Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Deep Purple song - Hammond front and centre

Like a slow blues version of Mad Dog, great to see them still rocking!

Always missing the Lord when I hear them now (he was one of the corner stones in my musical "education" as a young aspiring keyboard player).

• Like 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

Yup. Pure Purple. Feel the same about Jon Lord, but Don puts his own stamp on his parts while still keeping the core style of Lord in his playing. Really smart and effective performance. 

• Like 4

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Yes!!! DEEP PURPLE!!!

Make that -- "Yes, and "Deep Purple"!

I'll be seeing them both together in 8 weeks over in NH.

This other new tune is great too -- love the Hammond groove that Don puts on it, and the solo too.

Someone on youtube referred to Deep Purple as: "The gramps with the amps!"

Old No7

• Cool 1

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

I am curious how this version of Deep Purple will sound. I got to see Ritchie Blackmore a few times with Rainbow. Lost interest in Deep Purple’s new music after the incredible Perfect Strangers album. And now with no Jon Lord? It is too sad to try to step back in time at these a-bit-past-ripeness tours. To see my idols, who in my mind are always young when I hear their music still, give it a good try with all the aches and pains they now have is inspiring. But I also cringe a lot and don’t want to remember them that way. (I know, sounds ageist and horrible!)

Heart just cancelled in my town, and co-headline CheapTrick’s Robin Zander wasn’t looking too spry last tour either. If you gotta see these great remaining classic performers live, don’t wait too long! Damn, I wanted to see Ozzy this year! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, My Keys And Me Are Vintage said:

And now with no Jon Lord? It is too sad to try to step back in time at these a-bit-past-ripeness tours. 

Don't judge a book by its cover. These old farts still play their assess off and Don Airey is a serious bad ass. I saw them a few years ago (while Steve Morse was still in the band) and they pretty much schooled every other musician on stage that night and in attendance in the crowd. Still worth the price of admission and then some. 

• Like 1

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

I have mixed feelings. The guitar riff sounds like 2 old purple riffs jammed together. Maybe strange kind of woman and speed king. The hammond solo sounds like 3 or 4 Jon Lord-isms crammed together. The guitar solo isn't blackmoreish at all which is fine with me. I do like Ritchies solos though.  It reminds me of what AI would spit out if you requested it to write a purple song.

But I don't hate it. I probably will reach for 20 other purple records before I ever play this again though.

• Like 1

FunMachine.

Good singing, nice guitar solo, Rick Wakeman influenced organ solo from Don Airey (no surprise there; they have long been linked). The first song sounds unoriginal except for the solos but it's enjoyable anyway. I think they were more adventurous during the 00's and 10's.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

The second song impresses me a bit more, and seems more a continuation of the direction they have been heading in the past 10+ years, while throwing back a bit more to the past than recent DP offerings (which have all impressed me deeply).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I thought the Steve Morse version of the band was its most inventive and didn't realize he had left the band in 2022. I am guessing that the addition of Simon McBride was an attempt to go back a bit to their roots. Nothing wrong with that, but I find this iteration of the band slightly less interesting than the previous.

I see from his Wiki page that McBride has been associated with Deep Purple band members at least since 2016, so this was clearly a well thought out decision.

Current lineup (if like me you are wondering who these guys are):

Ian Gillan - vocals

Roger Glover - bass guitar

Ian Paice - drums

Simon McBride - guitar

Don Airey - keys 

So... 3/5 of the classic Machine Head lineup. Legit Deep Purple I guess. 

Keys are panned left and guitar right - the opposite of their albums in the 70s. It's not a hard pan either... and I missed that. I used to listen to just the right channel at times to pick up licks.

1st song was a bit too reminiscent of their classic stuff for me. I liked the guitar solo the best - with Simon McBride kinda doing his own thing.

I didn't listen to the 2nd song. I now know who they think they are, and I agree. 

• Like 1

Liked the first track a lot more than the second. I don't consider myself a classic Deep Purple fan, although Jon Lord undeniably influenced a lot of organ technique and I owe a good bit to him as well. But that track's a nice one.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

On 7/5/2024 at 11:54 PM, Baldwin Funster said:

It reminds me of what AI would spit out if you requested it to write a purple song.

That's a good and kind of sad summary of how I'm processing this. On the other hand, what's a half-century old rock band supposed to do? If it's all more mostly all non-original members and strikes out in new musical directions, then in what sense is it even the same band? It's like asking what today's LA Dodgers have in common with the Brooklyn Dodgers other than a name on a jersey.

As with a lot of legacy bands, the newer material mostly just wets my appetite to queue up and re-appreciate the old stuff.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

33 minutes ago, Adan said:

That's a good and kind of sad summary of how I'm processing this. On the other hand, what's a half-century old rock band supposed to do? If it's all more mostly all non-original members and strikes out in new musical directions, then in what sense is it even the same band? It's like asking what today's LA Dodgers have in common with the Brooklyn Dodgers other than a name on a jersey.

As with a lot of legacy bands, the newer material mostly just wets my appetite to queue up and re-appreciate the old stuff.

But unlike the Brooklyn Dodgers, this band has 3/5ths of its classic Mark II lineup.  Which makes it  LOT more legit than that current band calling itself “Yes”. 

• Like 3

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I have to say that the last couple Purple records were all very good. Woosh, Now What, and Infinite are all in normal rotation on Spotify for me.

I feel like Ian Gillan could write lyrics to 3 songs over dinner about what happened in the cab on the way to the restaurant. And the band can jam around just about anything.

So sorry to see Steve go but Simon is such a killer player too.  And the positive is that we'll get some new Steve Morse Band or Dreggs in return perhaps? I can only hope.

• Like 3

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

A friend of mine has been Purple's guitar tech for decades (the Morse years and now continues on with Simon).  He's an absolute monster player himself, and a damn nice guy.  Dunno if this video will show up here as it's a FB link, but they're in Switzerland right now and this is all the techs jamming for the soundcheck a few hours ago.

https://www.facebook.com/1758826474/videos/725897099592142/

• Cool 1

On 7/6/2024 at 6:22 PM, Mark Schmieder said:

I see from his Wiki page that McBride has been associated with Deep Purple band members at least since 2016, so this was clearly a well thought out decision.

+2  Specifically, he was Don Airey's guitar player for a bunch of years.  His was a group I was always hoping to get to see, but never have.....  I don't know if they ever toured in the US.  Maybe someday.   

• Like 1

They still sound like Deep Purple which is the most important thing. 

Longevity as a band is an amazing feat as well. 

Rock on gramps with the amps.😎

• Like 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

On 7/7/2024 at 4:13 PM, Iconoclast said:

I have to say that the last couple Purple records were all very good. Woosh, Now What, and Infinite are all in normal rotation on Spotify for me.

I agree! I read an interview with the band around the release of Infinite, and they were saying that there's absolutely no financial incentive for them to be releasing new music, they could be touring on their back catalog for as long as they want. But they are enjoying playing and writing together, so they're making records. I can respect that.

• Like 2

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

42 minutes ago, NewImprov said:

...they were saying that there's absolutely no financial incentive for them to be releasing new music, they could be touring on their back catalog for as long as they want. But they are enjoying playing and writing together, so they're making records. I can respect that.

Me too, that's great to hear about them.  After all -- it's music, they're a band -- and the fun should never end!

I'm liking all 3 new songs I've heard so far:  "Lazy Sod", "Portable Door" (both vids posted above) and also "Pictures of You" (no Hammond solo, but I like the piano ending). I'll add that one here too (down below).

On 7/5/2024 at 7:26 AM, My Keys And Me Are Vintage said:

If you gotta see these great remaining classic performers live, don’t wait too long!

+1 to that -- I'll be seeing them with Yes in late August.

Someone on youtube had posted this comment -- to which I made an addition...

"Deep Purple are not just a band, they are an idea, a way of making music, a concept that expands and crosses time and space."  And band members too.

Old No7

• Like 1

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

20 hours ago, Lou Gehrig Charles said:

+2  Specifically, he was Don Airey's guitar player for a bunch of years.  His was a group I was always hoping to get to see, but never have.....  I don't know if they ever toured in the US.  Maybe someday.   

Oh, that's cool! Don Airey's guitarist? That sounds like a band worth catching live. Hopefully they'll tour the US someday!

44 minutes ago, murphybridget said:

Oh, that's cool! Don Airey's guitarist? That sounds like a band worth catching live. Hopefully they'll tour the US someday!

Yep, it's Don, Simon McBride, Carl Sentance (of Nazareth, Krokus and others) on vocals, John Finnegan I think on drums.....  Etc.  There are lots of videos on Youtube but they're all from Germany, Russia, Slovakia, the Netherlands etc.  I don't know if they have toured in the US at all.

• Like 1

I’m not a huge Deep Purple fan, but had the good fortune of seeing the band with Jon Lord when they toured with ELP many moons ago. I like the new song and find it heartwarming to see these guys playing together.

• Cool 1

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I saw the House of Blue light era. Jon was great as always. Ritchie not so great in that era. He thought he had to out play ingwie and played alot more notes than his great style needed. But the standout...Gillan. he pretty much topped any high energy singer in those days. He didn't leave anything in the bag and that's why he doesn't have alot left today. He probably never thought he'd get this far.

FunMachine.

On 7/5/2024 at 8:54 PM, Baldwin Funster said:

I have mixed feelings. The guitar riff sounds like 2 old purple riffs jammed together. Maybe strange kind of woman and speed king. The hammond solo sounds like 3 or 4 Jon Lord-isms crammed together. The guitar solo isn't blackmoreish at all which is fine with me. I do like Ritchies solos though.  It reminds me of what AI would spit out if you requested it to write a purple song.

But I don't hate it. I probably will reach for 20 other purple records before I ever play this again though.

I get what you mean. The guitar riff does have a mix of classic Purple vibes, especially from "Strange Kind of Woman" and "Speed King." The Hammond solo also feels like a blend of Jon Lord's signature moves. The guitar solo being different from Blackmore's style is interesting, but I can see why some might prefer Ritchie's solos.

This is just sad, I get that these guys still want to play but they shouldn't be making videos, play at home. This is really hard to watch. They need to hang it up. It's like watching that other thing a couple weeks ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Just gave the new album (via CD) a listen -- and IT ROCKS!

Deep Purple fans will want to get this one (their 23rd release over 56 years)  --  and there isn't a bad track on it.

Online reviewers are saying...

"Best album since Perfect Strangers"

"It will put smiles on the faces of those who enjoy old dudes rock’n’rollin’ like age is just a number."

" '= 1' doesn't throw any curves; this is Deep Purple sounding more like Deep Purple than they did on the records they released in the '80s and '90s.

"It’s heavy on the Hammond organ (presumably Jon Lord’s Hammond organ)"

It's been reported that "When Jon Lord retired, he: 'Left his Hammond organ to his replacement, rock keyboard veteran Don Airey'. So even one of the new boys has a clear link back to earlier versions."

"These seasoned veterans still have a knack for writing catchy hard rock tunes that find that perfect mix of boogie rock, bluesy guitar leads and organ bombast..."

"Deep Purple’s identifiable sound—part hard edged, blues based rock, melodic metal and even prog rock–which reaches back to 1970s classic In Rock, remains the blueprint for 2024s incarnation. This is now Deep Purple Mark lX for those keeping count."

As for me, I think it's great -- and I'm even MORE excited to see them in NH towards the end of August (with Yes opening).

Enjoy!

Old No7

DP = 1.jpg