Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Gimme Some Lovin" -- Lachy Doley Hammond SK2 Solo (with Leslie)

There's no doubting Lachy Doley's keyboard chops, although I will admit I've often thought some of his antics (?) were a bit over the top on other videos...  But that said, I'm really impressed with how he sculpts the sound of his Hammond solo on this rendering of "Gimme Some Lovin" by using the drawbars OFTEN.

I'd dare say...

He uses the drawbars in that one solo MORE than some Hammond players will in one gig!

Give it a listen!  It's a great rock organ tune, and Lachy does a great job with it!

Old No7

• Like 3

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

I only made it a minute into it. To me Gimme Some Lovin' is is more than a classic - it's essential. The song just doesn't sound right in E, and especially doesn't sound right given his take on the vocals. 

Others I'm sure will disagree, and as always I respect everyone's opinion in this forum. Just my gut reaction guys...

• Like 3

Whoa - that's the last player I'd expect to see using a single brace x-stand. :o 

Just the wobbles it has are scaring me, and having seen the energy he puts in other performances, I think it's way under-spec for him. :D 

• Like 3

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

1. Tempo is way too fast and his vocals sounds more rock.

2. The soul of the original gets lost in the showmanship

3. Too much overplaying.. didn't like the comping during the verses

• Like 2

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

1. Butchers a classic song for no rhyme or reason. 

2. Can't sing   (Lead Must sing no matter what ==  Linda Lavin complex*).

3. Seems to be more act than talent.  Which is strange since the worldwide demand for organ playing with bad vocals would seem to be minimal.

• Like 3

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

7 minutes ago, JazzPiano88 said:

...since the worldwide demand for organ playing with bad vocals would seem to be minimal.

Darn it!  There goes my retirement gig...........

Interesting responses above; I figured it would generate a few +/-, and that's to be expected.

Old No7

• Like 1

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

8 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

I guess there is still hope for me as a vocalist.....

The Hammond's overdrive ....   meh

yeh I’m pretty sure Lachy would agree with you on the overdrive, I had a conversation with him at a gig where he had to use an XK-3, he’s not a fan of clones but sometimes he’s gotta use one to play the gig.

Agree the vocal isn’t one of his best, made worse as he’s stepping into Winwood’s shoes, It’s really not in his wheelhouse and as such not a great choice imo

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

On 9/12/2023 at 12:21 PM, Bill H. said:

I only made it a minute into it. To me Gimme Some Lovin' is is more than a classic - it's essential. The song just doesn't sound right in E, and especially doesn't sound right given his take on the vocals. 

Others I'm sure will disagree, and as always I respect everyone's opinion in this forum. Just my gut reaction guys...

I've learned through the years that is sounds WAAAY better in E than it would  with a singer who can't hit the notes in the original key...just sayin'

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Old No7 said:

Darn it!  There goes my retirement gig...........

Interesting responses above; I figured it would generate a few +/-, and that's to be expected.

Old No7

Not only that, the negative responses are from the exact people I knew they'd be from

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Cover tunes will always be a slippery slope. It's hard to please everybody in the crowd.  Especially those expecting to hear something 1) close to the original or 2) that knocks them on their azz.

H8ll, when original artists/musicians take liberties with their own songs, some musicians, er, folks in the audience won't appreciate it.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

3 hours ago, Bobbo Fett said:

I've learned through the years that is sounds WAAAY better in E than it would  with a singer who can't hit the notes in the original key...just sayin'

The key doesn't bug me, but I did find myself wondering...if you're going to change the key anyway, why not pick one you are really comfortable in?

• Like 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I'm pretty sure Ham-Suz clones can sound better than that (especially the XK5 with its tube for OD) but I enjoyed the performance and his fun take on this classic. Nothing can top, or even equal, the original, IMO, but it's not blasphemy to try a different approach. 

Not a big fan of some of LD's theatrics but it seemed he didn't take himself too seriously, and fun was had by all. I didn't even mind his singing too much- not stellar but good enough, if a little strained.. and like many musician non-singers, I can be a harshly judgmental A-hole when it comes to other's vocals. 

Like Wine said, tough room.    

• Like 4

I give him points for having the good taste to use a quatrefoil C cabinet….. Haven’t seen a real one in years.

• Like 2

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

19 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

The key doesn't bug me, but I did find myself wondering...if you're going to change the key anyway, why not pick one you are really comfortable in?

It seems like (from my experience) that E is the go to alternate key....probably because anything lower moves the octave lick up the neck for guitar and bass......

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bobbo Fett said:

It seems like (from my experience) that E is the go to alternate key....probably because anything lower moves the octave lick up the neck for guitar and bass......

Yes, that makes complete sense. Nice call. 

• Like 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com