Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What are the most iconic "looking" (not sounding) keyboards?

RABid

On 12/15/2023 at 2:55 PM, mate stubb said:

V301E_keyside.jpg

God, I wanted one of these so bad when I was starting out-

-dj

• Like 3

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

I’ve always thought it would be great if there was something designed like this, but with a built in piano sound and with a lighter weight action that got the board under 20kg. It really takes the acoustic piano design in terms of the polished finish, clean design, lack of buttons and the Kawai logo. Come on Yamaha!

IMG_4663.jpeg

• Like 1

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

image.png.18cf0605537820bfcbf6b70f1e078ba5.png

And yes, I'm being a little tongue-in-cheek, spurred on by Mike's post above.

But I used to demonstrate this for Casio... w did shows at CES, NAMM and later Musik Messe with two players (Ed Alstrom and myself, and two vocalists), doing tribute show to Gershwin, Stevie  Wonder and The Beatles. And I had one at home for a number of years. 

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, D. Gauss said:

Wow, brings back memories!  This was my 1st band keyboard…. and I remember playing my 1st song I ever tried to do with a “rock band” = “Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey, Goodbye” (“Kiss Him Goodbye”)!

• Like 1

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

19 hours ago, S_Gould said:

Keyboard.jpg

Let me take a wild guess: probably NOT going to be offered as a softsynth. 🤨 Great inclusion! 👍

As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty
 and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life- so I became a scientist.

This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
      ~ Matt Cartmill

On 12/15/2023 at 5:55 PM, mate stubb said:

V301E_keyside.jpg

Bought one cheap at a pawn shop years ago (before eBay) and fixed it up with the intention of using it for a recording.  I never did.  Before I relocated it was one of the music gear I purged, just did not have a use for it.

Oberheim experimented with the "reverse color" scheme back in the late 1970s but Tom did not care for the look.  However the ones that did get made were bought through employee purchase plans, including this one-of-a-kind drool-worthy dual manual eight voice.

oberheim_black_8_voice.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow! 1
  • Dislike 1

I don't know about iconic, but I ran across this the other day. I couldn't find any identifiers as to what it was.

PXL_20231213_233133721.thumb.jpg.bc16f3b6bf28c2a499b9ce5d5bc86a03.jpg

PXL_20231213_233153098.thumb.jpg.aa7d9ac503343cc7971751da8f9017b6.jpg

• Like 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

7 minutes ago, Synthaholic said:

I don't know about iconic, but I ran across this the other day. I couldn't find any identifiers as to what it was.

PXL_20231213_233133721.thumb.jpg.bc16f3b6bf28c2a499b9ce5d5bc86a03.jpg

PXL_20231213_233153098.thumb.jpg.aa7d9ac503343cc7971751da8f9017b6.jpg

I've seen one of those before.   I believe it's a pedal-operated mini pipe organ.   My friend had one, or he inherited it or something.    You had to pump the pedals to produce air to blow over the pipe embouchures or whatever they're called - at least that's how I think it worked.

• Like 1

^ Those are called harmoniums. We've had one such at our church and I played it as a kid. It was used in an auxiliary rehearsal room and my grandmother said it used to be the main church instrument in her youth when there was no electric organ. You have to constantly pump the bellows with the two pedals while playing. It had some registrations. But basically sounded more like an accordion and I remember everybody hated it 😀

• Like 1

Theres a few for me, starting with the Generalmusic Promega 3, the slanted front panel just makes it look classy.

1.jpg

GEM/Generalmusic S Series, love my S2 and the "flush" front panel is a great design decision, difficult to break off a knob or slider, and the unique pitch/mod wheels.

Img13239.jpg

The Technics PX-1, one of the first sampled digital pianos

SOS_86_04_technics_px1_large.jpg

Roland RD-1000, a fairly common early digital piano, one of the first good ones, looks so sleek with it's stand and pedal power supply.

09e797d41baf3fa47a91f552bdd251b5.jpg

The Hohner ADAM looks pretty interesting,

1.jpg

Something I own, the Motif XS line with it's beautiful duck egg blue colour scheme rather than the more common silver or black,

yamaha-motif-xs6-1427804.jpg

and naturally the DX1 with it's displays.

2001-09-retrofmpt2-2-BIAzBMhrfa8k15L9w4v

• Like 3
Stuff: Roland:SH-201/U-110/S-330/TR-626/M-48 Akai: miniAK/S6000 Yamaha:DX9/HS8/xs7 Korg:05R/W/AX10G Alesis: Vortex MK1 CME: UF70 classic V2/WIDI Behringer: DSP2024Px2/UMC204HD/101/340/D/03/8 ESI:1010e

Back in the 80’s, I was in love with the black and blue styling of Korg offerings such as the Poly 800 II, DW8000, DSS1, DS8 etc. As an eagle eyed teen, I could spot one of these a mile off on stage or in music stores. Not iconic as such, but I listed after many of them in the late 80’s.

IMG_0127.jpeg

IMG_0128.webp

IMG_0129.jpeg

IMG_0130.jpeg

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

I  suppose for us any keyboard we once had and now miss, or once we gassed over, has become "iconic."   Simply, That stetches the definition too far.   Might I suggest, for fun, keyboards your guitarist might see as emblematic.  I would wager on the B3, the Vox, the Farfisa ( if they are "of a certain  age") and a few telephone swithcboard looking synths.  The lights or colors that fascinate us, and tickle our memories, let's face it, mean nothing  to the  average Joe.

Iconic, not unique or interesting. I keep seeing those here.

Iconic: Vox Continental, Minimoog, DX7, all of the red Nords. Oh, and the Jupiter 8 with the brightly colored switches on the faceplate. So Iconic Roland used that look in its Jupiter re-dos.

• Like 1

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

On 12/16/2023 at 7:53 AM, CyberGene said:

I really love the military design of the Soviet Polivoks:

polivoks_back.jpg

In Soviet Russia synth plays YOU

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

32 minutes ago, kpl1228 said:

Iconic, not unique or interesting. I keep seeing those here.

Iconic: Vox Continental, Minimoog, DX7, all of the red Nords. Oh, and the Jupiter 8 with the brightly colored switches on the faceplate. So Iconic Roland used that look in its Jupiter re-dos.

Yes, the thread has veered from iconic designs to beautiful and/or unusual or otherwise interesting or trend-setting... though it's been a nice trip. 🙂

In the iconic-looking category... unless I missed them... I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Mellotron 400 or Clavinet D6. 

To nitpick your comment, I'm not sure I'd see the DX7 as an iconic design. It's an iconic instrument, for sure, but I don't find anything so distinctive about its visual design. It's almost distinctive in its lack of distinctiveness. 😉 And while the Nord color is identifying distinctive, I don't know that I'd say any particular Nord model has an iconic design.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

7 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

To nitpick your comment, I'm not sure I'd see the DX7 as an iconic design. It's an iconic instrument, for sure, but I don't find anything so distinctive about its visual design. It's almost distinctive in its lack of distinctiveness. 😉 And while the Nord color is identifying distinctive, I don't know that I'd say any particular Nord model has an iconic design.

I was thinking of the iconic-looking touch panel and the lack of knobs, influencing every synth touch panel design thereafter for a decade----for better and for worse.

• Like 1