Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rick Beato goes ballistic thinking the public can't detect relative pitch errors.

It's a really weird rant.  Apparently people in his family can't tell when his son's guitar string goes out of tune so he's projecting it onto everyone in the public.

To me, everyone knows.  We're polite.    We just accept that, especially when little children are playing an out of tune violin or guitar at their concert.    And then there are obvious period pitch errors like this where everyone knows the tuning problem, but doesn't call the Attorney General's office in Fulton County:

• Love 1
  • Dislike 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

2 hours ago, jazzpiano88 said:

It's a really weird rant.  Apparently people in his family can't tell when his son's guitar string goes out of tune so he's projecting it onto everyone in the public.

To me, everyone knows.  We're polite.    We just accept that, especially when little children are playing an out of tune violin or guitar at their concert.    And then there are obvious period pitch errors like this where everyone knows the tuning problem, but doesn't call the Attorney General's office in Fulton County Georgia to try and get someone prosecuted and jailed:

You’re talking about his video, which is probably the objective. 

On the other hand, I think a large fraction of people probably aren’t that sensitive to pitch/timing/tone, etc. “Visually relatable” qualities a musician may have can go a long way in covering over lacks in other areas. 

Musicians assume that other people hear and understand what the musicians hear. They don't. I've had many conversations over many years with many people. Some people don't hear music at all. They just don't hear it. I mean it's just random sounds to them. Some people have no concept of how music is played, how it is made, what it even is. They don't perceive the structure, the beat, a melody. So it's not surprising that some people don't even understand the concept of something being out of tune. They may feel that something's wrong or that something sounds bad, they may make a face, but they don't know why they don't like the sound. Hearing something being in tune or out of tune is learned. And, as Rick Beato has apparently learned, even some trained musicians can't hear when something is out of tune.

One of my favorite stories is about a hairdresser friend who went to live music venues because that's where her friends went and that was her social life. She said she didn't like live music. She didn't understand it. To her it looked like the musicians weren't doing anything. She didn't see the point. In talking with her, it became evident that she had no concept of what music was, how it was made, what was involved in playing an instrument. It was just sounds to her and she didn't see what the deal was about live music. To her, it was the same thing as recorded music. It was just sounds.  

• Like 6
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I can't stand him, in my perception he's a smug cnt.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

send him tickets to a Chinese opera, throw in a Harry Partch album and a subscription to an Oud channel.

1 hour ago, Thethirdapple said:

As if equal is the only available tonal reference point… 

This. 12-tone equal tempered tuning is a cultural learnt thing, and it’s hardly a secret that musicians spend more time focused on learning it.  

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

1 hour ago, Thethirdapple said:

Whats wrong with this RB dude, tunings !?!? As if equal is the only available tonal reference point… 

And please i would really like for RB to stop exploiting his kids talents for clicks…

giving me really bad billy ray vibes!

PEACE

_
_
_

And showing off his kids for sure rubs off on him too, not going deeper into the psychology of these types of behaviours, but it fits very well in on the rest of his profile...

• Love 1

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

Some people just don't have good ears. Some don't know when their piano is out of tune.

I get more bent out of shape when someone plays an acoustic piano at a club that's in tune and bangs the hell out of it throwing it way out. 

good Halloween music here for your morning coffee

• Haha 2

:idk: people who don't play instruments typically don't listen actively.  they don't know and most likely don't care about what the players are trying to achieve (to be in tune, to be in time, to be in a pocket, etc.).  but, a lot of listeners can recognize what he shows at 2:39 (the C chord in and out of tune).  however, during a song it may pass by fairly quickly, and the audience is listening to the singer predominantly or the band as a whole, and they won't notice what experienced players are bothered by.   there's nothing wrong with Rick other than that A. he has perfect pitch and B. he cares, deeply.  those two facts are almost a curse.  ;)

2:39 - the chord is in tune or it's not.

ironically, just about every act in popular music is using pitch and time correction on their songs.  so clearly they must feel the audience is capable of noticing their flaws. but are they?  perhaps the problem there is they push artists who aren't ready to perform out expecting them to have careers.  and then the people who don't need it are pressured to do the same so as not to seem less than.  that's a crappy trend that has sucked the humanity out of pop.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

His sanctimonious analyses drive me crazy, I cannot listen to him.

-dj

• Like 1

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

Tuning is a pet peeve of mine, specifically guitars that go out.   People may not know *what* is wrong, but I reckon many or most people will know *something* is wrong when a vocal or instrument is out of tune.

Especially now that everyone has been conditioned to hear auto-tuned vocals.  iirc, Adele of all people caught some flack for being "off pitch" because she didn't use auto-tune on some record.  What a crock.   It's right up there with not having a "full sound" because you aren't adding a bunch of tracks to your "live" performance.

Unfortunately with all the outdoor shows we do especially it's a recurring theme.

• Like 1

Admittedly, I haven't bothered to watch the video. 

Just popped in to type an observation...

Rick Beato is going to become a millionaire if he isn't already.🤣😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I use hard correction on guitar solos so that when I bend strings or use a vibrato tailpiece, the pitch changes are quantized to semitones instead of a continuous bend. It's a novel effect, because I don't think anyone else has been weird enough to wonder "what happens if I use Waves Tune Real-Time on guitar?" And with slide guitar, you can program a scale so that all the notes fit the scale as you slide up and down the string.

Pitch correction is a fabulous tool for more than just propping up bad vocalists. So sue me :)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, niacin said:

The secret is out, Autotune must be fuming.

Someone needs to make a time machine so we can go back in time and stop Cher from recording Believe.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Rick Beato is going to become a millionaire if he isn't already.🤣😎

I don't know how much he makes but I read in a Wall Street Journal article that for his age and the age group he attracts to his content, he's one of the highest viewed youtubers/influencers channels. Very rare for his age group AND the demographic that they're selling ads for.

I don't get all the hate? I seriously thought everyone kinda liked this guy. There is relentless pressure to produce content in his world so I'll allow him a couple misses. He's had some episodes that I thought were really great and his interviews of some famous guys are well done IMHO.

Everyone is allowed to rant now and again, and in fact I'd say that a couple posts in this thread would qualify as proto-rants.

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

18 minutes ago, Iconoclast said:

I don't get all the hate? 

Shortly after the artist was born along came the critic.🤣

Some humans are funny when it comes to fame and notoriety. 

They don't give a sh8t about someone flying somewhere between obscurity and fame. 

Become successful or famous or both and just as there will be fans, the haters will show up too.😎

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

20 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Shortly after the artist was born along came the critic.🤣

Some humans are funny when it comes to fame and notoriety. 

They don't give a sh8t about someone flying somewhere between obscurity and fame. 

Become successful or famous or both and just as there will be fans, the haters will show up too.😎

It's not a coincidence that some people become super stars and some aren't, the biggest egos have a much straighter line to the top than anyone else, no matter what price they need to pay, they will do anything to get there...

In my work I often meet people working with very famous artists, behind them, tech staff etc. and they are without exception always very down to earth and humble people, it would never work else, there's only space for one ego at the top.

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

I usually like Beato.  He has some good insights and some opinions I agree with.  But I honestly bailed half way through the vid (I think I got the gist).  Dylan was practicing his guitar and Dylan was listening to a record and Dylan was playing in a show and Dylan was talking to Layla and Layla was listening to Dylan.....OK we get it!  Let's agree my kids aren't very interesting to you and your kids aren't very interesting to anyone else.

But more to the point.

1. I think most people can tell when an instrument is out of tune with itself (the degree of tuning drift will def determine the number of people who will notice it).
  2. Many people, including myself and MANY musicians I know would not notice an entire track that is a semi-tone sharp or flat, UNTIL they pick up an instrument and try to play along.  (Or if they have heard said song 800,000 times and it is burned in their DNA.)  
  3. Some people....a minority....simply can't tell from 2 notes a 3rd apart which one is higher and which is lower.  I've only met one or two people like this.  It's scary.  I think they are called drummers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anderton said:

I use hard correction on guitar solos so that when I bend strings or use a vibrato tailpiece, the pitch changes are quantized to semitones instead of a continuous bend. It's a novel effect, because I don't think anyone else has been weird enough to wonder "what happens if I use Waves Tune Real-Time on guitar?" And with slide guitar, you can program a scale so that all the notes fit the scale as you slide up and down the string.

Pitch correction is a fabulous tool for more than just propping up bad vocalists. So sue me :)

It’s an effect when used that way.  It’s cool, would you want it to be your signature sound and be on every recording you ever make?  Frampton surely didn’t want to use the talk box on everything.  But that’s what we’re getting with every vocal on every record in all popular styles.  

The thing about "influencers" is that their money is from views, and views are often driven by making people disagree with you (or at least the title you pick).   I'm sure some of them actually mean what they say, but their vested interest is in saying whatever gets eyeballs on their spiel.    Made-up example, "Is The Godfather actually one of the worst popular films ever made?"    I make a point to never click on any title asking a negative question like that.    And generally don't tune in to the more polished influencers with tons of subscribers like Beato.   Youtube for me is mostly how-to-fix stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ABECK said:

I usually like Beato.  He has some good insights and some opinions I agree with.  But I honestly bailed half way through the vid (I think I got the gist).  Dylan was practicing his guitar and Dylan was listening to a record and Dylan was playing in a show and Dylan was talking to Layla and Layla was listening to Dylan.....OK we get it!  Let's agree my kids aren't very interesting to you and your kids aren't very interesting to anyone else.

But more to the point.

1. I think most people can tell when an instrument is out of tune with itself (the degree of tuning drift will def determine the number of people who will notice it).
  2. Many people, including myself and MANY musicians I know would not notice an entire track that is a semi-tone sharp or flat, UNTIL they pick up an instrument and try to play along.  (Or if they have heard said song 800,000 times and it is burned in their DNA.)  
  3. Some people....a minority....simply can't tell from 2 notes a 3rd apart which one is higher and which is lower.  I've only met one or two people like this.  It's scary.  I think they are called drummers.

Most people have to be taught to differentiate between pitches.  Human beings have a WIDE span of familiarity and ability in this regard.  

There are people who have difficulty (at least at first) of recognizing the difference between pitch and volume, the difference between a higher and lower pitch, the difference between a M2 and a M7.    Between a tritone and a P4.  The quality of a 3 note chord.  Of a 4 note chord, etc. etc.  And then you have people with perfect pitch who just have to learn to give names to what they already hear.  I suppose it’s a surprise for those that find hearing pitch easy to discover that others’ perception of pitch can be so drastically different than one’s own.  

At the same time, how can the testimony of two people who are witnesses to an accident  be so different? 

• Dislike 1

His indignation is not that they (including his music playing kids) didn’t hear the out of tuneness, but that their response was somehow about having to know the song first before being able to render judgment. I find that very strange as well.

Or, as he says at the end, people are just not connecting the terminology of sharp & flat & tuning to what they can hear to be “bad” or unpleasant. [cue my rant about the death of arts education in schools]

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

3 hours ago, Anderton said:

t's a novel effect

3 hours ago, Docbop said:

Someone needs to make a time machine so we can go back in time and stop Cher from recording Believe.  

I don't have a problem with tuning being used as a creative effect. (Auto-tune was originally demo'ed using a Theremin!). But if it's the default on every pop record, it's lazy and uninspiring.

EDIT: @ElmerJFudd has posted something similar ahead of me.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, David R said:

His indignation is not that they (including his music playing kids) didn’t hear the out of tuneness, but that their response was somehow about having to know the song first before being able to render judgment. I find that very strange as well.

Or, as he says at the end, people are just not connecting the terminology of sharp & flat & tuning to what they can hear to be “bad” or unpleasant. [cue my rant about the death of arts education in schools]

Sure, to care about these things is to be deeply invested in music, a student of music making.  Educated, trained, experienced Musicians are musicians’ greatest fans and greatest critics. 

52 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

It’s an effect when used that way.  It’s cool, would you want it to be your signature sound and be on every recording you ever make?  Frampton surely didn’t want to use the talk box on everything.  But that’s what we’re getting with every vocal on every record in all popular styles.

What's worse is the more your hear pitch correction, the more you recognize when it's being used...which makes it even more annoying.