Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rick Beato goes ballistic thinking the public can't detect relative pitch errors.

7 hours ago, Docbop said:

So have to be careful some engineer/producers do have amazing ears.   

Of course they do. Producers who work with Elton John and TOP horns didn't get there because they can't hear stuff. I've worked with some excellent sound engineers who really know what they're doing and can make the band sound better. Then there's the guy who has the gear and thinks he's a sound engineer ...

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

23 hours ago, analogholic said:

This ability could be used to earn a living if nothing else in transcribing.  I'm sure Rick uses him to help on most of his analysis videos. 

• Dislike 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

On 4/19/2024 at 11:40 PM, Anderton said:

Probably not that much different from when I talked to a pro bowler. I know what he does for a living, but I confessed to him that I just didn't "get" bowling. I can't tell one nuance of bowling technique from another, and while I can appreciate that some level of skill is necessary to be a pro bowler, I can't tell a bowler with good form from one with bad form.🤣 

A bad bowler has a lower average than a good bowler (and final score in a competition) - it's a completely objective sport.    A bad musician often has much better objective metrics (e.g. sales)  than a good musician.   

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I have been saying ...this is not my favorite guy. I cringe when I see him kiss George Benson's feet and now he is wondering what is wrong with the rest of us. Except for his pitch perfect children of course.I suppose his solution is that we buy his materials ....I don't support him because then pretty soon he starts dominating the interview market....why should someone do an interview when Beato has already gotten to them ?  He can't seem to stop putting out this kind of crap. What is wrong with everyone? Except his own family.....no....I cannot support this !!!

• Love 1

On 4/19/2024 at 1:42 PM, Iconoclast said:

I don't know how much he makes but I read in a Wall Street Journal article that for his age and the age group he attracts to his content, he's one of the highest viewed youtubers/influencers channels. Very rare for his age group AND the demographic that they're selling ads for.

I don't get all the hate? I seriously thought everyone kinda liked this guy. There is relentless pressure to produce content in his world so I'll allow him a couple misses. He's had some episodes that I thought were really great and his interviews of some famous guys are well done IMHO.

Everyone is allowed to rant now and again, and in fact I'd say that a couple posts in this thread would qualify as proto-rants.

Most of the comments are good and extend what for me is an interesting topic.

Reading the hate is tiresome. My advice? Instead of spewing negativity, focus on being a better person and making music. That is something you can control. 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

RB is unfortunately an algorithmically successful content creator. The content he pushes reeks of “gatekeeper” mentality which drove me away from sheet music and “whats the correct way”… ugh

“But you too can be a real musician with 3 easy installment payments for my ear training course…”🤮

With so many available “channels” which actually explain subject matter without selling me further content, I tend to stay away from “opinion” based content pushed at me, which is otherwise fine for forums to ponder 😐

PEACE

_
_
_

• Like 1

When musical machines communicate, we had better listen…

http://youtube.com/@ecoutezpourentendre

Agreed, the vitriol is a bit much. Mr. Beato isn't a hell demon. He's just running a channel for money (like many do) and overall it's for the love of music.
I haven't seen many hard sells though I don't view him that often either.

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Thethirdapple said:

RB is unfortunately an algorithmically successful content creator. The content he pushes reeks of “gatekeeper” mentality which drove me away from sheet music and “whats the correct way”… ugh

“But you too can be a real musician with 3 easy installment payments for my ear training course…”🤮

With so many available “channels” which actually explain subject matter without selling me further content, I tend to stay away from “opinion” based content pushed at me, which is otherwise fine for forums to ponder 😐

PEACE

_
_
_

Realistically speaking, the video creators/YouTubers have to be satisfied with whatever they earn from the number of views and ads on their channel - which apparently isn’t much until you get into the millions of views.  So either the creator is independently wealthy and benevolent (which is not likely) or there is a product for sale or it’s simply self promotion for their own lesson studio.  There is nothing for free in our world.  

• Like 3

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

16 hours ago, jazzpiano88 said:

A bad bowler has a lower average than a good bowler (and final score in a competition) - it's a completely objective sport.  

Very good point, but it doesn't make me any less ignorant about bowling 🤣

I guess there are some objective elements in music. Like I really don't want to be able to detect AutoTune on voice  :)

On 4/19/2024 at 9:40 PM, Anderton said:

Probably not that much different from when I talked to a pro bowler. I know what he does for a living, but I confessed to him that I just didn't "get" bowling. I can't tell one nuance of bowling technique from another, and while I can appreciate that some level of skill is necessary to be a pro bowler, I can't tell a bowler with good form from one with bad form.🤣 

One thing that occurs to me is, most people have listened *every day* to anywhere from minutes, to more likely hours, of music, all their lives. Used to be LP's, then CD's, now streaming, but also radio, TV, films, commercials in all these media formats, music in stores, as well as deliberate choice in concerts. So most likely hours per day, all their lives. Very unlike bowling in that aspect. As contrasted with speech, which we all become conversant in at a young age, music is a language not everyone masters (in the sense of listening, not performing) - even simply the ability to hear individual instruments. Of course many non musicians can do that, but a sizable number can't.

I'm sure a lot of us have talked to someone at some point, who, when you point out, say, a cool bass line (that is not a solo part) in a pop tune, cannot hear it or recognize it even after you sing it to them and replay that part of the song. Imagine if they couldn't hear the object in the sentence "Can you see the piano" - they simply understood you are asking you are asking a question about music. if you said can you hear the difference with "Can you see the drums" they may or may not sense a difference between those two sentences. I don't think this is due to lack of musical training, as spoken language is complex yet learned by everybody without lessons. Hmmm, now that I said that, maybe the difference is there are speech lessons - whoever raises the child engages them in conversation. The analogy would be playing by ear with them, with them on several different instruments, and also seeing others doing the same, so, I guess I've thought my way out of this one - spoken language experience is much more pervasive for everyone than music. Still, I'd say music exposure is much more pervasive than bowling 🙂

On 4/20/2024 at 8:15 AM, adamcz said:

I think most non-musicians relate only to vocalists, song lyrics, and catchy beats.

Sounds like some very successful A&R guys from long ago and far away.

“For 50 years, it was like being chained to a lunatic.”

-- Kingsley Amis on the eventual loss of his libido

18 hours ago, mrk7421 said:

I have been saying ...this is not my favorite guy. I cringe when I see him kiss George Benson's feet and now he is wondering what is wrong with the rest of us. Except for his pitch perfect children of course.I suppose his solution is that we buy his materials ....I don't support him because then pretty soon he starts dominating the interview market....why should someone do an interview when Beato has already gotten to them ?  He can't seem to stop putting out this kind of crap. What is wrong with everyone? Except his own family.....no....I cannot support this !!!

One think about Beato is that I truly believe his interviews are mostly driven by his own curiosity, which is what I like.   He asks a lot of questions I would ask.   A lot of these people are his heros, which makes it difficult to not appear kissing someone's feet.     I mean where do you start when Pat Metheny or Sting agrees to sit down with you.  

I always thought Pat was avoiding Rick (Rick lamented not being able to get him)  for years before they hooked up because of possible incorrect assumptions Rick had made out him in prior videos.    So when Pat tells Rick that *he* is honored to sit down with him and loves his channel, I'm like "WHOA".   THAT'S SOME DEEP PRAISE, from PM, who isn't prone to giving praise to ANYONE not at the top of their game.  

If you're really objectively or subjectively judging quality of interviews, I'd love to hear why you think that the existing and prior media establishment is so great compared to Rick?    To me they are almost always a combination of superficial dumbed down information and triteness designed to elicit some sort of news snippet by someone who typically shuts down the press.  And their editor typically limits their word count or video time.   And don't point me to the guys who have been fired by the press and are trying to re-create their deal on a podcast to pay their rent like Boboto-TopJob did last month. 

So tell me where should I go for 2024 interviews that you will vouch for and support for both quality and quantity of people?    

• Like 1

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

11 minutes ago, jazzpiano88 said:

One think about Beato is that I truly believe his interviews are mostly driven by his own curiosity, which is what I like.   He asks a lot of questions I would ask.   A lot of these people are his heros, which makes it difficult to not appear kissing someone's feet.   

I would agree that RB is living out his life's dreams with the people he's been interviewing lately, because they are really not the big draws of his target demographic.   RB's strength is he's mastered YouTube marketing and monetization in what he creates for his target audience,   he's even mentored others on how to build up their YouTube channels.   A lot of approaches he uses are similar to a big name Jazz guitarist who was on the early money maker teaching online.   He knew what to say to draw in a similar demographic as to who RB targets.    That why I see what RB is up to.    I liked RB early on, but then started noticing him changing his approach to same at the Jazz guitarist I mentioned and that's when I  losing interest in RB and don't don't watch much of his YT's anymore.   RB reminds me of the old days of late night TV and the infomercials selling Ginsu knives and food choppers it all marketing game playing. 

30 minutes ago, Docbop said:

A lot of approaches he uses are similar to a big name Jazz guitarist who was on the early money maker teaching online.   He knew what to say to draw in a similar demographic as to who RB targets.    That why I see what RB is up to.   

Can you be less secretive?   Is it Al DiMeola?    Al pioneered the concept of drawing in unsuspecting older musicians to pay for a home made Italian Meal and 1-1 guitar lesson and demonstration.   I have heard that he is being brought up on charges in The Netherlands for violating the Human Rights of Googlers who were talked down from suicide after  Al saying he hates Major Chords in response to a Google Employee in Google Talks Online.    He may have gone into hiding. 

If this is all true I can see why you think Rick is up to no good. 

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

1 hour ago, jazzpiano88 said:

Can you be less secretive?   Is it Al DiMeola?    Al pioneered the concept of drawing in unsuspecting older musicians to pay for a home made Italian Meal and 1-1 guitar lesson and demonstration.   I have heard that he is being brought up on charges in The Netherlands for violating the Human Rights of Googlers who were talked down from suicide after  Al saying he hates Major Chords in response to a Google Employee in Google Talks Online.    He may have gone into hiding. 

If this is all true I can see why you think Rick is up to no good. 

No, not Al DiMeola s much old Jazz guitarist. Because of other crap he's done after losing his first online school I really don't want to say his name.   Funny though he had to guest Jazz guitarist do a few lessons on his school.   The one was really great and I later started taking lesson with them and studied with them for over five years.   So I guess I shouldn't be so mad at him. <grin>

On 4/19/2024 at 12:58 AM, J.F.N. said:

I can't stand him, in my perception he's a smug cnt.

A friend of mine was communicating with him outside YouTube (either email or chat) a couple years ago and said he came across as a total a-hole.

It cracks me up every time he's critiquing the current Top 10 and will like a song just because there's a guitar on it. 🤣

• Haha 1

On 4/19/2024 at 1:17 PM, stoken6 said:

I don't have a problem with tuning being used as a creative effect. (Auto-tune was originally demo'ed using a Theremin!). But if it's the default on every pop record, it's lazy and uninspiring.

EDIT: @ElmerJFudd has posted something similar ahead of me.

Cheers, Mike.

Yeah...Auto-Tune, trap beats, and the I-V-vi-IV chord progression aren't inherently horrible in themselves - it's their over-use that makes them horrible.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, elsongs said:

Yeah...Auto-Tune, trap beats, and the I-V-vi-IV chord progression aren't inherently horrible in themselves - it's their over-use that makes them horrible.

But isn't that a constant going back forever.     Some music become popular,  people imitate it to make a buck, then people complain about it's over use.   

13 hours ago, Docbop said:

RB's strength is he's mastered YouTube marketing and monetization in what he creates for his target audience,   he's even mentored others on how to build up their YouTube channels.  

I noticed recently he's got a second Youtube channel.  Rick Beato 2 (creative).  Now when I go to watch a new vid, I get greeted with an advertisement to go to the other channel.  Why Rick?  I'm here.  Why would I go there?  (It plays like an overt trick to gather more clicks.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ABECK said:

I noticed recently he's got a second Youtube channel.  Rick Beato 2 (creative).  Now when I go to watch a new vid, I get greeted with an advertisement to go to the other channel.  Why Rick?  I'm here.  Why would I go there?  (It plays like an overt trick to gather more clicks.)

Let it go, man… some of you cats are so lost in your darkness that you have completely lost your sense of humor.  Don’t you realize that this is a humorous video that Rick intentionally made (tongue in cheek) that relates to how we are conditioned to hear?  My god!

Why tear down good people? I know Rick. He is a good man. He is an educator.

So what if he is successful? Let’s rejoice in a musician who is doing good work and getting information out to young musicians… along with securing interesting interviews with our major musical influencers that you and I could never dream of getting.

Some of us make it, and some of us don’t. No reason to be so negative. . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

27 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

Let it go, man… Why tear down good people? I know Rick. He is a good man. He is an educator.

So what if he is successful? Let’s rejoice in a musician who is doing good work and getting information out to young musicians, and securing interesting interviews with our major musical influencers that you and I could never dream of getting.

This...

I'll skip the overthinking and psychoanalysis. Take the good from RB's posts/interviews. 

• Like 1

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

44 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

Let it go, man… some of you cats are so lost in your darkness that you have completely lost your sense of humor.  Don’t you realize that this is a humorous video that Rick intentionally made (tongue in cheek) that relates to how we are conditioned to hear?  My god!

Why tear down good people? I know Rick. He is a good man. He is an educator.

So what if he is successful? Let’s rejoice in a musician who is doing good work and getting information out to young musicians… along with securing interesting interviews with our major musical influencers that you and I could never dream of getting.

What would you like me to let go of?  I simply made an observation about a second channel, which I assumed was a technique to generate more clicks.  In previous comments in this thread, I've indicated that I typically like Beato's content.  And I do.  

• Like 1

Rhetorical question: Why, after watching one of Rick's videos, do I feel like I've been whacked across the head with an old leather pouch filled with Wild Turkey?

When I sit through a musical instruction or debate piece, feeling punch-drunk afterwards undermines the point.

If your words don't make enough of an impression, yelling at me like a trashy American tourist bellowing English at an Italian gentleman won't help. 🙄😵‍💫

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

8 minutes ago, ABECK said:

What would you like me to let go of?  I simply made an observation about a second channel, which I assumed was a technique to generate more clicks.  In previous comments in this thread, I've indicated that I typically like Beato's content.  And I do.  

The way you make it sound is like he is just using this to create “clicks”. How about sticking to the subject at hand instead of suggesting some nefarious motive from Rick?

There is a group of people on Keyboard Corner who seem to live in negativity instead of contributing to intellectual discussion about music and its affect on us and our culture. I believe that they enjoy being instigators and for some strange reason enjoy when people like me have to pipe in to defend our colleagues and friends.  Many long time members of KC have left this forum precisely due to this. Expect more to leave if this keeps up. 

6 minutes ago, David Emm said:

Rhetorical question: Why, after watching one of Rick's videos, do I feel like I've been whacked across the head with an old leather pouch filled with Wild Turkey?

When I sit through a musical instruction or debate piece, feeling punch-drunk afterwards undermines the point.

If your words don't make enough of an impression, yelling at me like a trashy American tourist bellowing English at an Italian gentleman won't help. 🙄😵‍💫

i guess you are a masochist. Just change the channel. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

The way you make it sound is like he is just using this to create “clicks”. How about sticking to the subject at hand instead of suggesting some nefarious motive from Rick?

Nefarious?  No - an honest question.  Why have a second channel?  My assumption is more clicks for more revenue.  Rick himself has talked openly about how to turn content creation into a viable business model. 

8 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

There is a group of people on Keyboard Corner who seem to live in negativity instead of contributing to intellectual discussion about music and its affect on us and our culture. I believe that they enjoy being instigators and for some strange reason enjoy when people like me have to pipe in to defend our colleagues and friends.  Many long time members of KC have left this forum precisely due to this. Expect more to leave if this keeps up. 

I'm assuming somehow you include me in that "group", as you have tacked it onto my quoted post.  As a 20+ year member of this forum, I strongly disagree and will let my past interactions speak for themselves.