Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What’s your favourite or most useful iPad/iphone app?

Release of the Nerd Synth and a recent purchase of Korg’s iM1 got me thinking about IPad apps. Already been a lengthy topic on the subject of iPad as a device for making music and gigging with a controller keyboard. It’s no secret that I’m a fan of the iPad and this is something I dabbled with since the first iPad and really got into when Korg released iMs-20. I was blown away by the sound and features in this tiny thin tablet.

I now use a 9th gen iPad for dabbling and have an M2 pro for serious work, but both have a growing library of apps, some of which never get opened.

Pairing the iPad with the Korg Keystage has reignited my love of the iPad controller combo so I wondered how others use iPads/iPhone and what their ‘go to’ apps are. For me, it has to be Module (with quite a few in app sound sets) if I just want to play around with splits and layers, as a rehearsal board, or even a top ‘bread and butter’ board above a stage piano, but I also love Animoog Z for how crazy it is.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

I think I’ve been touting AUM for years. It’s one of the most all-encompassing and for me, well designed of all the host type apps out there. On the pure music side, I’d say my go to is B-3x, but Pure Synth Platinum is right up there. PSP can get you everything from the Rhodes in NeoSoul Keys to fun synths. The only problem is its somewhat clunky interface. It takes a bit of sound design on the user’s end, but it’s all in there for those of us who are never satisfied with presets. 

• Like 2

Here for the gear.

Hands down. GSI VB3m on the iphone!  The house keyboard at a place i play quite often is a Yamaha P-125.  Decent piano sound, but absolute crap organ.  I plug 1 USB cable into the piano from the iphone, turn local off on the yamaha and boom! instant B3 sounds come out of the p125.. My load in/load out is 1 USB cable. Best 15 bucks i ever spent.

• Like 2

AUM and B3-X.

Those two are used on every gig right now, but I'll be incorporating a few more instrument apps as I set up a 1-board rig. Getting ready for a few tough load-ins on the schedule this summer.

• Like 1

I've acquired countless iPad music apps over the past dozen years. The ones I use the most are:

Symphony Pro: for creating and editing sheet music using my preferred method of direct touch input (currently buggy - I'm a beta tester for the long-overdue update)

forScore: for displaying PDF sheet music

OnSong: for displaying text chord charts which I can instantly change to any key

Amazing Slow Downer: for practicing with tracks which I can slow down/retune/loop (I wish there was a similar app that supported multiple tracks with mix/pan/mute/solo)

Let's Unmix: for separating recordings into vocal/drum/bass/piano/other tracks

liveBPM: for detecting the tempo of recordings and real-time performances

I've used a bunch of iPad apps for sound generation in gigs, most recently Zeeon, GeoShred and SWAM Trumpet. I've started trying to recreate the many custom song multis from my Kurzweil PC4 in case it's broken or unavailable. The simple option is Korg Module Pro which has good-quality sounds but limited switch/layer/control. My more complex option is AUM which has nearly unlimited configuration and access to high-quality AUv3 sound apps such as Pianoteq, Hammond B-3X and emulations of many classic synths.

Kurzweil PC4, Expressive E Osmose, UNO Synth Pro, Hammond B-3X on iPad, Rhodes Mark II Stage 73, ART 710-A MK4s

I really need to look into AUM to get around my gripes with Module Pro not allowing other Korg apps to be integrated (Like Gadget does). I’m not gigging, so not an issue right now but, considering that Module Pro can struggle with polyphony, has anyone had issues on a standard iPad (mine is 9th gen) running multiple apps simultaneously in AUM, within reason of course?

Saying that, you can stack 16 Korg gadgets on one midi channel…haven’t tried that yet.

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

Long time fan of Drum Genius better feel than a drum machine I use it for practice.    The one I recently downloaded is called Koala its a sampler and beat maker that a lot of people are talking about these days.

• Like 2

SwiftScan is nice - scans rapidly, auto crops, adjusts for flatness of paper,  saves locally and/or to cloud storage.   Can save as PDF or JPG.   I paid like $4.99 for it once and although they have attempted to bloat the app and add features for an upgrade price.  I ignore.  It does all I need as is.  

• Cool 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

2 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

I really need to look into AUM to get around my gripes with Module Pro not allowing other Korg apps to be integrated (Like Gadget does). I’m not gigging, so not an issue right now but, considering that Module Pro can struggle with polyphony, has anyone had issues on a standard iPad (mine is 9th gen) running multiple apps simultaneously in AUM, within reason of course?

Saying that, you can stack 16 Korg gadgets on one midi channel…haven’t tried that yet.

9th Gen seems to be about bullet proof for running lots of apps in one session of AUM. IDK the limit but I'm guessing more than 10, possibly 20 for all I know it could handle lots more. I'm sure it depends on the efficiency of the apps and effects apps you run. B3x gave me problems once when I had the sample rate mismatched between the app and aum. That problem hasn't reoccured  but I have been running b3x outside of AUM out of habit anyways. At some point I'm going to get all in there with using b3x in aum and put in an elaborate left/right split so the left hand doesn't duck the right because I get some of that. Also I want the left hand outside the leslie or at least independent leslies on both sides of the split. 

• Like 1

FunMachine.

I love the sound of Ravenscroft for IOS but I find that, if I play quick passages, it lags too much, no matter what settings and even on the latest IOS devices. This is why I always return to hardware. The playability is always better. YMMV. 

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

To my ears

Neo Soul Keys Rhodes

Pianoteq acoustic piano

and

VB3 organ

are far better than any hardware emulations out there..

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

4 hours ago, Jwave said:

I've started trying to recreate the many custom song multis from my Kurzweil PC4 in case it's broken or unavailable.

I've thought of doing something similar. I would love to be completely free of any one keyboard, and be able to use the iPad with anything available and still recreate my rig.

Is anyone else using Cubasis? I don't see much discussion about it as a traffic cop for all your sound apps. This guy is a very good explainer.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

23 minutes ago, The Piano Man said:

I love the sound of Ravenscroft for IOS but I find that, if I play quick passages, it lags too much, no matter what settings and even on the latest IOS devices. This is why I always return to hardware. The playability is always better. YMMV. 

Either you're extremely sensitive to latency or there might be a problem with your setup - with Ravenscroft (which I havent tried) or maybe something in the chain of software to audio output (or the audio device, if you use an external one). I'm mainly a piano player and all my local gigs are on an iPad 9G with a 64 or 128 buffer. I hear no discernable latency, using Virsyn's AudioLayer inside AUM. Could be me for sure, but I don't feel any lagging at all.

On topic - the apps that make iOS music-making happen for me are AUM, Midiflow, Streambyter, and the aforementioned AudioLayer - a quite full-featured sampler that reads Logic .exs instruments. My piano is an older Native Intruments piano I used Logic's autosampler to render to .exs, then imported to AudioLayer in my iPad and iPhone. I love it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reezekeys said:

Either you're extremely sensitive to latency or there might be a problem with your setup - with Ravenscroft (which I havent tried) or maybe something in the chain of software to audio output (or the audio device, if you use an external one). I'm mainly a piano player and all my local gigs are on an iPad 9G with a 64 or 128 buffer. I hear no discernable latency, using Virsyn's AudioLayer inside AUM. Could be me for sure, but I don't feel any lagging at all.

On topic - the apps that make iOS music-making happen for me are AUM, Midiflow, Streambyter, and the aforementioned AudioLayer - a quite full-featured sampler that reads Logic .exs instruments. My piano is an older Native Intruments piano I used Logic's autosampler to render to .exs, then imported to AudioLayer in my iPad and iPhone. I love it.

Interesting. I would love if there was a solution. Any other Ravenscroft IOS users having success on fast passages?

My setup is iPad Pro 1st gen into a Korg Plugkey into an old Technics P30 stage piano but have had the same issue with other keyboard controllers. And have also tried an iPhone 12.

I will give Korg Module a try in order to rule in/out Ravenscroft as an issue.

I will also try Ravenscroft using Camera Connection Kit, thereby ruling in/out the Plugkey as an issue. 

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

I was checking out the new Nerd  app that is being discussed on another thread and I wasn't sure but I thought it felt slightly latent. I checked the apps buffers and it was defaulted to 512. I reset to the extreme low buff of 64 and got no glitches and the slight latency got even slighter. Like no latency . Check your buffers within the app.

FunMachine.

6 hours ago, Docbop said:

Long time fan of Drum Genius better feel than a drum machine I use it for practice.    

Do you have any insight into this app?  They keep hyping "real drummer" in their ads, and name drop all these famous players (many of whom are dead). As far as i can tell it's some guy with a keyboard programming famous beats into a sequencer?  Hope i'm wrong about that.  Who (if anyone) is actually playing real drums on these?

For those with lag, try restarting the iPad and then turn WiFi and Bluetooth off. Also close any unused apps. Made a noticeable difference for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Baldwin Funster said:

I was checking out the new Nerd  app that is being discussed on another thread and I wasn't sure but I thought it felt slightly latent. I checked the apps buffers and it was defaulted to 512. I reset to the extreme low buff of 64 and got no glitches and the slight latency got even slighter. Like no latency . Check your buffers within the app.

Yes, check settings and adjust buffer, just as it's done in a DAW etc. I run all audio apps on 32 samples on my iPad (M1), which is lowest possible for me (I guess it depends on the audio interface).

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

ForScore - on iPad, best for charts

iRealPro - on all platforms, 21st-century Jamie Aebershold, and convenient for quickly scratching out chord charts in a pinch

Metronome - both Phone and iPad, indispensable

LiveBPM - measures BPM's of whatever the phone mic picks up

MiniPianoLite - when you don't have a keyboard but quickly need to find a key of something that's playing on the radio or for a singer

VocalEase4U - awesome vocal coaching app by the great Arnold McCuller

I have many more, but those are the ones that see the most use.

• Like 1

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

4 hours ago, D. Gauss said:

Do you have any insight into this app?  They keep hyping "real drummer" in their ads, and name drop all these famous players (many of whom are dead). As far as i can tell it's some guy with a keyboard programming famous beats into a sequencer?  Hope i'm wrong about that.  Who (if anyone) is actually playing real drums on these?

From the website.....   "All the drum loops have been realized by Mauro Battisti using a master keyboard and drum libraries"

He also has "Study Tools" on his site including bass and piano transcriptions.    https://www.projazzlab.com/study-tools/#drumgenius-transcriptions

I’m addicted to Korg’s apps: Module with many IAP (Synthogy, Scarbee, KAPro…), Gadget, iM1. Use them for music production and rehearsals. I use also Cubasis 3 a lot. Then a bit of Beathawk and iMPC Pro 2 to craft nice drums. 
iReal pro and Anytune for practicing and learning new tunes.

9 hours ago, Docbop said:

From the website.....   "All the drum loops have been realized by Mauro Battisti using a master keyboard and drum libraries"

Ha! So no actual drummers were harmed in the making of these.  

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, D. Gauss said:

Ha! So no actual drummers were harmed in the making of these.  

Or, quite the opposite! 🤣

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

Forscore and LiveBPM when I think the drummer is rushing things, lol.  

• Like 1

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

11 minutes ago, Polkahero said:

LiveBPM when I think the drummer is rushing things, lol.  

Anybody remember the old, pre DAW Russian/Dragon studio box/argument settler?  You fed it 2 signals and it compared them, with LEDs telling you who was rushing and who was dragging:

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Cool 1
  • Haha 1