Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL thread 2023-2024

Jacobs is one of the better RBs in the NFL (in fact led the league last year in yds I believe) so I think they're fine there...their biggest problem now is shoring up a woeful D, and it's IMO highly likely to be a DL with that first pick.

Meanwhile the pens are flying still! Some highlights:

- Darnold signs with SF (an odd move IMO, but I guess they're gun shy after the QB injury disaster last year) 

- Falcons spending big, extending OG Lindstrum and CB Bates among others

- Another odd move is that the Panthers are shopping last year's 3d round pick QB Corral....odd because of the Darnold signing. I know they pick #1, but don't you need some kind of backup QB? Do they even have one now? 

- OL McGlinchy signing a whopper of a contract with the Broncos

- DL Hargrave also signed a massive contract with the 49ers

Oddly quiet are the Colts, who have plenty of holes, mostly on offense, and have signed exactly zero players in an attitude reminiscent of last year, which didn't exactly work in their favor. 

2 hours ago, bill5 said:

Oddly quiet are the Colts, who have plenty of holes, mostly on offense, and have signed exactly zero players in an attitude reminiscent of last year, which didn't exactly work in their favor. 

I stand corrected. They just made a move, spending almost $6M/yr on......a kicker. Biggest PK signing ever. LOL

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, ProfD said:

The handwriting was on the wall when HC Josh McDaniels show up in Vegas.  The ink became visible when QB Derek Carr was released.

The Raiders are giving QB Jimmy G a 3 year/$67.5M contract with $34M fully quaranteed. 

QB Jimmy G fell out of favor with the 49ers due to injuries and average play.

With that in mind, I don't believe the Raiders will make the playoffs with QB Jimmy G under center.😎

Jimmy G was unable to provide a comeback against KC with a short amount of time on the clock in that SB. Since then he has spent a lot of time injured instead of playing.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

22 hours ago, bill5 said:

- Another odd move is that the Panthers are shopping last year's 3d round pick QB Corral....odd because of the Darnold signing. I know they pick #1, but don't you need some kind of backup QB? Do they even have one now? 

Now they do, signing Dalton as a veteran backup to probably Stroud or Young. Poor Dalton! He was much better off with the Saints.

- Giants traded a 3d round pick for Raiders TE Waller. If he stays healthy, this is a great move for them because they need receivers badly.
- Colts cut Matt Ryan. He's now in Dalton-Darnold land, the veteran unlikely to get more than a backup job and probably should retire. Shame the Colts didn't give him more to work with last year. 
- Falcons sign Heinieke and the Commanders appear all in on Howell. Yikes. Have to wonder if they might grab a second-tier QB in the draft

Green Bay seems to have officially entered rebuild mode:

Source: Jets, WR Allen Lazard agree to 4-year, $44M deal

It’s likely that Randall Cobb will be next, followed shortly thereafter by Aaron Rodgers, establishing a PackJets offense in New York.

In the meantime, the Jordan Love era will start with a receiving corps that’s even younger than Love is. (I’m grateful, at least, that the running back tandem of Aaron Jones and A. J. Dillon remains intact.)

Before the Packers showed Brett Favre the door, Favre described the team around him as the most talented young players he had ever worked with. Sure enough, Rodgers won the Super Bowl with that group of players just a few years later. 

Conversely, Rodgers (presumably) is leaving a group of receivers that showed little promise and taking some of the best veterans left on the team with him. It’s a shame Love will have to start with a depleted squad, after Rodgers was handed a championship-level team.

My expectations are low for the next few years in Green Bay.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Rogers added stability to the Packers Offense for years. Too bad he was unwilling to put the kind of commitment to working with his receivers before the season started. He was too busy vacationing on the west coast for preseason anything. If Rogers goes to the Jets, the New York press will make mince meat out of him if he doesn't win games, It could be fun to watch.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

17 hours ago, bill5 said:

As with the Colts when they had Manning then Luck, the Packer fans were spoiled QB-wise and generally for many years. They both look like some tough years ahead. 

Oh yeah, we Packers fans had a great streak. From Brett Favre’s first start in September, 1992 to Aaron Rodgers’s last start in January, 2023, Green Bay had over 30 consecutive years of Hall-of-Famers at quarterback. As far as I know, no other team has equaled that stretch. (Of course, I’m presuming both that Rodgers will make the Hall-of-Fame and that his days as a Packer are over.)

The closest length of back-to-back Hall-of-Famers at quarterback I can think of begins with Joe Montana’s first start midway through the 1980 season to Steve Young’s last start in 1999, and that was less than 20 consecutive years. 

I do feel spoiled as a fan. Even if there were only three Super Bowl appearances to show for it, it's still better than a lot of teams have had during that time period.

Best,

Geoff

• Like 2

By the way (for those keeping score) the last time the Packers sent their starting quarterback to the Jets, they improved to 9-7 under Favre, after having finished 4-12 under Chad Pennington the year before. At the same time, the Packers fell to 6-10 in Rodgers’s debut, after having finished 13-3 under Favre the previous year.

Here’s our conversation from back then about Favre being traded to the Jets:

Official NFL 2008-2009 Thread

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

Baker Mayfield to the Bucs.  1 year deal, so relatively low risk and low cost in this crazy QB market.

Bucs new OC is Dave Canales, who revived Geno Smith's career in Seattle.

The Bucs apparently have a salary cap problem, so making an offer for Lamar Jackson.... not happening...

The Bucs hold pick #19 in the first round btw.

Apparently, the Jets and the Packers are still negotiating on the Rodgers trade:

Aaron Rodgers says he wants to play for Jets in 2023

Rodgers confirmed that the Packers were ready for him to move on. They would have preferred for him to retire; but if he wanted to play, then they wanted him to play somewhere else. As a result, he now wants to play for the Jets.

The Packers organization is consistent, I’ll give them that: MVP quarterbacks get 15-16 years and then it’s next man up. I get it though: 15-16 years is a long time in the not-for-long business of the NFL.

Best,

Geoff

I had a feeling that RB Ezekiel Elliott was done in Dallas after last season. 

Zeke's contract and sharing the load with RB Tony Pollard who would eventually have to get paid too was untenable.

Great landing spots for Zeke would be Buffalo or Tampa Bay.😎

• Like 3

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I watched several NFL related broadcasters say that the Jets are finished trying to make a deal with Rogers. In addition to the huge salary hit they would have to take AND give up draft picks weren't enough, Rogers is telling the Jet what receivers he wants in the Jets line up if they want him under center. Rogers has a high opinion of his value in the NFL that is NOT shared by anyone else. Pathetic.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

Baker Mayfield to the Bucs.  1 year deal, so relatively low risk and low cost in this crazy QB market.

Bucs new OC is Dave Canales, who revived Geno Smith's career in Seattle.

The Bucs apparently have a salary cap problem, so making an offer for Lamar Jackson.... not happening...

The Bucs hold pick #19 in the first round btw.

...which could be Richardson. Mayfield is a smart, nothing to lose/plenty to gain move.

3 hours ago, MikeT156 said:

I watched several NFL related broadcasters say that the Jets are finished trying to make a deal with Rogers. In addition to the huge salary hit they would have to take AND give up draft picks weren't enough, Rogers is telling the Jet what receivers he wants in the Jets line up if they want him under center. Rogers has a high opinion of his value in the NFL that is NOT shared by anyone else. Pathetic.

Yet not at all surprising. He's a putz and is living in the past. Maybe he needs a phone call from Favre going "Dude. Retire. And don't change your mind afterwards; you'll only look like even more of a putz." 

Meanwhile, RB Sanders has signed with the Panthers. IMO the guy is a classic case of the saying "stats are for losers." His stats look great on paper, but I've seen him play numerous times and he was underwhelming every single time, often being out-played by other RBs on the team. It would seem Philly came to the same conclusion

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GovernorSilver said:

I guess you think the Colts at #4 will pick Levis instead of Richardson

I think it's possible but who knows...IMO their smart move is trade down and take neither, going for a second-tier guy and if it doesn't work, aim for "the guy" next year.

The Bucs have signed RB Chase Edmonds to a 1 year deal. 

Guess we scratch the Bucs off the Zeke potential landing spot list.

The Commanders have signed veteran QB Jacoby Brissett to motivate QB Sam Howell.

QB Brissett has been serviceable throughout his career.  He's not going to lead a championship team.  But, I've heard that he's a smart football player and a good guy to have in the locker room. 😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Jameis Winston stays in New Orleans, despite knowing he'll have to back up Derek Carr.   Carr expressed approval via an excited tweet.

OTOH, the Saints also signed Storm Norton, the ex-Charger OT who proved he's not starting NFL material.  He lost his starting job, then lost the backup swing tackle job.  For Carr's sake the starting OTs better stay healthy 😱

• Haha 1

Looks like DT Jalen Carter is will plead no contest. Other than 12 months probation, $1,000 fine, 80 hours community service and having to complete a defensive driving course approved by the state...he's free to move on with his life and career.😎

PD

4 hours ago, bill5 said:

Won't impact his going very high in the draft. Unfortunately.

It's still not too late for NFL owners to mark him with a scarlet letter and keep him from being drafted at all.😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

PD

6 hours ago, bill5 said:

No surprise there. "All" he's guilty of is DWI and wreckless driving. Won't impact his going very high in the draft. Unfortunately.

Well.. reckless, yes;  but it  sure wasn't "wreckless".

• Haha 1

On 3/13/2023 at 12:36 PM, GovernorSilver said:

Perhaps the Raiders are attempting to follow the Niners blueprint - surround non-superstar, but competent veteran QB with loaded roster.  They have Adams and Waller. 

DID have Adams and Waller… 🙄

Not sure I understand the thinking behind trading Waller to NYG…for a third round draft pick???  :idk::wacko:

dB

• Wow! 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk: