Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP David Sanborn

His live album 'Straight To The Heart' was one of the first non-pop albums to find its way to me, and I can feel its influence in everything I play.

RIP Mr. Sanborn.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 5

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

I just saw this. I didn't realize he was 78 or that he was sick.  He influenced a ton of players I know. 

• Like 1

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Such a loss...

Gee, I always thought he was much younger than me...  We got introduced to him decades ago on a "smooth jazz" radio station that was the perfect background for, shall we say, consenting adults with time on their hands.

Old No7

• Like 3

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

I was in college when Night Music was being broadcast, and all the band nerds would watch each episode and analyze the hell out of them every weekend. I loved that his band was so open-minded and displayed so much joy playing with the incredible range of musicians that guested in the show. It really made me see what being a professional musician should be.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

So sad...another great one gone. From to Hideaway to A Change of Heart and the masterpiece with Bob James - Double Vision, David was a key part of my late 1970's through the 1980's influences. His late night show Night Music, was always a highlight.

Who else would play this on national TV?

We have lost another true talent.

Thoughts and prayers...

• Like 2

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

This is such a loss for all his fans, and of course his friends and family. I was hip to him from the Brecker Bros. Band, and from his very first solo album onward. No, I didn't know about his seminal time in the Paul Butterfield Blues Band until much later. But along with all the albums mentioned, he moved into a more organic, and dare I say musical phase of his career with albums like Upfront, Another Hand, Here and Gone and others. We tend to remember and revere the albums that came out during our more formative years, but every time I went to check out what he was doing, I was blown away by the musicality and depth as he continued his career.

Night Music was an amazing show, what an eclectic presentation of music, curated by the late Hal Wilner.

And are you hip to the online sessions Sanborn has been doing for a while now? Fabulous stuff!

The last time I saw him live was a while ago, but it was a great one: With a trio featuring the late Joey DeFrancesco. What a night!

R.I.P. Mr. Sanborn, and thanks for everything.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MathOfInsects said:

By the way, completely OT but Luther Vandross sings BV's on that tune.

Knew about Luther V., but didn't know that was Sanborn on sax. Iconic part.

One of m,y bands covers this tune, but it wasn't until today that I learned it was Sanborn on sax:

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

RIP Mr. Sanborn. So much great music. His solos always gave the song a wonderful lift. He influenced a lot of folks I played with. I saw him with the Joey DeFrancesco trio and they were incredible!

I think I first became aware of him when I had to know who played that killer sax solo on James Taylor’s How Sweet It Is…and that solo on Linda Ronstadt’s Oh Baby Baby…and  Al Jearreau’s Since I Feel For You…the list goes on and on!

• Like 1

I did not know he was ill, what a shock! 😔 He also didn’t look almost 80. But he had an incredible career. He had probably THE most recognizable sax timbre ever. 

Those Marcus Miller-produced and -penned albums are smooth jazz classics (even though he hated that word!). ”Chicago Song”, etc. 

And yes - he was like the unofficial third member of the Brecker Bros. horn section. Those guys play on a LOT of records. 

A few favorites tunes of mine:

”Lesley Ann”

”The Dream”

”Ain’t No Sunshine” (B. Withers) with Sting and Bill Frisell

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

By the way, completely OT but Luther Vandross sings BV's on that tune.

Did not know about either star on the Bowie track, so thank you (I knew Luther's work with Chic and others).

Cheers, Mike.

I had the great fortune for a summer when I was a teen to be see Stuff perform regularly at Joyous Lake in Woodstock, NY… when Michael Lang was first putting the band together (Steve Gadd, Richard Tee, Gordon Edwards, Eric Gale, Cornel Dupree, Chris Parker). Sanborn would usually be there sitting in. Some of the most incredible and unforgettable nights of my life. I can still viscerally feel the heat and the sweat and the pure joy in my bones.

19 hours ago, SteveNathan said:

Prostate Cancer has taken so many. 😕

I just finished a bout with it myself.  Luckily, we caught it early, and now I’m free of it - the prostate and the cancer.  Thank goodness for PSA blood tests. 😎

My doc sez 100% of all men will have it by the time we’re 80.  Those exams ain’t fun, but they can save your life.

dB

• Like 6
  • Wow! 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

On 5/13/2024 at 2:48 PM, Motif88 said:

the masterpiece with Bob James - Double Vision

Sad news. One of my favorite musicians. Seen him a couple of times; with Marcus Miller.  Double Vision is one of my favorite masterpieces.  His playing is absolutely brilliant on every track.  "Moon Tune" is almost like an ecm recording with Jan Garbarek.  Different than what we expect from him.  Bob James gave him a brilliant showcase to shine and Bob is brilliant, as well.  Also, Al Jarreau's  powerful performance with "Since I Fell For You".   RIP Dave.

• Love 1

RIP David and thanks for all the great music. David was one of the few musical heroes of mine that I met. It was at a concert in Laguna Beach 25 years ago, at an outdoor natural ampitheatre in one of the big hotel chains - great venue. The band featured many of David’s long time sidemen, including Hiram Bullock, Don Alias (both since gone) and Ricky Petersen. They opened the set with an extended version of Chicago Song. After the concert I and a couple of friends managed to say hello and thanks.

The other memorable thing about that concert was the location of Ricky’s Leslie - it was set up in the grass field adjacent to the stage, about 50 yards away, sitting on boxes and surrounded by mics.

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, VB3M, B3X, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

Hats-off. Mr. Sanborn will indeed be missed, but his music will definitely remain a great influence on the world of smooth jazz, and the saxophone in general.

• Like 1

For many decades, he was afforded the life that is a dream for many musicians especially within the Jazz community.  Thanks for the music.  RIP Mr. Sanborn.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Here's an early VHS transfer of the Bob Mintzer Big Band playing "Latin Dance". Sanborn takes an extended solo quite unlike the stuff he's famous for.  Grolnick  on piano, Will Lee bass guitar, Randy Brecker, Marvin Stamm, etc., etc.  What a line-up!

I want to pay tribute to another side of the man.

A good friend of mine from the Cal State jazz program I was part of is Alex, a young, very talented sax player (almost 40 years younger than me) here in the Bay Area. After finishing his bachelors in music, he was full of bebop, full of chops, full of theory. And truth be told, he was sort of wondering about direction, how to fit into non-bop (in other words, money earning) bands and situations. And he was a little confused and depressed about the whole thing.

He went to see Sanborn at Yoshi's, and after the first night hung out by the greeting table (where the band signs stuff and presses the flesh). Ends up the band takes a shine to young Alex, and Sanborn invites him back to the green room to hang with the band. And invites him to the next night's show comp'd, and to hang with the band backstage the next night too.

That weekend changed Alex's life. Sanborn and his band helped him understand how to navigate a full-time career in music as a sax player, how to approach life, other types of music besides straight jazz, and a lot of other stuff. After that weekend, Alex's whole demeanor changed - he was more confident, smiled a lot more - and his playing simply soared.

Sanborn didn't need to do that. It was a real kindness, and it really touched a young man's life at a really crucial stage of his development. I don't know if he ever knew how much an impact he made.

It should be known that's the kind of man David Sanborn was.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Along with Michael Brecker, David Sanborn was my biggest influence for sax tone in modern times, until you get into the late 80's and beyond, at which point Kenny Garret became my favorite sax player of all time. But Sanborn was on EVERYTHING; not just a jazz cat by any means. I bought all of his albums, even the very few of them that leaned towards nuwage. He never rested on his laurels; each album was a completely different aural experience.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I also wore out David Sanborn's early records, esp. Straight to the Heart. His studio band sounded so good even on their own and the tracks had such soul and grit, an ache even, that set them apart from the smooth jazz hordes IMO. I remember he categorized his music (at the time) as "instrumental R&B", which sounded right to me. His chord progressions were a huge influence. 

I also was a huge fan of David's work with the Letterman band and was very intrigued by the "Night Music" show.  Much thanks to those who posted videos.🙂

Thanks also to all who mentioned "Double Vision", I intend to give it another listen. RIP David Sanborn.

• Like 1