Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dig My Rig--Let's see your setup!

Justin Havu

One configuration of my current live rig.  And if you haven't figured it out, I do use a ton of different sounds, and I absolutely hate doing patch changes during a song.  Surprisingly, this rig takes a mere 30 minutes to set up.

IMG_20240715_163925967_HDR.thumb.jpg.59d90823542775d07c727f3b8f6f3e0a.jpg

• Like 9

Hardware

Yamaha DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1/Roland VR-760/Hydrasynth Deluxe/

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 5/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX

2 hours ago, Justin Havu said:

One configuration of my current live rig.  And if you haven't figured it out, I do use a ton of different sounds, and I absolutely hate doing patch changes during a song.  Surprisingly, this rig takes a mere 30 minutes to set up.

Hell yeah, man, go big or stay home! I do a 4 keyboard setup, including a Rhodes 73, and it takes me about 15 minutes to set up. Like you, I hate to do patch changes within a tune. I also hate keyboard splits. I hate playing organ from a weighted action, or playing Rhodes from an unweighted. And I like the idea that when I reach for an organ, it's always going to be an organ.

15 years ago, I was gigging with an all-software rig with 2 controllers, and it worked fine, and it sounded fine out front, but it wasn't nearly as much fun for me as my current setup, and, as I've come to realize, that's what's most important.

• Like 4

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I hate split keyboard too, with a couple of exceptions.  I have a Tron performance on the MX61, with strings on the left and flute on the right, so I'm pretty much staying within the range of a real Mellotron.  Also, triggering samples on the M8x, I'll use the lowest few notes on the keyboard to pull that off.

And yes, organ on weighted action is a no-no for me.  I don't mind some synth stuff on the M8x, because it's quite a light action.

• Like 1

Hardware

Yamaha DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1/Roland VR-760/Hydrasynth Deluxe/

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 5/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX

15 hours ago, obxa said:

Not sure if we have a "dig my gig"  thought it might be fun to share. Just finished up a leg with the Forever Motown revue which features  surviving members from the Temps, 4 tops and a ton of other vocalists plus dancers.   This is from Saturday at the beautiful Alabama theater in Myrtle Beach SC. 

I was 2nd keys, MD does sax and piano.  Pretty much my same old rig.  But went out this time not using Mainstage.   Instead: after wiping it clean,  put together a ton of custom samples into my old Stage 2 and worked really well.  No mixer,  just YC's  built -in and a Rolls Pm55 (mounted on little shelf below Ipad #1) for IEMs. Ipad 2 is dedicated to ear mix and chart backup. 

Was also the first time used Forscore to fully automate  program changes on all boards.  Simple hack of separating multi-page scores and treating them as individual songs - this way  programs will automatically load on every page turn- which was crucial for medleys.

YC did great, especially for additional non-piano sounds (vibes, harp etc.)  Experimented with a small Boss dual footswitch to do simultaneous leslie and sustain switching for both boards.   Still need to do some tweaking.  For upcoming travel will have to put together a mostly Mainstage rig. 

PS- my $5  Led light plugged into the YC's Usb port is my new favorite "why didn't I do this sooner?" thing..... Great to be able to see the A/B control panel. Their LD was gracious enough to find me some old-school gel paper to cut the brightness down a bit.   You can see the faint blue glow to the LH side of YC logo.

451215786_10230319253139425_8825520043515899163_n.thumb.jpg.9b46c24e809ef8a902990e1a5d46b245.jpgIMG_5987copy.thumb.jpg.db24ea61b3b1baefe0ca5ea7110e80f7.jpg451502397_10230319253419432_4912772562037468797_n.thumb.jpg.e6277db4362c3708e70b59e8a942fc0e.jpg451232064_10229126728785386_3861203740202615832_n3.thumb.jpg.c97fd9492ac05f5a2a9a6b221b170e39.jpgIMG_59882.thumb.jpg.3a324e7545b90bf9cd44f5955f5e75d8.jpg

IMG_5988 2.jpg

YC did great, especially for additional non-piano sounds like vibes and harp guitar. Using Forscore for automated program changes and experimenting with the Boss footswitch for Leslie and sustain switching sounds really innovative.

• Like 2

I just finished a long overdue remodeling of my studio, so I figured a few new pics might be appropriate. I had run out of space & had 3 keyboards sitting in cases in my garage. Dumb!

As I started to plan how I’d remodel, I wanted to have multiple “workstation” areas- each with a computer monitor, QWERTY keyboard, and speakers, so I could track from anywhere in the room but still have my DAW right in front of me.

Icing on the cake was figuring out I could setup my ARC controller (that controls the front end TotalMix software for my RME RayDat card) to call up different mixes… i.e. at the touch of a button I can turn a particular set of speakers on and mute all the others. Everything’s working (but still got some tweaking to do of course) and the end result is a powerful, inspiring workflow.

gmmaremodel7edit.thumb.jpg.2ace92701353041b1a48e19124f1a265.jpg

Main workstation:

gmmaremodel-maindesk2.thumb.jpg.11997b405611b19b288b16da954f90fd.jpg

The Kronos is a gig keyboard, used mostly for fill in or one-off gigs. I have it in here so I can program setups when needed. It also makes for a nice MIDI controller.

gmmaremodel-WurlieWorld.thumb.jpg.8d6fbeffaac44d53e0946d45fe110309.jpg

I actually am just using the SKX as a controller for B-3X. I have BOME MIDI Translator programmed to translate all the buttons, knobs, etc. to control the software’s equivalent.

gmmaremodel-SKX.thumb.jpg.999fe4c39e8727570049ce29b112677f.jpg

Analog Heaven:

gmmaremodel-RedWall.thumb.jpg.8e52deffc1392e4c4b2e8b44018f7be4.jpg

• Like 8
  • Wow! 2
  • Love 7

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

15 hours ago, mcgoo said:

I just finished a long overdue remodeling of my studio...

Wow -- just wow!

Old No7

• Like 4

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

16 hours ago, mcgoo said:

I just finished a long overdue remodeling of my studio, so I figured a few new pics might be appropriate. I had run out of space & had 3 keyboards sitting in cases in my garage. Dumb!

As I started to plan how I’d remodel, I wanted to have multiple “workstation” areas- each with a computer monitor, QWERTY keyboard, and speakers, so I could track from anywhere in the room but still have my DAW right in front of me.

Icing on the cake was figuring out I could setup my ARC controller (that controls the front end TotalMix software for my RME RayDat card) to call up different mixes… i.e. at the touch of a button I can turn a particular set of speakers on and mute all the others. Everything’s working (but still got some tweaking to do of course) and the end result is a powerful, inspiring workflow.

Main workstation:

gmmaremodel-maindesk2.thumb.jpg.11997b405611b19b288b16da954f90fd.jpg

The Kronos is a gig keyboard, used mostly for fill in or one-off gigs. I have it in here so I can program setups when needed. It also makes for a nice MIDI controller.

gmmaremodel-WurlieWorld.thumb.jpg.8d6fbeffaac44d53e0946d45fe110309.jpg

I actually am just using the SKX as a controller for B-3X. I have BOME MIDI Translator programmed to translate all the buttons, knobs, etc. to control the software’s equivalent.

gmmaremodel-SKX.thumb.jpg.999fe4c39e8727570049ce29b112677f.jpg

Analog Heaven:

gmmaremodel-RedWall.thumb.jpg.8e52deffc1392e4c4b2e8b44018f7be4.jpg

Nice setup! I really appreciate the thought you put into the workflow of your space. You should have a lot of fun in there!

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

3 hours ago, NewImprov said:

Nice setup! I really appreciate the thought you put into the workflow of your space. You should have a lot of fun in there!

Yeah, I've already had a couple of big projects, so I've had a chance to see how the new setup works. So far, so good!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

www.gmma.biz

I thought about posting my studio rig until mcgoo posted his and then said "nawww f**k it"

Even rockin an OG TrapKat, nice 👍

• Haha 2

The Players:  OB-X8, Numa Compact 2X, Kawai K5000S, cheap Korean guitars/basses, Roland TD-1KV e-drums.  Eurorack/Banana modular, Synth/FX DIY.

Also big props to Justin, Rick Wakeman would approve.  Setup/teardown ain't my jam...

• Like 1

The Players:  OB-X8, Numa Compact 2X, Kawai K5000S, cheap Korean guitars/basses, Roland TD-1KV e-drums.  Eurorack/Banana modular, Synth/FX DIY.

I have the setup/teardown pretty much down to a science.  Audio cables are all dual TS (except for XLR out of the B-Oddy.)  No MIDI anywhere on the rig.

Hardware

Software

3 hours ago, sunspot said:

I thought about posting my studio rig until mcgoo posted his and then said "nawww f**k it"

Even rockin an OG TrapKat, nice 👍

It ain't a competition, show us whatcha got! I've certainly heard some amazing music from much more modest setups. And yeah, I love that Trapkat. Real drummers hate it and can't seem to groove on it. Between the Trapkat and Superior Drummer, I can make some pretty believable drum tracks. 

• Like 1

www.gmma.biz

11 hours ago, mcgoo said:

It ain't a competition, show us whatcha got!

This. I've received some positive encouragement on my simple two-board rig, based on its ergonomics and ease of setup. Your rig might have some really cool ideas that inspire us.

Cheers, Mike.

My most recent setup.  The Arturia is primarily used as an aux board for gigs connected to the ipad, running Camelot, VB3m, Minimoog, and a few others.....  

The PC is a windows home built unit running Digital Performer (and of course YouTube).  Motion Sound Amp and HX Stop slightly out of frame. And, of course an EVH guitar (a few other axes off screen on the wall).  I typically don't take the DMC122/Gemini out of the case unless I'm rehearsing for a gig.

435254359_10232736194694385_8291529431017242883_n.jpg

• Like 5
  • Cool 1

Ooh!  A MIDIBoard!  I'd still have mine from 17 years ago if it didn't crash all the time!

Hardware

Software

On 7/17/2024 at 7:43 PM, mcgoo said:

I just finished a long overdue remodeling of my studio, so I figured a few new pics might be appropriate...

I'm intrigued by those wood-panel floor mats. Do tell. :D

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage4, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

As some of you know, serendipity hit me last week and I picked up a pristine Roland Jupiter 80. 

I am currently programming my new live rig which is Fantom-08 under Jupiter 80. 

The two together are giving me awesome sonic capabilities. 

The Fantom’s internal/external routings do a great job of controlling the Jupiter based on what I need.

I’ll write up more details once I’m done deep diving. 🤠

spacer.png

• Like 9
  • Cool 2

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

Congratulations, David! Love, love, love the Jupiter-80. Sounds really good on those Journey tunes. ;)

• Like 1

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

9 minutes ago, Moonglow said:

Congratulations, David! Love, love, love the Jupiter-80. Sounds really good on those Journey tunes. ;)

Thanks Chris!

Oh yeah.  I’ve been really enjoying digging deep into the Jupiter.  
once I figured out the three partials, editing got really easy.  
Those oscillators.   Yumm 

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

11 hours ago, EscapeRocks said:

...Those oscillators.   Yumm 

Filters = yumm too. :D

• Like 1

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage4, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

What a difference with studios compared to live rigs. Almost a different world. 

• Like 1

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

On 7/15/2024 at 9:44 PM, Justin Havu said:

I've had my eyes on that Hydra Deluxe since it was released... How's the keybed?

That could become my first poly AT (unless I grab the Uli UB-Xa first...).. hehe!

• Like 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

3 hours ago, J.F.N. said:

I've had my eyes on that Hydra Deluxe since it was released... How's the keybed?

That could become my first poly AT (unless I grab the Uli UB-Xa first...).. hehe!

For me, it's quite pleasant to play.  Not too light, but not too heavy.  The poly AT is very responsive, and you can adjust that response to your liking.

• Like 2

Hardware

Software

• 3 weeks later...

I know we all love to show off our home studio setups but I want to go the other direction. Summertime is the time for me to setup a corner in the garage, dust off a few old synths collecting dust and give them a heavy, loud workout. While I keep the “good stuff” in the home and in use, the old stuff gets wrapped and stacked and waiting for the next urge to drag them out. 

Garage jamming doesn't wake the family, I can drink and smoke with no nagging and gives me a chance to check out the old gear, make sure it still works and do some cleaning where needed. My mind goes backward in time 30 years, with a tear in my eye when I hit those yellowed keys! And it justifies me hanging on to too many old synths that I love. Here I have some Ensoniq classic fun, sequencing and soloing with an SQ80 and an SQ1. Wait - I hear an ESQ-1 banging on its case to be let out to join the party, too. 

IMG_0713.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Impressive studios / gear here! My stuff tends to be a mix of old and new in 3 different rooms.

20240829_150241.thumb.jpg.f031ea38a4e12505c3de8f840007198f.jpg

My upstairs studio where I do soundtrack work for games and videos, and my Aethellis band and solo albums for our label.

Ensoniq SQ1 plus (great deal used - so I can play my old KS32 patches/sequences); Roland Fantom X7 with 512 MB sample RAM and Orchestra and Strings expansion cards; MIDI 8X8, Akai XR20 drum machine, Alesis QSR (with Classical and Vintage Synths cards),, Emu MoPhatt, old Roland MKS100; Mellotron Micro on top of Studiologic SL88 Studio; Korg Polysix, Kawai K4, Simmons drum controller. PC runs Windows 11 (but using Start 11 to mimic Windows 10) and Cakewalk (!!). Been using that DAW for over 30 years. Kawai Q-80 hardware sequencer lower left.

20240829_152505.thumb.jpg.59d4cd413e6d0e3eba056489e6fa6b0e.jpg

Living room with the piano I started lessons on 60 years ago - Baldwin Acrosonic. CME UF7 in drawbar mode controlling a V-Machine with Hammond B3 emulation. Yamaha D3 organ I got just before my 15th birthday.

20230808_110120.thumb.jpg.b93af75378f00de3f2f2cf89dd72f8e0.jpg

Basement band rehearsal area.  Roland AX-1 far left. Peavey amp (my guitarist sometimes uses it). Roland KC100 amp. I use the QSC K10 (not shown) at gigs. Roland  FP30-X piano, Korg Mini-Korg (my first synth), Alesis QS7 with custom RAM card. Akai XR20 drum machine. I also have a Novation Xiosynth (not pictured) that sometimes sits above the FP30-X.

20240829_150241.thumb.jpg.f031ea38a4e12505c3de8f840007198f.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis