Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What genre of music is your bane?

RABid

Keys - I was trained on classical music and enjoyed it. Spent my time playing pop, rock and new age in bands and did well. Will admit that ragtime pushed me to the limits. But the genre, or style, that makes my mind go numb is old style gospel hymns. The music that so many old ladies (and men) knock out every Sunday with no problem just confounds me. Playing 3 notes with the left hand and 4 with the right, at the same time, on every note that is sung. It is like my mind does not want to stretch around that many notes. For me this music is much harder than Bach 3 parts or Beethoven sonatas. It is truly like I look at that music and have a mental block. It makes me understand how some of my classmates felt in physics and calculus. 

Drums - I remember years ago when the forum had a very busy thread on American Idol. Every season, during country week, the conversation would turn to how those great LA musicians couldn't pull it off. A lot of music pushes the beat, but old school country pulls the beat. It is a different feel. A feel that I have always had trouble with as a drummer. I can be passable if I really concentrate and don't drift into my own little world. But, too often I loose focus and can hear myself drifting out of the groove. I hate playing country music because I feel like pretender. 

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Two hours, and you're kind of hanging out there like a sheet in the wind...  🙂

I wasn't sure what you meant by bane - hate the sound of it?  hate playing it?  afraid of it?  unable to play it?   etc.    Not sure if I have a bane.   There's some genres that, if I never heard them again in my life, it wouldn't bother me.   But it could be some other forum member's favourite, so I think I'd rather keep that to myself.   There's some genres I'm better at, so l try to stick to those.   Not much of an answer...  

• Cool 1

Playing: Romantic-era piano.  It blows my mind to listen to it, but between my little hands and limited talent I don't think I will ever be able to play any of the repertoire.

Listening: I can take almost everything but rap, death metal, and certain 20th century pseudo-serious music such as Cage, Crumb, Schoenberg, and Bebop.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

4 hours ago, timwat said:

Songs whose titles begin with a vowel, written by two composers, both of whose third letters in their respective surnames are consonants. 

I really hate those.

I've got "Eleonor Rigby (Lennon/McCartney)" on my answer sheet. Does that win anything?

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Opera is one of the few styles of music for which I change the channel when it comes on the radio.

As a keyboard player, funky Clav style is the kind of playing I dread the most: I think I sound like I am stumbling, instead of funky.  Weirdly enough, those around me end up saying "I want to hear more of that".

Still not sure if this is about music that we love but fear to play. Or just music that we hate 😀

If it’s the former, I actually fear all the music because I am afraid I’m not good enough for anything 😕

If it’s just for the h8. The first that comes to mind is Reggaeton, it makes me pretty aggressive about why that music is so popular and what that means for humanity.

P.S. BTW, I came up with a third category: music that I love and that I am completely unable to produce myself. Like this one. It’s just so beautiful and weird at the same time, and I simply admire how one can create something so unorthodox. I’d give a kidney to be able to do so:

• Like 1

I think it'd be simpler to tell you what I can play rather than what I can't--one list is a lot shorter than the other!

I'm usually up for trying anything, though, as a player or a listener--even if it's something that I'm bad at, or that I dislike.  Every now and the I surprise myself.  It keeps life interesting.

Playing-wise, just about anything that isn't fairly simple rock.  I can't read music and the chords from something like Peg cause my head to spin.

Programming-wise, I wouldn't be able to stomach modern pop.  I have no patience for doing 6 splits with samples just right and won't play in a band that runs tracks.  Uptown Funk etc would just be onerous.   Classic rock has songs with lots of sounds too but I just ignore most of them in favor for "the essence" whatever that is.

12 hours ago, Floyd Tatum said:

... I wasn't sure what you meant by bane - hate the sound of it?  hate playing it?  afraid of it?  unable to play it?   etc.    ...  

Music that either defeats you or constantly fights back when you play it. Either something you have to practice 5 times longer to play or you struggle to fit into the grove.

• Like 1

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I just think that you are born with certain abilities.  Also playing other styles requires you live in that world.  I tell guys all the time as far as playing Reggae is concerned it isn't all about the music but the history, food, and culture of Jamaica.  If you understand that it helps to get perspective.  I will never be a straight ahead jazz player because that isn't the instinct I was born with.  I can grasp some of it for my own playing but it would be forcing a fit at this age. 

• Like 2

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I guess the question itself doesn't really compute for me.  Playing music that challenges you makes you a better player even when you, objectively speaking, fail at it. 

If the question is what sort of music is most annoying to listen to, top of my list would be today's version of "elevator music," by which I mean, literally, the music you hear in most elevators. I'm thinking of the watered down techno-soul in every DC/NYC hotel I visit that's supposed to make you feel like you're going to open the door to your room and see scantily clad girls and champagne.  It's crap music bearing a false promise.   Can't get out of those elevators fast enough.

Give me good old fashioned elevator music . . . cheesy Hammond organ versions of On a Clear Day. 

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I would never play reggaeton, bachata, or merengue. I really hate them. 

NS4 73HA, Yamaha CK61, Korg C1 Air, Roland TD1-DMK, Harley Benton TalkBox, Sony F-760 dynamic microphone, Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen, M-Audio Track Duo, MacBook Air M1, Logic Pro X, Kontakt 7, Mainstage, Cubasis 3 (IOS), Korg Module (IOS),

Hate anything that involves the word Metal or Shredding, can't stand it so would never play it.   Not a fan of what people call Prog  don't hate it like Metal just it never did anything for me.   I sold a ton of Genesis, Tull and Pink Floyd when working in the record store so I heard it a lot, never did anything for me. Well exception Pink Floyd Darkside of Moon and The Wall the recording quality was amazing so I listen to it for the audio.     Country as a guitar player I enjoyed playing Country and all the cool pedal steel and trick licks, but if not making money playing it I don't listen to Country.   Then the real Popish Pop like Abba and so on boring. 

So light your flamethrowers and have at it.   

Anything too complex or culturally distinct for me to plagiarize.

• Haha 1

Lab Mode splits between contemplative work and furious experiments.
Both of which require you to stay the hell away from everyone else.
This is a feature, not a bug.
Kraftwerk’s studio lab, Kling Klang,
 didn’t even have a working phone in it.
       ~ Warren Ellis

2 hours ago, Docbop said:

Then the real Popish Pop like Abba and so on boring. 

So light your flamethrowers and have at it.   

Ignition! I'm equally no fan of "boring" "Popish Pop", but Abba are much more than that. Compare "Voulez Vous" or "The Winner Takes It All" to anything by Justin Bieber, for example.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

anything pop. actually anything written starting with the year 2xxx. never left the 70's and probably never will.

There's plenty of good stuff being written, but you have to look for it. I've found all sorts of things - most of which sound like it's from the 70s, as it happens.

Cheers, Mike.

10 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

Ignition! I'm equally no fan of "boring" "Popish Pop", but Abba are much more than that. Compare "Voulez Vous" or "The Winner Takes It All" to anything by Justin Bieber, for example.

Cheers, Mike.

You can have Justin too.   

• Like 1

I'll go with late-1970's disco. While I like some of the songs, many involve Rhodes/piano, strings, horns, clav, and synth, all in the same tune. Whenever one of my band leaders decides to do one of these songs, I feel the acid instantly pour into my stomach. Then he will often say, "doesn't sound too hard." I counter with, "You realize you are asking me to reproduce a string section, horn section, not to mention piano, and the parts often covered by TWO keyboard players on stage." It's not only the time needed to learn the music, but then the challenges to program and map the sounds across two keyboards. I wish there was an emoji for "nightmare" to add to this post.

• Like 1

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

18 hours ago, timwat said:

On a serious note, true afro-cuban latin scares me to death. While I love listening to Irakare and similar, playing it and sounding legit is way above my pay grade. 

Dude, this is it. Interlopers identified at the downbeat.