Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL thread 2023-2024

12 hours ago, wineandkeyz said:

We'll see. It depends on how stuck Jackson is on getting a fully guaranteed contract. If a QB-needy team has multiple #1s and some cap space, they might at least test the waters.

Hmm....the teams with multiple #1s are the

- Texans, who hold the second overall pick and will almost certainly draft their QB of the future there

- Lions, who after a great year by Goff are unlikely to "waste" a draft pick on a QB when they have bigger needs and are already a legit playoff contender

- Eagles, who obviously aren't in the QB market

- Seahawks, who just signed a huge deal with Geno Smith

Anything is possible but I don't see Jackson going anywhere. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MAJUSCULE said:

“The blockbuster deal sends from Denver to Seattle two first-round picks, No. 9 overall this year and a 2023 first-rounder; two second-round picks, No. 40 overall pick this year and a 2023 second-rounder, this year's fifth-round pick, tight end Noah Fant, quarterback Drew Lock and defensive end Shelby Harris.”

The return for Russell Wilson, almost exactly a year ago, who then signed a big money deal shortly thereafter… every situation is different, but I wouldn’t bet against someone spending two firsts.

?? That is a perfect example of why you wouldn't want to. 

Sidenote, gonna annoy Bill and Gov with this one again after talking their ears off in the CFB thread, but how about my guy Anthony Richardson at the combine? Record-setting performance on the field and, from all accounts, knocked the interview portion out of the park as well. I mean, the dude has comparable results to people like Derrick Henry and Khalil Mack while making 70-yard bombs look effortless. Needs more reps and accuracy training, but anyone believe the #1 hype? I seriously doubt he gets out of the top ten, at the very least.

lol - not annoyed at all, but also not impressed, as I put little if any stock in the over-hyped combine. If I had a nickel for every guy who knocked it out of the park at the combine and fizzled in the NFL, I could retire. I have nothing against him either, but if anyone drafts him higher than late first (if that), I will lmao @ that team. Of course, they may have the last laugh who knows? Maybe he's the next Mahomes. But I doubt it. Guys inaccurate in college rarely become significantly more accurate after being "coached up."

This reminds me somewhat of last year, when most were predicting (at least) three or four QBs drafted in the first. Only one was and people were scratching their heads at why. I can see something similar happening this year. IMO there are two QBs worthy of a top pick, Young and Stroud, and while I like both, they have their share of question marks. If I was a GM I would absolutely not reach by selling the farm to get a higher pick and secure any QB this year. 

I do not recall any mention of the Jets brass meeting with QB Aaron Rodgers about joining their team. 

It would be deja vu if AR ended up in NY.  Seems another HOF Packer QB went the same route about 15 years ago.😁

Personally, I do not see the gain for either AR or the Jets.  The team is nowhere near playoff caliber. 

I'm sure the Jets could find a better way of spending $50M per season instead of a QB 2 years away from retirement.😎

• Like 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

There's one thing standing in the way of Rogers retiring. GREED. He wants another payday if any team is stupid enough to give it to him.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

The Chargers restructured the contracts of both Keenan Allen and Mike Williams, thus putting an end to speculation that the Chargers would cut Allen to get under the salary cap.   This really just buys them one more year to find a long term replacement for Allen.   None of the current backups have earned that spot.

They are still over $8 mill over the cap, so I guess they must be looking at other positions to cut.  Salyer was drafted as a guard, but played relatively well as emergency left tackle in 2022.  The starting left guard spot is his now, so guard Matt Feiler is the next no-brainer cut.

As a Packers fan, I’m grateful that my favorite team has had back-to-back hall-of-fame quarterbacks, because I realize how rare that is.

When Brett Favre was going through his retired/unretired phase, I wasn’t eager to move on to Aaron Rodgers because I knew it would be unlikely to have another hall-of-fame quarterback succeed Favre.

Similarly, I’m not eager to see the Jordan Love era begin, even though I know it’s inevitable that Rodgers will soon move on—either to another team or retirement. 

Nonetheless, just as Rodgers sat for years, learning by watching one of the all-time greats, so has Love; and by all accounts, Rodgers has been more generous in sharing his insight with Love than Favre was with Rodgers. That can only increase the odds in favor of Love succeeding.

As far as I know, no team has ever had three hall-of-fame quarterbacks in a row. May the Packers be the first.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Well Geoff

I grew up watching NFL football as early as the late 1950s. I admired the Green Bay Packers accomplishments and was sad when Vince Lombardi died. I got a kick out of Farve and the rocket balls he could throw. After all their efforts they only won one SB with that team. It is necessary to have a complete team on the field every year, but injuries to key players can kill you. As you know, I am NOT a fan of Rogers. He is all about himself and has not been willing to give the kind of commitment to winning that is necessary to win more than one SB. Rogers is selfish. self centered, and all about himself. He's an asshole. Period. Time to move on, much like his long time girl friend that had enough of Rogers. Good Riddance. I'll be pulling for Title Town again, even though I'm a Life Long Steelers Fan.

• Like 1

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Bears trading No. 1 overall pick to Panthers for haul that includes WR DJ Moore, sources say

It looks like the Bears will also receive Carolina's first-round selection at No. 9, the 61st pick (late second round), a 2024 first-round selection and a 2025 second-round pick.

Best,

Geoff

The Epitaph for Rogers is it is better to be a has=been than a never was. 😃

Yep. If I'm a Bear fan I'm giddy; if I'm a Panthers fan, I am doing a major face palm. Whoever they draft better be great, or this will set the franchise back years. Even if he is great, as surfergirl said, who's he throwing to? They better make some deft FA moves because their drafts are going to be otherwise weak for at least 2 years. And this is a pretty weak WR FA crop. OBJ maybe and pray he stays healthy? 

And now teams like the Texans and Colts and Raiders are going "####" (fill in fav curse word here). 

Panthers new HC Frank Reich is offense-minded. Team must believe they can find decent WRs either 1) buried in the draft and/or 2) depth chart on another team.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

With this many new picks, the Bears can surround Justin Fields with all kinds of help, a la Niners. Now it won't matter so much if he never develops into a QB on the level of Mahommes or Hurts - assuming their front office uses those picks wisely.   But if he does,  watch out!

Maybe. He does have a valid excuse in that he didn't have enough support to succeed. If they do as one would expect and significantly improve the OL and receiving corps, that excuse will be gone and we'll see how much of him sucking was that lack of support or if maybe he really wasn't a legit QB after all. Interesting times for Bears' fans though.

Frankly I don't recall why but I did not like the Vikes and so Grant as a kid, similar to Landry and the Cowboys. But I always respected that he was a great coach. Hideously underrated now in fact because he committed the unpardonable crime of not winning a title. 

• Like 1

Sources: Rams trading star CB Jalen Ramsey to Dolphins

Ramsey seems to have lost a step, so maybe this loss isn’t as bad as it seems. It sure was good to have a lockdown corner on the team, though.

Certainly, at this point, the Rams need all the draft picks they can get. I don't know how much tight end Hunter Long will help, but I'm hoping for the best.

Best,

Geoff

As far as I know the Rams have zip at TE, so it's probably an upgrade. :)  Ramsey is still great; this was a cost-cutting move. Those big fat contracts the Rams spent on top FAs are coming to dinner. They were fortunate to get a 3d rounder, even if Ramsey is worth more. The Fins looked poised for a run if their QB can stay healthy. 

• Cool 1

WR Adam Thielen's football story was a great one. 

I hope that WR Thielen had some say in his release maybe in order to play for another team. 

Several championship caliber teams could use Thielen as a veteran WR. The Bills would be wise to pick him up.😎

• Like 1

PD

Austin Ekeler requesting permission to speak with other teams about a potential trade.

He's been fun to watching a Charger uni.  On the one hand, I can't blame him for wanting to be paid.  On the other hand, the Chargers are still over the cap, even after they restructured the contracts of both starting WRs and both starting defensive edge players.

11 minutes ago, bill5 said:

Jimmy G signs a big contract with the Raiders. That doesn't preclude them from drafting a QB with their #1 pick, but it seems highly unlikely now.

The handwriting was on the wall when HC Josh McDaniels show up in Vegas.  The ink became visible when QB Derek Carr was released.

The Raiders are giving QB Jimmy G a 3 year/$67.5M contract with $34M fully quaranteed. 

QB Jimmy G fell out of favor with the 49ers due to injuries and average play.

With that in mind, I don't believe the Raiders will make the playoffs with QB Jimmy G under center.😎

PD