp with help of a little drive, things like that):

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7MRbGpc6Uc

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

The other GM sounds are what make this a viable inexpensive alternative for me when performing with my classic rock band.. I need some synth sounds, strings and brass and some mellotrons and some vocal ahhs.. etc.. these GM sounds make all the difference for me (something tells me it won't have mellotron sounds but I can work around that).

Yeah, I hear you. As cheesy as it seemed at the time, when I used do pick-up gigs with a few Zydeco bands in the late 90's in SE Texas, the accordion patches on my old Alesis QS6 saved my butt (and the band's butt) on numerous occassions when the band either didn't want to spend the money to hire an accordion player or he just didn't show up. That's why I appreciate having the extra GM sounds to use in a pinch. You just never know when you might need them when you are gigging keyboard player, especially when you are doing pick-up gigs in throw-together bands.

Kudos to Roland for including the GM2 sound set on the VR-09. I have a RD300GX that I think has has the same GM2 sound set and to be honest some of the sounds aren't too bad, including a couple of decent accordions and horns. IMHO in a live mix, sometimes the GM sounds actually cut through better than some of the much higher-quality, more detailed main sounds.

BTW... For what its worth, the Hammond SK1, which I currently have, has probably the best selection of accordions I've ever heard on a Rompler. So if I ever move back to the Gulf Coast someday, I'm good to go for gigging with Zydeco bands.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

How is the access to the GM2 sounds on a board like this where mostly everything is on the panel?

From looking at the photos of the front panel, I'm wondering if you access the GM2 sounds by pressing the button labeled "Others" in the Piano section to the right of the screen and dial (the other buttons in the Piano section are "Piano", E. PIano", and "Clav"). I would speculate that maybe you would just press the "Others" button, select the GM sound you want using the dial, and then press "Enter". In any case, the manual will probably clarify this.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Come on. Kicking left hand bass while playing organ/piano on a 61 note, unweighted keyboard all night long? This is the only keyboard you're going to be gigging with? No bottom tier?

Seems like people expect it to have Nord Stage capabilities. The Electro and SK1 can't do some of the things then VR09 can do in terms of splits/layers.

Busch.

I see, thanks, that might be it.

Nother thing, considering it's a product by one of the big 3 with a large distribution network, I wonder how much time from NAMM till the manual is available online. Any chance to happen before the official launch of the VR-09 or is it too much? :)

I don't recall how roland managed things like that previously... All I know is that the manual serves as a great answering machine to most doubts round here. :D

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Come on. Kicking left hand bass while playing organ/piano on a 61 note, unweighted keyboard all night long? This is the only keyboard you're going to be gigging with? No bottom tier?

Seems like people expect it to have Nord Stage capabilities. The Electro and SK1 can't do some of the things then VR09 can do in terms of splits/layers.

Busch.

Yeah... On the SK1, layers are not currently possible and on splits, one of the sounds always has to be organ. Don't know about the Nord Stage, but on the Electros, layers / splits between organ and other sounds are not even possible. It looks like the VR-09 can pretty much mix and match any sounds for at least one split and one layer.

WRG to using the SK1 (or VR-09) by itself, in most gigging situations I'll still bring at least a lower tier weighted 88 (PX330 or RD300GX) or semi-weighted 76 (Kurz SP4-7) for piano. But in a pinch, it's still good to have a single portable board that can cover basic high quality sounds, with some simple layer/ split and Midi capability.

Right now the SK1 and the Kurz SP4-7 (with an MAudio UC33e for drawbar control) pretty much fit the bill for me for the portable "Swiss Army Knife" keyboard thing, but the VR-09 is, until I know more, a serious contender, especially given it's price.

I'm looking at it as a top board sitting above my SV1 or MOX8.

Right now I have been using either my Juno D or XW-P1 as a top board.

I had been looking at an SK1 but have hesitated because of the price and not knowing what other sounds are on it. Its hard to find one around this area. I am quite confident this will be in either Sam Ash or Guitar Center as soon as it ships.

This looks like its just what I have been looking for.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

I'm looking at it as a top board sitting above my SV1 or MOX8.

Right now I have been using either my Juno D or XW-P1 as a top board.

I had been looking at an SK1 but have hesitated because of the price and not knowing what other sounds are on it. Its hard to find one around this area. I am quite confident this will be in either Sam Ash or Guitar Center as soon as it ships.

This looks like its just what I have been looking for.

Sorry for intially being off topic for the VR-09 but I'll wrap it in at the end...

I don't have an XW-P1 or a Juno D, but for reference, I think you may have had (or still have) a Kurz SP4-7, because I may have read some of your helpful posts about the SP4-7 when I was researching it a year or two ago.

Anyway, most would agree that of course, the organ and Leslie Sim on the SK1 obliterates the SP4-7's watered down PC3's KB3 (even though the SP4-7's KB3 is more than adequate in loud band mixes).

WRG to non-organ sounds on the SK1 and SP4-7... IMHO the EP's on the SK1 are pretty good but not as nearly good as those on the SP4-7 (and big brother PC3), which are some of the best I've heard / played on any Rompler. The AP's on the SK1 are not as good as those on the SP4-7 but are adequate for gigging. The clavs on the SK1 are better than those on the SP4-7 (although I'm not much of a clav guy). The strings, pads, and horns blow chunks on the SK1 relative to the SP4-7. The synth sounds are better and more varied on the SP4-7 than the handfull available on the SK1. On the other hand, the accordions on the SK1 are, as I mentioned in an earlier post, simply the best I've heard on any Rompler.

WRG to how the sounds on the VR-09 compare to the SP4-7 and SK1, I would speculate, the VR-09's organ to be worse than the SK1's but better than the SP4-7's. Based on my experience with my RD300GX, the VR-09's and SP4-7's AP's are probably comparable and better than the SK1's while the SK1 gets the edge in clavs. The EP's are best on the SP4-7, pretty good on the SK1, and probably adequate on the VR-09 (unless Roland has made significant improvements on their EP's since the RD300GX). Strings, pads, horns, and woodwinds on the SP4-7 are probably comparable to those on the the VR-09's, which are, in turn markedly better than those on the SK1's. The VR-09's synth sounds are probably much better than either the SP4-7's or the SK1's (which are almost embarrassing). Layering/ splitting and Midi capabilities are probably best on the SP4-7 and worst on the SK1, with the VR-09 being in between.

Sorry for this verbose, probably wrong, mental masturbatory speculative post that probably would have been better conveyed in a table or list format. But I had fun writing it and I didn't have to inhale or break any laws. In any case, we will know better how the VR-09 compares when we can get our hands on it.

I see, thanks, that might be it.

Nother thing, considering it's a product by one of the big 3 with a large distribution network, I wonder how much time from NAMM till the manual is available online. Any chance to happen before the official launch of the VR-09 or is it too much? :)

I don't recall how roland managed things like that previously... All I know is that the manual serves as a great answering machine to most doubts round here. :D

While Roland is usually pretty good about releasing the manual online when available, I think that the manual will also not be finalized until the production version of the firmware is finalized as well. Remember, many companies also use the customer feedback that they get from NAMM to make final "tweaks" to the instrument's operating system version & firmware as well. By mentioning your concerns in this thread you may actually be helping them to pinpoint final areas to adjust or correct before finalizing the firmware, which would then also go into the documentation.

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

I seem to recall you were in a similar hurry to know everything about the Casio WX-whatever, after it was announced. Is there some project deadline that this relates to?

The VR-09 is starting to interest me. If I can sell my Kronos and SK1, and just use something like this for the 1-2 gigs a month when I'm subbing, I'm ahead of the game. But I will have to play the thing first, there's no substitute for that.

For instance, if the expression pedal doesn't work smoothly for organ sounds (i.e., if it is more workstation-like than clone-like), then the VR is not for me.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I find a 61 key board to be great for band gigs. I'll sometimes take an 88 too, but that is out of insecurity. A simple set up and wise choice of sounds and you're fine. Sort of like the current thread where the OP only had his tone wheel board for a gig and had to adapt. Less is more thinking.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

I do find it disappointing that only the organ sounds are Supernatural. I'm guessing the synth patches would be direct imports from say the Juno Di, which is age-old technology now.

Ditto the pianos, which must also be a rehash.

Can't see how adding a few of the newer samples would have increased cost massively.

We need to clarify what the synth engine is. from the look of the iPad app its similar to the one in the JP80/50 ie a VA. It has parameters such as PWM, supersaw detune etc... Can anyone verify what it is? Looks very different to the XV ROMpler engine.
Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

It doesn't have to be all night long, but regardless, yes I usually have a piano board underneath, and I prefer 73+ keys up top, but I have indeed ended up doing many gigs where I had my piano on bottom and a 61 on top that had a LH bass split on top. I don't like playing LH bass on the bottom board because I do so much piano work where I need more piano range than that leaves me with, my gigs tend to be pretty highly piano focussed. (Also, some of my 88s have lacked this same feature, again leaving me with no way to separate the bass sound from my other sounds as I prefer to do.)

But the point is not about any one particular scenario, mine or anyone else's, it's just about the ability to split and play any two sounds at once, whether to put the organ through the Vent while not putting the other sound through it, or as I said, even without a Vent, there are plenty of scenarios where the ability to route the split/layered sounds separately for any kind of external purpose could be very handy. Doesn't this seem useful? Especially if it could be done without adding manufacturing cost to the board? (BTW, I actually sold my Nord Wave largely because I couldn't send its two slots worth of sounds each out its own output... yes, it had only 49 keys, but I used to trigger one of its sounds from another board).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Usually on Rolands you can pan parts. Maybe you could just pan the one sound left and the other right. Not sure how the stereo nature of the sounds will be affected. On the Fantom G the Rotary sounds can be set to mono, and the organ should be anyway.
Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

Usually on Rolands you can pan parts. Maybe you could just pan the one sound left and the other right.

That's all I'm asking for. And yes, plenty of Rolands have offered it before. But that ability was missing from the VR-700. And maybe from the VR-09...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Usually on Rolands you can pan parts. Maybe you could just pan the one sound left and the other right.

That's all I'm asking for. And yes, plenty of Rolands have offered it before. But that ability was missing from the VR-700. And maybe from the VR-09...

Really? Had no idea it the VR-700 couldn't do that. There's always something...

Being a VR-760 and SK1 owner, I cannot wait to get my hands on the manual, so as to determine how tweekable the leslie sim speeds are (even with having to invest in an iPad), and how layerable extra sounds are. The VR-760 does everything I need, but I cannot deal with its size and weight, while the SK1 does everything I need but its leslie fast speed is not tweekable enough for my taste or music. The VR-09 might be the answer---it's small and light, and may give me a compromised sound that is toterable.

KB: Hammond SK1

Bass KB: Yamaha MX49

KB Amps: CPS SS3, linked to TurboSound IP300

Bass KB amp: Fender Rumble 500 combo

www.mikemickxer.com

www.reverbnation.com/mikemickxer

I know that Standard GM2 list would be too big to print here, but does anyone know what sounds are included in that? are there anything like real brass, or mellotronish/samplerish strings and choirs. This is something my Nord Stage Classic Lacks, and something like that would make the vr-09 a very appealing alternative.
Egun On! Lagunak! (Basque for G'day, Mates)

Busch.

Well on the Keyboard Mag (Fortner) video, it says you can have a layer or split of any 2 sounds at once. Not quite as elaborate as a Nord Stage, as with that you can have 2 synths, 2 pianos, and 2 organs (because of the panel a/b feature) split or layered at any given time. Still, the added GM sounds, drawbars, looping and drum capabilities, as well as the portability of the VR-09 make it a possible replacement of my Nord Stage Classic.

We need to clarify what the synth engine is. from the look of the iPad app its similar to the one in the JP80/50 ie a VA. It has parameters such as PWM, supersaw detune etc... Can anyone verify what it is? Looks very different to the XV ROMpler engine.

Did anyone else notice that there's a PCM wave option in the synth edit screenshot of the iPad app?

I know that Standard GM2 list would be too big to print here, but does anyone know what sounds are included in that? are there anything like real brass, or mellotronish/samplerish strings and choirs. This is something my Nord Stage Classic Lacks, and something like that would make the vr-09 a very appealing alternative.

Check out page 92 on the link below to the RD300GX owner's manual which has the GM2 sound set list, which is probably the same as on the VR-09.

http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=manuals&p=RD-300GX

I find a 61 key board to be great for band gigs. I'll sometimes take an 88 too, but that is out of insecurity. A simple set up and wise choice of sounds and you're fine. Sort of like the current thread where the OP only had his tone wheel board for a gig and had to adapt. Less is more thinking.

I hear you... I confess that with many loud bands I used to gig with, I often probably really didn't need to bring a lower 88 or even 76 key board. I could have survived with a just the upper 61 key rompler or even B3 clone (with a module). But you are right, my insecurity and desire to look cool usually triumphed at the last minute and I busted a nut hauling the big board anyway.

Now that I'm older and don't gig much, I'm more objective and honest about my past behaviours and insecurities.

Check out page 92 on the link below to the RD300GX owner's manual which has the GM2 sound set list, which is probably the same as on the VR-09.

Thanks for that. Ok. Just so others will know, nothing in strings or choirs called "Mellotron" in that list, but I bet one could modify what's there and make it sound more lo-fi. I have NO orchestral sounds on my Stage Classic. Kind of sad when my main influence, or one of are the Residents. :)

Thanks for that. Ok. Just so others will know, nothing in strings or choirs called "Mellotron" in that list, but I bet one could modify what's there and make it sound more lo-fi. I have NO orchestral sounds on my Stage Classic. Kind of sad when my main influence, or one of are the Residents. :)

What I meant was, it's kind of sad I don't have those digital/orchestral sounds on my Stage Classic.

Check out this latest demo video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCpsCMb8I94

I just watched this. I am sick of videos that showcase somebody playing some shit that you would never ever play in real life ever. Can you really get a decent sense of a piano sound, an organ sound, ANY of the sounds by watching this? Ugh. That demo sounded like the floor at NAMM. /rant

I've ranted until I'm blue in the face about this.

The worst, to me, are synth-makers who assume everyone is making disposable dance grooves for teen clothing stores in the mall, or HGTV shows. Every demo is THOOMP THOOMP THOOMP THOOMP BWAAAAAAHM BWAAAAAAHM d-d-DEEEE d-d-DEEEE d-d-DEEEE d-d-DEEEE, and goes on for 3 minutes without any variation in sound.

I want some trippy old sci-fi space noises, textured pads, and some good comp'ing sounds - I don't need another distorted bass or Hoover lead! - but it takes waiting for months after a synth is released, then scouring YouTube for user demos to get any sense of what the thing really sounds like and is capable of doing.

If anyone reading this is at NAMM can you hit Roland up and ask them exactly what the synth engine is technically?