Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha YC61 Announced

Does anyone know how the action of the YC61 compares to the Nord Electro 6D?

YC61 feels lighter than Nord's semiweighted keys... less force required to press the keys, less pushback after you've pressed them. Also, Nord resistance continues to increase throughout the key's travel, whereas on the YC61, there is a little bit of an "escapement" feeling where, after you pass a certain point in the key's travel, resistance actually DEcreases.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Ah man that"s a shame this is the biggest issue I have with the YC61! I need to try one to see how it plays compared to my old Hammond XK1. If it"s worse, it could be a deal breaker which is a shame as it ticks the most amount of boxes I have for a second keyboard!

the yc in front of me triggers at the half way point of the key travel.

I can confirm that seems to be the point of key 'contact' selected by Yamaha travel for triggering an organ sound, in the current firmware.

But of course they do have the option to change that....

If you choose a velocity sensitive sound - like a piano - then a key only has to be moved a tiny amount to trigger the start of the velocity sensing. So a high trigger point should be available for future updates, if they chose to enable it?

You can check this high trigger point by selecting a piano voice, moving a key a fraction and then holding it there. Wait a few seconds, and then continue to press. There will be no sound.

(You will have triggered the start of the velocity sensing mechanism, but not completed it within the allotted time frame).

Yamaha - YC61 - P105 - MOX6 - HC2 -- Neo Vent 2

But of course they do have the option to change that...a high trigger point should be available for future updates, if they chose to enable it?

They probably can change that (and I hope they do), but I would not assume they definitely can.

You can check this high trigger point by selecting a piano voice, moving a key a fraction and then holding it there. Wait a few seconds, and then continue to press. There will be no sound.

(You will have triggered the start of the velocity sensing mechanism, but not completed it within the allotted time frame).

Piano sounds do often work as you describe, but not for the reason you describe. There is no alloted time frame involved. What happens if you move the key really slowly is that you generate a velocity of 1. Most keyboards do produce sound at a velocity of 1, but on some boards, velocity of 1 is specifically programmed to produce no sound, specifically to emulate how, on a piano, you can press really slowly and get no sound... though the depressed keys will still undamp strings, and create resonances when you subsequently play other notes. It's kind of a parlour trick, but since you can do it on a piano, it is something manufacturers have emulated.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

While this isn"t my cup of tea, to my ears the rotary in this video sounds slightly better than in the other ones I"ve heard. Is it just me??

[video:youtube]

Either that, he"s running it through something else...or it"s an updated rotary...or it"s just my ears.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

At 2:16 you can see the real Hammond organ behind him, the Leslie would certainly be for that... I wouldn't assume that's what he's using on the YC. I didn't actually see a Leslie, but I didn't watch the whole video closely. Does it have mikes on it? Mikes wouldn't prove he was using it, but lack of mikes would prove he wasn't... Also, can you tell if it's even powered up (i.e. if horn is spinning)?

At 2:16 you can see the real Hammond organ behind him, the Leslie would certainly be for that... I wouldn't assume that's what he's using on the YC. I didn't actually see a Leslie, but I didn't watch the whole video closely. Does it have mikes on it? Mikes wouldn't prove he was using it, but lack of mikes would prove he wasn't... Also, can you tell if it's even powered up (i.e. if horn is spinning)?

Yeah, I'm not into all this Yamaha conspiracy stuff. There is clearly a Hammond behind him next to the Leslie. I watched this a few times and can't discern any place where he's controlling a 'real' Leslie.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I'm looking at 0:55...a top shot of the board. If you look at the Speaker/Amp Section it appears to me the three-way Organ-Keys A-Keys B indicator is set to Keys A. If true, this would mean that it's not the internal Leslie he's using. Whether that means he's using the Leslie or an outboard sim you can't tell...although he also appears to be using XLR cables for whatever he's connecting to....could even be a software sim. If correct, too bad because it sounds great.

I'm looking at 0:55...a top shot of the board. If you look at the Speaker/Amp Section it appears to me the three-way Organ-Keys A-Keys B indicator is set to Keys A.

Good catch... the organ does not seem to be routed through the internal rotary. Unless maybe he's got some buggy pre-production version and the wrong LED is lighting up!

he also appears to be using XLR cables for whatever he's connecting to....

What are you referring to there? The back of the YC only has 1/4" output jacks...

he also appears to be using XLR cables for whatever he's connecting to....

What are you referring to there? The back of the YC only has 1/4" output jacks...

Looking right near the end of the video at the orange cord...looks like an XLR connected to a 1/4" L adapter...if it is not sure it's of any practical consequence....maybe related to the way he was recording?

Point of clarification.

The light next to the Organ, Key A, Or Key B, indicates the last section being edited, and /or what section will be affected if you twiddle the knobs. The fact the Speaker/Amp show Key A doesn't mean he didn't setup a speaker/amp for the organ part.

Likewise, the unlit section of effects, where you dial in the rotary, is overidden when you use the rotary button to the left of the drawbars, or use a pedal to change speeds. i.e. it can show "off" yet you'd still get a rotary if you triggered it in the aforementioned way.

Lastly, I'm going to see if he's shared his organ preset up on Soundmondo. If so, I'll load it up and see what results I get

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Point of clarification.

The light next to the Organ, Key A, Or Key B, indicates the last section being edited, and /or what section will be affected if you twiddle the knobs. The fact the Speaker/Amp show Key A doesn't mean he didn't setup a speaker/amp for the organ part.

Likewise, the unlit section of effects, where you dial in the rotary, is overidden when you use the rotary button to the left of the drawbars, or use a pedal to change speeds. i.e. it can show "off" yet you'd still get a rotary if you triggered it in the aforementioned way.

David...working with mine here... The only way to get the Rotary sound on the organ I can find is if the organ light is lit....can you let me know how you are doing it otherwise? Also, if you have it off and engage it with the buttons to the left of the drawbars as you suggest, it turns the Speaker/Amp section on....it's just like hitting the little metal switch in that section. Also...just looked at Soundmondo...don't see anything posted for this.

David...working with mine here... The only way to get the Rotary sound on the organ I can find is if the organ light is lit....can you let me know how you are doing it otherwise? Also, if you have it off and engage it with the buttons to the left of the drawbars as you suggest, it turns the Speaker/Amp section on....it's just like hitting the little metal switch in that section. Also...just looked at Soundmondo...don't see anything posted for this.

Same here - I can't get the organ sound to run through the internal rotary, without the organ LED lit up on the Speaker section .... looks like I may have missed something too ?...

I'm pretty sure that's not the internal rotary --- Best visual clue is the one Kenheeter mentioned above -

For a very fleeting moment at around 2.03 he changes rotary to fast, and the alternating rotary speaker fast/slow LEDS - next to the pitch bend level - clearly stay flashing at the slow rate....

And I'm not sure, but I think he maybe using 'fast and stop' rather than 'fast and slow' ???.... He's got Chorus 3 switched on, so that maybe confusing things a bit

I don't believe there's any way to get the current internal rotary fast speed to sound like that -- I'd love to be proved wrong....

Yamaha - YC61 - P105 - MOX6 - HC2 -- Neo Vent 2

For a very fleeting moment at around 2.03 he changes rotary to fast, and the alternating rotary speaker fast/slow LEDS - next to the pitch bend level - clearly stay flashing at the slow rate....

Wow. Eagle eye!

I know I"m the one who posted the video, but you"ve got to love how dedicated the folks on this forum are when it comes to sussing out rotary speakers on keyboards.

I do love it. But imagine playing for an audience of KC members. You'd get booed off the stage for a less than authentic doppler effect. Fortunately, real audiences are nothing like that, which is why the YC61 can pass muster at most garden variety gigs, mediocre leslie sim and all.

Of course, I'd love to actually test this theory when gigs come back.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64