Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rick Beato goes ballistic thinking the public can't detect relative pitch errors.

1 hour ago, ABECK said:

Nefarious?  No - an honest question.  Why have a second channel?  My assumption is more clicks for more revenue.  Rick himself has talked openly about how to turn content creation into a viable business model. 

I'm assuming somehow you include me in that "group", as you have tacked it onto my quoted post.  As a 20+ year member of this forum, I strongly disagree and will let my past interactions speak for themselves.  

yeah… I am surprised as well. I would think that people who have been contributors to KC for as long as you and I would know better. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

23 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

i guess you are a masochist. Just change the channel. 

HAH! :rocker: No way! "Hi, my name is David and I'm a synthaholic." Crowd: "Hi David, praise Moog."

Your eyes have a look that bewitches

The last time I needed forty stitches

Gouge out my eye

Set fire to my tie as we dance to the Masochism Tango!

~ "The Masochism Tango," Tom Lehrer

• Haha 1

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

37 minutes ago, ABECK said:

Why have a second channel?  My assumption is more clicks for more revenue.  Rick himself has talked openly about how to turn content creation into a viable business model. 

I'm sure your assumption is correct. Imagine that, a musician using the avenues available to him or her to try and make a living doing what they enjoy. To some people (not you ABECK, I'm speaking in general terms!), this is somehow a bad thing? More power to him.

If you don't like someone's youtube content there's a perfect way to deal with it - don't watch it! If someone starts a thread here about a video RB posted, don't click on it! Why do some feel the need to comment about how much they don't like the guy? If you don't agree with a premise he puts forth and want to make some points in opposition, that's a great way to start a discussion and what forums like this are for - but it seems like some can't resist crossing a line into ad hominems. For the record and especially in this thread, I think I've see more of the former than the latter - but it happens enough to be a topic on its own, since some variations pop up in almost every thread I've seen that has RB as a subject.

I watched some of that video. I wouldn't call it a rant; more a misunderstanding of what "out of tune" means and how a trained musician might misinterpret what lay people think about in terms of "tuning." I'm guessing some interpreted that as a kind of elitist "why can't you all hear this" viewpoint; I didn't. I actually think anybody can hear an out-of-tune component inside an otherwise in-tune performance - like the flat guitar string that Ricks family immediately recognises as being out-of-tune as soon as he clarifies what he means by "out of tune."

OK so this particular RB video might not appeal to some or ruffle others' feathers a bit - but can you imagine your mortgage payment dependent on cranking out multiple videos every week of the year, year after year? If I were to ask anybody here if they could come up with good topics to make 5 - 15 minute long videos about, twice a week, continuously for a few years, how many of us could do it? Not to mention the time involved editing them. I've done some of this myself - it f%$king took me HOURS to make 15 - 20 minute long videos for an online kids' music course I did during the pandemic. Try it sometime!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CyberGene said:

Not to preach but watching YouTube, especially stuff like multi-million-sub channels, is bad. It’s the new TV. Do you mindlessly watch TV?

Awhile back the biggest subscriber channels on YT were gaming and gaming tech channels since then things spread out more.   Below is the Wiki page on top 50 site and country of origin the top site 263 million subscribers then Mr Beast just under that is biggest in the USA. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most-subscribed_YouTube_channels

15 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

I'm sure your assumption is correct. Imagine that, a musician using the avenues available to him or her to try and make a living doing what they enjoy. To some people (not you ABECK, I'm speaking in general terms!), this is somehow a bad thing? More power to him.

Anyone who can make a buck, no less a living, publishing web content, more power to them is right.  It's the wild west out there and people have to figure out what will work (unless you are a hot chick...then the money just falls in your lap - only half kidding).  Rick has done some great videos, from interviews to song analysis and so forth.  I like his stuff. 

As a consumer, I don't want to go to multiple channels for essentially the same content.  But if it works for him, then kudos to being savvy.  No love lost.  I'll still click on his vids that catch my attention.  

To digress back to the OT - Since I picked up guitar 4 some odd years ago, I am now much better at hearing when certain strings aren't properly in-tune.  Before I would see guitarists make small adjustments to their tuners when playing and would think - what are they hearing!!??    Now I can hear it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ABECK said:

Since I picked up guitar 4 some odd years ago, I am now much better at hearing when certain strings aren't properly in-tune.  Before I would see guitarists make small adjustments to their tuners when playing and would think - what are they hearing!!??    Now I can hear it.

Exactly. Hearing out-of-tune is a learned thing. And the more you learn it, the more you can hear it. 

• Like 2
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

7 hours ago, Docbop said:

Below is the Wiki page on top 50 site and country of origin the top site 263 million subscribers then Mr Beast just under that is biggest in the USA.    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most-subscribed_YouTube_channels

Interesting.   I'm happy to say I've never watched videos from any of those channels!   🙂   Well, actually, I watched one Mr Beast vid to see what all the fuss was about - one was more than enough!

On 4/19/2024 at 4:15 PM, David R said:

His indignation is not that they (including his music playing kids) didn’t hear the out of tuneness, but that their response was somehow about having to know the song first before being able to render judgment. I find that very strange as well.

As did I. What a strange concept...

12 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

OK so this particular RB video might not appeal to some or ruffle others' feathers a bit - but can you imagine your mortgage payment dependent on cranking out multiple videos every week of the year, year after year? If I were to ask anybody here if they could come up with good topics to make 5 - 15 minute long videos about, twice a week, continuously for a few years, how many of us could do it? Not to mention the time involved editing them. I've done some of this myself - it f%$king took me HOURS to make 15 - 20 minute long videos for an online kids' music course I did during the pandemic. Try it sometime!

Perfectly put :thu:

On 4/22/2024 at 4:21 AM, elsongs said:

Yeah...Auto-Tune, trap beats, and the I-V-vi-IV chord progression aren't inherently horrible in themselves - it's their over-use that makes them horrible.

My slight nuance on that: trap is of course a valid rhythmic style, and the Axis progression the basis of many great songs - but lazy overuse of them is not acceptable. I would put "Autotune as a creative effect" in the same bucket - "Believe" was at least innovative, even if you don't enjoy the resulting song/product.

"Autotune as an effect most people wouldn't notice" is like covering your food in salt and spices - you can't discern the quality of the underlying ingredients.

Cheers, Mike.

15 hours ago, David Emm said:

Your eyes have a look that bewitches

The last time I needed forty stitches

Gouge out my eye

Set fire to my tie as we dance to the Masochism Tango!

~ "The Masochism Tango," Tom Lehrer

:thu: for Tom Lehrer. If you enjoy that song, check out UK comedienne Victoria Wood's "The Ballad of Barry and Freda", for a uniquely British take on related subject matter:

Cheers, Mike.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, stoken6 said:

My slight nuance on that: trap is of course a valid rhythmic style, and the Axis progression the basis of many great songs - but lazy overuse of them is not acceptable. I would put "Autotune as a creative effect" in the same bucket - "Believe" was at least innovative, even if you don't enjoy the resulting song/product.

"Autotune as an effect most people wouldn't notice" is like covering your food in salt and spices - you can't discern the quality of the underlying ingredients.

Cheers, Mike.

That reminded me of class in multi-threaded computer programming I took AGES ago.    In the end the instructor said....   Programming with threads is like cooking with salt,  I little can really enhance an dish,  too much can ruin the whole meal.     You could just replace "Programming in threads" with "using autotune" and it really sums it up.    

I view autotune the same as I do  quantization and that is  perfect is boring.